AASD Weekly Update 05-16-2019
- AASD AWARDS $11,250 IN SCHOLARSHIPS TO GRADUATING SENIORS! Congratulations to the graduating seniors of our AASD Members in Good Standing and Retired Member listed below. Each of the 15 recipients was awarded a $750 scholarship towards continuing education. Each recipient wrote an essay on “The Ways in Which My Parents Have Helped and Supported Me.” The essays were amazing, and we have some fantastic parents among us!
AASD is proud to be able to award these scholarships that are funded by the dues paid by retired members and by funds raised at our annual Casino Night Scholarship Fundraiser. The Scholarship Committee offers to present the scholarship at a school awards ceremony at the request of the parent/student. Thank you to the members of the Scholarship Committee and AASD staff who volunteered to present the scholarships at evening/weekend ceremonies.
Dylan Darley (son of Dean Darley, Program Manager, CCTE) who is graduating from Granite Hills High and plans on attending San Diego State University
Kylen Dent (son of Staci Dent, Principal, Horton Elementary) who is graduating from Lincoln High and plans to attend Morehouse College
Jared Garcia (son of Julie Garcia, Program Manager, Educational Technology) who is graduating from San Diego High and plans to attend San Diego State University
Emilio Hernandez (son of Fernando Hernandez, Principal, Perkins Elementary) who is graduating from San Diego High and plans to attend the University of California San Diego
Nicole Higdon (daughter of Deborah Higdon, Program Manager, City Heights Collaborative) who is graduating from Serra High and plans to attend Cal State Fullerton
Broyles McClure (son of Sandra McClure, Principal, Greene Elementary) who is graduating from Monte Vista High and plans to attend San Diego State University
Krizel Meave (daughter of Ruben Meave, Custodial Services Supervisor, Physical Plant Operations) who is graduating from Chula Vista High and plans to attend San Diego State University
Jonathan Montgomery (son of Maria Montgomery, Principal, Dingeman Elementary) who is graduating from Cathedral Catholic High and plans to attend Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Emily Nicholson (daughter of Mark Nicholson, Specialist, Instrumental Music, VAPA) who is graduating from Westview High School and plans to attend Miramar College
Tiffany Pham (daughter of Anthony Pham, Vice Principal, Monroe Clark Middle) who is graduating from Patrick Henry High and plans to attend Scripps College
Jaden Rode (son of Ron Rode, Director, Research and Development) who is graduating from Scripps Ranch High and plans to attend California State Fullerton
Lilia Ruvalcaba (daughter of Magdalena Ruvalcaba, Principal, Cubberley Elementary) who is graduating from Hoover High and plans to attend Miramar College/California State University San Marcos
Miles Silva (son of Veronica Maxwell, Principal, Burbank Elementary) who is graduating from Granite Hills High and plans to attend MIT
Jonathan Ugarte (son of Teresa Jaime, Program Manager, Early Childhood Education) who is graduating from Otay Ranch High and plans to attend the University of California Irvine
Alyssa Williams (daughter of Tracy Williams, Retired AASD Member) who is graduating from Grossmont High and is planning to attend the University of California Santa Barbara
- VICE PRINCIPAL JOB POSTING (SHARED POSITIONS) There is a job posted for the Vice Principal positions that are “shared” positions. For those applying, there is a requirement in the posting to provide information in the cover letter about the school the applicant is applying to. Since this posting is for many different schools, members have asked how to answer the question. Per Chief Human Resources Officer, Acacia Thede, the applicant may answer the question “generically” since the candidate is applying for a number of schools.
- AASD DISTINGUISHED LEADERS FOR 2018-19. Congratulations to the following AASD members who have been selected as AASD Distinguished Leaders for 2018-19. These awards are given to those who were nominated by colleagues for their exemplary service to SDUSD and/or AASD, their dedication to students and the educational process and their volunteerism. They will be honored at the June 14 Summerfest event.
2018-19 Distinguished Leaders:
Cindy Allen, Administrative Support, ACSA Region 18 – Special Recognition
Bridgette Brunetto, Confidential Administrative Assistant II, Labor Relations – Special Recognition
Kathy Burns, Principal, Gage Elementary -- Elementary Principal
Michel Cazary, Principal, Spreckels Elementary -- Elementary Principal
Jaime (Jim) Felix, Transportation Budget Supervisor -- Classified Supervisor
Brian Kenworthy, Operations Specialist, Charter School Office -- Classified Manager
Sherwin Laroya, Food Services Area Supervisor, Montgomery Middle -- Food Services
Thom Lutz, Building Services Supervisor III, CPMA Middle -- BSS III/POS
Maria Moore-Flagg -- Retiree Network
Jeff Palovich, Building Services Supervisor III, Hancock Elementary -- BSS III/POS
Jolie Pickett, Principal, Garfield High -- High School Principal
Heather Potter, Principal, Knox Middle School -- Middle Level Principal
Karina Reyes, Vice Principal, Roosevelt Middle -- Vice Principal
- CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR MEMBERS WHO WON THE FOLLOWING PRIZES AT OUR SPRING MEMBERSHIP MEETING!
Suzie Fore Beer Cooler
John Aguilar See's Candies Gift Certificate
Susan Jarrold Vodka Freezer Pops
Patti Burch Wind Chimes
Susan Kent See's Candies Gift Certificate
Precious Hubbard Cell Phone Charger Pad
James Brayall Mug and $40 Starbucks Gift Card
Brian Kenworthy Movie Basket
Matthew Fleming Mug and $40 Starbucks Gift card
Thomas Stoklosa $50 PF Changs Gift Certificate
Maria Moore-Flagg Cooler and Margarita/Nacho Fixings
Ken Lewis $100 Restaurant Gift Card
Paula Hamar GRAND PRIZE, $250 Southwest Gift Card
In addition, 12 gifts valued at $50 each, provided by our Vendor/Partners were won by lucky participants.
- FREE PODCAST FROM LOZANO SMITH ATTORNEYS AT LAW ON THE TOPIC “WHEN MARIJUANA AND SCHOOLS COLLIDE.” AASD is sharing this very informative and interesting podcast with you.
The issue of students using marijuana in California’s public schools is ever evolving, and leaves many confused as to the state of the law. Sloan Simmons engages experts in this area of school law, Aimee Perry and Alyssa Bivins, on the most recent developments, including issues for school districts to consider when it comes to student discipline, special education, medication administration, as well as possible changes to state and federal law regarding cannabis which, if passed, would affect school districts. Listen now.
- DEADLINE APPROACHING - SIGN UP FOR SUMMERFEST NOW!
June 14, 2019, 5-10 pm, AASD Summerfest, Marina Village, BAJA ROOM (new room). Please join us and our "Americana" theme for an evening of fun. This event is free for all Members In Good Standing, Affiliate Members and Retired Members. We will be honoring our Retiring Members and AASD Distinguished Leaders. Please note: all reservations and deposits are due on or before June 3rd. Due to restrictions by the venue, we are no longer able to accept late reservations. Once our counts are turned in, we cannot modify them. Please be sure to sign up timely so you don't miss out!! FLYER ATTACHED.
- CALCOAST CREDIT UNION GRANTS.
The purpose of the Cal Coast Cares Foundation Educator Grants is to provide teachers in K-12 public and private charter schools, community and state colleges/universities in San Diego County and Riverside Counties with monetary support for classroom projects in teaching any of the STREAM fields (Science, Technology, Reading, Engineering, Arts, and Math). For more information and to apply, click below.
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
The Celebration of Life for Bev Foster will be May 19 from 2-4PM at Tom Hams on Harbor Island. All are welcome.
AASD is sad to report the death of Gerie Anne Stalle, who passed April 7, 2019. Gerie was administrative support to many of our members.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
- AASD-REPRESENTED CERTIFICATED JOB POSTINGS
Vice Principal, Elementary and K-8, Revised, Closes 6/10
Principal, Logan Memorial, Closes 6/10
Vice Principal, San Diego High-Re-post, Closes 6/10
Program Manager, Special Education-Low incidence, Closes 5/23
Educational Complex Director, Logan/Memorial Complex, Closes 5/19
- AASD-REPRESENTED CLASSIFIED JOB POSTINGS
None at this time.
- MARK YOUR CALENDAR NOW for our 2019 Casino Night Fundraiser for the AASD Scholarship Program! October 4, 2019, 6:00 to 10:30 p.m. More information to come! All proceeds go to fund scholarships for the children of AASD Members in Good Standing. The Scholarship Committee hopes to raise enough money to be able to, again, improve the amount of the scholarship. The Scholarship Committee is co-chaired by Veronica Ortega and Stacey Simpson and supported by AASD Staff Donis Coronel and Jim Costello. The committee members are: Bridgette Brunetto, Anthony DeLuca, Troy Hickey, Marci Lammey, Erica Renfree, Jeff Sabins and Carmi Strom.
If you have a family member or friend who owns/works for a business that would like to be a sponsor of this fundraising effort, or donate a door prize, please share their contact information with Donis Coronel, Executive Director. We need the support of vendor/business partners to make this a successful event.
- DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE VEBA RESOURCE CENTER HEALTHY REBOOT? The VEBA Resource Center was designed to help VEBA members (employees, retirees and their dependents) manage their well-being through a wide range of programs and services. This is a free service for all VEBA members and childcare is provided upon request. Many AASD members have attended and the feedback has been very positive. Click here for more information and dates.
- IMPORTANT – NEW ELECTRONIC LINK AVAILABLE! FILL OUT YOUR AASD RECOMMITMENT FORM NOW! This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to Affiliate members or Retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the google form (link below). This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Some of you have already filled out the new membership form over the past few months – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again. If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member, please Click here .
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are finalized and posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail email@example.com with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at email@example.com. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" - PLEASE NOTE THIS WEBSITE HAS CHANGED! Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. Regal tickets are now $9.00 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD by members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $17.25 each. There was a recent $0.35 price increase. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $20.50, which saves you $3.25 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. You can also give them the AASD office phone number (619-295-2118) for the discount. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.