AASD Weekly Update 10-25-18
- CONTRACT FACT – KNOW YOUR CONTRACT! NEW PERSONAL NECESSITY LEAVE LANGUAGE. During last year’s bargaining, the language regarding personal necessity leave changed. The prior contract allowed members to take up to two (2) personal business days (using accrued sick leave) for any reason. These days could only be used with approval of the member’s supervisor and had restrictions as to when they could be requested. In addition, members could use up to eight (8) personal necessity days (using accrued sick leave) for specific reasons such as three days for religious holiday, eight days for illness of family member, three days for a compelling family reason, etc.
With the new language, personal business and personal necessity leave have been combined allowing our members to take up to ten (10) days each school year to attend to matters of a personal nature such as the funeral of a close friend; extended bereavement leave; tending to matters involving an accident of the member/immediate family including property damage; for court appearance as a litigant or witness; for family illness; to observe religious holidays; to deal with unpredictable acts of nature; for a parent/domestic partner upon the birth or adoption of a child; to participate in school activities of the members children; and for personal/family responsibility. With the new language, there are no longer restrictions on the number of days that can be taken for certain occurrences. All ten days may be taken for any reason and there are no longer restrictions on how many days can be taken for any occurrence. The days are taken at the unit member’s discretion and require notification (complete the form for the supervisor) not permission/approval. The days come off of the members accrued sick leave balance. “Personal/family reason” covers any situation where the member needs to take this type of leave.
Source: AASD Classified and Certificated Contract, Article 8.
If you encounter any issue with the contract language being followed, please call Donis Coronel at the AASD office for assistance.
- AASD CERTIFICATED WORKLOAD WORK GROUP ANNOUNCEMENT – PLEASE USE THE GOOGLE.DOC TOOL (LINK BELOW) TO COMMUNICATE WORKLOAD ISSUES/CONCERNS/TASKS. The AASD Certificated Workload Work Group will continue to meet with district officials during the 2018-19 school year, every other month. A tool has been created for certificated AASD members (school site and central office) to communicate workload concerns to the committee. This information will be shared with district officials. The communication tool does not require a member’s name to participate. It is important that your workload work group representatives receive timely information – therefore, please use this tool at any time to communicate workload concerns and possible solutions. The information provided via this Google form will be used to guide the work group’s discussions with district officials. Important: Please use a separate Google Form for each issue so we may categorize the concerns. Do not communicate multiple concerns on the same form. Thank you in advance for your help in gathering timely and concise information.
Your AASD Workload Work Group representatives are: Peg Crane (Elementary); Eileen Moreno (Elementary); MC Patton (Elementary); Kathy Lorden (K-8); Dina Sanchez (K-8); Ryan Brock (Middle Level); Listy Gillingham (Sr. High); Kristin Makena (Central Office); Donis Coronel (AASD).
- THANK YOU FOR ATTENDING THE OCTOBER 24 MEMBERSHIP MEETING. Thank you to those members in good standing, affiliate members and retirees who attended the membership meeting. There were opportunities to visit our vendor partners, enjoy good food and drink, and network with colleagues. Following the business update, prizes were given away. Congratulations to:
Various $50 Vendor-Donated Prizes:
Jennifer Marrone, Business Manager Food Services, Cafeteria Dept.
Susan Kent, Vice Principal, Standley Middle
John Aguilar, Principal, Normal Heights Elementary
Patricia Taylor, BSS III, Wilson Middle
Maria Gomez, Principal, Penn Elementary
Juan Romo, Principal, Emerson Bandini
Brad Callahan, Principal, Lewis Middle
Brian Spry, Program Manager Special Ed, Due Process
Anthony Pham, Vice Principal, Clark Middle
Marisol Marian, Principal, Paradise Hills Elementary
Jenny Nash, Vice Principal, Muirlands Middle
Susie Sovereign, Principal, Ibarra Elementary
Lucille Ciudad Real, Vice Principal, Crawford High
Prizes for Playing Vendor Bingo (visiting vendor tables):
Karla Shiminski, Program Mgr., Special Ed; Mission Brewery Beer
Paula Hamar, Supervising Rehab Specialist, Mental Health Resource Ctr; AMC Movie Bucket
Patti Heck, Systems Development Coordinator, IT; Regal Movie Bucket
Maria Moore-Flagg, Retired Member; Mug and Starbucks gift card and goodies
Greg Taylor, Retired Member; Mug and Starbucks gift card and goodies
Liz Sloan, Principal, Scripps Elementary; Wine and wine glasses
Jolie Pickett, Principal, Garfield High; PF Changs $50 gift card
Kim Richardson, Transportation Ops Supervisor, Pupil Transportation; two rounds of golf, including golf cart
Lumumba Mushonga,Supervising Rehab Specialist, Mental Health Resource Center; $100 Cohn Restaurant gift card
Brian Spry, Program Manger Special Ed, Due Process and Mediation; Instantpot
John Robell, Vice Principal, Standley Middle; $150 Bluetooth speaker
Derek Morris, Vice Principal, CPMA; $400 Universal Studios passes, and $100 Gasoline card
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING THE CATASTROPHIC LEAVE BANK. Now is the time to make decisions about whether or not you, as an AASD member in good standing, want to be part of the district’s Catastrophic Leave Bank. There is a circular for your review, Click Here.
AASD members are eligible to become new members of the Bank or to continue their membership in the Bank. Once one (1) day of sick leave or vacation leave is donated, that means the person donating is a member of the Bank for the next three years (January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2021).
If you are currently a member of the Bank, you do not need to re-enroll. The membership will “roll-over” and your sick leave or vacation account will be debited the same way it was three years ago when you joined. If three years ago, you donated one sick leave day, then the automatic renewal will be that one sick leave day is debited from your account after January 1, 2019. If you wish to change the donation from a sick leave day to a vacation day, or vice versa, then complete the form to do so (see circular). If you wish to opt-out of the Bank and not renew your membership, you must complete the online form to do so.
If you are not currently a member of the Bank, but wish to be one for the next three years, complete the online form following the instructions in the circular.
Being a member of the bank not only assists fellow employees who are in need of a donation, but also gives you the right to be able to withdraw up to 40 fully-paid days if you were to become ill and need a donation.
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-REPRESENTED CERTIFICATED JOB POSTINGS
Principal, San Diego High - Closes 10/31/2018
AASD-REPRESENTED CLASSIFIED JOB POSTINGS
Real Estate Office Supervisor - Closes 11/4/18
Manager, Financial Accounting - Closes 11/4/18
- IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ. This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to affiliate members or retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the form (link below) and returning it to the AASD office. This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Please complete the form referenced below as soon as possible and return it to AASD by scanning and e-mailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org; faxing to 619-295-6274; placing it in school mail addressed to AASD; or sending it via US mail to the address on the form. (Some of you have already filled out the new membership form this summer – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again.) If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD. Click here for Form.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member Please Click here .
- CSA MEMBERSHIP DRIVE: OCTOBER 22 – DECEMBER 7, 2018
The annual fall membership campaign for the Community Service Association, CSA, will be held from October 22 – December 7, 2018.
Note: CSA is the district’s voluntary employee contribution club, a nonprofit association that is entirely District employee-directed and managed. Staff members contribute through a voluntary payroll deduction. CSA supports educational, health and human services, as well as the arts. Funds are collected throughout the school year and then disbursed through grant awards to charitable organizations in San Diego County, on behalf of district employees. Or, CSA members may choose to designate a charity to directly receive their donation.
Employees can become a member of CSA for as little as $1.00 a month (voluntary payroll deductions are made from September-June). Employees may use PeopleSoft to sign up or change contributions to CSA at any time. You are invited to visit the website at sandi.net/csa.
There is a vacancy on the CSA Board of Directors for one classified employee and one administrator/manager/supervisor. The time commitment is minor – the Board meets for approximately an hour just seven times a year; and there are no other infringements on Board members’ time. If you are interested (or know someone who might be) in being a part of a decision-making body that supports those who serve the needy in our community, please send an email to Barbara Asaro at email@example.com.
- SAVE THE DATE FOR AASD HOLIDAY DINNER AND PARTY! Please mark your calendar now and save the date for Friday, December 7th. This event is free for all AASD Members in Good Standing, Affiliates and Retired. Click here for the flyer and make a reservation!
- MANY GREAT OPPORTUNITIES THIS FALL WITH EMPOWER HOUR! CHECK OUT WHAT WE ARE OFFERING BELOW! SIGN UP NOW!
Listed below are our Fall Empower Hour events! Please share this information with any other colleagues who may be interested! Spread the word!
The Mission of Empower Hour is "To encourage, support and inspire female educational leaders through various growth opportunities." Empower Hour is for current, aspiring and retired female administrators, managers and supervisors -- classified and certificated in the San Diego County area. Attached is a revised list of our events for 2018-19. Come and see what we are all about!
November 1, 2018, 5:00-7:00 p.m. (at the AASD office, Mission Valley)
Empower Hour Workshop – Leadership for Women
This workshop is designed specifically for women and will cover the history of women in leadership as well as the special challenges, trends and needs women have when being in positions of leadership. The workshop will be very interactive and will cover role models, obstacles, and tools for women who want to enhance, refine or develop their leadership skills. If you are a current leader or aspiring leader – come and learn!
Light dinner, beverages and door prizes provided. Wear your Empower Hour T-shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy an Empower Hour shirt at the event and get an extra ticket!
This event is sponsored by CALPRO, California Casualty, VEBA, ACSA Region 18 and AASD.
RSVP required and seating is limited. Please only sign up if you are able to attend. If you sign up and plans change, please cancel your reservation via Eventbrite.
Saturday, November 3 OR Saturday, November 10, 2018, 8:45am to 4:15 p.m. (at the VEBA Resource Center, Mission Valley)
Empower Hour – VEBA RESOURCE CENTER HEALTHY REBOOT (choose ONE date only)
Join your Empower Hour colleagues for a FREE Saturday program with a focus on holistic health and well-being. This program will introduce all of the services offered at the new VEBA resource center including biometric screenings, movement, stress management, education, acupuncture (optional) and nutrition. Healthy snacks and lunch will be provided by VEBA. What a wonderful opportunity!
Attendance is limited to 32 participants per Saturday. First come, first served. IMPORTANT - See sign up process information below.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY.
Once you sign up via Eventbrite (link below), you will be contacted by Empower Hour coordinator, Donis Coronel, by email with instructions for completing the registration process.
Participants will be provided with a Registration Form and Assumption of Risk Form which must be completed and returned to VEBA by October 26 (for November 3) or by November 2 (for November 10). Participants are not fully signed up until the forms are received by VEBA. For confidentiality purposes, the forms must be sent directly to VEBA.
Once participants complete the registration process, participants are expected to attend the event. This is an event being provided by VEBA at VEBA's expense. If a participant needs to cancel, please do so 72 hours prior to the event by canceling the reservation on Eventbrite.
This event is sponsored by VEBA and Empower Hour.
Are there ID or minimum age requirements to enter the event?
Participants must be 18 years of age to attend.
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
There is parking available at the facility.
What can I bring into the event?
Dress in active wear and bring a water bottle.
Is there childcare?
Yes! Please complete the section requesting childcare when the registration form is completed.
FOR NOVEMBER 3:
FOR NOVEMBER 10:
Note: Do not sign up for both dates – select one of the dates only.
November 14, 2018, 5:00-8:00 p.m. (at the AASD office, Mission Valley)
Empower Hour Sip Wine N’ Sign!
This is a fun night of networking and making something really cool! See attached pictures from previous events. Not only will you get a light dinner, beverages and have a chance at door prizes, you will go home with a really cool sign of your choice for your home, office or as a gift! There are options of different size signs (one large; two small; etc.). This is our 4th time offering this event and it’s been so much fun!
Light dinner, beverages and door prizes provided by the sponsors. Wear your Empower Hour T-shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy an Empower Hour shirt at the event and get an extra ticket!
There is a cost per person of approximately $40-$45 (depending on which sign/size is selected) plus Eventbrite fees which covers the cost of all the supplies to make the sign. The fee is paid at the time of sign up via Eventbrite. You will also choose your sign(s) and the size of the sign at the same time (choice of 10 different patterns, two of which are “fall” related and two of which are “winter holiday” related). There is also an option of selecting two smaller signs for the same price as one larger one. See the attached for a photo of a previous event and the November 16 sign choices as well as samples of the different size signs. This will help to review prior to signing up on Eventbrite.
This event is sponsored by CALPRO, VEBA, ACSA Region 18 and AASD.
RSVP required and seating is limited. If you would like to bring a friend, family member, etc. please feel free to sign them up! First come, first served!
RSVP by November 6th at:
Link to register: https://empowerhournovember.eventbrite.com
November 27, 2018, 5:00-7:00 p.m. (Casa Machado Restaurant)
Empower Hour Happy Hour
Empower Hour Happy Hour! Come and join us and feel inspired! Join us for complimentary heavy appetizers, networking, an inspirational speaker and door prizes. Our speaker will be Samantha Ivette Kuyateh, a former prosecutor and a local attorney -- a woman with a truly inspirational life story. The speaker will begin at 5:45pm. https://tencersherman.com/attorneys/s-ivette-kuyateh/
Wear your Empower Hour T-Shirt and get an extra raffle ticket. Buy a shirt at the event for $20 and also get an extra ticket.
Please RSVP for this event. If plans change and you cannot attend, please cancel your reservation.
This event is sponsored by CALPRO, California Casualty, VEBA, ACSA Region 18 and AASD.
Thank you from your Empower Hour Planning Team: Becky Bravo, Jennifer Carbuccia, Donis Coronel (coordinator), Clorinda Espinoza, Suzie Fore, Elizabeth Kramer, Carla Love and Randy White.
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Police Management Association (PMA) Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail email@example.com or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" - PLEASE NOTE THIS WEBSITE HAS CHANGED! Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. Regal tickets are now $9.00 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD by members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $17.25 each. There was a recent $0.35 price increase. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $20.50, which saves you $3.25 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. You can also give them the AASD office phone number (619-295-2118) for the discount. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.