AASD Weekly Update 04-25-2019
- FREE WORKSHOP ON IDENTITY THEFT FOR AASD MEMBERS IN GOOD STANDING, AFFILIATE MEMBERS AND RETIRED MEMBERS, TUESDAY MAY 14. The AASD Professional Development Committee presents the following free workshop for our Members in Good Standing, Affiliate Members and Retired Members - ID Theft 101 - What are the current trends in ID Theft and what can you do to prevent becoming a victim. Come and learn - this topic affects us all! The presenter is Randy Lawrence who retired after 30 years in law enforcement. He was a Commander in the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office, Chief of Humane Law Enforcement for the San Diego Humane Society, and most recently was a Lieutenant at San Diego State University. Randy is a cyber-crimes expert, and a trained computer forensic examiner. Specializing in identity theft, Randy has published multiple magazine articles and has taught courses on identity theft. Randy worked with the Internet Crimes against Children Task Force, a national network of law enforcement and prosecutorial agencies pursuing cases involving child abuse and exploitation via the internet. Prior to this he worked on the CATCH (Computer and Technology Crime High Tech Response Team) task force, a multi-agency effort dedicated to investigating internet crimes and advanced technology. Randy currently works with the ID Theft Resource Center and is a part of their Speaker’s Bureau.
The event is 4:30-6:30 p.m. 4:30-5:00 p.m. will be sign in, appetizers and beverages (provided by AASD). The workshop will begin promptly at 5:00 p.m. Seating is limited so please only sign up if you intend to attend. If you need to cancel, please do so via Eventbrite. If sign-ups are full, please contact Donis Coronel at AASD (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be placed on the wait list.
RSVP is required:
- CALL FOR NOMINATIONS FOR THE 2019-2020 AASD BOARD OF DIRECTORS. Nominations are being accepted now through April 29 for the following positions on the AASD Board of Directors:
Senior High Principals (incumbent Jeff Olivero, Principal, UCHS)
VP’s (incumbent Jenney Nash, Vice Principal, Muirlands Middle)
Central Office Certificated Managers (incumbent Dean Darley, Program Manager, CCTE)
Classified Managers (incumbent Jennifer Marrone, Business Manager, Food Services)
Classified Supervisors (no incumbent)
Food Services Supervisors/Area Supervisors (incumbent Cristine Holmer, Food Services Area Supervisor, Hoover High)
School Police (incumbent Deanna Laramore, School Police Communications Supervisor)
Names listed in parenthesis are incumbents who have indicated they will run again. Even though there is an incumbent listed for the categories above, any AASD Member In Good Standing may self-nominate or may be nominated by another AASD Member in Good Standing in any category. After April 30, nominees will be notified to ensure that they accept the nomination and will be asked to write a brief candidate statement. Elections will be held at the May 9, 2019 AASD Membership Meeting. Nominations are being accepted in ALL categories listed, including those where the incumbent has already expressed interest in running again.
Responsibilities of a Board of Directors member are to attend monthly Board of Directors meetings (typically the 3rd Wednesday of the month, September thru June, 3:00-4:30pm), and to be actively involved in policy making and providing input at the meeting. The Board of Directors is vested with full authority and responsibility for executive and business administration of all AASD affairs, with each member of the board having one vote. Board of Directors members are responsible for representing their constituents on matters that concern them. Terms for the Board of Directors are two-year terms. General membership meetings are held twice a year (October and May) and members of the Board of Directors are expected to attend. Board of Directors members are also highly encouraged to attend AASD social functions.
AASD is a member-run organization. Your participation is encouraged and crucial to the success of our Union. Please consider running for one of the positions listed.
If you are interested in running for a position or in nominating a colleague, please e-mail your nomination to AASD Executive Director, Donis Coronel by 5:00pm on April 30. (email@example.com)
- DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE VEBA RESOURCE CENTER HEALTHY REBOOT? The VEBA Resource Center was designed to help VEBA members (employees, retirees and their dependents) manage their well-being through a wide range of programs and services. This is a free service for all VEBA members and childcare is provided upon request. Many AASD members have attended and the feedback has been very positive. Click here for more information and dates.
- SAVE THE DATES FOR UPCOMING AASD EVENTS, AND SIGN UP FOR SUMMERFEST NOW! The following dates are for AASD-sponsored activities during the 2018-19 school year. Please mark your calendar now. These events are for all AASD Members In Good Standing, Affiliate and Retired Members.. Our union is only as strong as the membership and your participation!
May 09, 2019, 4-7 pm, AASD Spring Membership Meeting, Marina Village, MARINE ROOM (new room). Please attend for Business Updates and Board of Director Elections . FLYER ATTACHED
June 14, 2019, 5-10 pm, AASD Summerfest, Marina Village, Baja Room Room (new room). Please join us and our " Americana" theme for an evening of fun. We will be honoring our Retiring Members and AASD Distinguished Leaders. Please note all reservations and deposits are due on or before June 3rd. Due to restrictions by the venue, we are no longer able to accept late reservations. Once our counts are turned in, we can not modfiy them. Please be sure to sign up timely to not miss out !! FLYER ATTACHED.
- DEADLINE APPROACHING AASD DISTINGUISHED LEADER AWARDS. Each year, AASD honors a number of members as AASD Distinguished Leaders. Please consider nominating a colleague for AASD Distinguished Leader Award. We have wonderful co-workers throughout our AASD bargaining unit and in our retiree ranks who are worthy of recognition and the AASD Member Relations Committee is hopeful that you will take the time to nominate someone who goes "Above and Beyond!" You can nominate a co-worker from any category. The winners will be recognized at the annual AASD Summerfest on June 14, 2019.
The following link will lead you to the nomination form. Nominations are due by April 30, 2018. Click below for the link to the form and criteria.
- COME AND JOIN US FOR EMPOWER HOUR! CHECK OUT OUR REMAINING EVENTS FOR 2018-19! BRING A COLLEAGUE!
Listed below are the remainder of our upcoming Empower Hour events for 2018-19! Please share this information with any other colleagues who may be interested! Spread the word!
The Mission of Empower Hour is "To encourage, support and inspire female educational leaders through various growth opportunities." Empower Hour is for current, aspiring and retired female administrators, managers and supervisors -- classified and certificated in the San Diego County area. Come and see what we are all about! It’s an excellent opportunity to network, meet new people, become inspired and to catch up with old friends!
May 1, 2019, 5:00-7:00 p.m. (at Offshore Tavern and Grill – Morena Blvd/Mission Bay area)
Empower Hour Happy Hour
Come and join us for a fun evening of networking and inspiration and our last Empower Hour Happy Hour of this school year! Hear a great inspirational speaker and network with colleagues – or just relax! It’s a great location! Grab a colleague and bring her along with you!
Appetizers and door prizes provided. Wear your Empower Hour T-shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy an Empower Hour shirt at the event and get an extra ticket!
This event is sponsored by CALPRO Financial Network, VEBA, ACSA Region 18 and AASD.
RSVP required. Please only sign up if you are able to attend. If you sign up and plans change, please cancel your reservation via Eventbrite.
May 15, 2019, 5:00-8:00 p.m. (at the AASD office, Mission Valley)
Sip Wine n’ Sign
This is a fun night of networking and making something really cool! Not only will you get a light dinner, beverages and have a chance at door prizes, you will go home with a really cool sign of your choice for your home, office or as a gift! There are options of different size signs (one large; two small; etc.). This is our 5th time offering this event and it’s been so much fun! See attached pictures of a prior event and sign choices for this event.
Light dinner, beverages and door prizes provided by the sponsors. Wear your Empower Hour T-shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy an Empower Hour shirt at the event and get an extra ticket!
There is a cost per person of approximately $40-$55 (depending on which sign/size is selected) plus Eventbrite fees which covers the cost of all the supplies to make the sign. The fee is paid at the time of sign up via Eventbrite. You will also choose your sign(s) and the size of the sign at the same time (choice of 10 different sign patterns). There is also an option of selecting two smaller signs for the same price as one larger one.
This event is sponsored by CALPRO, VEBA, ACSA Region 18 and AASD.
RSVP required by May 7 and seating is limited. No refunds for cancellations will be issued after May 6. If you would like to bring a friend, family member, etc. please feel free to sign them up! First come, first served!
Sign Up Here!
Link to register: https://empowerhourmay19.eventbrite.com
May 22, 2019, 5:00-7:30 p.m. (at the VEBA office, Mission Valley)
Empower Hour Healthy Cooking
Join the Empower Hour group and VEBA for an evening of healthy cooking tips and tricks at the VEBA Resource Center. Chef Leslie Myers will prepare and serve a sampling of food (heavy taste) and provide information on nutrition for women who have busy careers. Attendees will also be provided with healthy recipes to take home and try. The class is interactive and will be a lot of fun. Chef Leslie's website is https://foodsensenow.com/ Check it out! Come and join us for an amazing evening!
Wear your Empower Hour T-Shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Door prizes will be given away at the end of the class.
Due to the planning involved in this class, you must sign up to attend and the sign up cut off is MAY 14, 4PM. Please only sign up if you intend to attend. If your plans change, please cancel your reservation by MAY 14.
This event is sponsored by VEBA, ACSA Region 18 and AASD.
Thank you from your Empower Hour Planning Team: Becky Bravo, Jennifer Carbuccia, Donis Coronel (coordinator), Suzie Fore, Clorinda Haynes, Elizabeth Kramer, Carla Love and Randy White
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
Ronald Anderson January 26, 1933 - April 7, 2019 (San Diego) Ronald Anderson was born in Glendale,CA. He graduated from Vista High School, and went on to complete both undergraduate and master's degrees at San Diego State University. After college he was an officer in the U.S. Navy for 4 years, then returned to San Diego to start a lifelong career with the San Diego Unified School District. Over the course of the next 3 decades he served as teacher, vice principal, and principal at various elementary schools, including Torrey Pines Elementary and Chollas Elementary. Later in his career he served as a school district administrator and oversaw the operations of many elementary and secondary schools. In retirement, Ron enjoyed playing tennis, golfing, traveling, reading, and walking along the beach. Ron is survived by his loving wife, Carolyn, his 2 sisters, Norma Maynard (John) and Marion Delaney (Pat), his daughter and son-in-law, Jean and Mark Leidner, grandson and granddaughter, Mason and Aubrey, and a number of nieces and nephews, all of whom adored their Uncle Ronnie'. He was loved and respected by all who knew him and his family and friends will miss him beyond measure.
For those who would like information on a Celebration of Life, please call Bob Raines at 858-492-9374
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-REPRESENTED CERTIFICATED JOB POSTINGS
None at this time
Note: We anticipate numerous positions to be posted on May 1.
AASD-REPRESENTED CLASSIFIED JOB POSTINGS
Real Estate Office Supervisor, Closes 4/30/19
- MARK YOUR CALENDAR NOW for our 2019 Casino Night Fundraiser for the AASD Scholarship Program! October 4, 2019, 6:00 to 10:30 p.m. More information to come! All proceeds go to fund scholarships for the children of AASD Members in Good Standing. The Scholarship Committee hopes to raise enough money to be able to again improve the amount of the scholarship. The Scholarship Committee is co-chaired by Veronica Ortega and Stacey Simpson and supported by AASD Staff Donis Coronel and Jim Costello. The committee members are: Bridgette Brunetto, Anthony DeLuca, Troy Hickey, Marci Lammey, Erica Renfree, Jeff Sabins and Carmi Strom.
If you have a family member or friend who owns/works for a business that would like to be a sponsor of this fundraising effort, or donate a door prize, please share their contact information with Donis Coronel, Executive Director. We need the support of vendor/business partners to make this a successful event.
- IMPORTANT – NEW ELECTRONIC LINK AVAILABLE! FILL OUT YOUR AASD RECOMMITMENT FORM NOW! This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to affiliate members or retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the google form (link below). This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Some of you have already filled out the new membership form over the past few months – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again. If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member, please Click here .
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are finalized and posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail email@example.com or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" - PLEASE NOTE THIS WEBSITE HAS CHANGED! Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. Regal tickets are now $9.00 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD by members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $17.25 each. There was a recent $0.35 price increase. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $20.50, which saves you $3.25 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. You can also give them the AASD office phone number (619-295-2118) for the discount. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.