AASD Weekly Update 02-14-19
- BARGAINING UPDATE. AASD has a classified contract and a certificated contract in place until June 30, 2020. A copy of each contract is available on the AASD website www.aasdcs.org. AASD negotiated reopener negotiations to be conducted in 2018-19 with any changes implemented in the 2019-20 year. The agreement is to reopen the Wage Article and two other articles. Originally the District notified AASD that they would be reopening the Health and Welfare article and the Hours of Employment article (which is where language regarding furlough/work year reduction days resides) in addition to Wages. AASD notified the District that we would reopen on the Appendix only (in addition to Wages). Following the initial notification, the District has now notified AASD that they will NOT be reopening the Health and Welfare Benefits article, nor the Hours of Employment article. What this means is that Health and Welfare Benefits will remain as is and that there will NOT be any proposals forthcoming from the District for additional/continued work year reduction or furlough days for 2019-20. All current furlough days will be returned on July 1, 2019 to AASD represented members which will include salaries being adjusted accordingly (which for “most” in the AASD unit is an approximate 5% increase). Reopener bargaining on Wages will begin closer to May when the Governor’s May Revise is presented and a more clear picture of the District’s financial status is available. Your AASD bargaining teams are:
Chief Negotiator/Executive Director, AASD: Donis Coronel
Certificated Bargaining Team
Chair : Scott Thomason, Principal, CPMA Middle
Michelle Bell, Program Manager, Nursing and Wellness
Jonathan McDade, Principal, Correia Middle
Alex Nguyen, Vice Principal, Marston Middle
Ernie Remillard, Principal, Mission Bay High
Lauren Robinson. Principal, Hawthorne Elementary
Classified Bargaining Team
Chair : Jesus Montana, Sergeant, School Police
Bill Cheney, Food Services Area Supervisor
Bryan Ehm, Maintenance Supervisor
Jaime (Jim) Felix, Transportation Budget Supervisor
Brian Kenworthy, Operations Specialist
Lumumba Mushonga, Supervising Rehab Specialist
Official Notetaker: Patricia Burch, Retired Member
- CERTIFICATED WORKLOAD WORK GROUP UPDATE. The certificated workload work group met in December to review feedback provided by members. A follow up meeting was to be held last week, but it interfered with the SBB process and was canceled. The group will meet again in April. The workload feedback form is available between now and April to provide feedback on workload issues/concerns.
- ACSA REGION 18 SCHOLARSHIPS.
Region 18 of the Association of California School Administrators (ACSA) (San Diego and Imperial Counties) and the San Diego County School Boards Association are very pleased to offer five $1,000 scholarships as a result of donations made by both organizations and their generous business partners.
Their scholarships provide an award for four high school seniors who meet the following criteria: 1) show proven academic success with at least a 3.3 cumulative grade point average; 2) are involved in community service; 3) who may not necessarily qualify for other financial aid, and 4) are pursuing a career in education as a teacher or other certificated employee.
Click here for the application.
Please encourage your students to apply by Monday, April 15, 2019.
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are finalized and posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail email@example.com or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" - PLEASE NOTE THIS WEBSITE HAS CHANGED! Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. Regal tickets are now $9.00 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD by members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $17.25 each. There was a recent $0.35 price increase. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $20.50, which saves you $3.25 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. You can also give them the AASD office phone number (619-295-2118) for the discount. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.