AASD Weekly Update 12-20-18
- AASD HOLIDAY HOURS/GREETING. The AASD Board of Directors sends best wishes for a wonderful holiday season and a new year filled with peace and happiness. One of the real joys this holiday season is the opportunity to say thank you to our AASD Members, Retired Members and Affiliate Members and wish you the very best for the new year. We sincerely hope you enjoy the holiday season with family and friends and ring in the new year safely.
The AASD Office will be closed from Monday, December 24 through Friday, January 4. During this period of time, if you have an urgent matter, please contact Donis Coronel, Executive Director, at 619-813-8792 or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Happy Holidays!
- COME JOIN US FOR EMPOWER HOUR! CHECK OUT OUR NEXT EVENTS!
Happy Holidays from the Empower Hour Planning Team! Listed below are our upcoming Empower Hour events! Please share this information with any other colleagues who may be interested! Spread the word! Bring a friend or colleague.
The Mission of Empower Hour is "To encourage, support and inspire female educational leaders through various growth opportunities." Empower Hour is for current, aspiring and retired female administrators, managers and supervisors -- classified and certificated in the San Diego County area. Also attached is a revised list of our events for 2018-19. Come and see what we are all about! It’s an excellent opportunity to network, meet new people, become inspired and to catch up with old friends!
January 16, 2019, 5:00-7:30 p.m. (at the AASD Office, Mission Valley)
Empower Hour and ArtBeat San Diego – Do it Yourself Succulent Terrarium Party
Gather with Empower Hour colleagues and create a functional piece of growing artwork for your home, office or outdoor space! This guided plant party allows each participant to create two drought tolerant, indoor/outdoor succulent terrariums. This Plant Party includes all the materials to build your own unique desk-top terrariums with the help of a knowledgeable and fun ArtBeat plant artist who will lead the event. There is a $30 cost for this event plus a small processing fee. The $30 and processing feel include materials for two terrariums, dinner and beverages. For details, click the link below.
Light dinner, beverages and door prizes provided. Wear your Empower Hour T-shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy an Empower Hour shirt at the event and get an extra ticket!
This event is sponsored by CALPRO, VEBA, ACSA Region 18 and AASD.
RSVP and payment is required and seating is limited.
RSVP at: DIY Terrarium Workshop: https://goo.gl/h9P7Mf
January 30, 2019, 5:00-7:30 p.m. (at the corporate offices of Mission Federal Credit Union, Scripps Ranch Area)
Empower Hour Happy Hour
Come and join us for a fun evening! Our corporate partners, Mission Federal Credit Union, have offered to host our Empower Hour event and show off their new offices, plus provide a fabulous speaker (SVP Neville Billimoria) and some great fun, including door prizes. See attached flyer !
Appetizers, beverages and door prizes provided. Wear your Empower Hour T-shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy an Empower Hour shirt at the event and get an extra ticket!
This event is sponsored by Mission Federal Credit Union, ACSA Region 18 and AASD.
RSVP required. Please only sign up if you are able to attend. If you sign up and plans change, please cancel your reservation via Eventbrite.
Thank you from your Empower Hour Planning Team: Becky Bravo, Jennifer Carbuccia, Donis Coronel (coordinator), Clorinda Espinoza, Suzie Fore, Elizabeth Kramer, Carla Love and Randy White
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-REPRESENTED CERTIFICATED JOB POSTINGS
Principal, Hancock Elementary, closes 1/10/19
Vice Principal, Point Loma High, closes 1/10/19
Principal, ALBA, closes 1/10/19
Principal, Fay Elementary, closes 1/10/19
Program Manager, Secondary Teaching and Learning, closes 1/10/19
AASD-REPRESENTED CLASSIFIED JOB POSTINGS
- FREEDOM FOUNDATION SENDS ANTI-UNION POSTCARDS TO SOME AASD MEMBERS. Some AASD members have reported receiving postcards this week at their home mailing address from the Freedom Foundation urging them to drop membership in their union (AASD). The Freedom Foundation is an organization in Washington, Oregon and California that is funded by billionaires who are interested in demolishing public sector unions and privatizing our schools. Once the postcards were reported to AASD, immediate action was taken to ensure that the District did not provide home addresses to the Freedom Foundation. AASD feels confident that the District did not provide the information. We also know there was not a security breach of the District or AASD computer system to obtain home addresses. What we have discovered is that it appears that the Freedom Foundation (who have plenty of money and a lot of time) is hiring people to troll the District/School/ Department websites and compile lists of employees and then continue to troll the internet for public records with home addresses. AASD has also learned that some SDUSD CSEA and SDEA members also received the postcard, as well as teachers in South Bay and Chula Vista. AASD also consulted with colleagues in other administrator unions throughout California regarding the Freedom Foundation and the postcards. Others report that the Freedom Foundation has obtained some district e-mail addresses, but this was the first they knew of the postcards to home addresses. Our District confirmed that they have blocked the Freedom Foundation this past year 28 times from infiltrating the District’s email system.
AASD is confident that our members know and understand the value of being a union-represented member. AASD unionized in 2009 and those that were with the District as management prior to 2009 know the forward strides AASD has made on the behalf of our members. We have a good collective bargaining agreement for both classified and certificated and a strong voice with the District leadership. If any member has questions about the benefit of being a union member, please contact the AASD office. Our AASD staff will be happy to share information. Together we are stronger!
Please remember that following the Janus decision, all AASD represented managers/supervisors were notified that they cannot discuss/advise or otherwise influence other union members in units outside of AASD (i.e., SDEA, CSEA, POA, etc.). This means that if employees outside of the AASD unit want to discuss the Freedom Foundation with you, you cannot do so. Simply refer them to their respective union.
Thank you for your continued support of AASD. We value you as a union member and will continue to represent you in a professional and appropriate manner.
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are finalized and posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish to. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ. This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to affiliate members or retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the form (link below) and returning it to the AASD office. This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Please complete the form referenced below as soon as possible and return it to AASD by scanning and e-mailing it to email@example.com; faxing to 619-295-6274; placing it in school mail addressed to AASD; or sending it via US mail to the address on the form. (Some of you have already filled out the new membership form this summer – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again.) If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD. Click here for Form.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member, please Click here .
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Police Management Association (PMA) Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail email@example.com or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" - PLEASE NOTE THIS WEBSITE HAS CHANGED! Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. Regal tickets are now $9.00 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD by members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $17.25 each. There was a recent $0.35 price increase. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $20.50, which saves you $3.25 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. You can also give them the AASD office phone number (619-295-2118) for the discount. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.