AASD Weekly Update 10-17-2019
- AASD REACHES TENTATIVE AGREEMENT WITH THE DISTRICT ON WAGES…..AND BARGAINS LONGEVITY PAY FOR ALL AASD MEMBERS WHO QUALIFY! On Wednesday, October 16, AASD reached a tentative agreement with the District on the reopener negotiations which included the Wage article and Appendix C of both the Classified and Certificated contracts. That agreement was also unanimously ratified at the AASD Board of Directors meeting yesterday. The Agreement will then go to the SDUSD Board of Education soon (date TBD) for ratification. The AASD Board of Directors is proud and pleased to announce the following agreement:
AASD Classified Contract
Click here for wage article and Click here for Appendix C tentative agreements. (See changes in bold and underlined)
Due to the fact that AASD previously negotiated “me-too” language which guaranteed our AASD members any across-the-board salary increases that any other unit might receive, our
classified members will automatically receive the 3.7% raise effective mid-year (January or February 2020).
4.04 An increase to the Stand-by Differential for Custodial Services Supervisors (CSSs) was negotiated, raising the differential, retroactive to July 1, 2019, from $3000 to $5000. This is in recognition of the fact that each of the CSSs are on stand-by duty one full week each month on a regular and continuing basis during off-work hours and must respond to requests for emergency site/plant operations services.
4.09 (for supervisors on the Supervisor I salary schedule) and 4.08 (for Managers on the Supervisor II salary schedule) After 10 years of attempting to bargain longevity pay for our classified
supervisors/managers, AASD is proud to announce that we have bargained a longevity stipend. An annual longevity stipend will be paid to all AASD members who have completed 22 years or more of service to SDUSD in a monthly position, as of June 30, 2020. The 22 years does not have to be an AASD represented position. Any monthly position with SDUSD. The amount of the longevity stipend will be 2.5% of the member’s annual base salary and will be paid each year on the September 30 pay warrant. The stipend will also count toward the annual income for the purposes of CalPERS/CalSTRS. This longevity stipend is something AASD has been working on bargaining for the entire time we have been a union!
AASD Certificated Contract
Click here for wage article and Click here for appendix C tentative agreements. (See changes in bold and underlined)
Due to the fact that AASD previously negotiated “me-too” language which guaranteed our AASD members any across-the-board salary increases that any other unit might receive, our certificated members will automatically receive the 3.7% raise effective mid-year (January or February 2020).
5.00 (for certificated managers on the Supervisor I salary schedule) and 11.00 for Site Administrators) After 10 years of attempting to bargain longevity pay for our certificated principals, Vice Principals and central office managers, AASD is proud to announce that we have bargained a longevity stipend. , An annual longevity stipend will be paid to all AASD members who have completed 22 years or more of service to SDUSD in a monthly position, as of June 30.2020. The 22 years does not have to be an AASD represented position. Any monthly position with SDUSD. The amount of the longevity stipend will be 2.5% of the member’s annual base salary and will be paid each year on the September 30 pay warrant. The stipend will also count toward the annual income for the purposes of CalSTRS/CalPERS. This longevity stipend is something AASD has been working on bargaining for the entire time we have been a union!
5.01 (Site Administrator School Classification Plan) When the “shared” vice principal positions were created last year, those who worked in a shared position and then moved this year into a single site vice principal position found that they lost pay by doing so. This is an “unintended consequence” of the shared position. AASD brought this issue to the bargaining table and negotiated language that ensures that the vice principal who works in a shared position and then moves to a single site position will not lose pay while they are in a single site position (however long that may be).
AASD attempted to bargain language addressing Extended School Year (ESY) and Summer School work for our certificated members. We were not able to negotiate any language into the contract but did receive assurances that as a result of AASD sharing concerns, the Superintendent/Chief of Staff have created a Task Force to work on Summer School/ESY issues. AASD has notified the District that our full contract bargaining is next year and that if the concerns/issues aren’t addressed we will bring back the proposals in full contract bargaining.
Thank you to the AASD Bargaining Teams for their hard work and dedication to our Union and Our Members!
Donis Coronel, Chief Negotiator, AASD Executive Director
Patti Burch, Official Notetaker, Retired
Bargaining Team – Certificated
Scott Thomason, Principal, CPMA Middle (Certificated Bargaining Chair)
Kristin Makena, Program Manager, Special Education Low Incidence
Jonathan McDade, Principal, Correia Middle
Alex Nguyen, Vice Principal, Marston Middle
Ernie Remillard, Principal, Mission Bay High
Lauren Robinson, Principal, Hawthorne Elem
Bargaining Team – Classified
Jesus Montana, Sergeant, School Police (Classified Bargaining Chair)
Bill Cheney, Food Services Area Supervisor, Morse Cluster
Bryan Ehm, Maintenance Planning Supervisor, PPO
Jim Felix, Transportation Budget Supervisor, Transportation
Brian Kenworthy, Operations Specialist, Charter School Office
Lumumba Mushonga, Supervising Rehab. Specialist, Mental Health Services
- OPEN ENROLLMENT 2020 IS HERE! The Open Enrollment period (to make benefits plan changes/add dependents, etc.) for 2020 is October 14 to November 8, 2019. Open Enrollment materials were sent out via the district’s Employee Benefits Department. Please pay attention to the materials to ensure you are well-informed about any plan changes and the addition of the new Journey Plan which offers a unique approach to health care. Detailed information about this new plan is provided at Open Enrollment meetings held by VEBA and the Employee Benefits Department, as well as in the materials you received.
In addition to the October 14 Annual Health Fair, Informational Meetings for Active Employees will be held:
Wednesday, October 23 Transportation Dept 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Monday, November 4 Education Center 2:00-5:00 p.m.
An informational meeting for retirees (and prospective retirees) will be held:
Thursday, October 24 SDEA Offices 2:00-5:00 p.m.
Remember, open enrollment is only once a year (including changes and renewal of flexible spending accounts). Please read through the materials you receive via Employee Benefits to ensure you are well-informed.
- ATTENTION CERTIFICATED AASD MEMBERS. As you probably know (unless you are new this year), AASD bargained a Certificated Workload Workgroup which has met the past two years with the District representatives to share, and attempt to resolve, workload issues. The work group will begin meeting in November. Workload concerns that are taken to the committee are compiled via information received on a Google form. We do not share word of mouth anecdotal information. Please report certificated AASD workload issues via the following Google doc.
Please report issues timely and be as concise as possible. This is NOT a confidential form. All forms are shared with the district. Therefore, if you do not want to be identified, then word your feedback in a way that it is concise and helpful, but does not identify you or your site.
The Certificated Workload Work Group AASD Representatives are:
Elementary Peg Crane, MC Patton and Carly Romero
K-8 Diana Sanchez
Middle Susan Levy
High School Listy Gillingham
Central Office Kristin Makena
Vice Principal Stacey Simpson and Brandon Lemmon
AASD Donis Coronel
EMPOWER HOUR ! UPDATED! PLEASE READ THROUGH!
The Mission of Empower Hour is “To encourage, support and inspire female educational leaders through various growth opportunities.” We welcome current leaders, aspiring leaders and retired leaders!
Attached is an UPDATED list of the events we have planned for 2019-20. Please – we need your help so we can plan accordingly – RSVP’s are required for our events, but please cancel via Eventbrite if you find you can not attend.
UPCOMING EMPOWER HOUR EVENTS! NEW EVENTS HAVE BEEN ADDED!
October 29, 2019, 5:00-7:15 p.m. (at the AASD office, Mission Valley area)
Bullet Proof Your Future and Personal Wealth. What Every Woman Should Know About Home Ownership and Real Estate Investments
Do you think you can’t afford to buy a home in San Diego or get involved in real estate investments? Come and learn! This is an educational workshop (not a sales presentation). After decades in public service, Denisse Roldán Newell was first introduced to a career in real estate as a way to balance her growing family's demands while continuing to serve her community. Five years later, she sits at the helm of the National Association of Hispanic Real Estate Professionals (NAHREP), San Diego Chapter, where she specializes in helping women, families, and individuals attain personal wealth through home ownership and real estate investments. In addition to her dedication to NAHREP, she is an avid supporter of MANA de San Diego, a nonprofit organization committed to developing and empowering first-generation Latina students in pursuing a university degree. She's a married mother of two amazing children who attend Lewis Middle School and Hearst Elementary School in SDUSD, and has a three rescue pets. She loves to cook, host gatherings, and travel in her spare time.
Appetizers, beverages, door prizes and more! Wear your Empower Hour T-Shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy one at the event ($20) and get that extra ticket. Please arrive at 5:00 p.m. or by 5:30 p.m. at the latest (speaker begins at 5:30 p.m.). Avoid Interstate 8 east, if possible. Due to limited seating, we ask that you only sign up if you plan on attending. If you sign up and plans change, please cancel your reservation via Eventbrite or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sponsored by Wells Fargo, Denisse Roldán Newell, ACSA Region 18 and the Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD).
November 8, 2019, 5:00-7:00 p.m. (at Revel Yoga, 555 Broadway, Chula Vista, 2nd story near Sears)
Want Less Stress? Try Deep Stretch/Gentle Yoga with Empower Hour Colleagues
Revel Yoga is the host for the evening! Join the ladies of Revel Yoga for a one hour deep stretch/gentle yoga class for beginners or those with yoga experience. Let's talk about the acute neurological and physical benefits of yoga and further discuss how it relates from educator/support staff to their students. After yoga, let's sip and socialize!! By attending this free class, participants will be entered to win a basket of yoga essentials and one month of Unlimited Membership at Revel Yoga.
What to bring:
* Yoga mat if you have one
* Wear comfortable workout clothes and shoes you can easily take off
* Water bottle
After one class you may experience:
* Lower Stress levels and less sciatic pain
* Deeper sleep that night
* Anxiety reduction
* Increased sense of physical balance
Who is Revel Yoga:
Revel Yoga is the only yoga studio in San Diego County that offers an "Educator" membership. Since the day Revel opened, the owners felt that offering this discount is crucial in living out our company's core value of "Celebrate Your Community.” Owners, Rocio and Vanessa know that in order to truly make a difference in their community, they have to lead their efforts with those on the front line - educators, administrators and support staff! One of the Revel Yoga owners comes from a long family line of educators in the Sweetwater Union High School District, so making sure they catered to the educational job family was a must! Revel Yoga is the only 100% woman owned yoga studio in the South Bay. No investors, no loans! Just two ladies with a passion for making an impact in the South Bay through yoga. Revel Yoga is the only minority woman owned yoga studio in San Diego County. Like you, we want to make an long lasting, positive impact with our future generations. Want to learn more? Checkout the website www.rvlyoga.com Space is limited, sign up now.
Sponsored by Revel Yoga, ACSA Region 18 and the Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD).
Click here to view the flyer.
November 14, 2019, 5:00-7:15 p.m. (at the AASD Office, Mission Valley)
Identity Theft – Don’t Become a Victim!
Identity Theft 101 – What are the current trends in ID Theft and what can you do to prevent becoming a victim? Come and learn – this topic affects us all. Randy Lawrence retired after 30 years in law enforcement. He was a Commander in the SD County District Attorney’s Office, Chief of Humane Law Enforcement for the SD Humane Society and most recently a Lieutenant at SDSU. Randy is a cyber-crimes expert and a trained computer forensic examiner. Specializing in identity theft, Randy has published multiple magazine articles and taught courses on the subject. He has also worked with the Internet Crimes Against Children Task force and worked on the CATCH (Computer and Technology Crime High Tech Response Team) task force, a multi-agency effort dedicated to investigating internet crimes and advanced technology. Randy currently works with the ID Theft Resource Center and is a part of their Speaker’s Bureau.
The event is 5:00 to 7:15 p.m. 4:30-5:00 p.m. will be networking, appetizers and beverages. The workshop will begin at 5:30 p.m. Please arrive by that time. Wear your Empower Hour shirt and get an extra door prize ticket.
Seating is limited so please only sign up if you intend to attend. If you need to cancel, please do so via Eventbrite.
Your Empower Hour Planning Team hopes that you will continue to support our activities for the 2019-20 school year. Please invite and encourage other female leaders, aspiring leaders or retired leaders in the San Diego education family to attend. We operate on donations and sponsorships only. If you know of a vendor partner that may wish to sponsor an event, please have them contact Donis Coronel at email@example.com.
Your Empower Hour Planning Team members are: Becky Bravo (Sweetwater), Jennifer Carbuccia (Sweetwater), Dianne Cordero (Sweetwater), Donis Coronel (Planning Team coordinator/AASD), Heather Harris (San Diego Unified), Clorinda Haynes (San Diego Unified), Patti Karlin (SDCOE), Elizabeth Kramer (San Diego Unified) and Gretchen Murphy-Boykin (Poway).
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
Dr. Jimmie Craig passed away on October 17. He was a long time administrator in SDUSD, including assignments as principal at Florence, Hardy, La Jolla and Lindbergh Elementary Schools, and 10 years as a Central Office administrator. He was the District representative in court for the Karlin case, which resulted in the complete plan for voluntarily desegregating the District. He designed and implemented the Magnet School, OCILE and VEEP programs. He mentored and inspired a generation of administrators in SDUSD, and personified intelligent leadership. He was remembered for his warm personality and ability to truly get the best out of people. He is survived by his wife and 4 children, including Linda, a Kindergarten teacher at Bethune K-8 and Don, a retired administrator in the district, as well as 11 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-Represented CERTIFICATED Job Postings
None at this time.
AASD-Represented CLASSIFIED Job Postings
Information Services Specialist, Closes 10/31
Manager, Human Resources, Closes 10/20
The members of the AASD Member Relations Committee have recently established a “Member Spotlight” section in the Weekly Update to introduce the amazing and diverse members of AASD.
The spotlight member is Jennifer Marrone, Business Manager, Food Services. To learn more about Jennifer and read her story, click here.&nbsnbsp;
- DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE VEBA RESOURCE CENTER HEALTHY REBOOT? The VEBA Resource Center was designed to help VEBA members (employees, retirees and their dependents) manage their well-being through a wide range of programs and services. This is a free service for all VEBA members and childcare is provided upon request. Many AASD members have attended and the feedback has been very positive. Click here for more information and dates.
- CSA MEMBERSHIP DRIVE: OCT 21 – DEC 13, 2019
The annual fall membership campaign for the Community Service Association, CSA, will be held from October 21 – December 13, 2019.
CSA is the district’s voluntary employee contribution club, a nonprofit association that is entirely District employee-directed and managed. Staff members contribute through a voluntary payroll deduction. CSA supports educational, health and human services, as well as the arts. Funds are collected throughout the school year and then disbursed through grant awards to charitable organizations in San Diego County, on behalf of district employees. (Or, CSA members may choose to designate a charity to directly receive their donation.)
Employees can become a member of CSA for as little as $1.00 a month (voluntary payroll deductions are made from September-June). Employees may use PeopleSoft to sign up or change contributions to CSA at any time. We invite you to visit our website at sandi.net/csa.
We will have classified, certificated, and administrator/supervisor vacancies on the CSA Board of Directors in January. The time commitment is minor – the Board meets for approximately an hour just five-seven times a year; and there are no other infringements on Board members’ time. If you (or someone you know) are interested in being a part of a decision-making body that supports those who serve the needy in our community, please send an email by November 10, 2019 to Barbara Asaro at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CERTIFICATED WORK CALENDARS FOR 2020-21 AND 2021-22 ARE FINALIZED! The work calendars below are finalized for AASD certificated members and will be posted soon on the district’s website. Thank you to Krista Conn, Christina Casillas and Jim Solo for representing the district on the work group. The AASD representatives were Donis Coronel, Juan Romo, Jeff Thomas and Reashon Villery – thank you for your service!
Please note, the 2021 Trad VP and Trad Elem/Mid Principal calendars have been corrected and are posted.
Work calendars for classified (including AASD represented Food Services) are being developed.
Click here for link to calendars.
- AASD CLASSIFIED MANAGERS AND SUPERVISORS. Here’s a great opportunity for new or seasoned managers and supervisors -- SkillPath is offering a very special one-day workshop on “Excelling as a Manager or Supervisor” right here in San Diego on either November 8 or December 18. Many of our SDUSD colleagues have attended workshops through SkillPath and have found them to be a great professional development opportunity. The cost is $99 per person (groups of 4 or more that register together are $89 each). Did you know that the AASD professional growth fund will refund up to $100 per person per year for the cost of attending a professional development activity? So if you sign up and attend this workshop and then submit the receipt and certificate of attendance, you will be reimbursed the $99 fee to attend, making it free for you to attend!
Link to information about the "Excelling as a Manager or Supervisor" workshop.
Click on the below link to for the professional growth reimbursement form:
- CALSTRS WORKSHOPS FOR NEW AND CURRENT CERTIFICATED MEMBERS. CALSTRS has published their Fall schedule of workshops for new CALSTRS members as well as current members who want to learn more about the retirement system or who are planning for retirement. These workshops are held here in San Diego at the Mission Valley office. Start planning for retirement now – be ahead of the curve!
Click here for list of events.
- AFSA AFFILIATION! AASD IS NOW LOCAL 134, AFL-CIO. AFSA is provided to all AASD Members in Good Standing for no additional cost. For more information regarding AFSA and Union Plus benefits, please visit their website: https://www.theschoolleader.org/
IMPORTANT: For Members in Good Standing and Affiliate Members who have added AFSA -- If you have not turned in the “Combined AFSA Benefits Information Form,” please submit the form immediately. This form must be submitted in order to be eligible for the professional liability, legal services, etc. You do not need to list social security numbers on the form. For a copy of the form, click here.
- AASD LOGO WEAR FOR SALE! AASD now has logo wear for sale! We are selling AASD polo shirts (men’s and women's) $25, AASD denim shirts (men’s and women’s) $25, AASD women’s V-neck T-shirts $17 and ball caps ($18). One dollar from each purchase goes to the AASD Scholarship Fund. Cash, check, debit or credit card accepted. If you would like to support AASD and proudly wear AASD logo wear, please contact the office and make a purchase! We can mail the item directly to you or you can stop by the office to see the selection. For some samples, see the images below.
- IMPORTANT – NEW ELECTRONIC LINK AVAILABLE! FILL OUT YOUR AASD RECOMMITMENT FORM NOW! This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to Affiliate members or Retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the google form (link below). This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Some of you have already filled out the new membership form over the past year – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again. If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member, please Click here .
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail email@example.com with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at email@example.com.
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. Regal tickets are now $9.00 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD by members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $17.25 each. There was a recent $0.35 price increase. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $20.50, which saves you $3.25 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. You can also give them the AASD office phone number (619-295-2118) for the discount. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.