AASD Weekly Update 07-26-18
- NO AASD WEEKLY UPDATE – AUGUST 2 AND AUGUST 9. Due to staff absence, there will be no AASD Weekly Update on August 2 and August 9. The Weekly Update will resume on Thursday, August 16. During this time, the office will be open and the Executive Director, Donis Coronel, will be available via cell phone at 619-813-8792 and e-mail email@example.com.
It is with great sadness and heartbreak that we report the unexpected passing of AASD member VICTOR PARRA, FOOD SERVICES FACILITIES SUPERVISOR on Saturday, July 21 while on a hike with friends. Victor was hired in 1990 and served SDUSD for 28 years. He was an integral part of the Food Services management team and will be missed by all. Victor leaves behind his wife, Jeny, a son, three daughters and many other relatives/friends, including his sister, Litta Buras, who is a Human Resources Officer in SDUSD. A Go-Fund-Me account has been established to help the family during this difficult time. If you would like to make a donation in Victor’s honor, please visit the Go-Fund-Me account at https://www.gofundme.com/5uqc00o
Services for Victor will be held at St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church, 293 H St., Chula Vista on Monday, July 30. There will be a Rosary at 12:30 p.m. followed by Mass at 1:00 p.m. A reception will follow at the Parish Hall. Carpooling is encouraged as parking is limited.
If you would like to make a donation to help defray the cost of the reception (which will be provided by SDUSD Food Services Catering) please contact Gary Petill, Food Services Director. firstname.lastname@example.org
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
- 2018-19 FURLOUGH DAYS. AASD-represented employees are reminded that furlough days are still in place for the 2018-19 school year (same as the 2017-18 school year). There are standard work calendars posted on the Human Resources web page. However, any AASD-represented employee has the right to create an individual flexible calendar for the 2018-19 year. To create an individual flexible calendar, simply print the standard calendar and mark the work days and furlough days you select on the calendar. The employee and their supervisor sign on the flexible calendar and it is submitted to the site timekeeper and to Payroll.
The furlough days will be returned on July 1, 2019 and the salary schedules adjusted accordingly.
- MARK YOUR CALENDAR NOW – CASINO NIGHT FUNDRAISER! AASD provides scholarships to graduating seniors each year in the amount of $500. The AASD Scholarship Committee is fundraising to improve our scholarship program. Please mark your calendars to join us in our first fundraiser – Casino Night – Vegas Baby! This fun event to benefit our scholarship fund will be held on FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 2018, from 6:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. at Marina Village, Seaside Room. There are two tiers of tickets -- $50 includes admission, wristband for unlimited beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), heavy appetizers, chips to play the tables, many opportunities to win prizes, dancing and more! Or $35 gets you the same, minus the alcoholic beverages. Anyone is welcome – AASD members, colleagues, friends, family, community members, etc. Must be 21 years of age to attend. RSVP will be required and information to purchase tickets will be forthcoming via US mail. Join us and help raise funds for scholarships! It’s going to be great fun for a wonderful cause!
We need your help! Do you know of a business in your community/neighborhood, a friend’s business, your spouse/partner’s business or anyone that would like to sponsor this event? We are looking for many sponsors that want to support scholarships for students! Levels of sponsorship are $1,000, $3,000 or $5,000 with different levels of advertisement/acknowledgement. We are also looking for an underwriter for the event (donation level $10,000). What a great way for a business of any type to advertise to school employees and others! We are also looking for donated door prizes from businesses. If you know of anyone who would be interested in sponsorship or donating a door prize, please contact the AASD Office (Executive Director, Donis Coronel) with the information. We appreciate your help in spreading the word! AASD is a 501(c)(5) non-profit organization, so all donations are tax deductible.
Stay tuned for more information to come!
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-REPRESENTED CERTIFICATED JOB POSTINGS
Vice Principal, Point Loma High, closes 7/26
Vice Principal, Serra High, closes 7/26
Vice Principal, Lincoln High, closes 7/26
Principal, Marvin Elementary, closes 7/26
Principal, Whiltier School closes 7/26
Principal, Burbank Elementary, closes 7/29
Vice Principal, University City High, closes 8/1
Principal, Jerabek Elementary, closes 8/4
AASD-REPRESENTED CLASSIFIED JOB POSTINGS
Zone Manager, Physical Plant Operations, closes 7/29
Human Resource Services Supervisor, closes 7/24
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail email@example.com with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
AASD CELL PHONE/SCREEN CLEANER. All attendees at the AASD/SDUSD Spring Conference received a blue AASD cell phone/screen cleaner. Some of you have asked if it is re-fillable. YES, it is! To refill it:
Step 1: Remove the spray bottle from the holder by gently pulling up on the spray button. NOTE: The blue button is attached to the sprayer - do not pull the blue button/cap off of the sprayer. Once the spray bottle is out of the holder, you can unscrew the sprayer from the bottle.
Step 2: Fill the spray bottle halfway with distilled or bottled water. (Tap water will leave streaks.)
Step 3: Fill the other half of the bottle with 70% isopropyl alcohol.
Step 4: Screw the sprayer back onto the bottle and shake the bottle to mix the solution.
This way, you can use your AASD cell phone/screen cleaner canister over and over!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Police Management Association (PMA) Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at email@example.com. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" - PLEASE NOTE THIS WEBSITE HAS CHANGED! Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. Regal tickets are now $9.00 each. (The ticket price just went up for the first time in many, many years from $8.50 to $9.00/ticket.) These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD by members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $17.25 each. There was a recent $0.35 price increase. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $20.50, which saves you $3.25 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.