AASD Weekly Update 1-16-2020
- HOLD THE DATE – MANDATORY ATTENDANCE FOR ALL AASD-REPRESENTED MEMBERS. The annual AASD/SDUSD Spring Conference is coming up on March 24, 2020. Doors open at 7:00 a.m. – please arrive by 7:30 a.m. to enjoy breakfast. This year’s theme is Wellness: A Better You, A Better Workplace. We have a great lineup of presenters! More information is forthcoming, but mark your calendars now for this mandatory event. Location is the Scottish Rite Event Center in Mission Valley. In addition to the event being mandatory for all AASD Members in Good Standing, we want to remind you that Retired Members, Non-Represented Management and Confidential employees are invited to attend.
- AFSA SCHOLARSHIPS !!
Have your child apply for the Diann Woodard AFSA Scholarship Program, which is open to children of AFSA members in good standing. The application for the 2020 scholarship is now available. The deadline for submission is March 27, 2020.
Each year AFSA provides 5 outstanding students a one time $2,500 award toward college tuition.
All applicants must be a graduating high school senior who will be attending college for the first time in the award year.
The program is designed to support students who express a strong commitment to pursuing education beyond secondary school.
Students who apply must clearly express their goals for the future and appropriately tie these goals to their higher education aspirations.
= Applicant must be a graduating high school senior who is attending college for the first time in the award year.
= Applicant’s parent or legal guardian must be an AFSA member in good standing.
= Scholarship Award check will be issued upon college enrollment verification.
= Scholarship Award funds may only be used for tuition, books, fees, supplies and equipment.
= Application must be completely filled out and postmarked no later than March 27, 2020.
Download the application here.
- ELEMENTARY PRINCIPALS/VICE PRINCIPALS -- Do You Need T-K and Kinder Student Scissors?
In 2014, VAPA kindly donated their supply of T-K and Kinder beginner scissors to the AASD Homework Supply Toolkit Program. Each school year, through this Program, AASD included the scissors with additional homework tools and distributed kits to T-K and Kinder students at selected SDUSD sites.
We are no longer able to store the LARGE current supply of scissors at the Physical Plant Operations (PPO) Warehouse. The scissors are District property. AASD has decided to distribute these scissors to our students at requesting sites ON A FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED BASIS.
To request scissors for your T-K and/or Kinder students at no cost PLEASE COMPLETE THE GOOGLE FORM BY CLICKING THE LINK BELOW. You will be contacted in the order your request is received and provided with additional details. The scissors will be distributed until the supply is exhausted. FYI, THERE IS A LARGE SUPPLY OF THESE SCISSORS, SO WE EXPECT TO BE ABLE TO SERVE MANY OF THE REQUESTING SCHOOLS.
SO THAT AASD CAN EXPEDITE DISTRIBUTION OF THE SCISSORS, PLEASE COMPLETE THE REQUEST BY JANUARY 31, 2020.
LINK TO GOOGLE FORM:
- AASD CERTIFICATED WORKLOAD WORK GROUP.
The certificated workload work group will meet again in late February. We only discuss issues presented via the feedback form. Please continue to report workload issues via the google doc at:
AASD Workload Work Group Team:
Donis Coronel (AASD)
Peg Crane (Elementary)
Carly Romero (Elementary)
MC Patton (Elementary)
Susan Levy (Middle)
Listy Gillingham (High School)
Brandon Lemmon (VP)
Stacey Simpson (VP)
Kristin Makena (Central Office)
- START THE NEW YEAR OFF WITH EMPOWER HOUR!
Dear Empower Hour Colleagues -- Please read through this e-mail for our upcoming events/offerings! A NEW EVENT HAS BEEN LISTED! Click here for an event listing for 2019-2020.
The Mission of Empower Hour is “To encourage, support and inspire female educational leaders through various growth opportunities.” We welcome current leaders, aspiring leaders and retired leaders! Please come and bring a colleague/friend.
January 28, 2020, 5:00-7:15 p.m. (at the AASD office, Mission Valley area)
How to Keep Your Job-Related Creativity Juices Alive Workshop
What a great way to start 2020! Keeping your creative juices flowing in the workplace is a workshop that will focus on controlling stress and preventing burn-out and keeping those creative juices flowing. It will loosely be based on the Myers-Briggs but will offer much more. Join us to learn about re-charging your mental battery. When stress gives you butterflies, you will never get rid of them, but you can teach them to fly in formation. Come and learn from our presenter Gayle Olson-Binder who worked in public education for 37 years and wrote a book on burn-out prevention. She has also been an instructor of this topic for the Cal State Fullerton adjunct department.
Appetizers, beverages, door prizes and more! Wear your Empower Hour T-Shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy one at the event ($20) and get that extra ticket. Please arrive at 5:00 p.m. or by 5:30 p.m. at the latest (presentation begins at 5:30 p.m.). Avoid Interstate 8 east, if possible. Due to limited seating, we ask that you only sign up if you plan on attending. If you sign up and plans change, please cancel your reservation via Eventbrite or contact email@example.com.
Sponsored by our Premiere Sponsor CALPRO Financial Network, ACSA Region 18 and the Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD).
RSVP at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/how-to-keep-your-job-related-creativity-juices-alive-workshop-tickets-86935128309
February 11, 2020, 5:00-8:00 p.m. (at the AASD office, Mission Valley area)
Pined and Painted (formerly Sip Wine N’ Sign) (DEADLINE TO SIGN UP IS FEBRUARY 2!)
This is a fun night of networking and making something really cool! See attached photo from previous event. Not only will you get appetizers, beverages (beer, wine, sodas), you will go home with a really cool sign (or signs) of your choice for your home, office or as a gift! There are options of different size signs (one large; two small; etc.). This is our 7th time offering this event and it’s been so much fun!
Appetizers and beverages provided by the sponsors. Wear your Empower Hour T-shirt and get an extra door prize ticket. Or buy an Empower Hour shirt at the event and get an extra ticket!
There is a cost per person of approximately $40-$55 depending on which sign/size is selected (plus a minimal online service fee) which covers the cost of all the supplies to make the sign. The fee is paid at the time of sign up via the link below. You will also choose your sign(s) and the size of the sign at the same time . There is also an option of selecting two smaller signs for the same price as one larger one. See the attached for a photo of a previous event and the February 11 sign choices. This will help to review prior to signing up via the link. Deadline to sign up is February 2.
This event is sponsored by CALPRO, ACSA Region 18 and AASD.
RSVP required and seating is limited. If you would like to bring a friend, family member, etc. please feel free to sign them up! First come, first served!
Your Empower Hour Planning Team hopes that you will continue to support our activities for the 2019-20 school year. Please invite and encourage other female leaders, aspiring leaders or retired leaders in the San Diego education family to attend. We operate on donations and sponsorships only. If you know of a vendor partner that may wish to sponsor an event, please have them contact Donis Coronel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your Empower Hour Planning Team members are: Becky Bravo (Sweetwater), Jennifer Carbuccia (Sweetwater), Dianne Cordero (Sweetwater), Donis Coronel (Planning Team coordinator/AASD), Heather Harris (San Diego Unified), Clorinda Haynes (San Diego Unified), Patti Karlin (SDCOE), Elizabeth Kramer (San Diego Unified) and Gretchen Murphy-Boykin (Poway)
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-Represented CERTIFICATED Job Postings
None at this time.
AASD-Represented CLASSIFIED Job Postings
School Site Operations Specialist, Logan Memorial, Closes 1/19/20
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
AASD is sad to inform that Venancio Morga, father of of Francisco Morga, Principal of Jefferson IB TEAM Magnet School, has passed away at the age of 79 years old. He passed away on December 24th and his funeral and services were held on January 4th in Lancaster, California.
The AASD Member Relations Committee recently established this section in the Weekly Update to introduce the amazing and diverse members of AASD.
The new spotlight member is Ron Rode, Director of Research and Evaluation. To learn more about Ron read his story, click here.
- AASD LOGO WEAR FOR SALE! AASD has logo wear for sale! We are selling AASD polo shirts (men’s and women's) $25, AASD denim shirts (men’s and women’s) $25, AASD women’s V-neck T-shirts $17 and ball caps ($18). One dollar from each purchase goes to the AASD Scholarship Fund. Cash, check, debit or credit cards accepted. If you would like to support AASD and proudly wear AASD logo wear, please contact the office about making a purchase! We can mail the item directly to you or you can stop by the office to see the selection. For some samples, see the images below.
- CALSTRS WORKSHOPS FOR NEW AND CURRENT CERTIFICATED MEMBERS. CALSTRS has published their Winter schedule of workshops for new CALSTRS members as well as current members who want to learn more about the retirement system or who are planning for retirement. These workshops are held in San Diego at the Mission Valley office. Start planning for retirement now – be ahead of the curve!
Click here for list of events.
- UNION PLUS - MONEY SAVING PROGRAMS FOR AFSA MEMBERS!
For all our Members in Good Standing, and Affiliates and Retirees who have selected to be members of AFSA, there are many money-saving programs offered to you. Click here to review your many options!
AFSA membership is provided to all AASD Members in Good Standing at no additional cost. For more information regarding AFSA and Union Plus benefits, please visit their website: https://www.theschoolleader.org/
IMPORTANT: For Members in Good Standing and Affiliate Members who have added AFSA -- If you have not turned in the “Combined AFSA Benefits Information Form,” please submit the form immediately. This form must be submitted in order to be eligible for the professional liability, legal services, etc. You do not need to list your full social security number on the form; however, AFSA has requested that you provide at least the last four digits. For a copy of the form, click here
- AMERICAN FIDELITY - An additional benefit for AASD members is an opportunity to purchase disability, cancer, life and other insurance products through American Fidelity. For additional insurance information, members can contact American Fidelity directly at (800) 365-9180. There are two representatives that work with AASD members.
800-365-9180 ext. 217
800-365-9180 ext. 415
- IMPORTANT – ELECTRONIC LINK AVAILABLE! FILL OUT YOUR AASD MEMBERSHIP RECOMMITMENT FORM NOW! This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to Affiliate members or Retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the google form (link below). This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Some of you have already filled out the new membership form over the past year – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again. If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member, please Click here .
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- AASD WEBSITE! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail email@example.com with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD has a partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at email@example.com.
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
The Benefits Portal - In addition to discounts and specials, BenefitHub also offers CASH BACK on some products and services! Get to know the benefit portal by visiting the BenefitHub website. The site is very user friendly. It is easy to do a search under various headings and categories, including Newest, Most Popular, Local Deals, Health and Wellness and Pay Over Time, just to name a few.
NEW Benefit Hub Service - Gift Card Outlet - Save up to 15% on gift cards from over 70 popular merchants. The NEW Gift Card Outlet is in the Discount Marketplace.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. Regal tickets are now $9.00 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD by members in good standing, affiliate and retired members. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $17.25 each, and they have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $20.50, which saves you $3.25 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. You can also give them the AASD office phone number (619-295-2118) for the discount. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.