AASD Weekly Update 01-17-19
- MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. OBSERVANCE.
The AASD office will be closed on Monday, January 21 in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Please join AASD in honoring the late Dr. Martin Luther King. In his words -- Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, "What are you doing for others?"
- AMERICAN FIDELITY - DISABILITY INSURANCE SPECIAL ENROLLMENT OPPORTUNITY.
American Fidelity is offering a NO HEALTH QUESTIONS ASKED Special Enrollment for AASD members for disability insurance. An American Fidelity Representative will be visiting numerous San Diego Unified sites throughout January and February. Click here to review the schedule and for information on how to make an appointment. To view the flyer summarizing the Disability Insurance being offered, Click here. This insurance is one of the many benefits afforded to you by being a Member in Good Standing with AASD and is alos available to Affiliate Members.
- MULTI-TASKING…DOES IT REALLY MAKE US MORE EFFECTIVE? Yes or No? No! Multi-tasking does not always help us be more effective. It can divide our attention and make us lose focus. Click here for more information provided by VEBA.
- COME AND JOIN US FOR EMPOWER HOUR! CHECK OUT OUR JANUARY AND FEBRUARY EVENTS! BRING A COLLEAGUE!
Listed below are our upcoming Empower Hour events for January and February! Please share this information with any other colleagues who may be interested! Spread the word! Bring a colleague.
The Mission of Empower Hour is "To encourage, support and inspire female educational leaders through various growth opportunities." Empower Hour is for current, aspiring and retired female administrators, managers and supervisors -- classified and certificated in the San Diego County area. Come and see what we are all about! It’s an excellent opportunity to network, meet new people, become inspired and to catch up with old friends!
January 30, 2019, 5:00-7:30 p.m. (at the corporate offices of Mission Federal Credit Union, Scripps Ranch Area)
Empower Hour Happy Hour in North San Diego!
Join us for an evening of inspiration, networking and fun ! Appetizer, beverages and door prizes provided.
Click on the following link to RSVP.
February 12, 2019, 5:00-7:00 p.m. (at the AASD office, Mission Valley)
Empower Hour Women Love Their Money! Tips for Financial Wellness and Planning for Retirement
Empower Yourself! Come and join us for an evening of camaraderie, networking and financial literacy. Our experts will present information on how, as a female, to plan for retirement and other financial tips. No sales pitch -- you will be provided financial literacy by the experts at CALPRO Network Services to help you make great decisions that affect your future. Light dinner, beverages, door prizes and more! Wear your Empower Hour T-Shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy one at the event ($20) and get that extra ticket. Please arrive at 5:00 p.m. or by 5:30 p.m. at the latest (speaker begins at 5:30 p.m.). Avoid Interstate 8 east, if possible. Due to limited space, we ask that you only sign up if you plan on attending. If you sign up and plans change, please cancel your reservation via Eventbrite or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sponsored by CALPRO, ACSA Region 18 and the Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD).
Thank you from your Empower Hour Planning Team: Becky Bravo, Jennifer Carbuccia, Donis Coronel (coordinator), Clorinda Espinoza, Suzie Fore, Elizabeth Kramer, Carla Love and Randy White
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
It is with great sadness that AASD reports the death of LAURA KNIGHT, Labor Relations Specialist (former Administrative Assistant II to CBO Greg Ottinger), who passed away on Friday, January 11. Laura held many progressively responsible positions in the district over the years including administrative support at EB Scripps Elementary, IT, Labor Relations and direct support to the CBO. Laura is survived by her 13-year-old daughter, Kayla; her mother Betty Knight (SDUSD retiree); her step mother; siblings and other relatives. She leaves behind many beloved friends and colleagues at SDUSD who mourn the loss of a beautiful friend and co-worker who was such a dedicated and loyal employee in our District.
Funeral services will be held on Monday, January 21 at 10:30 AM at Sunridge Community Church, 42299 Winchester Road, Temecula, CA 92590. All are welcome to attend.
A Go Fund Me campaign has been set up to help support Kayla’s needs. To donate, please visit https://www.gofundme.com/LauraKnight
Laura’s mother, Betty, would like us all to remember and mourn Laura and to emphasize the importance of mental health as we love and support one another. Supports have been put into place at the Education Center to offer assistance to those colleagues who many need it during this most sad and difficult time. Dr. Noemi Villegas is the contact person for anyone feeling they need support.
Additionally, the Employee Assistant Program is available to all employees, toll-free, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
● All services are CONFIDENTIAL.
● Services are available to all household and dependent family members.
● You may receive 5 FREE face-to-face counseling sessions (per incident) with an EAP provider.
Website: www.liveandworkwell.com access code: VEBA
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-REPRESENTED CERTIFICATED JOB POSTINGS
None at this time.
AASD-REPRESENTED CLASSIFIED JOB POSTINGS
None at this time.
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are finalized and posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish to. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- ATTENTION RETIRED CERTIFICATED FOLKS! AASD was contacted by retired principal, Allan Peck, who is the regional coordinator at National University for student teacher supervisors. He is looking for certificated retirees (with extensive teaching experience and a masters degree) to be supervisors for student teachers. The pay is approximately $1,000 per student teacher. If you are interested, or know someone who is, please contact Allan Peck at email@example.com.
- IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ. This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to affiliate members or retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the form (link below) and returning it to the AASD office. This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Please complete the form referenced below as soon as possible and return it to AASD by scanning and e-mailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org; faxing to 619-295-6274; placing it in school mail addressed to AASD; or sending it via US mail to the address on the form. (Some of you have already filled out the new membership form this summer – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again.) If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD. Click here for Form.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member, please Click here .
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail email@example.com with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Police Management Association (PMA) Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at email@example.com. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" - PLEASE NOTE THIS WEBSITE HAS CHANGED! Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. Regal tickets are now $9.00 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD by members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $17.25 each. There was a recent $0.35 price increase. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $20.50, which saves you $3.25 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. You can also give them the AASD office phone number (619-295-2118) for the discount. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.