AASD Weekly Update 03-21-18
AASD CONTRACT SETTLEMENT FOR BOTH CLASSIFIED AND CERTIFICATED! Yesterday, the AASD bargaining teams reached a tentative agreement with the District on a 3-year contract! The highlights of the tentative agreement are:
- A THREE-YEAR CONTRACT for 2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-2020 with guaranteed REOPENERS OF THE WAGE ARTICLE PLUS UP TO TWO OTHER ARTICLES in 2018-19 (for a potential wage increase in 2019-2020).
- A change from a PERMANENT WORK YEAR REDUCTION to a TWO-YEAR FURLOUGH for 2017-18 and 2018-19 meaning that the PERMANENT WORK YEAR REDUCTION days member’s currently have (anywhere from three days to fourteen days, depending on job title) will stop on June 30, 2019 and all members will revert back to their full calendar that was in place on June 30, 2017. This will also result in wages being increased back to what they were on June 30, 2017 which will equate to an approximate 5%-5.5% increase (with the exception of vice-principals who have less furlough days).
- A true EQUITY CLAUSE that guarantees member’s compensation if another bargaining unit or employee group receives an across-the-board salary increase or an off-schedule bonus.
- Improved language regarding the use of PERSONAL NECESSITY DAYS allowing much more flexibility.
- Increase in the funding for PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT activities and acknowledgement of the district as a partner in the annual AASD/SDUSD Spring Conference.
- Creation of a new stipend to address the issue of STAND-BY DUTY assigned to Custodial Services Supervisors.
- The next AASD Weekly Update (April 5) will contain copies of all of the tentative agreements and a summary of all of the changes for your perusal prior to voting
IMPORTANT: Voting by the AASD membership to ratify the contract will occur as follows below. In order to ratify, we must have a 50% plus 1 affirmative vote. This is your union and your contract. Please take the time to vote. Voting will be held at the AASD Office, 3505 Camino del Rio South #264 (Padre Plaza/Mission Valley), San Diego CA 92108 as follows:
- Wednesday, April 11, 2018 from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Thursday, April 12, 2018 from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Friday, April 13, 2018 from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- OFFICE CLOSURE FOR SPRING BREAK !
The AASD Office will be closed from Monday, March 26 through Friday , March30. We will re-open at 8:00 a.m. on Monday , April 2. If you have an urgent matter during the holiday period, please contact Donis Coronel, Executive Director, at 619-813-8792 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SPRING CONFERENCE! Thank you to all who attended the AASD/SDUSD Spring Conference on March 20. It was a wonderful morning of professional learning, inspiration and reflection.
Thank you to our vendor partners who make this event possible and to our attendees for visiting the vendor tables. The following door prizes have been awarded:
Congratulations to the following attendees who won Mike Gellman’s book – Pipe Dreams, 7 Pipelines of Career Success. Ed Baisley, Ricardo Barra, Hector Bravo, Robin Brennan, Yvonne Cardoza, Christina Casillas, Renee Corti, Maureen Cottrell, Nadine Debrodie, Linda Disbro, Lisa Dreyer, Jennifer Fesback, Jesus Garcia, Andrew Gilbert, Sophia Glover, Carrie Hall, Patti Heck, Cristine Holmer, arch Claudia Jordan, Jamie Jorgensen, Stephanie Kennedy, Susan Kent, Dustin Lanigan, James Lee, Jeff Luna, Audra Mandler, Heather Martin, Sylvia Mireles, Jesus Montana, David Moreno, Jenney Nash, Bill Pearson, Nancy Picone, Kim Richardson, Chris Schuesa, Ann Scott, Michelle Shin, Liz Sloan, Maria Smith, Susie Sovereign, Brian Spry, Philip Teates, Jeff Thomas, Miko Uhuru, and Elba Vera The book will be mailed via school mail to the winners. (If you already received the book by attending Mike’s session, please pass the book on to a colleague!)
Desk Post It Gift from Concordia -- Susie Fore and Brian Spry
Gift Basket from California Coast Credit Union – Ed Baisley
Gift Card for Einstein Bros Bagels from California Casualty -- Darin Vey
$15 Jamba Juice from CALPRO, Mission Federal Credit Union and AASD – Yoshiko Welch, Brian Kenworthy, Cristine Holmer, Jesus Montana and Erin Gordon
$50 California Pizza Kitchen from CALPRO, Mission Federal Credit Union and AASD – Sally Viavada and Brian Spry
$50 PF Changs from CALPRO, Mission Federal Credit Union and AASD -- Bridgette Brunetto and Melissa Roy-Wood
$50 Restaurant Gift Card (various restaurants) from CALPRO, Mission Federal Credit Union and AASD – Brian Kenworthy and Miriam Luttbeg
Toyota Terrace Padres Tickets from CALPRO, Mission Federal Credit Union and AASD -- Susan Jarrold and Randy White
$100 BevMo from AXA Advisors – Sylvia Glover
$100 Shogun from CALPRO, Mission Federal Credit Union and AASD -- Ken Lewis
- CERTIFICATED WORKLOAD UPDATES .
For previous workload updates click here. AASD is keeping certificated workload at the forefront and will continue to advocate for our members!
CONDOLENCES. AASD now acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
AASD has no information to report at this time.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-REPRESENTED CERTIFICATED JOB POSTINGS
Program Manager, Online Learning. Closes 3/23/18
Program Manager, Integrated Advanced Studies and School Innovation. Closes 3/23
Program Manager, STEM Innovation.Closes 3/23
Program Manager, Teaching and Learning. Closes 3/29/18
Program Manager, Family Engagement. Closes 3/25/18
AASD-REPRESENTED CLASSIFIED JOB POSTINGS
None at this time.
- AASD DISTINGUISHED LEADER AWARDS. Each year, AASD honors a number of members as AASD Distinguished Leaders. Please consider nominating a colleague for AASD Distinguished Leader Award. We have wonderful co-workers throughout our AASD bargaining unit and in our retiree ranks who are worthy of recognition and the AASD Member Relations Committee is hopeful that you will take the time to nominate someone who goes "Above and Beyond!" You can nominate a co-worker from any category. The winners will be recognized at the annual AASD Summerfest on June 15.
The following link will lead you to the nomination form. Complete the form and fax it to AASD (619-295-6274) or scan it and send it as an attachment in an email message to Jim Costello (email@example.com) with the subject line of "Distinguished Leader Form.” Nominations are due by April 24, 2018. Click below for a link to the form and criteria.
- AASD IS AWARDING $500 SCHOLARSHIPS TO CHILDREN OF OUR AASD MEMBERS! Sons/daughters (including step-sons and step-daughters) of AASD members who are graduating seniors are eligible for AASD Fran Swank scholarships for $500 each to be used towards higher education (college). All who apply and are qualified will receive a $500 scholarship. The application submission deadline is April 17, 2018. Please click the link for information on how to apply
- ELEMENTARY PRINCIPALS – COULD YOUR KINDERS BENEFIT FROM AASD'S 50/50 RAFFLE FUNDRAISER? If you have attended some of AASD’s social events over the years, you may have participated in the 50/50 raffle. The proceeds from the 50/50 raffle – which began in 2014 – have been used to supply incoming Kindergarten (and TK) students at a deserving elementary school with a wonderful homework kit full of school supplies.
If you would like your elementary site to be considered for the Homework Kits for the opening of the 2018-19 school year, please complete the application and send it to the AASD office to Jim Costello firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 30, 2018. The Member Relations Committee will review the applications and select the next school to receive the Homework Kits. The lucky school(s) will be announced at this year’s Summerfest event on June 15. Please click this link to access the application.
- NEW AND IMPROVED AASD WEBSITE! Our AASD website is now up and running and re-vamped! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website will be kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (regular members, retirees and affiliate members). If you have any feedback on the new website, please e-mail email@example.com with your comments. We hope our new website will be a great resource for you!
- NOTICE OF CHANGE - SAVE THE DATE FOR THE AASD SUMMERFEST EVENT!
June 15, 2018, 5-10 pm, AASD Summerfest, Marina Village, Seaside Room. (the event was originally scheduled for June 22.)
- SAVE THE DATES FOR AASD EVENTS! The following dates are for AASD-sponsored activities during the 2017-18 school year. Please mark your calendar now and save the date. These events are for all AASD members - Regular, Affiliate and Retired. More information will be forthcoming regarding each event. Our union is only as strong as the membership and your participation!
March 20, 2018, 7:00 am-12:30 pm, Spring P.D. Conference, Scottish Rite Event Center, Mission Valley. Click here to view flyer.
May 10, 2018, 4-7 pm, AASD Spring Membership Meeting, Marina Village, Catalina Room (new location)
June 15, 2018, 5-10 pm, AASD Summerfest, Marina Village, Seaside Room
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce a new partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with just under ten years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members, AASD Members-Police Management Association (PMA), AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
CONTINUED MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). As was reported in June, the District notified AASD that they will no longer pay their share (50%) of the ACSA dues for AASD members. For the past three years, AASD and SDUSD had an agreement whereupon the District paid 50% of the cost of ACSA dues and AASD paid 50% of the cost of ACSA dues. All AASD members were then provided with membership in ACSA, as well as professional development activities, as part of the agreement. The agreement ended 6/30/2017.
There are many benefits of continuing to be an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). ACSA is offering a one-year special for AASD members of membership for one dollar ($1) per day. Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in continuing membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at email@example.com. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" FROM WILD AT WORK. Check out the discount program by Wild at Work – BenefitHub! All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of a variety of terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home. Visit their website at www.wildatwork.com (you will be redirected to the "Benefit Hub" website). Click on “Register” and under “Employees,” enter “AASD” for the company name. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Wild at Work or Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members. Regal tickets are $8.50 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $16.90 each. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $19.90, which saves you $3.00 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.