AASD Weekly Update 11-08-18
- VETERAN’S DAY OBSERVANCE. The AASD Office will be closed on Monday, November 12 in observance of Veteran’s Day. AASD would like to take this opportunity to thank all of our Members in Good Standing, Retired Members, and Affiliate Members who have either served our country or supported a family member/loved one who has served. To those in uniform serving today and to those who have served in the past, we honor you today and every day. Thank you for your sacrifice.
- RSVP NOW FOR THE AASD HOLIDAY DINNER AND PARTY! Please RSVP now for Friday, December 7th. This event is free for all AASD Members in Good Standing, Affiliates and Retired. Click here for the flyer and make a reservation! Join your colleagues for a fun evening.
- MANY GREAT OPPORTUNITIES THIS FALL WITH EMPOWER HOUR! CHECK OUT WHAT WE ARE OFFERING BELOW! SIGN UP NOW! (NEW EVENT ADDED FOR WORKING MOMS – SCROLL DOWN)
Listed below are our upcoming Fall Empower Hour events! Please share this information with any other colleagues who may be interested! Spread the word!
The Mission of Empower Hour is "To encourage, support and inspire female educational leaders through various growth opportunities." Empower Hour is for current, aspiring and retired female administrators, managers and supervisors -- classified and certificated in the San Diego County area. Attached is a revised list of our events for 2018-19. Come and see what we are all about!
November 27, 2018, 5:00-7:00 p.m. (Casa Machado Restaurant)
Empower Hour Happy Hour
Empower Hour Happy Hour! Come and join us and feel inspired! Join us for complimentary heavy appetizers, networking, an inspirational speaker and door prizes. Our speaker will be Samantha Ivette Kuyateh, a former prosecutor and a local attorney -- a woman with a truly inspirational life story. The speaker will begin at 5:45 pm. https://tencersherman.com/attorneys/s-ivette-kuyateh/
Wear your Empower Hour T-Shirt and get an extra raffle ticket. Buy a shirt at the event for $20 and also get an extra ticket.
Please RSVP for this event. If plans change and you cannot attend, please cancel your reservation.
This event is sponsored by CALPRO, California Casualty, VEBA, ACSA Region 18 and AASD.
AT YOUR REQUEST - NEW EVENT ADDED!
December 5, 2018, 5:00-7:00 p.m. (at the AASD Office, Mission Valley)
Empower Hour Workshop – Resiliency for Working Moms
Today’s working Moms need to build resiliency in order to prevent burnout. This workshop will give working Moms the tools to manage stress while maintaining a sense of work and family life balance. It’s hard being a working Mom! The workshop is interactive.
Light dinner, beverages and door prizes provided. Wear your Empower Hour T-shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy an Empower Hour shirt at the event and get an extra ticket!
This event is sponsored by CALPRO, VEBA, ACSA Region 18 and AASD.
RSVP required and seating is limited. Please only sign up if you are able to attend. If you sign up and plans change, please cancel your reservation via Eventbrite.
Thank you from your Empower Hour Planning Team: Becky Bravo, Jennifer Carbuccia, Donis Coronel (coordinator), Clorinda Espinoza, Suzie Fore, Elizabeth Kramer, Carla Love and Randy White
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
James "Jimmy" Patrick Gonsalves, Zone Manager, Physical Plant Operations, passed away unexpectedly on Friday, October 26. Jimmy was employed at SDUSD for 36 years in a number of positions including the grounds department, PEI, Lead PEI, Landscape Manager and Zone Manager. He was gracious with his time and often served as a mentor to his colleagues. Jimmy was also very active in the community. He served as President for both the Old Mission Beach Athletic Club (OMBAC) and Academic Facilities Council for the International Facility Management Association (IFMA). Jimmy was looking forward to retiring on December 7. Over the past few weeks, he entertained many with reflections of his long career. He will be missed by his colleagues and friends. AASD sends condolences to his partner, Lori, and other family/friends.
Richard “Rick” DelaPena, who retired from Morse High in June 2017 as Vice Principal, passed away on October 25, following a tragic accident. He was surrounded by the love of his family and friends when he passed. A celebration of life will be held on Saturday, November 10 at 10:00 a.m. at the Morse High School auditorium. Rick loved Hawaiian shirts, and the family has requested that men wear Hawaiian shirts and women wear something similar, if they wish. In lieu of flowers, well-wishers may donate to a scholarship fund being created in Rick’s name. Scholarship(s) will be awarded to a special needs student on campus. For more information, please contact Bill Laine, former colleague at (619) 316-6722 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. AASD sends sincere condolences to the family.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-REPRESENTED CERTIFICATED JOB POSTINGS
Principal, San Diego High, repost-Closes 11/12/18.
AASD-REPRESENTED CLASSIFIED JOB POSTINGS
Food Services Facilities Supervisor- Closes 11/14/18
- IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ. This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to affiliate members or retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the form (link below) and returning it to the AASD office. This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Please complete the form referenced below as soon as possible and return it to AASD by scanning and e-mailing it to email@example.com; faxing to 619-295-6274; placing it in school mail addressed to AASD; or sending it via US mail to the address on the form. (Some of you have already filled out the new membership form this summer – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again.) If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD. Click here for Form.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member Please Click here .
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING THE CATASTROPHIC LEAVE BANK. Now is the time to make decisions about whether or not you, as an AASD member in good standing, want to be part of the district’s Catastrophic Leave Bank. There is a circular for your review, Click Here.
AASD members are eligible to become new members of the Bank or to continue their membership in the Bank. Once one (1) day of sick leave or vacation leave is donated, that means the person donating is a member of the Bank for the next three years (January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2021).
If you are currently a member of the Bank, you do not need to re-enroll. The membership will “roll-over” and your sick leave or vacation account will be debited the same way it was three years ago when you joined. If three years ago, you donated one sick leave day, then the automatic renewal will be that one sick leave day is debited from your account after January 1, 2019. If you wish to change the donation from a sick leave day to a vacation day, or vice versa, then complete the form to do so (see circular). If you wish to opt-out of the Bank and not renew your membership, you must complete the online form to do so.
If you are not currently a member of the Bank, but wish to be one for the next three years, complete the online form following the instructions in the circular.
Being a member of the bank not only assists fellow employees who are in need of a donation, but also gives you the right to be able to withdraw up to 40 fully-paid days if you were to become ill and need a donation.
- CSA MEMBERSHIP DRIVE: OCTOBER 22 – DECEMBER 7, 2018
The annual fall membership campaign for the Community Service Association, CSA, will be held from October 22 – December 7, 2018.
Note: CSA is the district’s voluntary employee contribution club, a nonprofit association that is entirely District employee-directed and managed. Staff members contribute through a voluntary payroll deduction. CSA supports educational, health and human services, as well as the arts. Funds are collected throughout the school year and then disbursed through grant awards to charitable organizations in San Diego County, on behalf of district employees. Or, CSA members may choose to designate a charity to directly receive their donation.
Employees can become a member of CSA for as little as $1.00 a month (voluntary payroll deductions are made from September-June). Employees may use PeopleSoft to sign up or change contributions to CSA at any time. You are invited to visit the website at sandi.net/csa.
There is a vacancy on the CSA Board of Directors for one classified employee and one administrator/manager/supervisor. The time commitment is minor – the Board meets for approximately an hour just seven times a year; and there are no other infringements on Board members’ time. If you are interested (or know someone who might be) in being a part of a decision-making body that supports those who serve the needy in our community, please send an email to Barbara Asaro at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail email@example.com with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Police Management Association (PMA) Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at email@example.com. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" - PLEASE NOTE THIS WEBSITE HAS CHANGED! Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. Regal tickets are now $9.00 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD by members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $17.25 each. There was a recent $0.35 price increase. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $20.50, which saves you $3.25 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. You can also give them the AASD office phone number (619-295-2118) for the discount. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.