AASD Weekly Update 06-21-18
- SUMMERFEST WRAP UP! Almost 200 AASD members and guests attended the June 15 Summerfest! AASD Distinguished Leaders and Retirees were honored at the event. Thank you to our premiere sponsor, CALPRO, for their support of our AASD Distinguished Leader awards. A good time was had by all!
The 50/50 raffle to benefit homework kits for TK and Kinders at selected schools was a huge success! $753 was raised for the Homework Kits and $753 went to the winner, Mr. Ball (Richard Nash’s father). This year, Homework Kits will be provided to over 250 students at Cabrillo, Baker, Rolando Park and Wegeforth elementary schools. This is possible due to the generous donations at Summerfest and the annual Winter party. Thank you!
Door Prizes were plentiful and won by:
Cindy Ueckert (See’s Candy)
Mariette Pascasio (See’s Candy)
Amy Perez (Buffalo Wild Wings $25 and Sauces)
Melissa Roy Wood (Regal Movie Basket)
Marshall Klein (AMC Movie Basket)
Peter Johnson (Starbucks $25 and Tumblers)
Patti Burch ($25 Panera and Mug)
Bill Fore (Beer Basket and Coinhole Game)
Irene Cheney (Tub of Beer and Snacks)
Francesco Licari ($50 Home Depot)
Maria Lizarraga ($50 SD Restaurants)
Nadine Debrodie ($50 Lazy Dog)
Lawrence Hightower (Wine Basket)
Gloria Mastro (Beach Blanket and $50 Barnes and Noble)
Peggy Zickert (Penzeys Spice Set)
Lloyd Klein ($100 Coronado Restaurants)
Carlos Ramirez ($100 Shogun Restaurant)
Jeff Buras (SD Basket with SD Swag, $100 SD Restaurants, $50 Rubios)
Maria Isabel Sandoval ($300 Southwest Airlines)
Thomas Stoklosa ($500 Cohn Family Restaurants)
- CERTIFICATED AASD WORKLOAD SURVEY. Thank you to the 66% of our AASD certificated members who took the time to complete the recent workload survey. The results have been shared today with the Superintendent, Board of Education and other key leaders in the District. The Certificated Workload Work Group meets on June 25. The following message was sent to the Superintendent with the survey results. “AASD looks forward to meeting with the District representatives to work towards resolution of the workload issue for our certificated members. We know we have been “heard,” but now we need to see results and a desire on the part of the District leadership to truly address this issue.”
Here are the survey results.
Elem. Principals , K-8 Principals, Middle Level Principals, Senior High Principals, Vice Principals , Central Office Certificated
Stay tuned for more information to come!
- NEW PERK FOR ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTATORS (ACSA) MEMBERS. Are you a member of ACSA? If so, the following new service is available to you starting July 1. Not a member? If you are interested in becoming an ACSA member, see the section in our Weekly Update under reminders regarding ACSA membership.
On July 1, ACSA will launch a new online Career Center with expanded online job listings.
From indispensable member benefits to outstanding professional learning, ACSA is here to help you excel in your career. ACSA’s new Career Center will offer our members an easy-to-use and highly targeted resource for employment connections.
Features of the new Career Center will include:
- Free and confidential resume posting – Make your resume available to employers in California school districts and beyond.
- Job search control – Quickly and easily find relevant job listings and sign up for automatic email notification of new jobs that match your criteria.
- Easy job applications and saved jobs – Save up to 100 jobs to a folder in your account so you come back to apply when you’re ready.
Find out more by visiting the new Career Center on July 1, or contact us at email@example.com with any questions.
CONDOLENCES. AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-REPRESENTED CERTIFICATED JOB POSTINGS
Program Specialist, Special Education (Due Process and Mediation) Open until filled.
Vice Principal, Lincoln High - closes 6/14/18
AASD-REPRESENTED CLASSIFIED JOB POSTINGS
Operations Auditor - closes 7/15/18
- AASD COMMITTEES – WE WANT YOU! Are you interested in getting more involved at AASD and serving on a committee? AASD has the following opportunities to serve and support! If you are interested in joining any of these committees, please e-mail the AASD Executive Director, Donis Coronel, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AASD PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
(Typically meets each month, the 1st Wednesday of the month, 3:00-4:30 p.m. at the AASD office)
Co-Chairs: Eileen Moreno (Principal, Edison Elementary) and Mario Garcia, (Supervisor, Special Education Translation Unit)
This committee plans the annual AASD/SDUSD Spring Conference. In addition, the committee approves all requests for professional growth reimbursement ($100). The committee may also elect to plan other professional development activities throughout the year.
AASD MEMBER RELATIONS COMMITTEE
(Typically meets each month, the 1st Tuesday of the month, 3:30-5:00 p.m. at the AASD office)
Co-Chairs: Irene Hightower (Principal, Cabrillo Elementary) and Maria Moore-Flagg, (Retired)
This committee has responsibility for the AASD Distinguished Leader Recognition Program, the Homework Kit Fundraiser, logistics for the two annual membership meetings and for all aspects of the annual Summerfest and Winter Holiday events, as well as other social/networking/collegial events and programs.
AASD FINANCE COMMITTEE
(Meets in December, February, May and August each school year at the AASD office)
Chair: Peggy Zickert (Program Manager, Program Monitoring)
This committee has responsibility for reviewing the finances of the AASD organization. The committee also prepares the annual budget which is then sent to the Board of Directors for approval. Also, this committee reviews and manages the AASD investment account and makes recommendations regarding these funds.
AASD SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE
(Typically meets the 4th Monday of each month, 3:00-5:00 p.m. at the AASD office)
Co-Chairs: Nancy Picone (Manager, Accounts Payable) and Stacey Simpson (Vice Principal, Madison High)
This committee plans fundraisers to benefit the AASD Scholarship Fund. The committee is also responsible for the scholarship program, approving scholarships and presenting scholarships.
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (regular members, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail email@example.com with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- FREE SAN DIEGO COUNTY FAIR TICKETS. Mission Federal Credit Union (MFCU) is giving away FREE tickets to the SD County Fair! At any of their 30 MFCU locations, any district employee can claim four (4) free tickets to the SD County Fair! What a fun way to kick off the summer and take part in one of San Diego’s summer traditions….the San Diego County Fair! While MFCU would love for every employee to experience first-hand the value and savings of being a MFCU member, this is not required for the four free fair tickets (a $76 value)! Also, although the ticket says the ticket holder must show proof of employment at the fair gates, ticket holders will not be asked to do this. Stop by MFCU and pick up your free tickets! The tickets are valid on June 22 or 29.
AASD CELL PHONE/SCREEN CLEANER. All attendees at the AASD/SDUSD Spring Conference received a blue AASD cell phone/screen cleaner. Some of you have asked if it is re-fillable. YES, it is! To refill it:
Step 1: Remove the spray bottle from the holder by gently pulling up on the spray button. NOTE: The blue button is attached to the sprayer - do not pull the blue button/cap off of the sprayer. Once the spray bottle is out of the holder, you can unscrew the sprayer from the bottle.
Step 2: Fill the spray bottle halfway with distilled or bottled water. (Tap water will leave streaks.)
Step 3: Fill the other half of the bottle with 70% isopropyl alcohol.
Step 4: Screw the sprayer back onto the bottle and shake the bottle to mix the solution.
This way, you can use your AASD cell phone/screen cleaner canister over and over!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Members-Police Management Association (PMA) in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINI-STRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at email@example.com. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" - PLEASE NOTE THIS WEBSITE HAS CHANGED! Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com . Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members. Regal tickets are $8.50 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $17.25 each. There was a recent $0.35 price increase. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $20.50, which saves you $3.25 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.