DAILY UPDATE #49 -- 5/26/2020
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE
AASD will be sending out a Daily Update, Monday-Friday, throughout the school closure period. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with the typical news and information for AASD members. The AASD Office will remain closed during the period of time the schools/district are closed. AASD staff will be working remotely and can be reached at the contact information at the end of this Update.
AASD has created a Google Form for AASD Members to report issues, questions or concerns regarding work-related issues and the COVID-19 virus. Any issues, questions or concerns submitted via the Google form will be shared daily with the District. AASD will then share the answers to issues, questions or concerns submitted as those answers are received from the district. You may also share your gratitude for another AASD member, district personnel, etc. via the same link.
The link to share issues/questions/concerns/gratitude is:
Please do not share this link outside of AASD membership (classified and certificated management/supervisors). The link will be active until this crisis is over. PLEASE CHECK THE DISTRICT’S WEBSITE TO ENSURE YOUR ISSUE/QUESTION/ CONCERN HAS NOT ALREADY BEEN ADDRESSED THERE.
NOTE: All previous AASD Daily Updates and Weekly Updates are located on the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org if you need to refer back to them for information.
- Q and A (Tuesday, May 26, 2020) (Questions were submitted by AASD members; the answers are from the District. AASD publishes the answers as they are received from the District.)
Please see the following revised response to a question from last week:
Q -- At the Secondary Ops meeting we were informed that PPE (specifically we need gloves) would be provided for textbook return. Who do we contact to make sure we have these items by next week?
A – (Answer provided by the District) Those items will be provided by the District when we prepare for the dates. You would work with your POS/BSS to obtain the items for the site. (Additional information provided by PPO) The BSS/POS is advised to contact their Custodial Services Supervisor (CSS) if PPE is needed at the site.
- SPECIAL GRATITUDE
If an AASD member has a department or individual that deserves special recognition during this time of crisis, please use the link above for reporting issues/questions/ concerns/gratitude to show your gratitude for the department or individual. AASD will publish that special thanks in our next Daily Update.
A message of Gratitude from a Member in Good Standing to the AASD Staff -- “Please pass along the word that these daily updates are incredibly useful. While actions are not always a given to the questions asked by administrators, the ability in real time for executive leadership to gain feedback is needed. My hope is that such a vehicle of communication and expectations for an answer can continue post distance learning. In many ways it has given administrators a louder voice. Great work!” -Jeff Olivero, Principal, University City High School
- DISTRICT COMMUNICATIONS
The following was sent on May 21 to Principals:
ADDITIONAL END-OF-YEAR PROCEDURES - Revisions and Clarifications
- We apologize for the confusion with the return of instruments:
- 4th and 5th graders should return their instruments on designated days.
- Secondary students who want to keep their instruments over the summer can do so with approval from their teacher.
- Yearbook sales and fine payment information have also been updated. Sites should continue to use their regular, approved process for sales transactions. Contracting with outside services such as Venmo, Square, or other credit card vendors is not permitted.
- Seniors who have existing fines can pay those fines during diploma distribution; however, sites do not need to process all current textbook returns in order to issue new fines. Underclassmen fines will carry over into next year.
2020-21 ANNUAL INSTRUCTIONAL MINUTES
- Administrative Circular 220: 2020-21 Annual Instructional Minutes deadline is temporarily suspended. Following the June 16, 2020 School Reopening Board Workshop, the deadline for submitting instructional minutes will be issued. If you have already submitted your school’s instructional minutes, you will have the opportunity to revise and resubmit based on the latest information available.
Master Schedule and Bell Schedule
- On June 16th, the Board of Education will have a Board Workshop focused on Reopening Schools. Schools should suspend the development of their master schedules until we have more information and guidance on how we can safely reopen for the 2020-21 school year. We understand that building your master schedule is extremely time consuming and requires the support of teachers, counselors and classified staff members who are off calendar in the summer months. We will take that into consideration as we determine next steps.
- June site access day for end-of-year clean up.
- OTHER NEWS
California school districts concerned about state funding (10 News, May 22)
Too Expensive to Re-Open Schools? Some Superintendents Say It Is (Ed Week, May 21)
CDC Recommends One Student Per School Bus Seat, Skipping Rows (School Transportation News, May 22)
California districts could pursue teacher layoffs if new state budget cuts K-12 funding (EdSource, May 22)
- DISTRICT WEBSITE
For your convenience, the District has created a list of Frequently Asked Questions. To access that list, click the link https://sites.google.com/sandi.net/covid19/staff-info
- AASD CONTACT INFORMATION DURING THE DISTRICT CLOSURE
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- email@example.com 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.