AASD Weekly Update 02-22-18
- BARGAINING UPDATES
Bargaining was held on February 21.
AASD is pleased to announce that we reached a tentative agreement on four articles (two classified, two certificated). The most important news to report is that in a tentative agreement on Article 5, Hours of Employment, AASD was able to reach agreement with the District to change the ongoing permanent work year reduction to a temporary two-year furlough!!!! What this means is that instead of the work year reduction days being ongoing there will be a sunset (ending) date of June 30, 2019. On July 1, 2019, the furlough days will be restored and salaries will be adjusted accordingly. This is great news for our unit. Our members have been on an ongoing 11, 12 or 14 day permanent work year reduction which has resulted in workload issues, vacation accrual problems, and loss of salary. Through the diligent work of your union over the past year, these issues have been shared with Board of Education members and district leadership. They listened. And did the right thing!
For those 10-month classified unit members (particularly Food Services Supervisors and Area Supervisors), this means that effective July 1, 2019, the “smoothing” (pay spread over 11-months) will cease and revert back to 10 pay. In addition, the forced vacation at holiday periods will return.
For our AASD units (classified and certificated), effective July 1, 2019, the individual flexible calendar option will cease. District work calendars will be designed and employees must follow those calendars unless they are on an approved type of leave. (For 2018-19, individual flexible calendars may still be submitted.)
In addition, a tentative agreement was reach on Article 7 for both classified and certificated AASD members.
Our next bargaining session is March 7, 2018.
for copies of the four tentative agreements.
For previous Bargaining updates, please click here
to view the documents
EMPLOYEE WELL BEING – FREE FROM VEBA!
The VEBA Board of Directors is excited to introduce an expansion of services to support employee well-being in 2018! VEBA has increased the resources available to help employees manage their emotional, social, financial, and physical health. VEBA’s Well-Being Program focuses on delivering services to members that will help them become their healthiest selves. Please review the attached announcement flyer for a preview of some of our great new offerings! VEBA will be rolling out new programs and classes over the coming months and encourage you to give them a try at your sites or departments. The Well-Being Program is provided for free as part of the VEBA benefits package. Click here for more information (insert flyer). To learn more or schedule a class at your school site/department, please reach out to VEBA’s Wellness Coordinator, Wendy Ramirez, at email@example.com or (619) 961-2052.
EMPOWER HOUR SELF-DEFENSE WORKSHOP.
Interested in learning more about self-defense? Sign up now for the Empower Hour women’s group self-defense class which will be held on February 27 from 5:00-7:00 p.m. at the AASD office. Appetizers, beverages and door prizes will be provided. There is limited seating, so please only sign up if you are planning to attend. If the sign up is full, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
to be placed on the waiting list. This event is sponsored by CALPRO, California Casualty,VEBA, ACSA Region 18 and AASD. Click here
for more information. Click on the following link to RSVP
At the request of our members, AASD is now acknowledging deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
At this time, AASD has the following information to report:
Jack Brandais, retired Supervisor, Communications Department, suffered a massive heart attack over the past weekend and passed away at the young age of 59. He was a journalist, author and an asset to so many of our district staff members. AASD extends our sincere condolences to Jack’s family, including his mother and his cat “Mr. Big.” A Memorial Service will be held on Monday, February 26 ,at 11:30 AM at the San Diego Automotive Museum, 2080 Pan American Plaza, San Diego, CA 92101.
Mirna Estrada, Principal, Memorial Preparatory,
recently lost her mother, Nemesia Estrada. AASD extends our sincere sympathy to Mirna and her family. Services are being held at Greenwood Memorial Park & Mortuary (4300 Imperial Avenue, 92113) February 23 at 10:00 am in the Garden Chapel and the graveside service will take place at 11:00 on the Eastlake Lawn.
- CERTIFICATED WORKLOAD UPDATES
The next Workload Work Group
meeting will be on February 28. For previous workload updates click here. AASD is keeping certificated workload at the forefront and will continue to advocate for our members!
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-REPRESENTED CERTIFICATED JOB POSTINGS
None at this time.
AASD-REPRESENTED CLASSIFIED JOB POSTINGS
None at this time.
- MARCH 15 NOTICES FOR CERTIFICATED AASD UNIT MEMBERS. Information from the District is that March 15 notices will be issued to certificated AASD members using the process the District has been using over the past couple of years.
March 15 notices will be issued to:
Targeted Principals Only (Those Principals who are on intensive support)
All Vice Principals (Those who the District believes may/will be affected will be called to a meeting in Human Resources. An AASD representative will also be invited to the meeting.)
All Central Office Certificated Managers (Those who the District believes may/will be affected will be called to a meeting in Human Resources. An AASD representative will also be invited to the meeting.)
Exactly what is a March 15 notice?
It’s a notice given by districts to certificated administrators notifying them that they may be released, demoted, or reassigned for the following school year beginning July 1. (California Education Code, Section 44951)
The notice may be delivered to the employee in two ways.
Either by registered mail or hand delivered. If the notice is hand delivered, the district must obtain a signature from the employee signifying it was received.
Does the Board of Education have to approve the March 15 notices?
The Board of Education must approve the second step in the process, which is final notice with the specific action to be taken, prior to July 1.
What advice do you have for AASD certificated members who suspect they may be receiving a March 15 notice?
Contact the AASD office for guidance and representation.
- NEW AND IMPROVED AASD WEBSITE! Our AASD website is now up and running and re-vamped! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website will be kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (regular members, retirees and affiliate members). If you have any feedback on the new website, please e-mail email@example.com with your comments. We hope our new website will be a great resource for you!
- AASD POSITION ELIMINATIONS. AASD has been notified by the District that 10 classified manager/supervisor positions and eight certificated central office manager positions are being recommended for elimination effective July 1. Out of the ten classified AASD positions, three AASD members are impacted (seven positions are vacant). All eight certificated positions are filled by AASD members.). AASD has been told that all AASD members who are affected by these position eliminations have been notified. AASD has already formally notified the District of our demand to bargain the of the position eliminations, AASD values our members and will provide as much support and service as we possibly can to all affected members during this difficult time.
- UNDER INVESTIGATION? IT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE! Yes, it is true! It can happen to anyone! If an AASD member receives a call, e-mail or letter from Human Resources or Quality Assurance stating there is a complaint filed against them or that they are under investigation, this must be taken seriously. While most complaints are frivolous and seem benign or irrelevant (or even silly), it is highly recommended that AASD members contact AASD Executive Director, Donis Coronel, for representation and support. Even the most insignificant complaint or investigation can become serious. Please visit the AASD website for Donis’ contact information http://aasdcs.org/about-us/staff/
- CONGRATULATIONS! Each year, ACSA Region 18, holds an event in April where they honor colleagues from San Diego and Imperial Counties in various administrative categories. AASD is proud to report that there are two winners from San Diego Unified this year – Al Love, Director, CCTE (category – Career Technical Education) and Erin Leszynski, Vice Principal, Mission Bay High (category – Secondary Co-Administrator). Additionally, AASD also congratulates Tom Teagle, who is the Executive Director for ACSA Region 18, on being selected as the Retired Administrator of the Year. For a full list of winners from San Diego/Imperial Counties click here.
All winners will be honored at the Honoring Our Own Awards event on April 27, 2018. More information about the event will be forthcoming.
- SCHOLARSHIPS FOR HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS IN SAN DIEGO AND IMPERIAL COUNTIES. Region 18, Association of California School Administrators (ACSA) is offering four $1,000 scholarships to four high school seniors. Please click here for the application. The deadline to apply is March 31, 2018.
- MARK YOUR CALENDAR NOW AND SIGN UP VIA ERO FOR THE AASD/SDUSD SPRING CONFERENCE (MANDATORY ATTENDANCE FOR ALL AASD MEMBERS) Our annual AASD/SDUSD Spring Conference will be held on March 20, 2018, from 7:00 AM to 12 noon, at the Scottish Rite Event Center in Mission Valley. Our theme this year is Find Balance – Keep Moving – a theme that resonates with all of us. As the great Albert Einstein said, “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” The AASD Professional Development Committee, co-chaired by John Hensley and Carlos Ramirez, has worked hard to create a morning of professional development and networking that provides AASD members with useful and helpful insight and information to assist with finding balance and to help us all keep moving. Click here to view the flyer, which provides all of the information about the event, and sign up via ERO soon! This event is co-hosted by AASD and SDUSD. The complimentary breakfast is sponsored by CALPRO and Mission Federal Credit Union.
- SAVE THE DATES FOR AASD EVENTS! The following dates are for AASD-sponsored activities during the 2017-18 school year. Please mark your calendar now and save the date. These events are for all AASD members - Regular, Affiliate and Retired. More information will be forthcoming regarding each event. Our union is only as strong as the membership and your participation!
- March 20, 2018, 7:00 am-12:30 pm, Spring P.D. Conference, Scottish Rite Event Center, Mission Valley. Click here to view flyer.
- May 10, 2018, 4-7 pm, AASD Spring Membership Meeting, Marina Village, Catalina Room (new location)
- June 22, 2018, 5-10 pm, AASD Summerfest, Marina Village, Seaside Room
ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS!
AASD is pleased to announce a new partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with just under ten years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members, AASD Members-Police Management Association (PMA), AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail
firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
CALCOAST CARES! ANNOUNCING SCHOLARSHIPS FOR FOSTER STUDENTS AND COLLEGE-BOUND HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS!
Please review CalCoast's flyer on available scholarship information. Scholarship applications are available at calcoastcu.org. All applications must be received by, or postmarked no later than, March 31, 2018.
for the Foster student application, and
for the College-bound high school student application.
- NORTH ISLAND CREDIT UNION ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM IS NOW AVAILABLE!
North Island Credit Union, A Division of California Credit Union, is pleased to announce their Annual Scholarship Program is now available. Their program is designed to acknowledge exceptional students throughout the greater San Diego area. They will award 10 scholarships of $1,000 each to students who are motivated in their academic endeavors, active in their schools, and contributing to their community, giving back to others through their participation, service, and volunteer work. Submission of an essay and letter of recommendation will provide a testament to the character and abilities of the student applicant. Applications will be accepted until March 16, 2018.
- Graduating high school senior enrolling into a two- or four-year college
or Community college student transferring into a four-year university
- Minimum 3.0 grade point average (GPA)
- Evidence of community and/or school involvement
- Online applications are being accepted through March 16, 2018.
For more information please see
to apply or visit
CONTINUED MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA).
As was reported in June, the District notified AASD that they will no longer pay their share (50%) of the ACSA dues for AASD members. For the past three years, AASD and SDUSD had an agreement whereupon the District paid 50% of the cost of ACSA dues and AASD paid 50% of the cost of ACSA dues. All AASD members were then provided with membership in ACSA, as well as professional development activities, as part of the agreement. The agreement ended 6/30/2017.
There are many benefits of continuing to be an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link).
ACSA is offering a one-year special for AASD members of membership for one dollar ($1) per day. Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in continuing membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link)
and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at email@example.com. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes.
Click here f
or more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" FROM WILD AT WORK. Check out the discount program by Wild at Work – BenefitHub! All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of a variety of terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home. Visit their website at www.wildatwork.com (you will be redirected to the "Benefit Hub" website). Click on “Register” and under “Employees,” enter “AASD” for the company name. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or
need assistance with the Wild at Work or Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS.
AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members. Regal tickets are $8.50 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $16.90 each. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $19.90, which saves you $3.00 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.