AASD Weekly Update 05-10-18
- AASD BYLAWS HAVE BEEN REVISED. The AASD Constitution and Bylaws have been revised and were approved by the AASD Board of Directors on April 18, 2018. The revised Bylaws will be posted on the AASD website (www.aasdcs.org). Most of the changes were simple clarifications of existing language. In addition, AASD has changed the term “regular member” to “member in good standing.” Also, certain AASD benefits have now been limited to “members in good standing” and are not available to non-members (fee payers). Click here for a copy of the revised Bylaws.
- IMPORTANT SURVEY – 2019-2020 AND 2020-2021 INSTRUCTIONAL CALENDARS. The Calendar Committee is meeting to design the 2019-20 and 2020-21 instructional calendars. Your AASD representatives on the committee are Donis Coronel, AASD Executive Director; Juan Romo, Principal, Emerson Bandini; Jeff Thomas, School Site Operations Specialist, Office of Secondary Schools; and Reashon Villery, Prinicipal, Oak Park. The committee is given clear parameters from the Board of Education in designing the calendar and there is little flexibility other than deciding if school will start the week before Labor Day or the Tuesday after Labor Day. Please review the draft calendars and then vote by clicking the link below as to whether you prefer a pre-Labor Day start or a post-Labor Day start. AASD’s vote on the committee will reflect the vote of our members.
Please vote by midnight on May 24. The survey will take 30 seconds or less. Make your voice heard so AASD can accurately represent our membership at the Calendar Committee.
Click for calendars
Link to vote: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/S5V3WDF
- AASD SCHOLARSHIPS AWARDED TO OUR MEMBERS’ CHILDREN! Congratulations to the following graduating seniors who are recipients of $500 AASD scholarships! AASD scholarships are currently funded from retiree membership dues and by AASD.
MAX ALTSTADT, son of AASD member in good standing GARY ALTSTADT (Business Intelligence Coordinator/IT Support). Max is graduating from Coronado High School and plans to attend San Jose State University.
FRANCISCO ELIZONDO, son of member in good standing STEVE ELIZONDO (Principal Golden Hill K-8). Francisco is graduating from High Tech High and plans to attend UC Santa Cruz.
ADELE FAVRO, daughter of member in good standing FRANK FAVRO (Planned Projects Supervisor/Maintenance). Adele is graduating from Steele Canyon High School and plans to attend Grand Canyon University.
CHANDLER MAKINGS, son of member in good standing TRACEY MAKINGS (Vice Principal Twain High). Chandler is graduating from High Tech High and plans to attend college (TBD).
CHLOE MENG, daughter of member in good standing KIMBERLY MENG (Principal Pacific Beach Middle).
Chloe is graduating from Mission Bay High and plans to attend San Diego State University.
TIFFANY MEREDITH, daughter of member in good standing PATRICIA MEREDITH (Vice Principal Clark Middle). Tiffany is graduating from Ramona High School and plans to attend UCLA.
ANTON MONTEMAYOR, son of member in good standing PIA REYES MONTEMAYOR (Supervising Administrative Assistant II Extended Learning). Anton is graduating from Helix Charter High School and plans to attend UC San Diego.
ABBY THOMASON, daughter of member in good standing SCOTT THOMASON (Principal CPMA). Abby is graduating from Grossmont High and plans to attend Sonoma State University.
AASD FILES GRIEVANCE OVER ONGOING TEMPORARY OUT-OF-CLASS ASSIGNMENT.
With the approval on May 24 of the AASD classified contract, new language is in place that addresses ongoing temporary out-of-class (TOC) assignments in cases where there is a vacancy. The language states:
AASD Classified Supervisor Collective Bargaining Agreement, Article 7: Promotion, Transfer and Administrative Reassignment
Section 3: INTERIM OR TEMPORARY OUT-OF-CLASS ASSIGNMENTS FOR VACANT POSITIONS
AASD and the District agree that interim or temporary out-of-class assignments for vacant AASD positions are not intended to be long-term assignments or to circumvent the hiring process. In cases where an interim or temporary out-of-class assignment is made to a vacant AASD position, AASD will be notified in writing of the date of the interim or temporary out-of-class assignment and the plan for recruitment. Recruitment shall follow the processes detailed in Section 1 and 2 of this Article.
Please click here to view the grievance
Based on this new language, AASD filed a grievance over the vacant, budgeted School Police Captain position that has been vacant for a year and filled with TOC Sergeants. That TOC then creates a situation where a number of TOC’s are in place for back-fills. Due to the TOC’s, at the end of the line, there is an unstaffed position which leaves the department down one sworn officer. AASD will keep the membership posted on the progress of this grievance.
SURF’S UP! MAKE YOUR RESERVATION FOR SUMMERFEST! Make your reservations now for the annual AASD Summerfest on June 15 at Marina Village. Come and celebrate another school year with your colleagues and help honor our AASD Distinguished Leaders and AASD members who retired this year or are retiring. Make your reservation now! Click here for the flyer with all of the information
WORK CALENDAR FOR 2018-19. All AASD members are reminded that the furlough days are still in place for 2018-19. There are standard district work calendars posted online; however, all AASD members have the ability to create a flexible individual calendar placing the furlough days where they wish to take them (just like 2017-18). All flexible, individual calendars must be signed by the member and by their supervisor and forwarded to the timekeeper and Payroll. Calendars may be revised, as necessary, throughout the 2018-2019 year.
- AN IMPORTANT NOTE FOR ALL AASD MEMBERS. While many of our AASD members work quite independently, it is important that members make a notification to their supervisor when they are absent for the day or a partial day. Each supervisor has their own system for how they wish to receive this information (e-mail, text, through their assistant, etc.). Be sure to know the system your particular supervisor prefers. Use common sense – if you are a principal and going to the Ed Center for a meeting for two hours, you likely do not need to make that notification. However, if you are absent for the full day, your supervisor and your staff should be notified in a timely manner of your absence. Or if you are leaving mid-day for a medical appointment, you must also make a timely notification. By making timely notifications, there is no perception on the part of your supervisor or other staff about your whereabouts.
- CERTIFICATED WORKLOAD UPDATES.
The next meeting is scheduled for June 25. For previous workload updates click here. AASD is keeping certificated workload at the forefront and will continue to advocate for our members!
CONDOLENCES. AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-REPRESENTED CERTIFICATED JOB POSTINGS
Principal, Porter Elementary.
Principal, Dingeman Elementary
Principal, Mason Elementary
Principal, Muirlands Middle (Re-post)
Vice Principal, Crawford High
Vice Principal, iHigh Virtual Academy
Vice Principal Kearney High
All close Today 5/10/18
Program Specialist, Special Education (Due Process and Mediation) Closes 7/31/18
AASD-REPRESENTED CLASSIFIED JOB POSTINGS
None at this time.
AASD 2017-18 DISTINGUISHED LEADERS ANNOUNCED. Congratulations to the following AASD Members who were nominated by colleagues and selected as AASD 2017-18 Distinguished Leaders. All will be recognized at the June 15 AASD Summerfest celebration! Come and help celebrate with us!
KRISTA CONN, HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES SUPERVISOR -- AASD Distinguished Leader, Classified Supervisors
PAT CROWDER, RETIRED PRINCIPAL -- AASD Distinguished Leader, Retiree Network
SUZIE FORE, VICE PRINCIPAL, DEPORTOLA MIDDLE -- AASD Distinguished Leader, Vice Principals
SOPHIA GLOVER, FOOD SERVICES SUPERVISOR -- AASD Distinguished Leader, Food Services
IRENE HIGHTOWER, PRINCIPAL, CABRILLO ELEMENTARY -- AASD Distinguished Leader, Elementary Principals
CRISTINE HOLMER, FOOD SERVICES AREA SUPERVISOR -- AASD Distinguished Leader, Food Services
HARLAN KLEIN, PRINCIPAL, MUIRLANDS MIDDLE -- AASD Distinguished Leader, Middle School Principals
RICHARD NASH, PRINCIPAL, MADISON HIGH -- AASD Distinguished Leader, High School Principals
CARLOS RAMIREZ, PROGRAM MANAGER, OFFICE OF LANGUAGE ACQUISITION -- AASD Distinguished Leader, Central Office Certificated Managers
LISA SHELDON, OPERATIONS SPECIALIST, OFFICE OF SECONDARY SCHOOLS -- AASD Distinguished Leader, Classified Managers
AASD CELL PHONE/SCREEN CLEANER. All attendees at the AASD/SDUSD Spring Conference received a blue AASD cell phone/screen cleaner. Some of you have asked if it is re-fillable. YES, it is! To refill it:
Step 1: Remove the spray bottle from the holder by gently pulling up on the spray button. NOTE: The blue button is attached to the sprayer - do not pull the blue button/cap off of the sprayer. Once the spray bottle is out of the holder, you can unscrew the sprayer from the bottle.
Step 2: Fill the spray bottle halfway with distilled or bottled water. (Tap water will leave streaks.)
Step 3: Fill the other half of the bottle with 70% isopropyl alcohol.
Step 4: Screw the sprayer back onto the bottle and shake the bottle to mix the solution.
This way, you can use your AASD cell phone/screen cleaner canister over and over!
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (regular members, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail email@example.com with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- SAVE THE DATES FOR AASD EVENTS! The following dates are for AASD-sponsored activities during the 2017-18 school year. Please mark your calendar now. These events are for all AASD members - Regular, Affiliate and Retired. More information will be forthcoming regarding each event. Our union is only as strong as the membership and your participation!
June 15, 2018, 5-10 pm, AASD Summerfest, Marina Village, Seaside Room. FLYER
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members, AASD Members-Police Management Association (PMA), AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
CONTINUED MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). As was reported in June 2017, the District notified AASD that they will no longer pay their share (50%) of the ACSA dues for AASD members. For the past three years, AASD and SDUSD had an agreement whereupon the District paid 50% of the cost of ACSA dues and AASD paid 50% of the cost of ACSA dues. All AASD members were then provided with membership in ACSA, as well as professional development activities, as part of the agreement. The agreement ended 6/30/2017.
There are many benefits of continuing to be an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). ACSA is offering a one-year special for AASD members of membership for one dollar ($1) per day. Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in continuing membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at email@example.com. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" - PLEASE NOTE THIS WEBSITE HAS CHANGED! Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com . Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members. Regal tickets are $8.50 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $16.90 each. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $19.90, which saves you $3.00 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.