DAILY UPDATE #87 -- 7/23/2020
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE
AASD will be sending out a Daily Update, Monday-Friday, throughout the return to instruction/ school reopening period. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with the typical news and information for AASD members. The AASD Office continues to remain closed. AASD staff are working remotely and can be reached via the contact information at the end of this Update.
AASD has created a Google Form for AASD Members to report issues, questions or concerns regarding work-related issues, COVID-19, return to instruction and school reopening. AASD will provide answers to issues, questions or concerns submitted as answers become available. You may also share your gratitude for another AASD member, district personnel, etc. via the same link.
The link to share issues/questions/concerns/gratitude is:
Please do not share this link outside of AASD membership (classified and certificated management/supervisors). The link will be active until this crisis is over.
NOTE: All previous AASD Daily Updates and Weekly Updates are located on the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org if you need to refer back to them for information.
- Q and A (Thursday, July 23, 2020
Q -- Just wondering why AASD went for the vacation payout [in bargaining] and other unions have not? It appears that for the next three years we will not have the option to a vacation payout and will this be a permanent edit to our contract in the future?
A – (Answer provided by AASD) Thank you for your question. During our AASD bargaining input sessions, which were available to all AASD members and by communications directly to AASD from members, there was a common theme around the issue of the 328-hour cap on vacation for summer 2020.
1. Many members stated there was no way they could take vacation this
summer (to get below the 328-hour cap) and get the work done that they
needed to get done to open schools for either in-school or online
instruction. Members shared that they felt extremely guilty taking vacation
this summer in order to get below the cap and asked for a solution that did
not financially impact their site budget.
2. Many members stated that they were very concerned that if they did not
take the vacation time this summer that the payout would be a
devastating hit to their school/site budget (many of our members are
actually responsible for monitoring of their school/site budget) and they
did not wish to negatively impact their site budget.
To meet the needs of many of our members, AASD bargained that the cap would be removed for this year and that members must work with their supervisor to bring balances down to below 328 hours by August 2023. Based on the input from members, the bargaining teams felt this was a good solution. The MOU is only for the 2020-21 school year and the language about waiving the cap has a sunset (ending) date of 2023. The removal of the cap language is not intended to be permanent contract language. AASD cannot speak to why other bargaining units have not negotiated the same language.
All AASD members are responsible, going forward, to plan for time to take their earned vacation time. There should not be payouts for those beyond the cap unless there are extenuating circumstances. Payouts are a negative hit to already slim budgets. Responsibility lies on the member and their supervisor to create a plan that always keeps the vacation time below the 328-hour cap.
- DISTRICT COMMUNICATIONS
The following communication was sent to Principals on July 22:
- BUILDING ANTI-RACIST & RESTORATIVE SCHOOL COMMUNITIES
- At Tuesday’s Board of Education workshop, District staff and students presented our commitment to building anti-racist and restorative school communities.
- The goal of this workshop is to eliminate the barriers that prevent our students of color from receiving equitable access, experiences, and outcomes through the examination of staff diversity, ethnic studies, grading practices and student discipline policies
- Here is a link to the video of the workshop and the presentation slides.
- SDEA WORKSPACE INTEREST SURVEY
- As we start the school year with online learning, the district would like to gauge educator interest in having the opportunity to teach/work from their classroom or workspace.
- A Workplace Interest Survey was sent centrally to all SDEA members today.
- NOTE: IMPORTANT FROM AASD – AASD HAS VERY CLEARLY SHARED WITH DISTRICT LEADERSHIP THAT WHILE WE SUPPORT TEACHERS HAVING THE OPPORTUNITY TO TEACH/WORK FROM THEIR CLASSROOM OR WORKSPACE ON A DISTRICT SITE (FOLLOWING HEALTH AND SAFETY GUIDELINES WITH CLEAR RULES AND PARAMETERS), AASD TAKES THE POSITION THAT OUR AASD MEMBERS (PRINCIPALS, VICE PRINCIPALS, OTHER AASD-REPRESENTED MANAGERS/SUPERVISORS) ARE NOT TO BE REQUIRED TO PHYSICALLY REPORT TO THE SITE FOR SUPERVISION OF SUCH TEACHERS AND THAT ANY AASD MEMBER ON SITE (BSS III/POS, ETC.) SHOULD NOT BE REQUIRED TO HAVE PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH ANY TEACHER REPORTING ON SITE TO THEIR CLASSROOM.
- OTHER NEWS
Poll shows very few Americans support full school reopening (SD Union Tribune, July 22)
All Options on Table for Fall Schooling (NBC7, Rory Devine July 22)
Millions of kids may lose out on free meals (Politico, July 20)
- SPECIAL GRATITUDE
If an AASD member has a department or individual that deserves special recognition during this time of crisis, please use the link above for reporting issues/questions/ concerns/gratitude to show your gratitude for the department or individual. AASD will publish that special thanks in our next Daily Update.
- DISTRICT WEBSITE
For your convenience, the District has created a list of Frequently Asked Questions. To access that list, click the link https://sites.google.com/sandi.net/covid19/staff-info
- AASD CONTACT INFORMATION DURING THE DISTRICT CLOSURE
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- email@example.com 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.