AASD Weekly Update 9-24-2020
- FROM THE AASD LEGISLATIVE AND POLITICAL AFFAIRS (LAPA) COMMITTEE – ENDORSEMENTS
As you may know, AASD has a Legislative and Political Affairs (LAPA) Committee co-chaired by Marci Lammey (classified) and Erica Renfree (certificated). LAPA makes endorsement recommendations to the AASD Board of Directors for consideration. At this time, LAPA only makes endorsement recommendations for school board elections. For the upcoming election, LAPA has recommended, and the AASD Board of Directors has approved, endorsing Richard Barrera for District D and Dr. Sharon Whitehurst-Payne for District E. AASD is remaining neutral on the race for District A.
AASD is Local 134 under the American Federation of School Administrators (AFSA). While AASD does not endorse candidates for President of the United States, AFSA has made an endorsement that AASD is sharing with our members.
We are living in highly unusual and troubling times. And, while people too often claim an election is the most important in decades, this year it undoubtedly is true.
The election this November offers a stark choice with serious consequences for public education, people who work every day to support their families—and the future of our democracy.
Our shared union values compel us to look out for public education, working conditions in schools and, most importantly, the children we serve in those schools across the country.
We know you are bombarded with political information; we try always to share with you what you need to know to help you make informed choices and decisions.
Based on our platform of policy issues most important to us as AFSA members and school leaders, we are endorsing Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Kamala Harris.
AFSA strives to always provide you with information that will help you make informed choices and decisions regarding your profession and the future of the schools where we work with our community of educators, parents and students.
Biden and Harris are the best advocates for public schools. They believe strongly that a well-funded public education system is vital to our nation. They understand this is not only key for the economic imperative of educating our children to thrive in the competitive global marketplace, but also from a social and emotional standpoint.
The Biden-Harris ticket knows our nation depends on the role public schools play in bringing together a melting pot of students to create a better understanding of one another, especially during these challenging and contentious times.
We appreciate that many of you don’t vote solely on what’s good for our profession or on bread-and-butter issues. You may prioritize other concerns facing you and our nation as more important. That’s your choice in our democratic process, and AFSA will always respect your value system.
But in this extraordinary moment, we ask you to review the candidates’ records on education. Think carefully about the impact your vote can have on the next four years, and on the future of our schools.
Since taking office in January 2017, President Trump along with Betsy DeVos, his secretary of education, have been on a crusade to break public schools and move money to private education corporations that have little accountability to communities, families and students.
On a grand scale, we have seen that model fail across the nation. Yet at every turn, they aggressively push vouchers and charter schools, and we all know how that agenda undermines our work in the communities we serve.
As we struggle with unprecedented challenges at the start of the school year—like nothing we ever imagined possible—we see clearly the tragic consequences of the mismanagement of the coronavirus pandemic in our classrooms and with our children.
The lack of investment in our schools during this COVID-19 crisis, and the demand that schools reopen in a normal fashion, shows just how out of touch this president is on how schools operate.
We have never had a president and education secretary so hostile toward public schools. We now have the opportunity to put champions for public schools in the White House.
Derek W. Black, a law professor at the University of South Carolina, punctuated this point this year when he wrote, “Trump’s ‘education freedom’ plan is an attack on public schools. That’s un-American. Trump and DeVos are peddling a dangerous vision of private education and individual freedom that undermines a fundamental pillar of our democracy.”
With Election Day just weeks away, we ask you to look at the candidates’ records. When you do, you will clearly see the difference on public education. With that knowledge, we urge you to vote for the Biden-Harris ticket.
To learn more about the candidates’ record on education, visit www.theschoolleader.org/vote2020.
In solidarity, Ernest Logan, President, AFSA
- A MESSAGE FROM CALIFORNIA CASUALTY
Get your quote today! California Casualty is saying ‘thank you’ for your service to school administrators and support staff! The AASD/ACSA sponsored Auto, Home & Renters Insurance Program offers competitive member-only rates and generous discounts! Bundling your policies will also help you save with Multi-Policy and Multi-Car Discounts. Each policy includes special benefits for educators: $0 deductible vandalism or collision to vehicle while parked on campus, free ID Theft Protection, Pet Injury Coverage, an E-Z monthly pay plan option, and more... For a limited time, California Casualty is offering a $25 Amazon.com gift card to say ‘thank you’ for completing an auto quote.
- JOB OPPORTUNITY FOR AN EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR SHARED BY COLLABORATIONS: TEACHERS AND ARTISTS (COTA)
Collaborations: Teachers and Artists (CoTA) is seeking an Executive Director who is a visionary, dynamic leader who thrives in a collaborative environment. Please click here for the job description for additional information.
- NEGOTIATED HOTLINE FOR AASD MEMBERS IS UP AND RUNNING!
In the Return to Instruction MOU, AASD negotiated the following language:
The District will establish a “hotline” available to AASD unit members and other management who are charged with enforcing the health and safety policies and procedures where they can call or e-mail and get immediate assistance when conflicts arise, clarification is needed, or decisions must be made regarding health and safety matters. This hotline will be available on all District workdays, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and will be staffed with a person in authority who has the capability to make decisions or who has direct access to those who can make decisions. In the rare event that a message must be left, all calls will be returned promptly, within the same day.
As of September 17, the Hotline is up and running. AASD is pleased to announce that our AASD member, Brian Kenworthy, who is a classified manager (Operations Specialist) is the voice on the other end of the hotline. Many of you know Brian as he has worked for the district for 18 years in departments such as Human Resources, Summer School/ESY, Leadership and Learning, Labor Relations, Office of the Superintendent and the Charter School Office. Brian will be a great resource for our members and is a well-respected manager. Thank you, Brian!
This hotline is for ALL AASD represented members, both classified and certificated. The Hotline phone number is (619) 981-0760.
- REQUEST TO PRINCIPALS FROM A FORMER AASD MEMBER
AASD received the following message from a former member: My name is Milton Martin Jr. I’m a former AASD member and school administrator. I am currently a doctoral candidate working on my PhD at GCU. My study is "Self-talk as a Strategy for Managing Job-Related Stressors and Mitigating Job Strain of School Principals." (IRB # - 2020-2504)
I would like to ask if any principals in AASD would volunteer to participate in this study. All participants’ information is kept confidential and handled with strict research protocol.
Thank you for your time and consideration. If any principal has questions and/or needs more information about the study, or is interested in helping me by participating, please contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call me at (619) 800-4538.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-Represented CERTIFICATED Job Postings
None at this time
AASD-Represented CLASSIFIED Job Postings
None at this time.
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
AASD extends our sincere condolences to AASD member in good standing, Veronica Ortega, Operations Specialist, and her husband, Michael, on the death of Michael’s mother. Our thoughts are with you during this difficult time.
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE. The AASD office remains closed, until further notice. The Daily Update will continue to answer any questions and address any of your concerns with regard to school closures, return to instruction and COVID-19 updates. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with a variety of news and information for AASD members.
- IMPORTANT - PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If you know of a colleague that is not receiving the Update, or if your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org.
- FLU SHOT - AT NO COST!
- SDUSD District Wellness Council encourages you to please share this information with your fellow colleagues!
- As VEBA members, SDUSD benefited employees and their families can receive a flu shot, at no cost, through any of the following resources: VEBA-Flu Shots 2020, Kaiser Special Clinic, Kaiser & UHC Locations.
- For additional questions, you may contact VEBA Advocacy at 888-276-0250.
- UNION PLUS - MONEY-SAVING PROGRAMS FOR AFSA MEMBERS! AFSA membership is provided to all AASD Members in Good Standing at no additional cost. For more information regarding AFSA and Union Plus benefits, please visit their website: https://www.theschoolleader.org/
IMPORTANT: For Members in Good Standing and Affiliate Members who have added AFSA -- If you have not turned in the “Combined AFSA Benefits Information Form,” please submit the form immediately. This form must be submitted in order to be eligible for the professional liability, legal services, etc. You do not need to list your full social security number on the form; however, AFSA has requested that you provide at least the last four digits. For a copy of the form, click here
For all our Members in Good Standing, and Affiliates and Retirees who have selected to be members of AFSA, there are many money-saving programs offered to you. Click here to review your many options!
- FROM RANCH EVENTS – DINNERS THAT FEED UP TO 6 PEOPLE FOR $25
Tired of cooking? As many of you know, all of the AASD events at Marina Village and Scottish Rite Center are catered by Ranch Events. They make and serve delicious meals! Ranch Events has opened their kitchen at the Scottish Rite Event Center (in Mission Valley) for “take out” meals that feed up to 4-5 adults and 1-2 children for $25! Such a deal. And delicious, home style cooked meals. The website is above, meals can be ordered in advance or the order can be placed on the same day, as long as it is placed by 12 noon that day. Pick up times are 3:00 PM to 5:30 PM each day at the Scottish Rite Event Center in Mission Valley. In addition, Ranch Events has just added a family meal pick up during the lunch hour. This is a great way to take a night off from cooking and still be able to feed your family at a reasonable price. They also have individual vegetarian meals, soups and desserts as “add-ons.” AASD has partnered with Ranch Events for many years and we are pleased they are able to bring some staff back to work. Feel free to share this information with anyone you wish to. Many of our AASD members have tried the meals and the feedback has been positive.
- IMPORTANT – ELECTRONIC LINK AVAILABLE! FILL OUT YOUR AASD MEMBERSHIP RECOMMITMENT FORM NOW! This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to Affiliate members or Retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the google form (link below). This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Some of you have already filled out the new membership form over the past year – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again. If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member, please Click here.
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- AASD WEBSITE. Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail email@example.com with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD has a partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 19th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
- MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA).
There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout. (click on link) Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please click on link for information on applying via the website.
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
The Benefits Portal - In addition to discounts and specials, BenefitHub also offers CASH BACK on some products and services! Get to know the benefit portal by visiting the BenefitHub website. The site is very user friendly. It is easy to do a search under various headings and categories, including Newest, Most Popular, Local Deals, Health and Wellness and Pay Over Time, just to name a few.
Benefit Hub Service - Gift Card Outlet - Save up to 15% on gift cards from over 70 popular merchants. The NEW Gift Card Outlet is in the Discount Marketplace.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- AASD Contact Information During the District Closure:
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- email@example.com 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- email@example.com
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily and Weekly Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.