AASD Weekly Update 09-05-2019
- AASD AFFILIATION WITH AFSA MAKES NATIONAL NEWS! See the EdWeek article about AASD’s affiliation with AFSA as Local 134! Click on the link below.
- RSVP NOW FOR OUR 2019 CASINO NIGHT FUNDRAISER FOR THE AASD SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM! October 4, 2019, 6:00 to 10:30 p.m. All proceeds go to fund scholarships for the children of AASD Members. The Scholarship Committee hopes to raise enough money to be able to, again, improve the amount of the scholarship. This event is open to anyone - bring a friend or family member (adults age 21+ only)! The Scholarship Committee is co-chaired by Veronica Ortega and Stacey Simpson and supported by AASD staff Donis Coronel and Jim Costello. The committee members are: Troy Hickey, Erica Renfree, Jeff Sabins, Shortie Smith and Carmi Strom. Click Here for detailed information and RSVP instructions. Payments by credit, debit or check will not be processed until October 1 !
If you have a family member or friend who owns/works for a business that would like to be a sponsor for this fundraising effort, or donate a door prize, please share their contact information with Donis Coronel, Executive Director. We need the support of vendor/business partners to make this a successful event.
- SCHOLASTIC AND SAN DIEGO COUNTY OF EDUCATION, BUILDING DIVERSE CLASSROOM LIBRARIES.
Click here to review the flyer and for registration information for an upcoming academic event.
- AFSA AFFILIATION.
For more information regarding AFSA and Union Plus benefits, please visit their website: https://www.theschoolleader.org/
IMPORTANT: For Members in Good Standing and Affiliate Members who have added AFSA -- If you have not turned in the “Combined AFSA Benefits Information Form,” which must be submitted in order to be eligible for the professional liability, legal services, etc., please submit the form immediately. You do not need to list social security numbers on the form. For a copy of the form, click here.
- AASD LOGO WEAR FOR SALE! AASD now has logo wear for sale! We are selling AASD polo shirts (men’s and women's) $25, AASD denim shirts (men’s and women’s) $25, AASD women’s V-neck T-shirts $17 and ball caps ($18). One dollar from each purchase goes to the AASD Scholarship Fund. Cash, check, debit or credit card accepted. If you would like to support AASD and proudly wear AASD logo wear, please contact the office and make a purchase! We can mail the item directly to you or you can stop by the office to see the selection. For some samples, see the below images:
- EMPOWER HOUR COLLEAGUES!
UPDATED! PLEASE READ THROUGH for many announcements!
Empower Hour 2019-20 is up and running! We have a year of wonderful opportunities planned! We hope you will take the time to join us for events that interest you. Empower Hour is a group for female leaders (both classified and certificated) in the San Diego education family. We welcome current leaders, aspiring leaders and retired leaders! The Mission of Empower Hour is “To encourage, support and inspire female educational leaders through various growth opportunities.” Empower Hour is in its’ 5th year! We started with three activities the first year and now have 37 offerings this year! Thank you for your support – we couldn’t do it without our wonderful participants. Please read through the information below and share the information with your female colleagues.
Attached is an UPDATED list of the events we have planned for 2019-20. Mark your calendar for events that look of interest to you. About four weeks prior to each event, an e-mail will arrive with more information about the event and RSVP information. Please – we need your help so we can plan accordingly – RSVP’s are required for our events and please cancel via Eventbrite if you find you cannot attend. We appreciate your help with this.
Empower Hour is made possible by the generosity of our vendor partners and their donations. For each event, we list the vendor partner(s) who make it possible. Please – consider talking to them about the product or service they offer. Without them, Empower Hour is not possible. We operate on vendor sponsorships and donations only.
Below are the upcoming September activities/events Empower Hour is offering:
September 10, 2019, 5:00-7:15 p.m. (at the AASD office, Mission Valley area)
Empowering Women Leaders!
Empower Yourself as a Leader! Current leader? Aspiring leader? Don’t miss this one! Empower Hour has pulled together an inspirational evening for you that will enhance your current leadership skills. Not only will we have an excellent presenter and expert – Fabiola Bagula, Executive Leadership Coach SDCOE -- we will have appetizers, beverages, door prizes and more! Wear your Empower Hour T-Shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy one at the event ($20) and get that extra ticket. Please arrive at 5:00 p.m. or by 5:30 p.m. at the latest (speaker begins at 5:30 p.m.). Avoid Interstate 8 east, if possible. Due to limited seating, we ask that you only sign up if you plan on attending. If you sign up and plans change, please cancel your reservation via Eventbrite or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sponsored by our Premiere Sponsor CALPRO Financial Network, ACSA Region 18, North Island Credit Union and the Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD).
September 18, 2019, 5:00-7:15 p.m. (at the AASD office, Mission Valley area)
How to Communicate With the Media and the Public
Our Empower Hour How to Communicate with the Media and the Public Workshop is being presented by an expert in this area. Music Watson is the current Chief of Staff at the San Diego County Office of Education and has worked in the field of Communications for many years. Come to a dynamic and useful presentation and learn from the best! Bring a colleague! Appetizers, beverages, door prizes and more! Wear your Empower Hour T-Shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy one at the event ($20) and get that extra ticket. Please arrive at 5:00 p.m. or by 5:30 p.m. at the latest (speaker begins at 5:30 p.m.). Avoid Interstate 8 east, if possible. Due to limited seating, we ask that you only sign up if you plan on attending. If you sign up and plans change, please cancel your reservation via Eventbrite or contact email@example.com.
Sponsored by our Premiere Sponsor CALPRO Financial Network, ACSA Region 18 and the Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD).
September 25, 2019, 5:00-8:00 p.m. (at the AASD office, Mission Valley area)
Empower Hour -- Banners by Sherry!
Banners by Sherry! is a fun event where participants will create a really cool Halloween banner for your home or office. Sample picture. It’s a great way to relax and have some fun. The cost is $32 per participant which includes all the materials to make a Halloween theme banner, as well as appetizers, beverages, door prizes and more! Wear your Empower Hour T-Shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy one at the event ($20) and get that extra ticket. Once you RSVP via Eventbrite, you will be e-mailed instructions on how to pre-pay for the event. RSVP and advance payment is required for this event.
Please arrive at 5:00 p.m. for appetizers and beverages or by 5:30 p.m. at the latest (class begins at 5:30 p.m.). Avoid Interstate 8 east, if possible.
Sponsored by our Premiere Sponsor CALPRO Financial Network, ACSA Region 18 and the Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD).
Your Empower Hour Planning Team hopes that you will continue to support our activities for the 2019-20 school year. Please invite and encourage other female leaders, aspiring leaders or retired leaders in the San Diego education family to attend. We operate on donations and sponsorships only. If you know of a vendor partner that may wish to sponsor an event, please have them contact Donis Coronel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your Empower Hour Planning Team members are: Becky Bravo (Sweetwater), Jennifer Carbuccia (Sweetwater), Dianne Cordero (Sweetwater), Donis Coronel (Planning Team coordinator/AASD), Heather Harris (San Diego Unified), Clorinda Haynes (San Diego Unified), Patti Karlin (SDCOE), Elizabeth Kramer (San Diego Unified) and Gretchen Murphy-Boykin (Poway)
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-Represented CERTIFICATED Job Postings
Principal, Montgomery Middle, Closes 9/10/19, Repost
Vice Principal, Lincoln High, Closes 9/10//19, Repost
Principal, Sunset View Elementary, Closes 9/10/19
Principal, Pacific Beach Elementary, Closes 9/10/19
Vice Principal, Clairemont High, Closes 9/10/19
Principal, Juarez Elementary, Closes 9/10/19
Principal, Ibarra Elementary, Closes 9/13/19
AASD-Represented CLASSIFIED Job Postings
Manager, Charter Schools, Closes 9/13/19
- DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE VEBA RESOURCE CENTER HEALTHY REBOOT? The VEBA Resource Center was designed to help VEBA members (employees, retirees and their dependents) manage their well-being through a wide range of programs and services. This is a free service for all VEBA members and childcare is provided upon request. Many AASD members have attended and the feedback has been very positive. Click here for more information and dates.
- IMPORTANT – NEW ELECTRONIC LINK AVAILABLE! FILL OUT YOUR AASD RECOMMITMENT FORM NOW! This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to Affiliate members or Retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the google form (link below). This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Some of you have already filled out the new membership form over the past year – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again. If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member, please Click here .
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail email@example.com with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at email@example.com.
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. Regal tickets are now $9.00 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD by members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $17.25 each. There was a recent $0.35 price increase. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $20.50, which saves you $3.25 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. You can also give them the AASD office phone number (619-295-2118) for the discount. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.