AASD Weekly Update 05-24-18
- IMPORTANT SURVEY – 2019-2020 AND 2020-2021 INSTRUCTIONAL CALENDARS, VOTE TONIGHT!. The Calendar Committee is meeting to design the 2019-20 and 2020-21 instructional calendars. Your AASD representatives on the committee are Donis Coronel, AASD Executive Director; Juan Romo, Principal, Emerson Bandini; Jeff Thomas, School Site Operations Specialist, Office of Secondary Schools; and Reashon Villery, Prinicipal, Oak Park. The committee is given clear parameters from the Board of Education in designing the calendar and there is little flexibility other than deciding if school will start the week before Labor Day or the Tuesday after Labor Day. Please review the draft calendars and then vote by clicking the link below as to whether you prefer a pre-Labor Day start or a post-Labor Day start. AASD’s vote on the committee will reflect the vote of our members.
Please vote by 11:59PM. The survey will take 30 seconds or less. Make your voice heard so AASD can accurately represent our membership at the Calendar Committee.
Click for calendars
Link to vote: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/S5V3WDF.
- FOLLOW UP WORKLOAD SURVEY FOR CERTIFICATED AASD MEMBERS. PLEASE TAKE SURVEY. As you know, AASD negotiated with the district last year to form a Certificated Workload Work Group. AASD did a survey last October of our certificated members to obtain data regarding workload. Over 65% of the AASD membership participated in the survey. That survey was presented to the Board of Education, Superintendent, and Executive Leadership and was disseminated to the public by media sources. AASD got quite a bit of traction from the survey. The work group has met several times this year to address the matter of workload.
The workload work group meets again in late June. We want to have current data to present regarding workload (as compared to October 2017).
Please take the time to provide data so that we can accurately represent you! The deadline for taking the survey is June 11, 2018 at 11:59pm. We know and understand this is a busy time of year but your input is needed! The survey was sent to you this week by e-mail via the following source:
Elementary Principals – Via TEP (Liz Sloan)
Middle Level and K-8 Principals – Via the Mid-Level Informal chairs (Michelle Irwin/Harlan Klein)
Senior High Principals – Via the Senior High Academic Council chair (Jennifer Roberson)
Central Office – Via the Central Office Representative on the Workload Committee (Carrie Rea)
Vice Principals – Via AASD Representatives (Suzie Fore/Jenney Nash)
If you did not receive the link to the survey, please contact the AASD office via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office at 619-295-2118 and a link will be sent to you.
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THE SURVEY DATA WILL BE MADE PUBLIC. PLEASE DO NOT ANSWER IN A WAY WHICH IDENTIFIES YOUR SCHOOL OR YOU PERSONALLY. THIS IS AN ANONYMOUS SURVEY.
Your representatives on the Workload Workgroup are: Ryan Brock (mid-level), Donis Coronel (AASD), Peggy Crane (elementary), Listy Gillingham (senior high), Kathy Lorden (K-8), Eileen Moreno (elementary), Carrie Rea (central office), Diana Sanchez (K-8), and Lori Sandoval (elementary). We would like to thank Tamara Lewis for her service to the committee this year representing elementary. Tamara is leaving SDUSD at the end of the school year.
- SURF’S UP! MAKE YOUR RESERVATION NOW FOR SUMMERFEST DEADLINE IS JUNE 7! Make your reservations now for the annual AASD Summerfest on June 15 at Marina Village. Come and celebrate another school year with your colleagues and help honor our AASD Distinguished Leaders and AASD members who retired or are retiring this year. Make your reservation now! Click here for the flyer with all of the information. Free for all AASD Members in good standing, Affiliate members and Retired Members.
CONDOLENCES. AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-REPRESENTED CERTIFICATED JOB POSTINGS
Program Specialist, Special Education (Due Process and Mediation) Open until filled.
AASD-REPRESENTED CLASSIFIED JOB POSTINGS
None at this time.
AASD PARTNERS WITH SCHOOL POLICE FOR THE "TRUE BLUE BUDDY" TEDDY BEAR PROGRAM. AASD has partnered with our San Diego Unified Police Department to fund the new “True Blue Buddy” program. Teddy Bears will be provided to officers who come into contact with elementary grade students in traumatic or scary situations wherein they may need a furry friend for comfort. The bears are wearing a shirt with a police officer shield on the front. The back says “Donated by AASD.” Click the links below for pictures of the teddy bears. This is another example of how AASD supports our students!
Bear front picture , Bear back picture.
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (regular members, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail email@example.com with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
AASD CELL PHONE/SCREEN CLEANER. All attendees at the AASD/SDUSD Spring Conference received a blue AASD cell phone/screen cleaner. Some of you have asked if it is re-fillable. YES, it is! To refill it:
Step 1: Remove the spray bottle from the holder by gently pulling up on the spray button. NOTE: The blue button is attached to the sprayer - do not pull the blue button/cap off of the sprayer. Once the spray bottle is out of the holder, you can unscrew the sprayer from the bottle.
Step 2: Fill the spray bottle halfway with distilled or bottled water. (Tap water will leave streaks.)
Step 3: Fill the other half of the bottle with 70% isopropyl alcohol.
Step 4: Screw the sprayer back onto the bottle and shake the bottle to mix the solution.
This way, you can use your AASD cell phone/screen cleaner canister over and over!
- SAVE THE DATES FOR AASD EVENTS! The following dates are for AASD-sponsored activities during the 2017-18 school year. Please mark your calendar now. These events are for all AASD members - Regular, Affiliate and Retired. More information will be forthcoming regarding each event. Our union is only as strong as the membership and your participation!
June 15, 2018, 5-10 pm, AASD Summerfest, Marina Village, Seaside Room. FLYER
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members, AASD Members-Police Management Association (PMA), AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
CONTINUED MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). As was reported in June 2017, the District notified AASD that they will no longer pay their share (50%) of the ACSA dues for AASD members. For the past three years, AASD and SDUSD had an agreement whereupon the District paid 50% of the cost of ACSA dues and AASD paid 50% of the cost of ACSA dues. All AASD members were then provided with membership in ACSA, as well as professional development activities, as part of the agreement. The agreement ended 6/30/2017.
There are many benefits of continuing to be an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). ACSA is offering a one-year special for AASD members of membership for one dollar ($1) per day. Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in continuing membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at email@example.com. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" - PLEASE NOTE THIS WEBSITE HAS CHANGED! Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com . Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members. Regal tickets are $8.50 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $16.90 each. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $19.90, which saves you $3.00 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.