AASD Weekly Update 06-13-2019
- REMINDER – FURLOUGH DAYS ARE RETURNED ON JULY 1, 2019. As a reminder, all work calendars have been adjusted to reflect the return of the furlough days that were part of the 2017-18 and 2018-19 calendars. For all AASD members (with the exception of vice principals) this will equate to an approximate 5%+ increase on the July 2019 paycheck. Vice principals took less furlough days due to the impact on CalSTRS and therefore the increase is approximately 1%+. If you have any questions, please direct them to the AASD office for clarification. Work calendars are posted on the district’s website.
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-Represented CERTIFICATED Job Postings
Principal, Linda Vista Elem Closes 6/14
Program Manager, Special Education(Early Childhood Education), Closes 6/19
AASD-Represented CLASSIFIED Job Postings
Food Services Operations Support Supervisor, Closes 6/14
Project Manager, District Wide Application (DWA), Closes 6/14
Planned Projects Supervisor, Closes 6/15
- AASD COMMITTEES – WE WANT YOU! Are you interested in getting more involved at AASD and serving on a committee? AASD has the following opportunities to serve and support! If you are interested in joining any of these committees, please e-mail AASD Executive Director, Donis Coronel, at firstname.lastname@example.org. It is a great way to get your foot in the door in becoming active with YOUR union! Please consider joining us on a committee!
AASD PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
(Typically meets each month, the 1st Wednesday of the month, 3:00-4:30 p.m. at the AASD office)
Co-Chairs: Kristin Makena (Program Specialist, Special Education) and Mario Garcia, (Supervisor, Special Education Translation Unit)
This committee plans and executes the annual AASD/SDUSD Spring Conference. In addition, the committee approves all requests for professional growth reimbursement ($100). The committee may also elect to plan other professional development activities throughout the year.
AASD MEMBER RELATIONS COMMITTEE
(Typically meets each month, the 1st Tuesday of the month, 3:30-5:00 p.m. at the AASD office)
Co-Chairs: Irene Hightower (Principal, Hancock Elementary) and Maria Moore-Flagg (Retired)
This committee has responsibility for the AASD Distinguished Leader Recognition Program, the Homework Kit Fundraiser, logistics for any membership meetings and for all aspects of the annual Summerfest and Winter Holiday events. This committee also plans other social/networking/collegial events and programs, including welcoming new AASD members.
AASD FINANCE COMMITTEE
(Meets in December, February, May and August/September each school year at the AASD office)
Chair: Peggy Zickert (AASD Secretary/Treasurer; Program Manager, Program Monitoring)
This committee has responsibility for reviewing the finances of the AASD organization. The committee also prepares the annual budget which is then sent to the Board of Directors for approval. Also, this committee reviews and manages the AASD investment account and makes recommendations regarding these funds.
AASD SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE
(Typically meets the 4th Monday of the month, typically five times per year, 3:30-5:00 p.m. at the AASD office)
Co-Chairs: Veronica Ortega (Operations Specialist, Office of School Innovation) and Stacey Simpson (Vice Principal, Madison High)
This committee plans fundraisers to benefit the AASD Scholarship Fund, as well as solicits sponsors for the fundraising events. The committee is also responsible for the scholarship program, approving scholarships and presenting scholarships.
- CalSTRS JUNE-JULY WORKSHOPS AND GROUP SESSIONS.
Attached are flyers for upcoming CalSTRS workshops and small group sessions for retirement and pension planning at the San Diego Member Service Center. Click here for the workshops, and Click here for the small group sessions information.
- MARK YOUR CALENDAR NOW for our 2019 Casino Night Fundraiser for the AASD Scholarship Program! October 4, 2019, 6:00 to 10:30 p.m. More information to come! All proceeds go to fund scholarships for the children of AASD Members in Good Standing. The Scholarship Committee hopes to raise enough money to be able to, again, improve the amount of the scholarship. The Scholarship Committee is co-chaired by Veronica Ortega and Stacey Simpson and supported by AASD Staff Donis Coronel and Jim Costello. The committee members are: Bridgette Brunetto, Anthony DeLuca, Troy Hickey, Marci Lammey, Erica Renfree, Jeff Sabins and Carmi Strom.
If you have a family member or friend who owns/works for a business that would like to be a sponsor for this fundraising effort, or donate a door prize, please share their contact information with Donis Coronel, Executive Director. We need the support of vendor/business partners to make this a successful event.
- DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE VEBA RESOURCE CENTER HEALTHY REBOOT? The VEBA Resource Center was designed to help VEBA members (employees, retirees and their dependents) manage their well-being through a wide range of programs and services. This is a free service for all VEBA members and childcare is provided upon request. Many AASD members have attended and the feedback has been very positive. Click here for more information and dates.
- IMPORTANT – NEW ELECTRONIC LINK AVAILABLE! FILL OUT YOUR AASD RECOMMITMENT FORM NOW! This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to Affiliate members or Retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the google form (link below). This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Some of you have already filled out the new membership form over the past few months – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again. If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member, please Click here .
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are finalized and posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail email@example.com with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at email@example.com. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" - PLEASE NOTE THIS WEBSITE HAS CHANGED! Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. Regal tickets are now $9.00 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD by members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $17.25 each. There was a recent $0.35 price increase. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $20.50, which saves you $3.25 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. You can also give them the AASD office phone number (619-295-2118) for the discount. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.