DAILY UPDATE #66-- 6/22/2020
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE
AASD will be sending out a Daily Update, Monday-Friday, throughout the school closure period. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with the typical news and information for AASD members. The AASD Office will remain closed during the period of time the schools/district are closed. AASD staff will be working remotely and can be reached at the contact information at the end of this Update.
AASD has created a Google Form for AASD Members to report issues, questions or concerns regarding work-related issues and the COVID-19 virus. Any issues, questions or concerns submitted via the Google form will be shared daily with the District. AASD will then share the answers to issues, questions or concerns submitted as those answers are received from the district. You may also share your gratitude for another AASD member, district personnel, etc. via the same link.
The link to share issues/questions/concerns/gratitude is:
Please do not share this link outside of AASD membership (classified and certificated management/supervisors). The link will be active until this crisis is over. PLEASE CHECK THE DISTRICT’S WEBSITE TO ENSURE YOUR ISSUE/QUESTION/ CONCERN HAS NOT ALREADY BEEN ADDRESSED THERE.
NOTE: All previous AASD Daily Updates and Weekly Updates are located on the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org if you need to refer back to them for information.
- Q and A (Monday, June 22, 2020) (Questions were submitted by AASD members; the answers are from the District. AASD publishes the answers as they are received from the District.)
Q -- Are year round principals or vice principals getting hazard pay for going into school on July 9th and the additional day? Is that negotiable?
A -- (Answer provided by AASD) At this time, the COVID-19 MOU expires on June 30 as does the hazard pay. AASD has asked the district for an extension of the MOU to cover year round staff. The district has not agreed to an extension at this time. We will continue to keep you posted.
Many questions or submissions were submitted between the board decision on the plan for reopening schools (Tuesday) and the Thursday Zoom meeting for principals. These were all shared with the district however responses have not been received as most of the submitted questions were addressed during the Thursday principal zoom meeting.
- OTHER NEWS
Editorial: The Next School Year Could be a Nightmare in SD County (SD Union Tribune, June 19)
- DISTRICT COMMUNICATIONS
The following communication was sent to Principals on June 19:
- SAN DIEGO UNIFIED CELEBRATES JUNETEENTH
- On Tuesday, June 23rd, the San Diego Unified Board of Education will vote on a resolution recognizing Juneteenth as a holiday “to be observed every year, as a day of celebration of the past, present, and future of Black resilience, culture, and liberation.”
- Under this resolution, the district calls on educators to “teach the importance of Juneteenth and current movements such as ‘Black Lives Matter’ that advance liberation efforts for the Black community with classroom lessons throughout the year.” You can read more here.
- K-12 MATHEMATICS BREAKOUT SESSION JUNE 26th
- K-12 Mathematics: Guidelines and Resources for Fall and Beyond is a breakout session during the Summer Institute scheduled for June 26th.
- Here is a Screencast preview of K-12 Mathematics guidelines and resources for 2020-21 and beyond, including a review of the session’s outcomes
- PARENT SURVEY - PLEASE POST
- The following Parent Surveys were sent out centrally last night (Thursday, June 18th) with a deadline for parents to complete by next Thursday, June 25th.
- Increase survey participation for your site by posting the links above on your school website, share on social media, email or text to families if you would like.
- FROM THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA) – SUMMER LEARNING PROGRAMS
|In March 2020, the COVID-19 crisis shut down nearly every school in California, with no clear date for when schools would reopen. Governor Newsom and state leaders have begun to lay out a plan for reopening schools and youth serving programs. Heading into the summer, one critical issue on the minds of educators, parents, students and community leaders is access to summer learning programs.
This brief prepared by the Partnership for Children & Youth in partnership with ACSA lists considerations for summer program planning, including examples of in-person, hybrid and community summer learning, as well as support organizations and resources for districts.
Given that schools and learning will look and feel different in the fall (as it does typically in summer programming), many of the strategies, considerations and scenarios below can also be applied to the reopening planning process.
ACSA thanks Partnership for Children & Youth for their diligent work in developing this brief for California educators.
- SPECIAL GRATITUDE
If an AASD member has a department or individual that deserves special recognition during this time of crisis, please use the link above for reporting issues/questions/ concerns/gratitude to show your gratitude for the department or individual. AASD will publish that special thanks in our next Daily Update.
- DISTRICT WEBSITE
For your convenience, the District has created a list of Frequently Asked Questions. To access that list, click the link https://sites.google.com/sandi.net/covid19/staff-info
- AASD CONTACT INFORMATION DURING THE DISTRICT CLOSURE
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- email@example.com 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.