DAILY UPDATE #123 -- 9/16/2020
- CALLING ALL SENIOR HIGH VICE PRINCIPALS!
As you may know, with AASD’s help, the Elementary and Mid Level Vice Principals formed an informal networking group last year called Vice Principals Council (VPC) (very similar to the principals groups that have been in place for years). The VPC had a very successful first year and is now moving into its second year.
AASD is willing to help Senior High Vice Principals start a similar group if we can identify a few Senior High Vice Principals who would be willing to be co-chairs (the VPC had four co-chairs). AASD has received information from a few Senior High Vice Principals that they would like to be part of this type of group where networking, sharing of ideas, etc. happens.
All we need is a few volunteers to co-chair and we can help get this off the ground. With all meetings being on Zoom, it will be much easier to start the group rather than trying to find meeting locations, etc.
Please contact Donis Coronel at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in helping to start the group as a co-chair.
- DISTRICT COMMUNICATIONS
The following communication was sent to principals on September 15:
- ENROLLMENT UPDATE TO: ‘NO SHOW’ DROP DATE
- For this year, we have updated our student drop process to allow sites additional time for family outreach and enrollment.
- “No Show” Drops by IT will be postponed by 2 weeks and conducted on September 25, 2020.
- “Third Friday” official enrollment count will now be on the fifth Friday of the school year (October 2, 2020).
- Please read this MEMO outlining the process, as well as IT training and support.
- CUSTODIAL OPTIONS MENU (COM) SUBMISSION DELAYED
- The Custodial Options Menu (COM) is a planning tool that is unique to each school site which shows current level of custodial staffing, the inventory of spaces on your campus and the estimated time to clean and disinfect the individual spaces and to carry out the other necessary functions on campus.
- Friday’s deadline has been extended because we realize that it's premature before a broader plan for reopening. We anticipate needing the COM completed in advance of any reopening phase, and will share new deadlines via the Principals Update.
- The site administrator & POS/BSS should continue to develop the COM to model different scenarios for room uses on campus and determine custodial staff can best be utilized as we transition to reopening.
- See the Reopening Support webpage for more information. For any questions contact Samantha Clabaugh at email@example.com.
- VEBA RESOURCE CENTER & WELLNESS RESOURCES
- Did you know the Virtual VRC has more than 300 classes available from the comfort of your own home and centered about you? There are also sessions for our district employee’s family members.
- Check out the September schedule here and spotlight on September classes.
- ZOOM NOTICE & SECURITY
- Zoom Important Notice - Starting September 27, 2020, all meetings must have either a Waiting Room or Passcode enabled. Click here for more information.
- Please review the Principal Updates from September 4th on Zoom Security Settings.
- STAFF DAILY SYMPTOM CHECK
- RENTALS UPDATE
- Operating SDUSD sites safely during the COVID-19 pandemic will remain the highest priority when facility rentals resume. Please review this UPDATE.
- Please contact Debbie Campbell, Real Estate Services Assistant, at 619-278-6720 or firstname.lastname@example.org if there are any questions from Staff and or renters that need assistance.
- ADDITIONAL TRAINING & SUPPORTS
- We are very excited to hear that sites have reached out to Central Office Departments to request additional training or options for extended professional development following the week-long PD topics.
- During this month, our efforts will be focused on student connections and outreach.
- Central Office Departments will start to coordinate with site staff in October through the Area Superintendent Team.
- If you are interested in bringing any of these opportunities to your site, please inform your Area Superintendent.
- DESIGNATED ELD (dELD) and INTEGRATED ELD (iELD)
- All English Learners must receive dELD and iELD daily.
- Please ensure student schedules reflect the appropriate support and for secondary students, the appropriate classes (ALD or ELD).
- DOUG FISHER VOLUNTARY PD FOR PARAEDUCATORS
- We are happy to extend the invitation for the voluntary Doug Fishers sessions to our paraeducators.
- Please forward the registration information for your cluster to the paraeducators assigned to your site.
- POWERSCHOOL IEP UPDATES
- Please share with your Powerschool IEP users:
- Email Shane Moore with any questions or concerns to email@example.com.
- OTHER NEWS
Cyberattacks Disrupt Learning Even More During COVID-19 (Ed Week, September 14)
First big reform of California’s education funding law awaits governor's signature (Ed Source, September 16)
- MANY ISSUES SHARED BY OUR AFSA SISTER UNION – AFSA LOCAL 1, CSA, NEW YORK CITY REGARDING THE “RETURN TO INSTRUCTION” PLAN
Statement from AFSA Local 1, CSA President Mark Cannizzaro on the New York City DOE’s Instructional Guidance Clarification and Flexibilities:
“Even though today is the first day of remote learning for all New York City students, the City still has no comprehensive, adequate plan for fully staffing our schools. The DOE's last-minute announcement that live instruction is no longer required during remote days for blended learners is obviously an attempt to deal with the staffing crisis that CSA has been warning the DOE about for months. Though an increased focus on in-person learning is necessary due to pressing safety concerns, last night’s decision to change instructional guidance will not solve the most glaring, urgent problem: far too many schools still do not have enough teachers for in-person learning when school buildings reopen for students on Monday.”
- SPECIAL GRATITUDE
If an AASD member has a department or individual that deserves special recognition during this time of crisis, please use the link below for reporting issues/questions/concerns/gratitude to show your gratitude for the department or individual. AASD will publish that special thanks in our next Daily Update.
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE
AASD will be sending out a Daily Update, Monday-Friday, throughout the return to instruction/school reopening period. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with the typical news and information for AASD members. The AASD Office continues to remain closed. AASD staff are working remotely and can be reached via the contact information at the end of this Update.
AASD has created a Google Form for AASD Members to report issues, questions or concerns regarding work-related issues, COVID-19, return to instruction and school reopening. AASD will provide answers to issues, questions or concerns submitted as answers become available. You may also share your gratitude for another AASD member, district personnel, etc., via the same link.
The link to share issues/questions/concerns/gratitude is:
Please do not share this link outside of AASD membership (classified and certificated management/supervisors). The link will be active until this crisis is over.
NOTE: All previous AASD Daily Updates and Weekly Updates are located on the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org if you need to refer back to them for information.
- DISTRICT WEBSITE
For your convenience, the District has created a list of Frequently Asked Questions. To access that list, click the link https://sites.google.com/sandi.net/covid19/staff-info
- AASD CONTACT INFORMATION
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- email@example.com 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.