DAILY UPDATE #117 -- 9/04/2020
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE.
AASD will be sending out a Daily Update, Monday-Friday, throughout the return to instruction/school reopening period. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with the typical news and information for AASD members. The AASD Office continues to remain closed. AASD staff are working remotely and can be reached via the contact information at the end of this Update.
AASD has created a Google Form for AASD Members to report issues, questions or concerns regarding work-related issues, COVID-19, return to instruction and school reopening. AASD will provide answers to issues, questions or concerns submitted as answers become available. You may also share your gratitude for another AASD member, district personnel, etc., via the same link.
The link to share issues/questions/concerns/gratitude is:
Please do not share this link outside of AASD membership (classified and certificated management/supervisors). The link will be active until this crisis is over.
NOTE: All previous AASD Daily Updates and Weekly Updates are located on the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org if you need to refer back to them for information.
- LABOR DAY WEEKEND – MAKE TIME FOR YOU!
Your AASD Board of Directors encourages all AASD members to take time this weekend for YOURSELF. You have all been working so diligently to open school and we know the work continues after hours and on weekends. Try to make some time for yourself to do something that is relaxing, fun or just time to rest and reflect.
“Rest and self-care are so important. When you take time to replenish your spirit, it allows you to serve others from the overflow. You cannot serve from an empty vessel.” Eleanor Brown
- BARGAINING UPDATE
AASD continues to bargain the impacts and effects of the Phase One Appointment Based Instruction. The AASD and District teams met yesterday and are continuing to bargain today. Information will be forthcoming.
- HOTLINE FOR AASD MEMBERS
As previously reported, AASD negotiated a “hotline” for any AASD member to contact for help as needed. In the Return to Instruction MOU, AASD negotiated the following language:
The District will establish a “hotline” available to AASD unit members and other management who are charged with enforcing the health and safety policies and procedures where they can call or e-mail and get immediate assistance when conflicts arise, clarification is needed, or decisions must be made regarding health and safety matters. This hotline will be available on all District workdays, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and will be staffed with a person in authority who has the capability to make decisions or who has direct access to those who can make decisions. In the rare event that a message must be left, all calls will be returned promptly, within the same day.
We are hopeful that the hotline will be up and running next week. Logistics are still being worked on today. As soon as logistics are worked out, both the District and AASD will announce the hotline phone number to all AASD members. AASD is pleased to announce that our AASD member, Brian Kenworthy, who is a classified manager (Operations Specialist) will be the voice on the other end of the hotline. Many of you know Brian as he has worked for the district for 18 years in departments such as Human Resources, Summer School/ESY, Leadership and Learning, Labor Relations, Office of the Superintendent and the Charter School Office. Brian will be a great resource for our members and is a well-respected manager. Thank you, Brian!
Stay tuned! This hotline is for ALL AASD represented members, both classified and certificated.
- DISTRICT COMMUNICATIONS
The following communication was sent to principals on September 3:
- SPECIAL EDUCATION UPDATE
- Principals have asked for the communication that was shared to families via email/phone call over the weekend from the Special Education Division. Here are the two messages:
- CAMPUS SECURITY ASSISTANTS
- Campus Security Assistants (CSAs) can provide support during online learning in various ways such as: supporting distribution of textbooks and materials, greeting families, and directing “traffic” on campus in support of food distribution or other onsite activities.
- Paras can also support the front office, teachers, and counseling staff to connect with students and families.
- If you are asking CSAs to report onsite, review the procedures in the Teacher/Staff Access Guide with them.
- For staff asking for an accommodation, please connect with your HRO to schedule a meeting.
- VISITING TEACHERS: ONLINE LEARNING (OLVT) RECOMMENDATIONS
- Please read this document about GATE support during online learning.
- WILLIAMS: FACILITIES INSPECTION
- Principals of schools subject to an annual Williams visit were sent a letter by the San Diego County Office of Education with the date and time of their county facilities inspection between Sept 14-30.
- At this time, only Facilities Inspections will be performed on campus for the identified schools.
- Principals are not required to be available during these inspections. Site BSS or custodial staff member and a district facilities team member is required to meet with and accompany the county review team throughout the inspection.
- SDCOE Facilities Review Team will need the following upon arrival:
- An area to meet with site BSS and District Facilities members at the start of each visit and at the end to discuss findings.
- The BSS and District Facilities member will be required to accompany the county inspectors with keys to access 25% classrooms and 100% of common areas (i.e. storage rooms, bathrooms, auditoriums, offices).
- Inspectors will avoid classrooms being occupied by teachers during distance learning, but are required to inspect 25% of classrooms.
- A map of the schools identifying all classrooms with room numbers and common areas.
- This map can be used to identify classrooms in use for distance learning.
- Most recent 100% FIT performed by the District. (The Instructional Materials Office will provide this to SDCOE prior to your visit.)
- SDCOE personnel will adhere to the local and state health and safety protocols and arrive with PPE for their team.
- WILLIAMS: INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS & TEACHER VACANCY REQUIREMENTS
- The Instructional Materials and Teacher Vacancy requirements will be completed electronically and submitted to the Instructional Materials Office no later than September 25th.
- Details of the updated process are available on the Williams website.
- Admin Circulars 52-54 outlining the process for certifying Williams sufficiency of instructional materials for the 20-21 school year is now posted online.
- For questions, please reach out to Chris Woehler firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ELEMENTARY UPDATES
- Due to current space constraints and workload requirements of the IMC warehouse due to the receipt and distribution of the new K-8 ELA/ELD adoptions, the pick-up of FOSS kits will be postponed until further notice.
- Content materials for FOSS Science Kits can be requested by emailing Yvette Arambula email@example.com.
- SPECIAL GRATITUDE
If an AASD member has a department or individual that deserves special recognition during this time of crisis, please use the link above for reporting issues/questions/concerns/gratitude to show your gratitude for the department or individual. AASD will publish that special thanks in our next Daily Update.
Submitted anonymously by an AASD Member: “A huge shout out to the Lincoln cluster administrators for a warm welcome, support, advising, and keeping us all honest about the work that needs to be done to ensure equitable opportunities for our students.”
- OTHER NEWS
San Diego Leaders Urge Financial Relief For Schools, Locally and Nationwide (Press Conference) (KPBS, September 3)
How one Southern California desert town has reopened its classrooms to hundreds of elementary students (EdSource, September 3)
- DISTRICT WEBSITE
For your convenience, the District has created a list of Frequently Asked Questions. To access that list, click the link https://sites.google.com/sandi.net/covid19/staff-info
- AASD CONTACT INFORMATION DURING THE DISTRICT CLOSURE
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- email@example.com 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.