AASD Weekly Update 07-11-2019
- IMPORTANT MEMBERSHIP MEETING – HOLD THE DATE ON YOUR CALENDAR – DON’T MISS THIS! All members in good standing, affiliate members and retired members will receive an invitation to attend our August 19, 4pm special membership meeting to provide information about AASD’s new affiliation with the American Federation of School Administrators (AFSA) AFL-CIO and other valuable updates including an update on bargaining. The invitations will go out the first week of August and an RSVP is required. HOLD THE DATE NOW ON YOUR CALENDAR AND PLAN ON ATTENDING. THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT MEETING!
- AASD OFFICE. The AASD office at 3505 Camino del Rio South #264 is open all summer from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. AASD staff stagger vacations so there is always one staff member in the office. If you plan to visit the office to purchase movie tickets, See’s Candies certificates or for other unscheduled business, please call the office first as there are times when there is only one of us working and we may have stepped out for lunch or other business. The office number is 619-295-2118.
- RETIRED MEMBERS WHO ARE SUBSTITUTING IN AASD-REPRESENTED POSITIONS. If you are retired and are substituting in an AASD position, did you know that if you have a formal complaint filed against you and are summoned to the Quality Assurance Office or Human Resources, that AASD will provide you with AASD representation as long as you are a Retired Member of AASD? If you are subbing, and this happens to you – call AASD for assistance! We do not provide this service to retirees who are not lifetime or annual-renewal members of AASD.
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-Represented CERTIFICATED Job Postings
Educational Complex Director, Lincoln High closes 7/12
Principal, Lincoln High closes 7/12
AASD-Represented CLASSIFIED Job Postings
None at this time
- IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FROM AASD FOR ALL MEMBERS! PLEASE READ.
AASD has existed as a professional organization for over 80 years. In 2009, AASD was certified as a Union and the exclusive representative for principals, vice principals, central office certificated managers, classified managers and classified supervisors. This year is AASD’s 10-year anniversary. We have grown and thrived over the 10 years we have been a union!
In honor of AASD’s 10-year anniversary, the AASD Board of Directors has announced AASD’s new vision and mission. The link to access the mission/vision statement is below.
On June 19, 2019 the AASD Board of Directors voted to become a Local under the American Federation of School Administrators (AFSA) AFL-CIO. This is an important and huge move for AASD.
After careful thought and consideration, the AASD Board of Directors has taken the step to join arms with and become a Local under AFSA effective July 1, 2019. AFSA is the only nationwide union for school administrators, both classified and certificated. For close to 50 years, AFSA has been providing a powerful network of support and service to school administrators, managers and supervisors by creating one strong nationwide voice for school administrators, managers and supervisors. AFSA is affiliated with national AFL-CIO.
What Does This Mean for AASD as a Union? What this means for AASD is that as a Local under AFSA, AASD will be part of an organization that brings together more than 20,000 school leaders into a united voice, providing more power in the workplace. As a Local under AFSA, AASD will also be provided with union liability insurance as part of the dues structure. In addition, AASD staff will have access to the AFSA leadership team, the AFSA staff attorney, the AFSA public relations team, and countless other supports related to the business of running a union, which will be provided by AFSA at no additional cost to AASD. This also allows AASD to have a voice with the local San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council (AFL-CIO). This new affiliation will not change the day- to- day operations of AASD. AFSA will be a resource and support, as needed, to AASD.
What Does This Mean for AASD Members in Good Standing? All AASD Members In Good Standing (dues paying members) will enjoy the many benefits of AASD being a Local under AFSA at no additional cost to the member. The AASD budget will cover the membership costs of being a Local under AFSA by using current member dues. Effective July 1, 2019, all AASD Members in Good Standing will receive $1,000,000 of professional liability insurance; access to the AFSA Legal Trust for work related legal charges; $10,000 of AFSA accidental death coverage; AFSA Total Disability Insurance and more. In addition, all AASD Members in Good Standing will be able to apply for AFSA scholarships for their children and access the AFSA Travel Desk for no additional cost. All AASD Members in Good Standing will also receive AFSA AFL-CIO Union Plus benefits which are thousands of discounted services including credit cards, auto insurance, rental car discounts, pet health insurance, theme park discounts, hotel discounts, car rental discounts, moving truck discounts, mortgage programs, flower discounts, shopping discounts, motor club and legal service discounts and much more.
AASD Members in Good Standing do not need to sign up for AFSA membership. All AASD Members in Good Standing will be automatically signed up on July 1 as an AFSA member. Starting in mid-July, all AASD members will begin to receive materials from AFSA regarding the benefits of membership by both US mail and e-mail to personal e-mail addresses. Once the member receives the materials, the member may begin to access the benefits through AFSA or Union Plus.
AASD Retired Members and AASD Affiliate Members will receive a separate communication from AASD within the next three weeks offering the option of increasing their membership to include AFSA benefits. The communication will be mailed via US mail to AASD Retired Members and will be sent to personal e-mail addresses of current AASD Affiliate Members.
On August 19, AASD, AFSA, and the San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council will hold a special AASD membership meeting to provide information about this new partnership and about how you can benefit from this new membership/affiliation. All AASD Members in Good Standing, Retired Members and Affiliate Members are invited to attend. The time and location of the meeting will be announced this summer. This is an important meeting to attend. Please mark your calendar now and plan on attending to help celebrate this new partnership and to learn more about the benefits provided to you as an AASD Member in Good Standing, by AFSA and Union Plus.
The AASD Board of Directors fully believes that there is strength and unity in numbers and that being a Local under AFSA is a positive move for our Union.
AFSA Benefits – See attachment
AASD Mission/Vision – See attachment
AASD Website: www.aasdcs.org
AFSA Website: https://www.theschoolleader.org/
San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council: https://unionyes.org/
- VEBA INSURANCE ELIGIBILITY AUDIT. Every five years, VEBA is required to perform an eligibility audit of members/retirees and dependents on the various insurance plans. AASD has been informed that this audit will be performed during the 2019-20 school year. Many of you have been through this audit before. The point of the audit is to ensure that only eligible dependents are on the plan. VEBA will have various platforms for you to provide the required documentation regarding dependents, including meetings throughout the district at various sites, as well as an online submission of proof process. Before the audit begins, please ensure that only eligible dependents are on the plan – particularly if you may have divorced since the last audit and your spouse/partner is no longer eligible for benefits. The District’s benefits department and/or VEBA will be in contact with additional information regarding the audit and timelines.
- AASD COMMITTEES – WE WANT YOU! Are you interested in getting more involved at AASD and serving on a committee? AASD has the following opportunities to serve and support! If you are interested in joining any of these committees, please e-mail AASD Executive Director, Donis Coronel, at email@example.com. It is a great way to get your foot in the door in becoming active with YOUR union! Please consider joining us on a committee!
AASD Professional Development Committee
(Typically meets each month, the 1st Wednesday of the month, 3:00-4:30 p.m. at the AASD office)
Co-Chairs: Kristin Makena (Program Specialist, Special Education) and Mario Garcia, (Supervisor, Special Education Translation Unit)
This committee plans and executes the annual AASD/SDUSD Spring Conference. In addition, the committee approves all requests for professional growth reimbursement ($100). The committee may also elect to plan other professional development activities throughout the year.
AASD Member Relations Committee
(Typically meets each month, the 1st Tuesday of the month, 3:30-5:00 p.m. at the AASD office)
Co-Chairs: Irene Hightower (Principal, Hancock Elementary) and Maria Moore-Flagg (Retired)
This committee has responsibility for the AASD Distinguished Leader Recognition Program, the Homework Kit Fundraiser, logistics for any membership meetings and for all aspects of the annual Summerfest and Winter Holiday events. This committee also plans other social/networking/collegial events and programs, including welcoming new AASD members.
AASD Finance Committee
(Meets in December, February, May and August/September each school year at the AASD office)
Chair: Peggy Zickert (AASD Secretary/Treasurer; Program Manager, Program Monitoring)
This committee has responsibility for reviewing the finances of the AASD organization. The committee also prepares the annual budget which is then sent to the Board of Directors for approval. Also, this committee reviews and manages the AASD investment account and makes recommendations regarding these funds.
AASD Scholarship Committee
(Typically meets the 4th Monday of the month, typically five times per year, 3:30-5:00 p.m. at the AASD office)
Co-Chairs: Veronica Ortega (Operations Specialist, Office of School Innovation) and Stacey Simpson (Vice Principal, Madison High)
This committee plans fundraisers to benefit the AASD Scholarship Fund, as well as solicits sponsors for the fundraising events. The committee is also responsible for the scholarship program, approving scholarships and presenting scholarships.
- MARK YOUR CALENDAR NOW for our 2019 Casino Night Fundraiser for the AASD Scholarship Program! October 4, 2019, 6:00 to 10:30 p.m. More information to come! All proceeds go to fund scholarships for the children of AASD Members in Good Standing. The Scholarship Committee hopes to raise enough money to be able to, again, improve the amount of the scholarship. The Scholarship Committee is co-chaired by Veronica Ortega and Stacey Simpson and supported by AASD Staff Donis Coronel and Jim Costello. The committee members are: Bridgette Brunetto, Anthony DeLuca, Troy Hickey, Marci Lammey, Erica Renfree, Jeff Sabins and Carmi Strom.
If you have a family member or friend who owns/works for a business that would like to be a sponsor for this fundraising effort, or donate a door prize, please share their contact information with Donis Coronel, Executive Director. We need the support of vendor/business partners to make this a successful event.
- DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE VEBA RESOURCE CENTER HEALTHY REBOOT? The VEBA Resource Center was designed to help VEBA members (employees, retirees and their dependents) manage their well-being through a wide range of programs and services. This is a free service for all VEBA members and childcare is provided upon request. Many AASD members have attended and the feedback has been very positive. Click here for more information and dates.
- IMPORTANT – NEW ELECTRONIC LINK AVAILABLE! FILL OUT YOUR AASD RECOMMITMENT FORM NOW! This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to Affiliate members or Retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the google form (link below). This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Some of you have already filled out the new membership form over the past few months – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again. If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member, please Click here .
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are finalized and posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail email@example.com or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via nbsp; personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. Regal tickets are now $9.00 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD by members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $17.25 each. There was a recent $0.35 price increase. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $20.50, which saves you $3.25 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. You can also give them the AASD office phone number (619-295-2118) for the discount. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.