DAILY UPDATE #44 -- 5/15/2020
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE
AASD will be sending out a Daily Update, Monday-Friday, throughout the school closure period. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with the typical news and information for AASD members. The AASD Office will remain closed during the period of time the schools/district are closed. AASD staff will be working remotely and can be reached at the contact information at the end of this Update.
AASD has created a Google Form for AASD Members to report issues, questions or concerns regarding work-related issues and the COVID-19 virus. Any issues, questions or concerns submitted via the Google form will be shared daily with the District. AASD will then share the answers to issues, questions or concerns submitted as those answers are received from the district. You may also share your gratitude for another AASD member, district personnel, etc. via the same link.
The link to share issues/questions/concerns/gratitude is:
Please do not share this link outside of AASD membership (classified and certificated management/supervisors). The link will be active until this crisis is over. PLEASE CHECK THE DISTRICT’S WEBSITE TO ENSURE YOUR ISSUE/QUESTION/ CONCERN HAS NOT ALREADY BEEN ADDRESSED THERE.
NOTE: All previous AASD Daily Updates and Weekly Updates are located on the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org if you need to refer back to them for information.
- Q and A (Friday, May 15, 2020) (Questions were submitted by AASD members; the answers are from the District. AASD publishes the answers as they are received from the District.)
Q -- With the additional dates principals and others are now being instructed to be on campus such as days for 5th, 8th and/or 12th grade students (and assuming other days for remaining students to pick up personal materials) will we be paid the hazard pay for all of those additional days too?
A -- (Answer provided by AASD) The MOU that AASD negotiated provides for hazard pay (time and a half) for ANY time AASD members are required to report to a physical location to work. So, yes, hazard pay will be paid for these trips to campus. The MOU is in place until June 30, 2020 with the option of renewing if both parties agree.
Q -- The governor mentioned a 10% pay cut for all state employees. We have been told that San Diego Unified and its employment is considered state employment. Are we as employees subjected to this pay cut and furloughs as mentioned on the governors recent address? If so will these pay cuts be permanent?? Will it affect our benefits? If furloughs are eminent, how will that affect CalPERS service credits?
A – (Answer provided by AASD) While these are very important questions, at this time we have no answers. The District is required to negotiate these type of issues with the District. As soon as information is available, AASD will inform our membership.
- SPECIAL GRATITUDE
If an AASD member has a department or individual that deserves special recognition during this time of crisis, please use the link above for reporting issues/questions/ concerns/gratitude to show your gratitude for the department or individual. AASD will publish that special thanks in our next Daily Update.
From Stacey Seiders - “I want to thank Jeff Thomas, School Site Operations Specialist, CCTE, for all of his help and support and for always making the impossible, possible. Thank you so much!”
- DISTRICT COMMUNICATIONS
The District provided the information below on May 14:
- Printed materials are distributed at Food Distribution sites daily for the month of May.
- The team is working on restocking and reprinting the materials as needed and there may be a delay.
- Lists of students who have picked up materials are currently being processed and will be sent to principals as soon as they are completed.
VICE PRINCIPAL LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
- Thank you VPs who have responded to the summer school/ESY survey.
- If you are interested in managing one of the Summer Programs, please complete this form by May 15th.
- If you have been selected for an assignment, candidates will be contacted no later than May 19th.
NOTIFICATION OF POSITIVE COVID-19 CASES
- Principals do not have to share with us COVID-19 positive cases for students or families, given the fact that we have been closed for so long.
- If any principal has questions/concerns about this or becomes aware that any of their parents are COVID-19 positive, they could reach out to Susan Barndollar, Interim Program Manager for Nursing and Wellness to receive further guidance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This is the document shared with Graduation Recommendations at the Secondary Operations Meeting on May 14.
- OTHER NEWS
With Grim Projections In Revised State Budget, Local School Officials Call For Federal Help (KPBS, May 15)
Back-to-school could be delayed by California budget cuts (SD Union Tribune, May 14)
Protecting Kids During the Rise of Online Learning (Voice of San Diego, May 14)
Photos: This Is What Educators' COVID-19 'Classrooms' Look Like (including a Morse High teacher) (Ed Surge, May 13)
- DISTRICT WEBSITE
For your convenience, the District has created a list of Frequently Asked Questions. To access that list, click the link https://sites.google.com/sandi.net/covid19/staff-info
- AASD CONTACT INFORMATION DURING THE DISTRICT CLOSURE
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- email@example.com 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- email@example.com
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.