AASD Weekly Update 7-23-2020
- YOU’RE INVITED: FREE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT SUMMER WEBINAR SERIES FROM SCHOLASTIC
Scholastic Professional is excited to present a free webinar series with leading literacy experts discussing equity, independent reading and writing, social-emotional learning, multilingual readers and writers, early childhood, and more. Join Scholastic for ready-to-implement strategies and resources to foster summer learning and prepare for returning to school. Register to watch live or receive a recording after the webinar.
Please find the updated schedule for Scholastic’s Professional Development summer series below. Attendees can register for all events through the series program page, or for individual sessions through the links below. Please note: All times listed are for Eastern time zone. Be sure to tune in 3 hours earlier for our Pacific time zone.
Mastering Short-Response Writing
Thursday, July 23, 4:00 pm ET, REGISTER
Dr. Kamania Wynter-Hoyte, Dr. Eliza Braden, Dr. Michele Myers
Countering Anti-Blackness Through Elementary Literacy Instruction
Tuesday, July 28, 1:00 pm ET, REGISTER
Dr. Lester Laminack
How to Make Every Read-Aloud Interactive and Engaging
Tuesday, July 28, 4:00 pm ET, REGISTER
Dr. Timothy V. Rasinski
Fluency and Word Study
Wednesday, July 29, 1:00 pm ET, REGISTER
Dr. Gholdy Muhammad
Cultivating Genius: An Equity Framework for Culturally and Historically Responsive Literacy
Wednesday, July 29, Time 4:00 pm ET, REGISTER
Dr. Cecilia Espinosa and Dr. Laura Ascenzi-Moreno
Using Translanguaging to Grow Multilingual Readers and Writers
Thursday, July 30, 1:00 pm ET, REGISTER
Phonics-Powered Prevention and Intervention
Thursday, July 30, 4:00 pm ET, REGISTER
Stay tuned for more events in August!
Eric Litwin & Dr. Gina Pepin | Dr. Jan Richardson & Ellen Lewis | Dr. Maria Walther | Dr. Don Vu | Dr. Julia López-Robertson | Dr. Jacqueline Sanderlin | Dr. Carol Chanter and Dr. Rosemarye Taylor | Dr. Alfred Tatum | and more!
- MESSAGE FROM EMPOWER HOUR
Dear Friends of Empower Hour,
Over the past six years, the founders of Empower Hour and now the current Empower Hour Planning Committee have organized well over 120 events for our women colleagues in San Diego County. From Workshops to Happy Hours to Presentations to our Mentoring Program, we have tried to offer what our women in education (current management, aspiring management and retired management) asked for. Professional and personal friendships have formed through our group and many of our attendees who were looking to grow and promote have achieved that goal. Empower Hour has been a safe place to share, learn and grow. Professional connections, social connections and powerful relationships have flourished through our group!
Additionally, we have been so honored to have such impressive and humble speakers who volunteered to be our presenters at so many events. We thank them from the bottom of our hearts for being willing to help other women colleagues in their growth, both personally and professionally.
Today it is with sadness that we inform you that your Empower Hour Planning Team has come to the decision to disband Empower Hour. This decision has not come lightly. With the restrictions on gatherings and the amount of online Zoom meeting those in leadership face daily, the Planning Team could not find a format that would fulfill our mission “to encourage, support and inspire female educational leaders through various growth opportunities.” We appreciate your participation, support and love throughout the past six years. It’s been a wonderful ride! We hope you have enjoyed it as much as we have.
We would not have been able to do any of this over the past six years without the support of our sponsors. We sincerely thank all of our repetitive sponsors -- ACSA Region 18, the Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), North Island Credit Union, Mission Federal Credit Union, SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union, California Casualty, and many others who sponsored an event along our journey. Special gratitude to Joe Bauers and Kyle Smith from CALPRO Financial Network for being our premiere sponsor at every single Empower Hour event for the past four years. We could not have done this without you!
Although we will not physically be together, know that together we lift each other. Together we rise. Together we can change the world. Empowered Women Empower Women!
Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
Your Empower Hour Planning Team
Donis Coronel (Empower Hour Planning Team Coordinator)
Becky Bravo (founding member)
Jennifer Carbuccia (founding member)
Gretchen Murphy Boykin
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE - The AASD office remains closed, in conjunction with the San Diego Unified school closures, until further notice. The Daily Update will continue through the closure to answer any questions and address any of your concerns with regard to school closures and COVID-19 updates. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with a variety of news and information for AASD members.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-Represented CERTIFICATED Job Postings
None at this time.
AASD-Represented CLASSIFIED Job Postings
None at this time.
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
- CLASSIFIED AASD MEMBERS – PURSUE YOUR DEGREE ONLINE FOR FREE (BENEFIT FROM AFSA UNION PLUS)
|While we all face new challenges in these extraordinary times, your pathway to advancement or a career change is still open with Union Plus Free College. Investing time in your education now can help you move toward an even more meaningful future.
With Union Plus Free College, brought to you in partnership with AFSCME, you can work toward an associate degree or certificate completely online, for FREE.
- No costs to you
You will not have to pay for tuition, fees and e-books, and additional financial aid options are available for education-related costs.
- Online programs that prepare you to continue your education
Classes are offered through Eastern Gateway Community College (EGCC)
— a public, regionally-accredited college — and have full- and part-time options designed for working adults. The credits and degree you earn at EGCC are transferable to colleges all over the country. Several programs are offered including business management, criminal justice, teacher education and the new social work.
Now enrolling for fall classes starting August 17, 2020.
Get started by calling 888-590-9009 or enrolling online. ENROLL ONLINE NOW
- AASD AND THE DISTRICT REACH A TENTATIVE AGREEMENT ON THE IMPACTS AND EFFECTS OF RETURN TO INSTRUCTION (SCHOOL REOPENING)
The AASD Executive Board and the AASD Bargaining Teams proudly announce that AASD and the District have reached a tentative agreement on the impacts and effects of return to instruction. There is an agreement for AASD Certificated and an agreement for AASD Classified, as well as a Summary, provided in the links below. Please take the time to read through the agreement and the Summary so you are informed. The agreements were ratified by AASD at the Executive Board meeting on Tuesday and will now go to the SDUSD Board of Education for ratification. AASD thanks all of our members who provided input into the bargaining via our online input sessions and sincerely thanks the members of the AASD Bargaining Teams for their dedication to AASD.
Certificated Bargaining Team:
Donis Coronel, Chief Negotiator
Scott Thomason, Bargaining Chair
Patti Burch, Official Notetaker
Classified Bargaining Team:
Donis Coronel, Chief Negotiator
Jesus Montana, Bargaining Chair
Patti Burch, Official Notetaker
Tentative Agreement, Certificated Tentative Agreement, Classified
- INFORMATION FOR ADMINISTATORS AT YEAR ROUND SITES WHO ARE TRANSITIONING TO TRADITIONAL CALENDAR
At the request of year round administrators, AASD checked with the Payroll Department to receive clarification on communications that went to classified year round staff. Per Payroll, the communication that went to classified staff, such as office staff, was the “Grace Year Letter” that Payroll sent out early July, which primarily addressed the impact to those who will no longer be paid year round so that they can prepare for that well in advance.
In regards to site administrators, the process generally involves the following: Once Human Resources finishes putting on the assignment changes in PeopleSoft, the payroll specialists will be doing individual reviews of all principals and vice principals transitioning, as well as any extra days to be paid out for 2020-2021. Payroll specialists will be reaching out to individual principals and vice principals about their specific pay and when to expect the transition to occur. The timing depends on when the assignments go on the system, but as always, Payroll does their best to get it paid as quickly as their payroll processing schedule allows. At first glance, it appears there should be six days that would be paid out as a result for a typical elementary school principal due to the transition, but that can depend on other variables like individual calendar assignments. The pay for those additional days would be paid at the principal’s contract daily rate of pay.
The payroll specialists will be communicating directly with impacted AASD-represented administrators.
- FROM RANCH EVENTS – DINNERS THAT FEED UP TO 6 PEOPLE FOR $25
Tired of cooking? As many of you know, all of the AASD events at Marina Village and Scottish Rite Center are catered by Ranch Events. They make and serve delicious meals! Ranch Events has opened their kitchen at the Scottish Rite Event Center (in Mission Valley) for “take out” meals that feed up to 4-5 adults and 1-2 children for $25! Such a deal. And delicious, home style cooked meals. The website is below; meals can be ordered in advance or the order can be placed on the same day, as long as it is placed by 12 noon that day. Pick up times are 3:00 PM to 5:30 PM each day at the Scottish Rite Event Center in Mission Valley. In addition, Ranch Events has just added a family meal pick up during the lunch hour. This is a great way to take a night off from cooking and still be able to feed your family at a reasonable price. They also have individual vegetarian meals, soups and desserts as “add-ons.” AASD has partnered with Ranch Events for many years and we are pleased they are able to bring some staff back to work. Feel free to share this information with anyone you wish to. Many of our AASD members have tried the meals and the feedback has been positive.
- IMPORTANT - PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If you know of a colleague that is not receiving the Update, or if your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org.
- UNION PLUS - MONEY-SAVING PROGRAMS FOR AFSA MEMBERS!
AFSA membership is provided to all AASD Members in Good Standing at no additional cost. For more information regarding AFSA and Union Plus benefits, please visit their website: https://www.theschoolleader.org/
IMPORTANT: For Members in Good Standing and Affiliate Members who have added AFSA -- If you have not turned in the “Combined AFSA Benefits Information Form,” please submit the form immediately. This form must be submitted in order to be eligible for the professional liability, legal services, etc. You do not need to list your full social security number on the form; however, AFSA has requested that you provide at least the last four digits. For a copy of the form, click here
For all our Members in Good Standing, and Affiliates and Retirees who have selected to be members of AFSA, there are many money-saving programs offered to you. Click here to review your many options!
- IMPORTANT – ELECTRONIC LINK AVAILABLE! FILL OUT YOUR AASD MEMBERSHIP RECOMMITMENT FORM NOW! This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to Affiliate members or Retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the google form (link below). This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Some of you have already filled out the new membership form over the past year – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again. If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member, please Click here.
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- AASD WEBSITE. Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD has a partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 19th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail email@example.com or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
- MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA).
There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout. (click on link) Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
The Benefits Portal - In addition to discounts and specials, BenefitHub also offers CASH BACK on some products and services! Get to know the benefit portal by visiting the BenefitHub website. The site is very user friendly. It is easy to do a search under various headings and categories, including Newest, Most Popular, Local Deals, Health and Wellness and Pay Over Time, just to name a few.
Benefit Hub Service - Gift Card Outlet - Save up to 15% on gift cards from over 70 popular merchants. The NEW Gift Card Outlet is in the Discount Marketplace.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- AASD Contact Information During the District Closure:
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- email@example.com 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- email@example.com
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily and Weekly Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.