AASD Weekly Update 09-27-18
- IMPLEMENTATION OF NEW MATERNITY LEAVE LANGUAGE FOR CLASSIFIED AND CERTIFICATED AASD MEMBERS. Background -- In the Spring of 2018, the District and AASD agreed to provide a new type of leave for mothers who have given birth. Effective July 1, 2017, employees who give birth will be granted three consecutive workweeks of maternity leave immediately upon the birth of her child. Prior to this leave entitlement, birth mothers were required to use their sick leave in order to receive pay while on a leave following the birth of a child. In the state of California, unused sick days may be converted to service credit (see STRS and PERS websites). This meant women who have given birth were negatively affected as they have less unused sick days available to apply upon their retirement. For this reason, maternity leave can only be accessed by mothers who give birth. Maternity Leave -- Maternity leave is a new leave entitlement for birth mothers employed by the San Diego Unified School District. This leave entitlement is separate from other contractual and statutory leaves available to new mothers. Employees who have been employed for at least 12 months shall be granted three (3) consecutive workweeks of leave with pay immediately following the birth of her child. If an AASD member gave birth between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018, please contact your Payroll Specialist for next steps. If an AASD member gave birth July 1, 2018 and after, please complete a Maternity Leave form at the member’s site or department and provide it to the site timekeeper. Human Resources has attached frequently asked questions to this notification; additional information and forms are located on the website: https://www.sandiegounified.org/forms-0
Click here for attachment.
- UPDATE- 2019-2020 WORK YEAR CALENDARS. Note- there was an error on the Traditional Elementary/Middle Principal and Vice Principal Traditional Calendars. New Calendars have been posted. AASD and the District have set the work year calendars for 2019-20. Please see below for the various calendars. (Note: The calendar for Classified Food Services AASD will be forthcoming). Thank you to the AASD Calendar Committee representatives Juan Romo, Reashon Villery, Jeff Thomas and Donis Coronel for their input and to District Representatives Krista Conn, Jim Solo and Cheryl Hibbeln for their collaboration. Please note that the furlough days are returned on July 1, 2019 so furlough days are not reflected on the calendars. Please be aware that the District has submitted a request to bargain reopeners – including the Hours of Employment article, which would contain any new furlough day language. Stay tuned!
Click here to view the calendars.
- EMPOWER HOUR – The next Empower Hour event is listed below. Please share this information with any other colleagues who may be interested!
The Mission of Empower Hour is "To encourage, support and inspire female educational leaders through various growth opportunities." Empower Hour is for current, aspiring and retired female administrators, managers and supervisors -- classified and certificated. Attached (click here) for a list of our events for 2018-19,
October 11, 2018, 5:00-7:00 p.m. (at the AASD office, Mission Valley)
Empower Hour Workshop – Stress Management 101
STRESS! We all have it -- now let's learn how to manage it! Join Empower Hour for an evening of networking and education regarding Stress Management. Learn great techniques to implement to make your work and personal life less stressful. Our professional presenter will offer tips that are life changing!
Light dinner, beverages and door prizes provided. Wear your Empower Hour T-Shirt and get an extra raffle ticket. Or buy a T-Shirt at the event for $20 and get an extra ticket.
This event is sponsored by CALPRO, California Casualty, ACSA Region 18, VEBA and the Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD).
RSVP required and seating is limited. Please only sign up if you are able to attend. If you sign up and plans change, please cancel your reservation via Eventbrite.
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-REPRESENTED CERTIFICATED JOB POSTINGS
Program Manager, Special Education Instructional Programs and Support - Closes 10/15/18
Program Manager, Restorative Justice Practices - Closes 10/06/18
Principal, Torrey Pines Elementary (re-post) Closes 9/27/18
Principal, Madison High (re-post) Closes 9/27/18
Principal, Whittier (re-post) Closes 9/30/18
AASD-REPRESENTED CLASSIFIED JOB POSTINGS
- IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ. This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to affiliate members or retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the form (link below) and returning it to the AASD office. This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Please complete the form referenced below as soon as possible and return it to AASD by scanning and e-mailing it to email@example.com; faxing to 619-295-6274; placing it in school mail addressed to AASD; or sending it via US mail to the address on the form. (Some of you have already filled out the new membership form this summer – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again.) If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD. Click here for Form.
- CLARIFICATION FROM THE DISTRICT REGARDING THE ANNUAL EMPLOYEE NOTIFICATIONS TRAINING. At a meeting last week with the District (Superintendent, Chief of Staff, Chief Human Resources Officer and Executive Director, Labor Relations), AASD shared concerns from principals and other managers/supervisors about the Annual Employee Notifications Training. AASD is aware that other bargaining units may have disseminated information to their members that conflicts with the District’s directive to Principals and other managers/supervisors regarding this training. Per the District leadership, Principals and other managers/supervisors are to follow the District’s directive and message below. Additional questions/comments should be directed to Acacia Thede, Chief Human Resources Officer.
From Human Resources: We have had some questions regarding the Annual Employee Notifications training. The Annual Employee Notifications process is a set of notifications that all employees are required to be given on an annual basis; they are delivered in a single slide presentation that is 90 minutes long. Within the 90 minute training, there is a 30 minute Mandated Reporter video and the Superintendent’s 1 minute video reinforcing the prohibition on sexual harassment.
For additional support, this year’s circular includes a presenter script that provides you a slide by slide instruction for delivering the material, including the specific training's to be viewed during the group presentation. Item number 2 in the circular provides a link to the presenter script. This script specifically provides you with the method to conduct the training and ensure that it is only 90 minutes long. The script specifically states that you do not have to view all of the training links. Additionally, there are three options for delivery of the training:
1. Option 1 (preferred). Conduct an in person meeting. You may schedule more than one session if you have a large site/ location or for other logistical reasons.
2. Option 2. Provide the link to employees and have them view the presentation on their own. Employees should be provided time within their work day as well as access to a device that allows them to view the materials (if you ask your staff to use this option and print the certificate, they only need to print the Mandated Reporter certificate and then sign the signature document).
3. Option 3. Print and distribute the Annual Employee Notifications Training Packet
All materials are available at this link: https://www.sandi.net/staff/human-resources/annual-employee-notifications
- SAVE UP TO $33 OFF SELECT NIGHTS FOR UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD, HALLOWEEN HORROR NIGHTS!
Face your darkest fears in Southern California’s scariest, most intense event - Universal Studios™ Halloween Horror Nights™. The movie studio that invented the horror genre brings to life all-new immersive worlds of living, breathing icons from the most twisted imaginations in film and television. Brace yourself for 8 spine-chilling mazes designed to bring you nightmares so real you’ll wish you were already dead. And with the terror tram, a high-energy live show and five scare zones, unimaginable horror is awaiting around every dark corner. Halloween Horror Nights 2018 – Where True Fear Comes From Within.
- CLASSIFIED AASD MEMBERS – TRAINING ON EXCELLING AS A MANAGER OR SUPERVISOR. Skillpath -- a reputable company – is offering a one-day workshop in San Diego on either November 5 or December 13 on Excelling as a Manager or Supervisor. This workshop will help any classified supervisor/manager gain and enhance essential “must-have” management skills in areas such as taking the leap from worker to supervisor; leadership; boosting worker productivity and morale; how to manage projects and priorities; communication skills; correcting problem behavior; controlling conflict in the workplace; time management and more. The workshop is $99; however, AASD has a professional growth fund that will reimburse any AASD member up to $100 for attending a professional growth event. If you sign up and attend the workshop, you may then submit for reimbursement, thereby making the training FREE. In order to attend, you will need to request and take an appropriate leave from work – vacation, personal necessity, PPI or a furlough day. Click the following links for information on the class; link 1, link 2 and link 3 . For information on how to submit for reimbursement, click here http://aasdcs.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/aasd-professional-growth-fund.pdf
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Police Management Association (PMA) Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail email@example.com or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" - PLEASE NOTE THIS WEBSITE HAS CHANGED! Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. Regal tickets are now $9.00 each. hese passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD by members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $17.25 each. There was a recent $0.35 price increase. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $20.50, which saves you $3.25 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. You can also give them the AASD office phone number (619-295-2118) for the discount. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.