DAILY UPDATE #118 -- 9/08/2020
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE.
AASD will be sending out a Daily Update, Monday-Friday, throughout the return to instruction/school reopening period. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with the typical news and information for AASD members. The AASD Office continues to remain closed. AASD staff are working remotely and can be reached via the contact information at the end of this Update.
AASD has created a Google Form for AASD Members to report issues, questions or concerns regarding work-related issues, COVID-19, return to instruction and school reopening. AASD will provide answers to issues, questions or concerns submitted as answers become available. You may also share your gratitude for another AASD member, district personnel, etc., via the same link.
The link to share issues/questions/concerns/gratitude is:
Please do not share this link outside of AASD membership (classified and certificated management/supervisors). The link will be active until this crisis is over.
NOTE: All previous AASD Daily Updates and Weekly Updates are located on the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org if you need to refer back to them for information.
- Q and A (Tuesday, September 8, 2020)
Q: (Presumably from a BSS III or POS). Now that teachers are back on campus, some of them are becoming very relaxed and not wearing mask as they pass through hallways. They are also expecting the classrooms to be cleaned, trash dumped, etc., ignoring the contract agreement. When will the hotline come out?
A: (Answer provided by AASD) That is truly unfortunate that ADULTS ON THE SCHOOL SITE are not following the health and safety guidelines. This is not the first report AASD has received of this. Presuming this concern is from a BSS III or POS -- If you are comfortable doing so, you should notify the principal of these violations. The principal has the responsibility to ensure health and safety guidelines are followed on campus. No one should be subjected to others not following the health and safety guidelines. Additionally, BSS III and POS (as well as other custodial classifications not represented by AASD) are NOT required to clean the classroom or dump the trash of the room of the teacher who is electing to teach on campus. If you are being required or feeling pressured into cleaning a room that only the teacher is using, please either report to the principal, the custodial services supervisor or to the Hotline. Once students are on campus, there is a process for cleaning the classroom of the teacher who is providing appointment based instruction. If you still have concerns or questions regarding any of this – please reach out to Executive Director, Donis Coronel, for support.
- DISTRICT COMMUNICATIONS
The following communication was sent to Principals on September 4:
- FEEDBACK FROM ADMINISTRATORS
- Teacher's Editions for educators teaching combo classes - Unfortunately, due to budget constraints, we have implemented a long standing policy that only one set of newly adopted curriculum materials are provided to combination classes. Providing an additional set would increase the new adoption cost by approximately 30%. Some principals have opted to use site funds to purchase additional sets if the teacher requests them.
- Volunteers during Online Learning should be carefully considered. Using volunteers in small groups or alone with students in virtual sessions exposes the teacher, principal, and District to liability because they take responsibility for the actions of the volunteer. If the volunteer does not follow a procedure or has a conflict with a student, they are not an employee and cannot be held accountable for their actions. Should you choose to utilize volunteers in your classroom, you must follow the District volunteer procedures.
- IT UPDATES
- The Family Technology Support Line (619-732-1400) had a very high call volume with long wait times.
- The primary call type was families either not knowing or forgetting their student ID and password.
- Please provide families with their student's ID and passwords.
- Please review this document for additional information.
- ZOOM SECURITY SETTINGS
- Teachers need to set up Zoom meetings for authenticated users only.
- Teachers/students should not be using their personal email account (i.e. gmail) to log in to Zoom.
- It is important that teachers set up authenticated meetings properly by following these 2 steps:
- In settings, teachers must make sure the toggle switch is turned on for “Only authenticated users can join meetings.”
- Next, when scheduling meetings, teachers must check the box that says “Only authenticated users can join” then use the drop down menu to select “SDUSD staff and students can join.”
- Teachers should also enable the waiting room feature and not allow students to join before the host.
- Please see job aid for more details.
- Students must take additional steps to sign into authenticated meetings. Students should sign into sandiegounified.zoom.us prior to joining the Zoom meeting. They can type this in the address bar or find the link in Clever. Click here for job aid and video.
- SPECIAL EDUCATION GUIDANCE
- Upcoming voluntary Webinar IEP Compliance for Online Learning: Reviewing the Special Education Guidance Document for all educators:
Wednesday, September 9, 2020
Zoom Webinar Link: https://sandiegounified.zoom.us/j/91811514753
- Educators will need to register for the webinar and will receive a confirmation email. They need to SAVE the email as they will need it to join the webinar on Wednesday.
- We will also schedule weekly voluntary office hours for all educators supporting students with disabilities.
- PARAEDUCATOR INDEPENDENCE FACILITATORS (PIF) TRAINING
- PIF training is scheduled for Tues 9/8-Thurs 9/10 and varies from person to person as they are each assigned to a specific trainer.
- PIFs are instructed to attend their assigned PD and one of their regularly scheduled online classes with students, depending on the training schedule. Please allow your PIFs to attend the assigned training.
- Please see an attached list of PIFs.
- IT UPDATE: FILE SERVER MIGRATION
- Employees with IDs beginning with a ‘11’ or ‘12’ received an email from IT today about home folder file migration scheduled for this weekend.
- Please note, access to online services will NOT be impacted and all staff will continue to have access to these systems. Some examples of online services include: Email, Google Drive/Classroom/Docs, Clever, Canvas, Destiny, PowerSchool, PeopleSoft.
- AFTER- HOURS SITE ACCESS...Message from Chief Marquez
- This message will be sent to all district employees on behalf of School Police, Chief Marquez.
- ELEMENTARY UPDATES
- Elementary Principals are invited to a voluntary learning opportunity on September 10th from 1:30-2:45 pm.
- The voluntary session will be focused on recruiting and maintaining TK-Kindergarten students and their families.
- TK/K Recruitment Efforts
- To increase TK/K enrollment, recruitment efforts should include:
- Contacting all inactive incoming TK/Ks and promoting enrollment (these would be students whose parents enrolled in spring or summer, but have been “no show” so far).
- OTHER NEWS
Safe Reopening Creates Massive Shopping List for California Schools (Times of SD, September 7)
San Diego Unified recommends against kindergarten gap year (SDNews.com, September 5)
SDSU confines college students to dorms after wave of COVID (SD Union Tribune, September 7)
- SPECIAL GRATITUDE
If an AASD member has a department or individual that deserves special recognition during this time of crisis, please use the link above for reporting issues/questions/concerns/gratitude to show your gratitude for the department or individual. AASD will publish that special thanks in our next Daily Update.
- DISTRICT WEBSITE
For your convenience, the District has created a list of Frequently Asked Questions. To access that list, click the link https://sites.google.com/sandi.net/covid19/staff-info
- AASD CONTACT INFORMATION DURING THE DISTRICT CLOSURE
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- email@example.com 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- email@example.com
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.