AASD Weekly Update 11-21-2019
- THANKSGIVING MESSAGE FROM THE AASD BOARD OF DIRECTORS. As we get closer to the end of another year, we gratefully pause to wish you a warm and happy Thanksgiving. May the good things of life be yours in abundance, not only on Thanksgiving, but throughout the coming year. Thank you for your support and commitment to the students of San Diego Unified School District. On behalf of the AASD Board of Directors, we appreciate you deeply and wish you and your family and wonderful Thanksgiving.
The AASD office will be closed for the Thanksgiving Break from November 25-29, 2019. If you have an urgent matter during this time, please e-mail the AASD Executive Director, Donis Coronel, at firstname.lastname@example.org or text her at (619) 813-8792.
- AASD ENDORSES SDUSD SCHOOL BOARD CANDIDATES. AASD has served as a professional organization for over 70 years and has served our members as a labor union for 10 years. For the first time in the history of our association/union, the AASD Board of Directors voted on November 20 to endorse candidates for the San Diego Unified School District Board of Trustees.
AASD is endorsing Mr. Stephen Groce for the District A race. His experience from the National Assessment for Educational Progress (NAEP) at the United States Department of Education will assist San Diego Unified to ensure that district standards remain high and challenging so our students are prepared to succeed in today’s world. AASD looks forward to working with Mr. Groce and being an integral part of his innovative ideas to move San Diego Unified forward.
AASD is also endorsing Mr. Richard Barrera for the District D race and Dr. Sharon Whitehurst-Payne for the District E race. AASD has worked with Mr. Barrera and Dr. Whitehurst-Payne for several years and these two candidates share the same views as AASD, including the preservation of our members' welfare while demonstrating support for our student’s high educational standards. AASD looks forward to continuing to collaborate with both Mr. Barrera and Dr. Whitehurst-Payne.
- DEADLINE IS TOMORROW, FRIDAY NOVEMBER 22! SIGN UP NOW FOR AASD'S "UGLY HOLIDAY SWEATER/SHIRT" HOLIDAY PARTY – DECEMBER 6. Make your reservations NOW for the December AASD holiday party! All AASD Members in good standing, Affiliate members and Retired members are FREE! It’s a wonderful time to get together and celebrate the season! Get a table of 10 colleagues together and have a great time. Dinner, door prizes, photo booth, dancing and all around fun. Click here for more information and to sign up. If you want to sit with certain colleagues, send the information in with your RSVP or send an email to the AASD office with that information. Reservations and a deposit are required. The firm deadline to sign up is November 22! This deadline is enforced by Marina Village.
- AASD CERTIFICATED WORKLOAD WORK GROUP UPDATE. The AASD representatives on the Certificated Workload Work Group met on November 14 to review and discuss the feedback provided by AASD certificated members via the google doc feedback form. The following is a synopsis of the discussion:
SPSA. Many AASD members shared concerns about workload related to the SPSA and the timing of it. District representatives confirmed that the same information will be required next year, but committed to looking at the timing of the assignment to see if various parts could be accomplished during the summer time which would help with the impact of the assignment being right at the beginning of the school year.
Vice Principal Workload. Various issues were discussed including the inequity at the high school level where a small high school (example 900 students) has two Vice Principals and a large high school (example 2400 students) also only has two vice principals. There were also other various concerns shared. District representatives stated they would be looking at Vice Principal ratios during the SBB process, including high school, and that the addition of Instructional Coordinators may help.
Single Point of Contact – Finance Department. There were numerous feedback forms submitted about the new system in the Finance Department where staff must go through one, single point of contact rather than being able to contact their budget person directly. Concerns were shared that some of the newly hired resource teachers have a huge learning curve to overcome. The district representatives listened to the concerns and were hopeful that once all are up to speed, things will be more smooth.
Office of Language Acquisition (OLA). AASD representatives shared concerns about the reclassification process and the impact on workload. District representatives said they were well aware of the concerns and were working on clarifying the process and eliminating any confusion.
Special Education and Special Education Staffing. Feedback forms indicated a frustration and increase in administrator workload due to changes in the Early Childhood Education department and the enrollment process. District representatives were aware of this issue and stated they are working on the enrollment process so it is much more efficient for next year. There were also many concerns shared about lack of support for students with behavioral issues, lack of paraeducator staff, ratios, lack of consistency, lack of training, movement of paraeducators in September/October, continuing vacancies, data inconsistencies, etc. Per Chief of Staff Monreal, SPED Executive Director Ott and HR Chief Thede, they are working to align special education and general education and they are continuing to look at processes. In terms of hiring, Human Resources has tried many different innovative ideas to hire paraeducators and it is challenging. Neighboring districts such as Poway are also experiencing problems hiring special education paraeducators.
Scheduling of Projects and Assignments. AASD shared that members were frustrated because last year there was a calendar produced before school began with all projects and assignments which made it easier to plan. This year that calendar was not produced. Thede (HR) stated that is true, it was not produced due to other priorities. The district representatives will look at reviving this calendar.
QAO Office/Bullying Reports. Several members reported redundancy with investigations they do at their school site and then being asked to duplicate efforts just because the complainant doesn’t like the results. Also, there are still concerns that the work around the bullying reports in unnecessary and creates double work for the administrator.
FPC/School Site Modernization. Site administrators still share concerns about workload as it involves construction at the site. AASD would like there to be construction managers that handle most of the work around school site modernization so the administrator can focus on instruction in the classroom.
CSI Schools. Principals at schools designated as CSI are feeling the increase in workload due to being designed as CSI. (AASD will address this issue in bargaining in Spring 2020.)
There were various other workload issues discussed. The group will meet again in late February. We only discuss issues presented via the feedback form. Please continue to report workload issues via the google doc at:
AASD Workload Work Group Team:
Donis Coronel (AASD)
Peg Crane (Elementary)
Carly Romero (Elementary)
MC Patton (Elementary)
Susan Levy (Middle)
Listy Gillingham (High School)
Brandon Lemmon (VP)
Stacey Simpson (VP)
Kristin Makena (Central Office)
- EMPOWER HOUR! UPDATED WITH NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER EVENTS! PLEASE READ THROUGH AND SIGN UP NOW!
The Mission of Empower Hour is “To encourage, support and inspire female educational leaders through various growth opportunities.” We welcome current leaders, aspiring leaders and retired leaders!
Here is an UPDATED list of the events we have planned for 2019-20. Please – we need your help so we can plan accordingly. RSVP’s are required for our events. Please cancel via Eventbrite if you find you can not attend.
THIS WEEK WITH EMPOWER HOUR!
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE NOVEMBER 21 EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELED DUE TO A LOW NUMBER OF ATTENDEES. DON’T MISS OUT ON OUR DECEMBER EVENTS!
November 21, 2019, 5:00-7:00 p.m. (at the Junior Achievement Facility, Mission Valley)
Empower Hour Happy Hour
Come and join colleagues at the Junior Achievement facility in Mission Valley. This is a time to network and visit and just relax. We will have an inspirational speaker at 5:45 p.m. and some great appetizers and beverages. Come and enjoy, meet new people, and socialize with colleagues. It’s a wonderful opportunity!
The event is 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. Wear your Empower Hour shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. We have great door prizes to give away!
Seating is limited so please only sign up if you intend to attend. If you need to cancel, please do so via Eventbrite.
This event is sponsored by CALPRO Financial Network, Junior Achievement, ACSA Region 18 and AASD.
December 3, 2019, 5:00-8:00 p.m. (at the AASD office, Mission Valley area)
Empower Hour -- Dress for Success Part I
Our Empower Hour Dress for Success Part I is being held on December 3 from 5:00-8:00 p.m. Please come for a fun and informative evening focusing on fashion at work. Dr. Yolanda Rogers, Executive Leadership Coach at SDCOE and former Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources in Lemon Grove, will share with you the Do’s and Don’ts for dressing for success at work and also for interviewing .Then see fabulous workplace fashion, from dressy to casual, from Lindylou Reynold’s CAbi collection. This will be a great, fun evening! Bring a colleague!
NOTE: Empower Hour Dress for Success Part II will be held on January 14, 2020 and will include the opportunity to have a professional headshot taken that can be used for both personal and professional reasons.
Heavy appetizers and beverages, including wine and beer, are provided as well as door prizes. Wear your Empower Hour T-Shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or purchase a shirt at the event for $20 and get an extra prize ticket. For planning purposes, please only RSVP if you intend to attend. If plans change and you need to cancel, please can via Eventbrite or contact Donis Coronel email@example.com.
This event is sponsored by CALPRO Financial Network, North Island Credit Union, ACSA Region 18 and the Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD).
December 10, 2019, 5:00-7:30 p.m. (at the AASD office, Mission Valley area)
Empower Hour -- Banners by Sherry!
Don’t Miss Out! Banners by Sherry! is a fun event where participants will create a really cool Christmas banner for home, office and/or gift-giving. (To see attached sample pictures, click on the links; Banner 1 and Banner 2.) It’s a great way to relax and have some fun. The cost is $32 per participant which includes all the materials to make a Christmas theme banner, as well as appetizers, beverages, door prizes and more! Wear your Empower Hour T-Shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy one at the event ($20) and get that extra ticket. Once you RSVP via Eventbrite, you will be e-mailed instructions on how to pre-pay for the event. RSVP and pre-payment is required for this event. Please sign up by December 3.
Please arrive at 5:00 p.m. for appetizers and beverages or by 5:30 p.m. at the latest (class begins at 5:30 p.m.). Avoid Interstate 8 east, if possible.
Sponsored by our Premiere Sponsor CALPRO Financial Network, ACSA Region 18 and the Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD).
December 11, 2019, 5:00-7:15 p.m. (at the AASD office, Mission Valley area)
Empowered Women and Self Defense
This workshop will emphasize the aspects of self-defense pertaining to personal safety and strategy. Participants will contemplate the strategies they currently utilize to keep themselves safe from violent crime. They will be asked to make decisions and take actions to help further minimize situations that may bring harm to themselves and their families. Plan to bring a laptop, tablet or cell phone - which is adequately charged - to access and navigate websites. This is not a Bruce Lee session in martial arts, although we will have some fun! The instructor, Dr. Jolie Pickett, Principal, Garfield High School, San Diego Unified School District, formally taught self-defense workshops and TangSooDo karate for over 20 years.
RSVP required. There is limited seating. Please RSVP only if you can attend this event.
Appetizers, beverages and door prizes provided. Sponsored by CALPRO, ACSA Region 18 and AASD. Note: If possible, due to heavy traffic, avoid Interstate 8 East.
Please arrive at 5:00 p.m. for appetizers and beverages or by 5:30 p.m. at the latest as class begins at 5:30 p.m.
Your Empower Hour Planning Team hopes that you will continue to support our activities for the 2019-20 school year. Please invite and encourage other female leaders, aspiring leaders or retired leaders in the San Diego education family to attend. We operate on donations and sponsorships only. If you know of a vendor partner that may wish to sponsor an event, please have them contact Donis Coronel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your Empower Hour Planning Team members are: Becky Bravo (Sweetwater), Jennifer Carbuccia (Sweetwater), Dianne Cordero (Sweetwater), Donis Coronel (Planning Team coordinator/AASD), Heather Harris (San Diego Unified), Clorinda Haynes (San Diego Unified), Patti Karlin (SDCOE), Elizabeth Kramer (San Diego Unified) and Gretchen Murphy-Boykin (Poway).
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-Represented CERTIFICATED Job Postings
Instructional Coordinator (Logan-Memorial Educ. Complex) -- Closes 12/10/19
Vice Principal, Logan K-8 -- Closes 12/02/19
AASD-Represented CLASSIFIED Job Postings
Director, Assessment Services -- Closes 11/22/2019
Construction Management Supervisor -- Closes 12/02/19
The AASD Member Relations Committee recently established this section in the Weekly Update to introduce the amazing and diverse members of AASD.
The new spotlight member is Marco Samaniego, Special Education . To learn more about Marco read his story, click here.
- DID YOU KNOW? Did you know that when you are on a district site (school, central office) your cell phone connects to the district’s WiFi if you have WiFi turned on? Which means that your internet usage on your personal cell phone is then recorded through the District’s security system. Anything that appears inappropriate during work time on district property is then reviewed by Human Resources leadership and you are subject to being questioned about it. Yes, this is true! Now – if you are not spending work time on “inappropriate” or questionable websites, then this is not an issue. But if you elect to spend inordinate amounts of time during work time on social media, dating websites, eBay, etc., viewing inappropriate sites, you will likely be called to Human Resources for a discussion and/or disciplinary action. We all understand and know what “reasonable” usage is in this world of technology. We all understand and know what is clearly inappropriate or excessive. Don’t set yourself up for an embarrassing meeting in HR.
- AASD LOGO WEAR FOR SALE! AASD now has logo wear for sale! We are selling AASD polo shirts (men’s and women's) $25, AASD denim shirts (men’s and women’s) $25, AASD women’s V-neck T-shirts $17 and ball caps ($18). One dollar from each purchase goes to the AASD Scholarship Fund. Cash, check, debit or credit cards accepted. If you would like to support AASD and proudly wear AASD logo wear, please contact the office about making a purchase! We can mail the item directly to you or you can stop by the office to see the selection. For some samples, see the images below.
- DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE VEBA RESOURCE CENTER HEALTHY REBOOT? The VEBA Resource Center was designed to help VEBA members (employees, retirees and their dependents) manage their well-being through a wide range of programs and services. This is a free service for all VEBA members and childcare is provided upon request. Many AASD members have attended and the feedback has been very positive. Click here for more information and dates.
- CSA MEMBERSHIP DRIVE: NOW THROUGH DECEMBER 13, 2019
The annual Fall membership campaign for the Community Service Association, CSA, will be held from October 21 – December 13, 2019.
CSA is the district’s voluntary employee contribution club, a nonprofit association that is entirely District employee-directed and managed. Staff members contribute through a voluntary payroll deduction. CSA supports educational, health and human services, as well as the arts. Funds are collected throughout the school year and then disbursed through grant awards to charitable organizations in San Diego County, on behalf of district employees. (Or, CSA members may choose to designate a charity to directly receive their donation.)
Employees can become a member of CSA for as little as $1.00 a month (voluntary payroll deductions are made from September-June). Employees may use PeopleSoft to sign up or change contributions to CSA at any time. We invite you to visit our website at sandi.net/csa.
We will have classified, certificated, and administrator/supervisor vacancies on the CSA Board of Directors in January 2020. The time commitment is minimal – the Board meets for approximately an hour just five to seven times a year; and there are no other infringements on Board members’ time. If you (or someone you know) are interested in being a part of a decision-making body that supports those who serve the needy in our community, please send an email by November 10, 2019 to Barbara Asaro at email@example.com.
- CALSTRS WORKSHOPS FOR NEW AND CURRENT CERTIFICATED MEMBERS. CALSTRS has published their Fall schedule of workshops for new CALSTRS members as well as current members who want to learn more about the retirement system or who are planning for retirement. These workshops are held here in San Diego at the Mission Valley office. Start planning for retirement now – be ahead of the curve!
Click here for list of events.
- AFSA AFFILIATION! AASD IS NOW LOCAL 134, AFL-CIO. AFSA membership is provided to all AASD Members in Good Standing for no additional cost. For more information regarding AFSA and Union Plus benefits, please visit their website: https://www.theschoolleader.org/
IMPORTANT: For Members in Good Standing and Affiliate Members who have added AFSA -- If you have not turned in the “Combined AFSA Benefits Information Form,” please submit the form immediately. This form must be submitted in order to be eligible for the professional liability, legal services, etc. You do not need to list your full social security number on the form; however, AFSA has requested that you provide at least the last four digits. For a copy of the form, click here.
- IMPORTANT – NEW ELECTRONIC LINK AVAILABLE! FILL OUT YOUR AASD MEMBERSHIP RECOMMITMENT FORM NOW! This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to Affiliate members or Retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the google form (link below). This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Some of you have already filled out the new membership form over the past year – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again. If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member, please Click here .
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce our partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail email@example.com or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
NEW Benefit Hub Service - Gift Card Outlet - Save up to 10% on gift cards from over 70 popular merchants. The NEW Gift Card Outlet is in the Discount Marketplace.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. Regal tickets are now $9.00 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD by members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $17.25 each, and they have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $20.50, which saves you $3.25 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. You can also give them the AASD office phone number (619-295-2118) for the discount. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.