AASD Weekly Update 08-30-18
- CLASSIFIED AASD MEMBERS – TRAINING ON EXCELLING AS A MANAGER OR SUPERVISOR. Skillpath -- a reputable company – is offering a one-day workshop in San Diego on either November 5 or December 13 on Excelling as a Manager or Supervisor. This workshop will help any classified supervisor/manager gain and enhance essential “must-have” management skills in areas such as taking the leap from worker to supervisor; leadership; boosting worker productivity and morale; how to manage projects and priorities; communication skills; correcting problem behavior; controlling conflict in the workplace; time management and more. The workshop is $99; however, AASD has a professional growth fund that will reimburse any AASD member up to $100 for attending a professional growth event. If you sign up and attend the workshop, you may then submit for reimbursement, thereby making the training FREE. In order to attend, you will need to request and take an appropriate leave from work – vacation, personal necessity, PPI or a furlough day. Click the following links for information on the class; link 1, link 2 and link 3 . For information on how to submit for reimbursement, click here http://aasdcs.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/aasd-professional-growth-fund.pdf
- IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ. This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to affiliate members or retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the form (link below) and returning it to the AASD office. This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc. Please complete the form referenced below as soon as possible and return it to AASD by scanning and e-mailing it to email@example.com; faxing to 619-295-6274; placing it in school mail addressed to AASD; or sending it via US mail to the address on the form. (Some of you have already filled out the new membership form this summer – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again.) If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD. Click here for Form.
- DEADLINE IS SEPTEMBER 6! SIGN UP NOW NOW – CASINO NIGHT FUNDRAISER! AASD provides scholarships to members' graduating seniors each year in the amount of $500. The AASD Scholarship Committee is fundraising to improve our scholarship program. Please sign up to join us in our first fundraiser – Casino Night – Vegas Baby! This fun event to benefit our scholarship fund will be held on FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 2018, from 6:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. at Marina Village, Seaside Room. There are two tiers of tickets -- $50 includes admission, wristband for unlimited beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), heavy appetizers, chips to play the tables, many opportunities to win prizes, dancing and more! Or $35 gets you the same, minus the alcoholic beverages. Anyone is welcome – AASD members, colleagues, friends, family, community members, etc. Must be 21 years of age to attend. RSVP is required. Join us and help raise funds for scholarships! It’s going to be great fun for a wonderful cause!
Click here for informational letter, and Click here for flyer.
We need your help! Do you know of a business in your community/neighborhood, a friend’s business, your spouse/partner’s business or anyone that would like to sponsor this event? We are looking for many sponsors that want to support scholarships for students! Levels of sponsorship are $1,000, $3,000 or $5,000 with different levels of advertisement/acknowledge-ment. We are also looking for an underwriter for the event (donation level $10,000). What a great way for a business of any type to advertise to school employees and others! We are also looking for donated door prizes from businesses. If you know of anyone who would be interested in sponsorship or donating a door prize, please contact the AASD Office (Executive Director, Donis Coronel) with the information. We appreciate your help in spreading the word! AASD is a 501(c)(5) non-profit organization, so all donations are tax deductible.
- AASD REPRESENTATIVE NEEDED FOR PTA BOARD. AASD would like to thank Marco Drapeau, Principal, Ocean Beach Elementary, for serving as the AASD representative to the PTA Board the past few years. Thank you, Marco! AASD is looking for a replacement representative as Marco is transitioning out of this role. It should be a principal or vice principal at a school that has a PTA. The meetings are monthly, on the 2nd Thursday of the month from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. If you are interested, please contact Donis Coronel at AASD at firstname.lastname@example.org. What a great way to serve AASD and also the PTA.
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-REPRESENTED CERTIFICATED JOB POSTINGS
Vice Principal, Clairemont High Closes 9/10/18
Principal, Jerabek Elementary Closes 9/10/18
Principal, Marvin Elementary Closes 9/10/18
Principal, Madison High Closes 9/10/18
Principal, Whittier School Closes 9/10/18
Principal, Torrey Pines Closes 9/10/18
Vice Principal, Knox Middle Closes 9/10/18
Program Manager, Special Ed Instructional Programs and Support - Closes 9/22/18
Program Manager, Special Ed Related and Specialized Services - Closes 9/22/18
Vice Principal, Elementary and K-8 Support - Closes 9/10/18
AASD-REPRESENTED CLASSIFIED JOB POSTINGS
Project Management Supervisor Closes 9/04
- EMPOWER HOUR – COME AND JOIN US. Empower Hour is a group for female leaders (both classified and certificated) in the San Diego education family. We welcome current leaders, aspiring leaders and retired leaders! The Mission of Empower Hour is “To encourage, support and inspire female educational leaders through various growth opportunities.” Empower Hour is in its fourth year! We started with three activities the first year and now have 21 activities to offer this year!
Click here for a Save the Date flyer of events planned for the 2018-19 year. Mark your calendars now for the events that interest you! More information will be forthcoming via e-mail about each event. See below for information on our mentor-mentee program and our first three events including RSVP information. New this year – please do not RSVP for an event until you know you are actually able to attend. On the flip side, please do RSVP for events you are attending. If you do RSVP - and then need to cancel - please cancel via the Eventbrite system or e-mail email@example.com. We must do better at obtaining accurate counts for our events for planning for food, etc. Thank you for understanding!
Empower Hour Mentor-Mentee Program
We are offering our Mentor-Mentee program again this year. We will need both mentors and mentees! Criteria is listed on the form (link to form below) and the commitment is for the 2018-19 school year. Mentees may be current or aspiring classified or certificated managers/principals/ assistant principals/supervisors. Mentors may be current or retired managers/principals/assistant principals/supervisors. If you are interested in being a mentor or would like to request a mentor, please sign up by August 31. Pairings will be made the first week of September. This is an excellent opportunity, and those who participated last year really enjoyed the experience!
We ask that if you sign up to be a mentor or to request a mentor, you be committed for the 2018-19 year and make true efforts to connect. We will also be having a celebration event for our mentors and mentees on April 10, 2019, from 5:30-8:30 p.m. and we ask that you be available to attend the celebration.
Link to sign up to be a mentor or to request a mentor:
The next two 2018-19 Empower Hour events are:
September 12, 2018, 5:00-7:00 p.m. (at Goodies Bar and Grill, National City)
Empower Hour Happy Hour
Come and join us for an evening of camaraderie, networking and empowerment. Appetizers, door prizes and more will be provided! Wear your Empower Hour T-Shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy one at the event ($20) and get that extra ticket. RSVP required. Please only sign up if you are able to attend. If you sign up and plans change, please cancel your reservation via Eventbrite.
Sponsored by CALPRO Network, ACSA Region 18 and the Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD).
September 23, 2018, Registration at 8:30 a.m., Event Begins at 10:00 a.m.
Empower Hour Team 5K Walk to End Alzheimer’s – Crown Point/Mission Bay (3700 Crown Point Dr.)
Join the Empower Hour Team for this 5K walk! Held annually in more than 600 communities nationwide, the Alzheimer's Association Walk to End Alzheimer’s® is the world’s largest event to raise awareness and funds for Alzheimer’s care, support and research. This inspiring event calls on participants of all ages and abilities to join the fight against the disease! There is no cost to join the Empower Hour Team – donations are voluntary. Come and enjoy time with Empower Hour colleagues, have a healthy walk, and support a great cause! Family members and friends are welcome.
To sign up for the Empower Hour Team:
Your Empower Hour Planning Team hopes that you will continue to support our activities for the 2018-19 school year. Please invite and encourage other female leaders in the San Diego education family to attend. We operate on donations and sponsorships only. If you know of a vendor partner that may wish to sponsor an event, please have them contact Donis Coronel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your Empower Hour Planning Team members are Becky Bravo, Jennifer Carbuccia, Donis Coronel (team coordinator), Clorinda Espinoza, Suzie Fore, Elizabeth Kramer, Carla Love and Randy White.
Like Us on Facebook -- SD EMPOWER HOUR
- UNION REPRESENTATION IN INVESTIGATORY MATTERS/MEETINGS. All AASD members are advised that they should invoke their right to have a union representative at ANY investigatory meeting with the Quality Assurance Office or with Human Resources. If in doubt as to whether or not a representative is necessary, contact the AASD office – Donis Coronel, Executive Director, at email@example.com or 619-295-2118. AASD is here to provide assistance and support during investigations, even if the union member is not the subject of the investigation. Even the most benign matter can sometimes turn serious. Better safe than sorry!
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
AASD CELL PHONE/SCREEN CLEANER. All attendees at the AASD/SDUSD Spring Conference received a blue AASD cell phone/screen cleaner. Some of you have asked if it is re-fillable. YES, it is! To refill it:
Step 1: Remove the spray bottle from the holder by gently pulling up on the spray button. NOTE: The blue button is attached to the sprayer - do not pull the blue button/cap off of the sprayer. Once the spray bottle is out of the holder, you can unscrew the sprayer from the bottle.
Step 2: Fill the spray bottle halfway with distilled or bottled water. (Tap water will leave streaks.)
Step 3: Fill the other half of the bottle with 70% isopropyl alcohol.
Step 4: Screw the sprayer back onto the bottle and shake the bottle to mix the solution.
This way, you can use your AASD cell phone/screen cleaner canister over and over!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Police Management Association (PMA) Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail email@example.com or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" - PLEASE NOTE THIS WEBSITE HAS CHANGED! Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. Regal tickets are now $9.00 each. (The ticket price just went up for the first time in many years from $8.50 to $9.00/ticket.) These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD by members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $17.25 each. There was a recent $0.35 price increase. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $20.50, which saves you $3.25 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. You can also give them the AASD office phone number (619-295-2118) for the discount. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.