AASD Weekly Update 7-30-2020
- A MESSAGE FOR OUR AASD MEMBERS IN GOOD STANDING
As we enter into August and into the fifth month of COVID-19 school closures etc., our lives have certainly been turned upside down. For those who supervise or provide instruction to students, our hats are off to you. You made it through the end of the school year doing the best you could possibly do under crisis management circumstances. AASD is proud of the work that has occurred through the leadership of our members. And for support staff who do not supervise or provide direct instruction, your dedication in support of our principals, vice principals and certificated management staff has been second to none. YOU ARE ALL SO VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!
AASD also acknowledges the SDUSD Executive Leadership team under the direction of Superintendent Marten and Chief of Staff Monreal. During a time like this, no matter what decision is made about the format for instruction, there will always be those in the public who do not agree with the decision. The Superintendent and Chief of Staff have led through these unprecedented times with courage and grace, keeping the health and safety of students and the staff at the forefront of all discussions. They are making decisions based on science and research, using necessary caution. District leadership has been communicative and available throughout the entire school closure period and going into school re-opening planning with AASD leadership. For this, AASD applauds them.
Now, as we move forward to receive the information AASD members need to plan for reopening school (online) on August 31, AASD members will be challenged again to lead some very difficult work. Whether you are a school principal/vice principal, central office management support, a classified manager or a classified supervisor, this will likely be the greatest challenge of your career. While it is frustrating to wait for direction on how instruction will be provided (which ultimately impacts how our members plan for the opening of school), and while it is challenging that the guidelines from the State and Federal sources are constantly changing during this pandemic, AASD knows that once our members have the information they need to move forward, AASD members will do the amazing work that they do in support of our students and families. Because that’s what we do. And that’s what we have always done.
Stay well, be safe, remain focused and continue to provide the service you have always provided.
Donis Coronel, AASD Executive Director
On Behalf of the AASD Board of Directors
- AASD MEMBERS IN GOOD STANDING, RETIRED MEMBERS AND AFFILIATE MEMBERS – YOUR HELP IS NEEDED – IT JUST TAKES LESS THAN TWO MINUTES!
Our National union, AFSA, is calling upon all school leaders – classified and certificated – for your help and support. Our voices need to be heard in Washington DC. Please take less than two minutes of your time to support the children you work with every day. Tell your senators it is time to appropriately fund our schools and pass the HEROES Act. This week Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell released a bad bill for school, educators and the children we serve every day. Unlike the House of Representatives' legislation, the McConnell measure doesn’t match the scale of the crisis and won't make our schools safe. In this moment in time, we have to shoot for the stars to make this country whole again. Write your senators — it is time to fund our schools! Pass the HEROES Act.
By clicking on one of the links above, the name and contact of your legislator populates. AFSA has written a good template letter which you are permitted to revise as you see fit. It’s a very easy way to have your voice heard in Washington DC.
- SPECIAL OFFER For All AASD Members in Good Standing, Affiliate Members with AFSA and Retired Members with AFSA: Get MetLife Legal Plans for Only $19.95 a Month (provided via Union Plus)
This year, more than ever, we are reminded of the importance of being prepared and caring for ourselves and loved ones. Legal help is important at many stages of life, but even more so now when you may be looking to protect your family and plan for the future. Enroll by September 7 in this voluntary legal assistance plan at a reduced fee of $19.95 per month. Union Plus is pleased to offer this special opportunity to enroll outside of your annual enrollment in MetLife Legal Plans at a reduced monthly fee of $19.95. You’ll have access to attorneys for estate planning, including wills and powers of attorneys, real estate or debt matters, and much more.
Union Plus MetLife Legal Plans offer:
• Unlimited access to a network of 17,500+ attorneys
• Legal assistance without deductibles or co-pays
• An experienced service team to help you find the right lawyers
• In-court representation for covered legal matters
• A mobile app and online tools for your convenience
Learn more by calling 800-821-6400 or enrolling online.
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE - The AASD office remains closed, in conjunction with the San Diego Unified school closures, until further notice. The Daily Update will continue through the closure to answer any questions and address any of your concerns with regard to school closures and COVID-19 updates. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with a variety of news and information for AASD members.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-Represented CERTIFICATED Job Postings
Principal, Sandburg Elementary, Closes 8/10
Principal, Fletcher Elementary, Closes 8/10
Vice Principal, Logan-Memorial Complex, Closes 8/10
Vice Principal, Scripps Ranch High, Closes 8/10
AASD-Represented CLASSIFIED Job Postings
None at this time.
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
- AASD AND THE DISTRICT REACH A TENTATIVE AGREEMENT ON THE IMPACTS AND EFFECTS OF RETURN TO INSTRUCTION (SCHOOL REOPENING)
The AASD Executive Board and the AASD Bargaining Teams proudly announce that AASD and the District have reached a tentative agreement on the impacts and effects of return to instruction. There is an agreement for AASD Certificated and an agreement for AASD Classified, as well as a Summary, provided in the links below. Please take the time to read through the agreement and the Summary so you are informed. The agreements were ratified by AASD at the Executive Board meeting on Tuesday and will now go to the SDUSD Board of Education for ratification. AASD thanks all of our members who provided input into the bargaining via our online input sessions and sincerely thanks the members of the AASD Bargaining Teams for their dedication to AASD.
Certificated Bargaining Team:
Donis Coronel, Chief Negotiator
Scott Thomason, Bargaining Chair
Patti Burch, Official Notetaker
Classified Bargaining Team:
Donis Coronel, Chief Negotiator
Jesus Montana, Bargaining Chair
Patti Burch, Official Notetaker
Tentative Agreement, Certificated Tentative Agreement, Classified
- FROM RANCH EVENTS – DINNERS THAT FEED UP TO 6 PEOPLE FOR $25
Tired of cooking? As many of you know, all of the AASD events at Marina Village and Scottish Rite Center are catered by Ranch Events. They make and serve delicious meals! Ranch Events has opened their kitchen at the Scottish Rite Event Center (in Mission Valley) for “take out” meals that feed up to 4-5 adults and 1-2 children for $25! Such a deal. And delicious, home style cooked meals. The website is below; meals can be ordered in advance or the order can be placed on the same day, as long as it is placed by 12 noon that day. Pick up times are 3:00 PM to 5:30 PM each day at the Scottish Rite Event Center in Mission Valley. In addition, Ranch Events has just added a family meal pick up during the lunch hour. This is a great way to take a night off from cooking and still be able to feed your family at a reasonable price. They also have individual vegetarian meals, soups and desserts as “add-ons.” AASD has partnered with Ranch Events for many years and we are pleased they are able to bring some staff back to work. Feel free to share this information with anyone you wish to. Many of our AASD members have tried the meals and the feedback has been positive.
- IMPORTANT - PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If you know of a colleague that is not receiving the Update, or if your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org.
- UNION PLUS - MONEY-SAVING PROGRAMS FOR AFSA MEMBERS!
AFSA membership is provided to all AASD Members in Good Standing at no additional cost. For more information regarding AFSA and Union Plus benefits, please visit their website: https://www.theschoolleader.org/
IMPORTANT: For Members in Good Standing and Affiliate Members who have added AFSA -- If you have not turned in the “Combined AFSA Benefits Information Form,” please submit the form immediately. This form must be submitted in order to be eligible for the professional liability, legal services, etc. You do not need to list your full social security number on the form; however, AFSA has requested that you provide at least the last four digits. For a copy of the form, click here
For all our Members in Good Standing, and Affiliates and Retirees who have selected to be members of AFSA, there are many money-saving programs offered to you. Click here to review your many options!
- IMPORTANT – ELECTRONIC LINK AVAILABLE! FILL OUT YOUR AASD MEMBERSHIP RECOMMITMENT FORM NOW! This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to Affiliate members or Retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the google form (link below). This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Some of you have already filled out the new membership form over the past year – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again. If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member, please Click here.
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- AASD WEBSITE. Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail email@example.com with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD has a partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 19th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
- MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA).
There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout. (click on link) Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at email@example.com.
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
The Benefits Portal - In addition to discounts and specials, BenefitHub also offers CASH BACK on some products and services! Get to know the benefit portal by visiting the BenefitHub website. The site is very user friendly. It is easy to do a search under various headings and categories, including Newest, Most Popular, Local Deals, Health and Wellness and Pay Over Time, just to name a few.
Benefit Hub Service - Gift Card Outlet - Save up to 15% on gift cards from over 70 popular merchants. The NEW Gift Card Outlet is in the Discount Marketplace.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- AASD Contact Information During the District Closure:
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- email@example.com 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily and Weekly Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.