AASD Weekly Update 04-04-2019
- AASD OFFICER ELECTIONS. Please click the link below to vote for your AASD officers for 2019-20 and 2020-21 (2-year term). You may either vote for the incumbent or vote for a write-in candidate. Voting is reserved for AASD Members In Good Standing only. Retired or affiliate members are not eligible to vote. Voting closes on April 11 at 11:59 p.m. Take an active role in your union by voting!
- CERTIFICATED WORKLOAD WORK GROUP UPDATE. The certificated workload work group met in December to review feedback provided by members. A follow up meeting was to be held in February, but it interfered with the SBB process and was canceled. The group will meet again in April. The workload feedback form is available between now and April 22 to provide feedback on current workload issues/concerns.
- SPRING CONFERENCE WINNERS! Thank you to all who attended the AASD/SDUSD Spring Conference on March 19. Thank you for supporting our vendor partners by visiting their tables throughout the event. Door prize winners are listed below. All door prizes are provided by donations from the cost of vendor tables or donated directly from a vendor partner.
Steve Elizondo, $100 SD Restaurants
Matt Fallon, $25 Starbucks
Sofia Glover, $25 Starbucks
Sofia Glover, $50 PF Changs
Marcie Jones, $25 VISA
Carrie Hall, $50 Bev Mo
Brandon Lemmon, $25 Panera
Micheline Morales, $25 Buffalo Wild Wings
Nona Richard, Gift Basket
Carolina Romero, $25 Chilis
Maria Sanchez, Wine
Sherrie Shumaker, $50 PF Changs
Liz Sloan, Visa Gift Card
Brian Spry, $50 Target
Michelle Vergne, $50 PF Changs
Want a copy of Pam Allyn’s (keynote speaker) book? Every Child a Super Reader. If so, please e-mail Jim Costello, AASD Office Clerk, at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for a copy which can be sent to you via school mail. First come, first served.
- DEADLINE APPROACHING! AASD IS AWARDING $750 SCHOLARSHIPS TO CHILDREN OF OUR AASD MEMBERS IN GOOD STANDING! The AASD Scholarship Committee is pleased to announce that sons/daughters (including step-sons and step-daughters) of AASD Members in Good Standing who are graduating seniors this year are eligible for AASD scholarships for $750 each to be used towards higher education. This is an increase from previous years where the scholarships were $500! The AASD Scholarship Program is funded by dues from AASD Retired Members and from funds raised last year at our first annual Casino Night fundraiser. All members/students who apply and are qualified will receive a $750 scholarship. The application submission deadline is April 16, 2019. Please click the link for information on how to apply.
- CALL FOR VOLUNTEER SCHOLARSHIP EVALUATORS.
The San Diego Foundation is in the middle of scholarship season, and they have openings for volunteer evaluators to determine the recipients of nearly $3 million in scholarships. Every year, evaluators go through all 120 scholarship funds on the Common Scholarship Application to help select the most qualified and diverse set of awardees possible. Whether or not you have volunteered before, it is an enriching, impactful, and thoroughly enjoyable experience through which you can not only do great work, but meet great people who care about fostering education in the community.
San Diego Foundation is looking for evaluators who are unaffiliated with any high school, who can commit to a minimum of 4 hours, are comfortable working online, and can attend at least one weekday meeting at the offices in Liberty Station. Here’s a breakdown of the schedule:
December 5 - February 5 – Common Scholarship Application open period
March - April – Applications distributed to volunteers for evaluation (20 mins per application; completed evaluations generally due within 2-3 weeks of distribution)
April - May – Award decision meetings held at The San Diego Foundation offices (1 hour)
June 5 – Final students notified of award decisions (students generally notified within 1 week of decision meeting)
If you are available during these dates and would like to join our scholarship evaluation committee, or you think a colleague/friend/relative/contemporary would be a good fit, please contact Daniel Stigall at 619-814-1315 or Daniels@sdfoundation.org and he will follow up with our training materials. Thank you!
- CAL COAST CARES FOUNDATION HIGH SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM.
Cal Coast has extended the deadline for their two high school Scholarship programs. The total in high school scholarships is $30,000 (awards are between $2,000-$2,500 each) and total in foster student scholarship is $30,000 (awards are $2,000 each). For the foster students who receive a scholarship in 2019, if they remain eligible, they can apply and receive a second year of funding in 2020, which can help establish them at school. Click here for the application for high school seniors, and click here for the foster student application.
- COME AND JOIN US FOR EMPOWER HOUR! CHECK OUT OUR REMAINING EVENTS FOR 2018-19! BRING A COLLEAGUE!
Listed below are the remainder of our upcoming Empower Hour events for 2018-19! Please share this information with any other colleagues who may be interested! Spread the word!
The Mission of Empower Hour is "To encourage, support and inspire female educational leaders through various growth opportunities." Empower Hour is for current, aspiring and retired female administrators, managers and supervisors -- classified and certificated in the San Diego County area. Come and see what we are all about! It’s an excellent opportunity to network, meet new people, become inspired and to catch up with old friends!
April 23, 2019 (at the AASD office, Mission Valley)
Empower Hour Self-Defense Strategies for Women
Do you have a personal safety strategy? How do you avoid various potentially violent situations? What should you do if you're caught in one? Come join the Empower Hour group in this interactive workshop to consider aspects of personal safety emphasizing strategy. Even if you attended last year, come back and join us again for some personal growth and fun. The instructor is Dr. Jolie Pickett, Principal of Garfield High School in the San Diego Unified School District who previously taught TangSooDo Karate and self-defense for over 20 years.
A light dinner and beverages will be served from 5:00 to 5:30 p.m. The workshop will begin at 5:30 p.m. Door prizes will be given at the end of the workshop. Wear your Empower Hour T-Shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy an Empower Hour shirt at the event and get an extra ticket!
This workshop is sponsored by CALPRO Financial Network, VEBA, ACSA Region 18 and AASD.
Please only sign up if you intend to attend. If your plans change, please cancel your reservation. Seating is limited for this event.
May 1, 2019, 5:00-7:00 p.m. (at Offshore Tavern and Grill – Morena Blvd/Mission Bay area)
Empower Hour Happy Hour
Come and join us for a fun evening of networking and inspiration and our last Empower Hour Happy Hour of this school year! Hear a great inspirational speaker and network with colleagues – or just relax! It’s a great location! Grab a colleague and bring her along with you!
Appetizers and door prizes provided. Wear your Empower Hour T-shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy an Empower Hour shirt at the event and get an extra ticket!
This event is sponsored by CALPRO Financial Network, VEBA, ACSA Region 18 and AASD.
RSVP required. Please only sign up if you are able to attend. If you sign up and plans change, please cancel your reservation via Eventbrite.
May 15, 2019, 5:00-8:00 p.m. (at the AASD office, Mission Valley)
Sip Wine n’ Sign
This is a fun night of networking and making something really cool! Not only will you get a light dinner, beverages and have a chance at door prizes, you will go home with a really cool sign of your choice for your home, office or as a gift! There are options of different size signs (one large; two small; etc.). This is our 5th time offering this event and it’s been so much fun! See attached pictures of a prior event and sign choices for this event.
Light dinner, beverages and door prizes provided by the sponsors. Wear your Empower Hour T-shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy an Empower Hour shirt at the event and get an extra ticket!
There is a cost per person of approximately $40-$55 (depending on which sign/size is selected) plus Eventbrite fees which covers the cost of all the supplies to make the sign. The fee is paid at the time of sign up via Eventbrite. You will also choose your sign(s) and the size of the sign at the same time (choice of 10 different sign patterns). There is also an option of selecting two smaller signs for the same price as one larger one.
This event is sponsored by CALPRO, VEBA, ACSA Region 18 and AASD.
RSVP required by May 7 and seating is limited. No refunds for cancellations will be issued after May 6. If you would like to bring a friend, family member, etc. please feel free to sign them up! First come, first served!
Sign Up Here!
Link to register: https://empowerhourmay19.eventbrite.com
May 22, 2019, 5:00-7:30 p.m. (at the VEBA office, Mission Valley)
Empower Hour Healthy Cooking
Join the Empower Hour group and VEBA for an evening of healthy cooking tips and tricks at the VEBA Resource Center. Chef Leslie Myers will prepare and serve a sampling of food (heavy taste) and provide information on nutrition for women who have busy careers. Attendees will also be provided with healthy recipes to take home and try. The class is interactive and will be a lot of fun. Chef Leslie's website is https://foodsensenow.com/ Check it out! Come and join us for an amazing evening!
Wear your Empower Hour T-Shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Door prizes will be given away at the end of the class.
Due to the planning involved in this class, you must sign up to attend and the sign up cut off is MAY 14, 4PM. Please only sign up if you intend to attend. If your plans change, please cancel your reservation by MAY 14.
This event is sponsored by VEBA, ACSA Region 18 and AASD.
Thank you from your Empower Hour Planning Team: Becky Bravo, Jennifer Carbuccia, Donis Coronel (coordinator), Suzie Fore, Clorinda Haynes, Elizabeth Kramer, Carla Love and Randy White
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
AASD sends condolences to the family of Col. Jane M. Boehrer. November 26, 1937 - February 25, 2019. Col. Boehrer of Solana Beach (age 81) passed away at her home. She is survived by two of her five siblings, and eleven nieces and nephews. Jane earned a BS from the University of Wisconsin and completed a year internship at the UCSF Medical School in dietetics before joining the US Air Force. Through active service and as a reservist, she earned the rank of Colonel. Jane worked for SDUSD for 25 years as the Director of Food and Nutrition Services. She was a member of the St. John's Catholic Church, Encinitas. A Rosary followed by a Memorial Mass was held there on Thursday, April 4, 2019.
AASD sends sincere condolences to the family and friends of former SDUSD Assistant Superintendent, Beverly “Bev” Foster who passed away on March 21st. During her long career with SDUSD, Bev worked as a teacher, principal and in various high level administrative positions in leadership. She also worked at Point Loma Nazarene College. Colleague and friend, Freda Callahan, said, “Bev was one of the strongest, most courageous women I have ever been privileged to have as a friend.” Bev was described by her former colleague, Ruth Peshkoff, as, “an incredible moving force in advancing women in leadership in the district and was a pillar of strength on the district’s bargaining team.” She left behind quite a legacy in SDUSD. Bev is survived by her daughter, Amy, who was a wonderful support to her. Information regarding services will be forthcoming. For those who may not be able to attend the service, Amy has requested that fond memories of Bev be sent to her via e-mail to share at the service. Amy’s e-mail is email@example.com.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-REPRESENTED CERTIFICATED JOB POSTINGS
Director, College, Career and Technical, Closes 4/10/19
Principal, Mann Middle School, REPOST, Closes 4/5/19
Principal, Fay Elementary School, REPOST, Closes 4/5/19
Principal, Franklin Elementary, Closes 4/10/19
AASD-REPRESENTED CLASSIFIED JOB POSTINGS
Contracts Administration Supervisor, Closes 4/15/19
Real Estate Office Supervisor, Closes 4/30/19
AASD DISTINGUISHED LEADER AWARDS. Each year, AASD honors a number of members as AASD Distinguished Leaders. Please consider nominating a colleague for AASD Distinguished Leader Award. We have wonderful co-workers throughout our AASD bargaining unit and in our retiree ranks who are worthy of recognition and the AASD Member Relations Committee is hopeful that you will take the time to nominate someone who goes "Above and Beyond!" You can nominate a co-worker from any category. The winners will be recognized at the annual AASD Summerfest on June 14, 2019.
The following link will lead you to the nomination form. Nominations are due by April 30, 2018. Click below for the link to the form and criteria.
- ELEMENTARY PRINCIPALS – COULD YOUR KINDERS BENEFIT FROM AASD'S 50/50 RAFFLE FUNDRAISER? If you have attended some of AASD’s social events over the years, you may have participated in the 50/50 raffle. The proceeds from the 50/50 raffle – which began in 2014 – have been used to supply incoming Kindergarten (and TK) students at a deserving elementary school with a wonderful homework kit full of school supplies.
If you would like your elementary site to be considered for the Homework Kits for the opening of the 2019-20 school year, please complete and submit the application no later than April 30, 2019. The Member Relations Committee will review the applications and select the next school(s) to receive the Homework Kits. The lucky school(s) will be announced at this year’s Summerfest event on June 14, 2019. The following link will lead you to the nomination form. Nominations are due by April 30, 2019. Click below for the link to the form.
- MARK YOUR CALENDAR NOW for our 2019 Casino Night Fundraiser for the AASD Scholarship Program! October 4, 2019, 6:00 to 10:30 p.m. More information to come! All proceeds go to fund scholarships for the children of AASD Members in Good Standing. The Scholarship Committee hopes to raise enough money to be able to again improve the amount of the scholarship. The Scholarship Committee is co-chaired by Veronica Ortega and Stacey Simpson and supported by AASD Staff Donis Coronel and Jim Costello. The committee members are: Bridgette Brunetto, Anthony DeLuca, Troy Hickey, Marci Lammey, Erica Renfree, Jeff Sabins and Carmi Strom.
If you have a family member or friend who owns/works for a business that would like to be a sponsor of this fundraising effort, or donate a door prize, please share their contact information with Donis Coronel, Executive Director. We need the support of vendor/business partners to make this a successful event.
- IMPORTANT – NEW ELECTRONIC LINK AVAILABLE! FILL OUT YOUR AASD RECOMMITMENT FORM NOW! This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to affiliate members or retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the google form (link below). This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Some of you have already filled out the new membership form over the past few months – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again. If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member, please Click here .
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are finalized and posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail email@example.com or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" - PLEASE NOTE THIS WEBSITE HAS CHANGED! Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. Regal tickets are now $9.00 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD by members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $17.25 each. There was a recent $0.35 price increase. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $20.50, which saves you $3.25 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. You can also give them the AASD office phone number (619-295-2118) for the discount. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.