DAILY UPDATE #71-- 6/29/2020
- NOTE: THERE WILL NOT BE A DAILY UPDATE PRODUCED ON TUESDAY, JUNE 30, DUE TO AASD STAFF UNAVAILABILITY. THE DAILY UPDATE WILL RESUME ON WEDNESDAY, JULY 1.
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE
AASD will be sending out a Daily Update, Monday-Friday, throughout the school closure period. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with the typical news and information for AASD members. The AASD Office will remain closed during the period of time the schools/district are closed. AASD staff will be working remotely and can be reached at the contact information at the end of this Update.
AASD has created a Google Form for AASD Members to report issues, questions or concerns regarding work-related issues and the COVID-19 virus. Any issues, questions or concerns submitted via the Google form will be shared daily with the District. AASD will then share the answers to issues, questions or concerns submitted as those answers are received from the district. You may also share your gratitude for another AASD member, district personnel, etc. via the same link.
The link to share issues/questions/concerns/gratitude is:
Please do not share this link outside of AASD membership (classified and certificated management/supervisors). The link will be active until this crisis is over. PLEASE CHECK THE DISTRICT’S WEBSITE TO ENSURE YOUR ISSUE/QUESTION/ CONCERN HAS NOT ALREADY BEEN ADDRESSED THERE.
NOTE: All previous AASD Daily Updates and Weekly Updates are located on the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org if you need to refer back to them for information.
- Q and A (Monday, June 29, 2020) (Questions were submitted by AASD members; the answers are from the District. AASD publishes the answers as they are received from the District.)
Q -- Year round principals and classified staff were not offered hazard pay for the last three days for site entry in the coming month of July to close out the school year whereas traditional staff received hazard pay for the same work just one month earlier. This is completely unfair and I am unsure why all employees were not accounted for when this was negotiated. How is this not a grievance among staff who was left out of this MOU?
A -- (Answer provided by AASD) Thank you for sharing your concerns. When the MOU was negotiated in late March, no one knew this pandemic would become as serious as it is and be a long-term issue. At the time of negotiations, all information pointed towards the district being closed for three weeks only. The language in the MOU states that the MOU ends when schools reopen, or June 30, whichever comes first. If AASD knew then what we know now, we would have attempted to bargain the MOU through the end of the school year for year round. We are sorry that this is unfair for year round members. Beyond year round members, AASD has members in School Police, Transportation, Food Services and other departments who are reporting to a physical worksite on a daily basis who will not receive the hazard pay after June 30. Unfortunately, there is no grounds for a grievance. A grievance must be related to something in the MOU that has been violated. The MOU has not been violated.
- SPECIAL GRATITUDE
If an AASD member has a department or individual that deserves special recognition during this time of crisis, please use the link above for reporting issues/questions/ concerns/gratitude to show your gratitude for the department or individual. AASD will publish that special thanks in our next Daily Update.
From an AASD Member in Good Standing -- “Gratitude for Acacia Thede, Chief Human Resources Officer, In this crazy world we live in, she is balancing administrator interviews for multiple positions and multiple layers of the interview process, all while juggling her kids at home--all with a friendly smile and professional attitude.”
AASD would like to thank over 100 of our AASD Members in Good Standing who participated in the School Reopening AASD Bargaining Zoom input meetings held last week and today. Your input was extremely valuable and your voice was heard. Thank you for your support of AASD. We appreciate YOU!
- DISTRICT COMMUNICATIONS
The following communication was sent to Principals on June 26:
- FREEDOM SUMMER BOARD RESOLUTION
- Last Tuesday, our Board passed the Freedom Summer 2020 resolution urging our district to:
- Revise and strengthen District's strategies in achieving racial justice and equity.
- Focus on eliminating barriers that prevent equitable learning experiences and outcomes.
- During the month of July, our SDUSD leadership team will seek input from students, educators, and leaders in the development of strategies & practices to strengthen our commitment to anti-racism reform & equity for all.
- We have scheduled a Think Tank for Leaders via Zoom on July 2nd from 3:00-5:00 pm to gather your perspective and input.
- If you are interested in participating in this voluntary opportunity, please complete the form included here.
- REOPENING SCHOOLS THINK TANKS - SPACE AVAILABLE
- Thank you to those who participated in the Think Tanks this week. We have space available in the following Think Tanks scheduled for next week:
11:00-12:30 Social & Emotional Learning. Integration in Academic Core
1:00-2:15 Parents as Partners
1:00-2:15 Food Services
2:00-3:00 Supporting English Learners iELD & dELD
11:00-12:00 Dual Language/Language Immersion School
- If you are interested, please complete this Google Survey by Noon, Monday, June 29th. This opportunity is open to all SDUSD staff.
- UPDATED PARENT SURVEY - 58% ONSITE, 30.5% ONLINE WITH OPTIONS, 10.7% ALL ONLINE
- PARENT SURVEY GRADE LEVEL REPORTS ARE IN!
- Raw data files including student name, instructional preference and grade have been emailed to you.
- Based on multiple requests, the survey is extended to July 2nd. Updated data will be shared with you July 3rd.
- Please post on your school website, share on social media, email or send text to families. Year Round schools may have teachers push out the survey to families through their learning platforms:
- HIGH SCHOOL: CLASS OF 2020 GRADUATION CEREMONIES
- At this time, in-person ceremonies with or without spectators have NOT been approved by the County. If sites would like to plan for a virtual or Drive Through/Drive Up ceremony to take place in July or August, please adhere to the most current County guidelines for Drive Through and Drive Up Ceremonies.
- Schools are not required to host events in July/August if similar events were held in June.
- OTHER NEWS
California parents weigh risks, benefits of sending kids back to school (EdSource, June 29)
- FROM THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA)
Building Leadership Skills During the Pandemic: Be sure to join ACSA Monday evening at 5:30 PM for another LIVE edition of Common Purpose, Uncommon Times on ACSA’s Facebook & YouTube channels. Wes Smith will be joined by three former superintendents to discuss building leadership skills during the pandemic. This is a chance to grow your toolbox and strengthen your skills in service of students and your school communities. Stay engaged by leaving your comments and questions for our panel throughout the course of the broadcast.
- DISTRICT WEBSITE
For your convenience, the District has created a list of Frequently Asked Questions. To access that list, click the link https://sites.google.com/sandi.net/covid19/staff-info
- AASD CONTACT INFORMATION DURING THE DISTRICT CLOSURE
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- email@example.com 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- email@example.com
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.