AASD Weekly Update 02-21-19
- CLARIFICATION ON CURRENT FURLOUGH DAYS AND CALENDARS FOR 2019-20. As you know, there are currently furlough days during this school year (2018-19) for all AASD represented members (classified and certificated). AASD-represented unit members were permitted to elect to work a flexible calendar for 2018-19 to ensure that all have the opportunity to use the days. Some members have elected to follow the posted calendars and others have elected to create an individual flexible calendar. The savings from the furlough days for 2018-19 is recognized by the salary schedules being reduced monthly by the percentage equal to the number of furlough days. The number of furlough days varies depending on the job title and calendar and range from 14 days to 3 days.
On July 1, 2019, the furlough days revert back to work days. This means that effective July 1, 2019, all AASD represented members will recognize an increase in their paycheck as well as an increase in their work year as there will not be furlough days. The salary schedules will be adjusted to compensate for the increase in work days. For most AASD members, that equates to an increase on the salary schedule of approximately 5% (exception – Vice Principals who received less furlough days). The work calendars for 2019-20 are on the district’s website and may be accessed below. AASD-represented members are to follow the published work calendars (in rare cases an individual calendar is permitted if approved by the supervisor and Payroll).
For 10-month Food Services Supervisors and Area Supervisors, the contract language regarding “smoothing” (11 equal paychecks for August-June) is not valid after June 30, 2019 as the language was tied to furlough days. Therefore, the pay schedule reverts back to the previous pay distribution (as it was prior to 2017-18) and there will not be 11 equal checks. This means there will not be a check in July 2019, there will be a partial check for days worked in August 2019, and then a mix of full and partial pays throughout the 2019-20 year (September-June) depending on the month. Please plan ahead for this change in pay warrant distribution.
Certificated Management and Site Administrator Calendars (Principals and Vice Principals)
- Vice Principal-Traditional (193 Days)
- Vice-Principal–Year-Round (193 Days)
- Elementary/Middle-Level Site Principal Traditional (219 Days)
- Elementary/Middle-Level Site Principal Year-Round (219 Days)
- Senior High Principal-Traditional (228 Days)
- Certificated Management-11 Months (228 Days)
Classified - Management/Supervisor/Confidential
- Classified 12-Month Central Office Managers/Supervisors (AASD and Non-Represented) and Confidential Staff
- Managers/Supervisors (AASD) 10 Month Traditional (206 Days) (*Calendar will be forthcoming)
- Managers/Supervisors (AASD) 10 Month Year-Round (206 Days) (*Calendar will be forthcoming)
- Managers/Supervisors (AASD) 11 Month Traditional (226 Days) (*Calendar will be forthcoming)
- Managers/Supervisors (AASD) 11 Month Year-Round (226 Days) (*Calendar will be forthcoming)
- Food Services Supervisors/Area Supervisors (AASD) 10 Month Traditional (206 Days) (*Calendar will be forthcoming)
*Calendars that are forthcoming will be posted on the District’s website at https://www.sandi.net/staff/employee-calendars/2019-20-classified-employee-calendars
- MARK YOUR CALENDAR NOW! AASD SPRING CONFERENCE IS MARCH 19, 2019. All AASD members in good standing (attendance is mandatory), non-represented management, confidential employees and AASD retired members are invited to join AASD/SDUSD for the annual Spring Conference on March 19. Breakfast is provided from 7:00 a.m. to 7:45 a.m. Our conference theme is "Stories Matter: How Will You Tell Yours?" Our keynote speaker is Scholastic author Pam Allyn, a literacy expert and author. Workshops include: Strategies to Raise a Community of Super Readers; Using Social Media To Tell Your Story; Your Safety and Self Defense; Finding Balance Between Your Budget Today and Life Tomorrow; and Music, Mood and Your Inner Mojo Matters (managing stress through music). There is something for everyone! For members in good standing, non-represented management and confidential employees – please sign up through ERO. For AASD retired members, no RSVP necessary – just show up! Click here for the information about the conference.
- COME AND JOIN US FOR EMPOWER HOUR! CHECK OUT OUR UPCOMING EVENTS AND BRING A COLLEAGUE. NEW EVENT ADDED!
Listed below are our upcoming Empower Hour events! Please share this information with any other colleagues who may be interested! Spread the word! Bring a colleague. Attached is an UPDATED list of our events for 2018-19.
The Mission of Empower Hour is "To encourage, support and inspire female educational leaders through various growth opportunities." Empower Hour is for current, aspiring and retired female administrators, managers and supervisors -- classified and certificated in the San Diego County area. Come and see what we are all about! It’s an excellent opportunity to network, meet new people, become inspired and to catch up with old friends!
March 5, 2019, 5:15-7:15 p.m. (at the AASD office, Mission Valley) -- NEW EVENT ADDED!
How Taxes Affect Your Financial Plan
Empower Yourself! By request, Joe Bauers, owner of CALPRO Financial Network, will present a session on how taxes affect your financial plan. One of the biggest components of financial planning is how taxes affect you now and in your future financial plan. Come and join us for an evening of camaraderie, networking and financial literacy centered around being educated about your tax status. Joe, a seasoned expert and financial planner, will present information on your tax status as a female. No sales pitch -- you will be provided financial literacy by the experts at CALPRO Network Services to help you make great decisions that affect your future. Light dinner, beverages, door prizes and more! Wear your Empower Hour T-Shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy one at the event ($20) and get that extra ticket. Please arrive at 5:15 p.m. to enjoy dinner or by 5:45 p.m. at the latest (speaker begins at 5:45 p.m.). Avoid Interstate 8 east, if possible. Due to limited space, we ask that you only sign up if you plan on attending. If you sign up and plans change, please cancel your reservation via Eventbrite or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
This event is sponsored by CALPRO Financial Network, ACSA Region 18 and the Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD).
March 13, 2019, 5:00-7:00 p.m. (at Marie Callender's Restaurant and Bakery, 330 F Street, Chula Vista 91910)
Empower Hour Happy Hour
We are back in the South area! Come and join us for a fun evening of networking and inspiration! Hear a great speaker (Kristine Shipman, Executive Leadership Coach, SDCOE), network with colleagues and relax!
Appetizers and door prizes provided. Wear your Empower Hour T-shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy an Empower Hour shirt at the event and get an extra ticket!
This event is sponsored by CALPRO Financial Network, California Casualty, VEBA, ACSA Region 18 and AASD.
RSVP required. Please only sign up if you are able to attend. If you sign up and plans change, please cancel your reservation via Eventbrite.
March 20, 2019, 5:00-8:00 p.m. (at the AASD office, Mission Valley)
Empowered Mental Prep for Interviewing
It's that time of year when opportunities to interview for school district positions happen! Empower Hour has pulled together a panel of HR professionals from several San Diego school districts to provide tips for interviewing and to answer your questions. We know that each school district has their own specific process for recruitment, interviewing and hiring -- the information provided by our experts will be generic and applicable to any recruitment process in any district -- for those seeking classified or certificated management/administrative positions. Our esteemed panel consists of Kim Phifer, Assistant Superintendent Human Resources and Organizational Development, South Bay; Acacia Thede, Chief Human Resources Officer, San Diego Unified; Yolanda Rogers, Assistant Superintendent Human Resources and Professional Development, Lemon Grove; and possibly one more Human Resources professional.
Come and be prepared so that you do the best interview possible and have the best chance ever at the job you want!
A light dinner and beverages will be provided as well as door prizes. Dinner from 5:00-5:30pm with the panel starting at 5:30 p.m. Wear your Empower Hour T-Shirt and get an extra raffle ticket. Or buy a T-shirt at the event and get that extra ticket!
This event is sponsored by CALPRO Financial Network, VEBA, California Casualty, SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union, ACSA Region 18 and AASD.
Seating is limited for this event. Please only sign up if you can actually attend. If the event is full, please contact Donis at email@example.com to be placed on the waiting list. Avoid Interstate 8 east if possible.
Thank you from your Empower Hour Planning Team: Becky Bravo, Jennifer Carbuccia, Donis Coronel (coordinator), Clorinda Espinoza, Suzie Fore, Elizabeth Kramer, Carla Love and Randy White
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
Bruce Kravitz, husband of Sylvia Kravitz, Retired Food Services Region Field Manager, passed away this month (February). Our condolences to Sylvia and her family.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-REPRESENTED CERTIFICATED JOB POSTINGS
Principal, Chollas-Mead, Closes 2/22/19
AASD-REPRESENTED CLASSIFIED JOB POSTINGS
Real Estate Office Supervisor, Closes 4/30/19
Construction Management Supervisor, Closes 3/4/19
- AASD IS AWARDING $750 SCHOLARSHIPS TO CHILDREN OF OUR AASD MEMBERS IN GOOD STANDING! The AASD Scholarship Committee is pleased to announce that sons/daughters (including step-sons and step-daughters) of AASD Members in Good Standing who are graduating seniors this year are eligible for AASD scholarships for $750 each to be used towards higher education. This is an increase from previous years where the scholarships were $500! The AASD Scholarship Program is funded by dues from AASD Retired Members and from funds raised last year at our first annual Casino Night fundraiser. All members/students who apply and are qualified will receive a $750 scholarship. The application submission deadline is April 16, 2019. Please click the link for information on how to apply.
Mark your calendar now for our 2019 Casino Night Fundraiser for the AASD Scholarship Program! October 4, 2019, 6:00 to 10:30 p.m. More information to come! All proceeds go to fund scholarships for the children of AASD Members in Good Standing. The Scholarship Committee hopes to raise enough money to be able to again improve the amount of the scholarship. The Scholarship Committee is co-chaired by Veronica Ortega and Stacey Simpson and supported by AASD Staff Donis Coronel and Jim Costello. The committee members are: Bridgette Brunetto, Anthony DeLuca, Troy Hickey, Marcy Lammey, Erica Renfree, Jeff Sabins and Carmi Strom.
If you have a family member or friend who owns/works for a business that would like to be a sponsor of this fundraising effort, or donate a door prize, please share their contact information with Donis Coronel, Executive Director. We need the support of vendor/business partners to make this a successful event.
- IMPORTANT – NEW ELECTRONIC LINK AVAILABLE! FILL OUT YOUR AASD RECOMMITMENT FORM NOW! This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to affiliate members or retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the google form (link below). This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Some of you have already filled out the new membership form over the past few months – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again. If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member, please Click here .
- CERTIFICATED WORKLOAD WORK GROUP UPDATE. The certificated workload work group met in December to review feedback provided by members. A follow up meeting was to be held in February, but it interfered with the SBB process and was canceled. The group will meet again in April. The workload feedback form is available between now and April to provide feedback on workload issues/concerns.
- ACSA REGION 18 SCHOLARSHIPS.
Region 18 of the Association of California School Administrators (ACSA) (San Diego and Imperial Counties) and the San Diego County School Boards Association are very pleased to offer five $1,000 scholarships as a result of donations made by both organizations and their generous business partners.
Their scholarships provide an award for five high school seniors who meet the following criteria: 1) show proven academic success with at least a 3.3 cumulative grade point average; 2) are involved in community service; 3) who may not necessarily qualify for other financial aid, and 4) are pursuing a career in education as a teacher or other certificated employee.
Click here for the application.
Please encourage your students to apply by Monday, April 15, 2019.
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are finalized and posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail email@example.com or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" - PLEASE NOTE THIS WEBSITE HAS CHANGED! Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. Regal tickets are now $9.00 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD by members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $17.25 each. There was a recent $0.35 price increase. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $20.50, which saves you $3.25 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. You can also give them the AASD office phone number (619-295-2118) for the discount. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.