AASD Weekly Update 09-13-18
- CASINO NIGHT TOMORROW, SEPTEMBER 14. For those attending Casino Night, the event begins at 6:30 p.m. at Marina Village, Seaside Room. Dress is casual! Thank you for supporting the AASD Scholarship Program!
- IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ. This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to affiliate members or retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the form (link below) and returning it to the AASD office. This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Please complete the form referenced below as soon as possible and return it to AASD by scanning and e-mailing it to email@example.com; faxing to 619-295-6274; placing it in school mail addressed to AASD; or sending it via US mail to the address on the form. (Some of you have already filled out the new membership form this summer – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again.) If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD. Click here for Form.
- EMPOWER HOUR – The next Empower Hour event is:
September 25, 2018, 5:00-7:30 PM (at the AASD office, Mission Valley)
Empower Hour Workshop - Using Social Media to Tell Your Story
Amy Illingsworth Ed.D, Director of Professional Growth, Sweetwater Union High School District, will present "Using Social Media to Tell Your Story." As women leaders we can celebrate one another in many ways! When you use social media to share your leadership journey and your school or district’s story, you are creating a path for others to emulate. By taking control of the story telling, you change the narrative – instead of negative press or one-sided stories, the narrative you create can showcase all of the great work going on across your professional landscape. Come learn more and tweet with us throughout this interactive session!
Light dinner, beverages and door prizes provided. Wear your Empower Hour T-Shirt and get an extra raffle ticket. Or buy a T-Shirt at the event for $20 and get an extra ticket.
This event is sponsored by CALPRO, California Casualty, ACSA Region 18 and the Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD).
RSVP required and seating is limited. Please only sign up if you are able to attend. If you sign up and your plans change, please cancel your reservation via Eventbrite.
RSVP at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/empower-hour-workshop-using-social-media-to-tell-your-story-tickets-49499289708
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-REPRESENTED CERTIFICATED JOB POSTINGS
Program Manager, Special Education Instructional Programs and Support - Closes 9/22/18
Program Manager, Special Education Related and Specialized Services - Closes 9/22/18
Program Manager, Special Education Area Support - Closes 9/14/18
Program Manager, Restorative Justice Practices - Closes 10/06/18
AASD-REPRESENTED CLASSIFIED JOB POSTINGS
- REMINDER – SUPERVISORS/MANAGERS/ADMINISTRATORS ARE PROHIBITED FROM SUPERVISING RELATIVES. Please be reminded of District Administrative Procedure 7184 which prohibits an employee from working in a capacity where they would be supervising another relative. Pursuant to this procedure, a relative is defined as spouse, domestic partner, mother, father, son, daughter, brother, sister, half-brother, half-sister, grandparent, grandchild, stepfather, stepmother, stepson, stepdaughter, stepbrother, stepsister, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, uncle, aunt, nephew, niece and first cousin. A supervisor is defined as a person responsible for assigning work to and overseeing and evaluating performance of an employee. This not only applies to the direct supervisor, but to those who are in the supervisory chain of command. If you have any questions regarding this procedure, please contact AASD for guidance.
- CLASSIFIED AASD MEMBERS – TRAINING ON EXCELLING AS A MANAGER OR SUPERVISOR. Skillpath -- a reputable company – is offering a one-day workshop in San Diego on either November 5 or December 13 on Excelling as a Manager or Supervisor. This workshop will help any classified supervisor/manager gain and enhance essential “must-have” management skills in areas such as taking the leap from worker to supervisor; leadership; boosting worker productivity and morale; how to manage projects and priorities; communication skills; correcting problem behavior; controlling conflict in the workplace; time management and more. The workshop is $99; however, AASD has a professional growth fund that will reimburse any AASD member up to $100 for attending a professional growth event. If you sign up and attend the workshop, you may then submit for reimbursement, thereby making the training FREE. In order to attend, you will need to request and take an appropriate leave from work – vacation, personal necessity, PPI or a furlough day. Click the following links for information on the class; link 1, link 2 and link 3 . For information on how to submit for reimbursement, click here http://aasdcs.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/aasd-professional-growth-fund.pdf
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
AASD CELL PHONE/SCREEN CLEANER. All attendees at the AASD/SDUSD Spring Conference received a blue AASD cell phone/screen cleaner. Some of you have asked if it is re-fillable. YES, it is! To refill it:
Step 1: Remove the spray bottle from the holder by gently pulling up on the spray button. NOTE: The blue button is attached to the sprayer - do not pull the blue button/cap off of the sprayer. Once the spray bottle is out of the holder, you can unscrew the sprayer from the bottle.
Step 2: Fill the spray bottle halfway with distilled or bottled water. (Tap water will leave streaks.)
Step 3: Fill the other half of the bottle with 70% isopropyl alcohol.
Step 4: Screw the sprayer back onto the bottle and shake the bottle to mix the solution.
This way, you can use your AASD cell phone/screen cleaner canister over and over!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Police Management Association (PMA) Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail email@example.com or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" - PLEASE NOTE THIS WEBSITE HAS CHANGED! Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. Regal tickets are now $9.00 each. (The ticket price just went up for the first time in many years from $8.50 to $9.00/ticket.) These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD by members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $17.25 each. There was a recent $0.35 price increase. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $20.50, which saves you $3.25 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. You can also give them the AASD office phone number (619-295-2118) for the discount. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.