AASD Weekly Update 5-28-2020
- AASD SCHOLARSHIPS AWARDED TO THE FOLLOWING GRADUATING SENIORS (CHILDREN/STEPCHILDREN OF OUR MEMBERS). Congratulations to the following graduating seniors who have each been awarded a $750 scholarship from AASD. Well-deserved and we wish these young adults all the best in their endeavors! And good job, parents! The AASD scholarships are funded by membership dues from our retired members and fundraising by the AASD Scholarship Committee, which is co-chaired by Veronica Ortega and Sharon Rubalcava. Scholarship Committee members are: Troy Hickey, Jeff Sabins, Shortie Smith and Carmi Strom, and the committee is supported by AASD Staff Members Donis Coronel, Jim Costello and Linda Crout-Hamel.
$750 Scholarship Recipients for 2019-20:
Leeanna Barreto, Eastlake High
Plans to attend Southwestern College
Daughter of Jesus Montana, Sergeant, School Police
Sarah Darley, Granite Hills High
Plans to attend California Baptist University
Daughter of Dean Darley, Program Manager, CCTE
Carlos Elizondo, Mission Bay High
Plans to attend UC Santa Cruz
Son of Steve Elizondo, Principal, Golden Hill Elementary
Sophia Jimenez, University City High
Plans to attend San Francisco State University
Daughter of Michelle Jimenez, Project Manager, DWA
Aaron Luna, School of Creative and Performing Arts (SCPA)
Plans to attend Mesa College
Son of Jeff Luna, Vice Principal, Muirlands Middle
Eva Schultz, San Diego High International Studies
Plans to attend UC Berkeley
Daughter of Marisol Marin, DIrector-Prof Dev, Admin Support
Kristin Williams, Grossmont High
Plans to attend San Diego State University
Daughter of Tracy Williams, Retired AASD Member
- AASD MEMBERS HELPING AASD MEMBERS. AASD Member in Good Standing, Matt Jordan, BSS III at Marshall Middle School lost his home in Mira Mesa in a house fire yesterday. Matt is loved by the staff at Marshall Middle and a Go Fund Me campaign has been set up to help Matt and his family. If you are interested in helping a fellow AASD member, the link to donate is below. AASD is sending positive thoughts to Matt and his family during this difficult time.
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE - The AASD office remains closed, in conjunction with the San Diego Unified school closures, until further notice. The Daily Update will continue through the closure to answer any questions and address any of your concerns with regard to school closures and COVID-19 updates. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with the typical news and information for AASD members.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-Represented CERTIFICATED Job Postings
Instructional Coordinator, Closes 6/05
Program Manager, Health and Wellness, Closes 5/28
AASD-Represented CLASSIFIED Job Postings
Building Services Supervisor III, Closes 5/31
Risk Management Claims Supervisor, Closes 6/5
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
- AASD DISTINGUISHED LEADER AWARDS. Each year, AASD honors a number of members as AASD Distinguished Leaders. Please consider nominating a colleague for this award. We have wonderful co-workers throughout our AASD bargaining unit and in our retiree ranks who are worthy of recognition. The AASD Member Relations Committee is hopeful that you will take the time to nominate someone who goes "Above and Beyond!" You can nominate a co-worker from any category.
The following link will lead you to the nomination form. Click below for the link to the form and criteria. Please note the due date for nominations was extended to June 30.
- MORTGAGE INFORMATION FROM UNION PLUS (ALL AASD MEMBERS IN GOOD STANDING ARE AUTOMATICALLY MEMBERS OF UNION PLUS)
You deserve a mortgage that protects your family. Union Plus would like to get you one. Union Plus Mortgage Company is union-owned – and they know what you need when a crisis hits. Union Plus mortgages are specially designed to protect union families with special hardship assistance in case of disability, layoff, lock out or other eligible income loss. If you are ready to buy a home, let Union Plus help you get the mortgage you deserve. Call 855 UNION 70 (855-864-6670) and talk to an experienced loan officer.
YES, I WANT A MORTGAGE THAT PROTECTS MY FAMILY
- NEED A CAR NOW? GET BIG UNION SAVINGS THIS MEMORIAL DAY
Shop from Home and Save an Average of $3,342 off MSRP this Memorial Day. Ready to take advantage of Memorial Day car and truck deals, but not quite ready to start your search in person? We’ve got you covered.
Shop, save and handle all aspects of your vehicle purchase from home:
Browse & Buy from Home: Research new and used cars online and look for the “Buy from Home” badge to see which dealerships offer remote paperwork and vehicle delivery right to your door (well, driveway, actually).
Big Union Savings: BIG — as in save an average of $3,342 off MSRP — BIG.
Want more union perks? How about: Up-front pricing on over 1 million pre-owned cars and trucks.
See your car's market value and get a cash offer from a local dealer in minutes.
$100 rebate on new union-made cars.
Up to $2,000 in Auto Repair and Auto Deductible Reimbursements.
Be on the lookout for special financing options:
Many car manufacturers, including Chevrolet, Ford and Fiat Chrysler are offering special 0% APR financing for up to 84 months on select vehicles and offering incentives in the form of deferred payment options. SEARCH VEHICLES
- FROM RANCH EVENTS – DINNERS THAT FEED UP TO 6 PEOPLE FOR $25
Tired of cooking? As many of you know, all of the AASD events at Marina Village and Scottish Rite Center are catered by Ranch Events. They make and serve delicious meals! Ranch Events has opened their kitchen at the Scottish Rite Event Center (in Mission Valley) for “take out” meals that feed up to 4-5 adults and 1-2 children for $25! Such a deal. And delicious, home style cooked meals. The website is below; meals can be ordered in advance or the order can be placed on the same day, as long as it is placed by 12 noon that day. Pick up times are 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM each day at the Scottish Rite Event Center in Mission Valley. In addition, Ranch Events has just added a family meal pick up during the lunch hour. This is a great way to take a night off from cooking and still be able to feed your family at a reasonable price. They also have individual vegetarian meals, soups and desserts as “add-ons.” AASD has partnered with Ranch Events for many years and we are pleased they are able to bring some staff back to work. Feel free to share this information with anyone you wish to. Many of our AASD members have tried the meals and the feedback has been positive.
- RESOURCES AVAILABLE THROUGH THE VEBA RESOURCE CENTER (VRC)
The VEBA Resource Center (VRC) has been working diligently to provide a digital platform for VEBA members to access during this time of school closures/quarantine. If you are on Facebook, you may access the VRC by typing in VEBA Resource Center. There are weekly chats with Dr. Tarane Sondoozi which are on various topics that address current issues. There are also a variety of other resources available including simple circuit training videos, healthy recipes, information on mindfulness and other topics. This is available to all VEBA members and their dependents. Take a look!
- A MESSAGE FROM UNION PLUS (ALL AASD MEMBERS IN GOOD STANDING AND SELECT AFFILIATE AND RETIRED MEMBERS ARE MEMBERS OF UNION PLUS VIA AFSA)
Union Plus Direct Help for Our Members. If your family has been directly impacted by the Coronavirus pandemic, please visit Union Plus’ Hardship Help Section at https://www.unionplus.org/hardship-help/union-plus-hardship-help-benefits?utm_source=enews&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=03-26-20,
- IMPORTANT - PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If you know of a colleague that is not receiving the Update, or if your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org.
- UNION PLUS - MONEY-SAVING PROGRAMS FOR AFSA MEMBERS!
For all our Members in Good Standing, and Affiliates and Retirees who have selected to be members of AFSA, there are many money-saving programs offered to you. Click here to review your many options!
AFSA membership is provided to all AASD Members in Good Standing at no additional cost. For more information regarding AFSA and Union Plus benefits, please visit their website: https://www.theschoolleader.org/
IMPORTANT: For Members in Good Standing and Affiliate Members who have added AFSA -- If you have not turned in the “Combined AFSA Benefits Information Form,” please submit the form immediately. This form must be submitted in order to be eligible for the professional liability, legal services, etc. You do not need to list your full social security number on the form; however, AFSA has requested that you provide at least the last four digits. For a copy of the form, click here
- IMPORTANT – ELECTRONIC LINK AVAILABLE! FILL OUT YOUR AASD MEMBERSHIP RECOMMITMENT FORM NOW! This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to Affiliate members or Retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the google form (link below). This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Some of you have already filled out the new membership form over the past year – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again. If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member, please Click here.
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- AASD WEBSITE. Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD has a partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 19th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail email@example.com or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
- MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA).
There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout. (click on link) Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
The Benefits Portal - In addition to discounts and specials, BenefitHub also offers CASH BACK on some products and services! Get to know the benefit portal by visiting the BenefitHub website. The site is very user friendly. It is easy to do a search under various headings and categories, including Newest, Most Popular, Local Deals, Health and Wellness and Pay Over Time, just to name a few.
Benefit Hub Service - Gift Card Outlet - Save up to 15% on gift cards from over 70 popular merchants. The NEW Gift Card Outlet is in the Discount Marketplace.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- AASD Contact Information During the District Closure:
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- email@example.com 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- email@example.com
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily and Weekly Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.