AASD Weekly Update 11-15-18
- THANKSGIVING WEEK. The AASD staff and Board of Directors wish you and your family a very happy Thanksgiving. We hope this season is filled with much happiness and joy. May your home be filled with love on Thanksgiving Day.
The AASD office will be closed November 19-23 in observance of the Thanksgiving holiday and break. For urgent matters, please contact the Executive Director, Donis Coronel, by e-mail (email@example.com).
- CERTIFICATED WORKLOAD WORK GROUP UPDATE. The Certificated Workload Work Group met on November 2. AASD Representatives present were: Ryan Brock, Donis Coronel, Peg Crane, Listy Gillingham, Kristen Makena, Eileen Moreno, and MC Patton. Kathy Lorden and Dina Sanchez were excused. District Representatives present were: Jessica Falk-Michelli, Sofia Freire, Kimie Lochtefeld, Mitzi Merino, Staci Monreal, Sarah Ott, Greg Ottinger and Acacia Thede
Fifty (50) AASD certificated feedback forms regarding workload were submitted via the Google Doc Form.
AASD presented certificated workload feedback in the following categories:
- Data Monitoring Meeting
- Human Resources
- Institutes/Learning Labs
- Miscellaneous including Assessments, ELL, Finance, PPO, Overall Principal Workload, School Police and SDEA
- Special Education
- Vice Principal Workload
Data Monitoring Meeting: The workload issues presented involved time away from the site, entering data into forms, duplicative reports and lack of consistency between Area Superintendents. District representatives stated that the data monitoring meetings are new and that it appeared that there needed to be clarity around the purpose of the meetings and reflection about how the data is presented/compiled. AASD representatives offered ideas and strategies for making the meetings more useful and the district agreed to take the information and use it towards planning the three remaining meetings for this year.
Human Resources: The feedback forms indicated that most of the workload issues were related to staffing, particularly of special education paraeducators (monthly positions and substitutes) and office clerical staff such as the Elementary School Assistant as well as other classified and specialized certificated positions. Suggestions were made to use additional online job postings such as Indeed and create flyers that can be distributed at local colleges. District representatives shared that one of the challenges that is affecting administrator workload is that many employees have poor attendance and need to be documented/released. Discussion occurred regarding the help/training Human Resources can offer to assist with this process. It was also shared that district representatives are looking at alternative ways to recruit classified substitutes.
Institutes/Learning Labs: Feedback was submitted regarding the Institutes and Learning Labs. It was agreed that the input will be forwarded to the AASD representatives that are already working on this issue with having input into these activities.
IT: Feedback was shared regarding the lack of resources in IT. District representatives stated that positions were added back to IT to assist with this.
Miscellaneous: Miscellaneous concerns were presented regarding workload concerns related to Assessments; ELL; Finance (federal survey cards); PPO (communication); general Principal workload concerns; School Police (lack of staff) and SDEA (chain of command issues).
Special Education: The feedback forms indicated that site administrators are spending a lot of their day handling issues with special needs students. The issues range from not enough support, too many IEP meeting obligations, major behavioral issues, LRE process, safety issues, and response time from central office. District officials stated that special education central office management positions should be staffing by mid-November and that should help with some of the concerns. Also, with a new Executive Director and new management team in Special Education, all processes are being reviewed for efficiency.
Vice Principal Workload. Input was shared from vice principals at schools that lost a vice principal due to budget cuts and/or have a high population of special needs students (IEP’s). While AASD appreciates the return of “part-time/shared” vice principals to a handful of large elementary or K-8 schools, the loss of the 3rd vice principal at high school level and the loss of a 2nd VP at some middle schools has had a significant impact on the workload.
The Workload Work Group will meet again in mid-December. Please continue to report workload concerns/issues/tasks via the Google Doc reporting tool:
- RSVP NOW FOR THE AASD HOLIDAY DINNER AND PARTY! DEADLINE IS NOVEMBER 29. Please RSVP now for Friday, December 7th. This event is free for all AASD Members in Good Standing, Affiliates and Retired members. Click here for the flyer and make a reservation. Join your colleagues for a fun evening!
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. Finally! The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are finalized (minus the signature page) and posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish to. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- MANY GREAT OPPORTUNITIES THIS FALL WITH EMPOWER HOUR! CHECK OUT WHAT WE ARE OFFERING BELOW! SIGN UP NOW! (NEW EVENT ADDED FOR WORKING MOMS – SCROLL DOWN)
Listed below are our upcoming Fall Empower Hour events! Please share this information with any other colleagues who may be interested! Spread the word!
The Mission of Empower Hour is "To encourage, support and inspire female educational leaders through various growth opportunities." Empower Hour is for current, aspiring and retired female administrators, managers and supervisors -- classified and certificated in the San Diego County area. Attached is a revised list of our events for 2018-19. Come and see what we are all about!
November 27, 2018, 5:00-7:00 p.m. (Casa Machado Restaurant)
Empower Hour Happy Hour
Empower Hour Happy Hour! Come and join us and feel inspired! Join us for complimentary heavy appetizers, networking, an inspirational speaker and door prizes. Our speaker will be Samantha Ivette Kuyateh, a former prosecutor and a local attorney -- a woman with a truly inspirational life story. The speaker will begin at 5:45 pm. https://tencersherman.com/attorneys/s-ivette-kuyateh/
Wear your Empower Hour T-Shirt and get an extra raffle ticket. Buy a shirt at the event for $20 and also get an extra ticket.
Please RSVP for this event. If plans change and you cannot attend, please cancel your reservation.
This event is sponsored by CALPRO, California Casualty, VEBA, ACSA Region 18 and AASD.
December 5, 2018, 5:00-7:00 p.m. (at the AASD Office, Mission Valley)
Empower Hour Workshop – Resiliency for Working Moms
Today’s working Moms need to build resiliency in order to prevent burnout. This workshop will give working Moms the tools to manage stress while maintaining a sense of work and family life balance. It’s hard being a working Mom! The workshop is interactive.
Light dinner, beverages and door prizes provided. Wear your Empower Hour T-shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy an Empower Hour shirt at the event and get an extra ticket!
This event is sponsored by CALPRO, VEBA, ACSA Region 18 and AASD.
RSVP required and seating is limited. Please only sign up if you are able to attend. If you sign up and plans change, please cancel your reservation via Eventbrite.
Thank you from your Empower Hour Planning Team: Becky Bravo, Jennifer Carbuccia, Donis Coronel (coordinator), Clorinda Espinoza, Suzie Fore, Elizabeth Kramer, Carla Love and Randy White
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-REPRESENTED CERTIFICATED JOB POSTINGS
Principal, ALBA - Closes 11/23/18
Principal, Hancock - Closes 11/23/18
Principal, Fay (Re-Post) - Closes 11/23/18
Vice Principal, Point Loma High - Closes 11/23/18
AASD-REPRESENTED CLASSIFIED JOB POSTINGS
None at this time.
- IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ. This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to affiliate members or retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the form (link below) and returning it to the AASD office. This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Please complete the form referenced below as soon as possible and return it to AASD by scanning and e-mailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org; faxing to 619-295-6274; placing it in school mail addressed to AASD; or sending it via US mail to the address on the form. (Some of you have already filled out the new membership form this summer – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again.) If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD. Click here for Form.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member Please Click here .
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail email@example.com with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Police Management Association (PMA) Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at email@example.com. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" - PLEASE NOTE THIS WEBSITE HAS CHANGED! Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. Regal tickets are now $9.00 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD by members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $17.25 each. There was a recent $0.35 price increase. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $20.50, which saves you $3.25 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. You can also give them the AASD office phone number (619-295-2118) for the discount. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.