DAILY UPDATE #138 -- 10/08/2020
- NEW ITEMS
- Q and A (Thursday, October 8, 2020)
Q: The district has requested that all drinking fountains be secured at school sites. There is no accessible drinking water. Why is the district not providing drinking water for the employees that are at these district school sites each day?
A: (Answer provided by AASD) See District Communications below for information about drinking water.
Q: I don’t feel safe at all returning to the school site as an administrator for Phase 1. I know principals aren’t required to be on campus but our staff wants our support during this very challenging time so I stuck in the middle of keeping myself safe and supporting my staff.
A: (Answer provided by AASD) As you know, the AASD MOU does not require that AASD represented principals or vice principals be on campus during Phase One Appointment Based Instruction. The MOU allows the principal to designate an administrative designee. The principal is still the leader of the campus and may handle all but physical emergency matters remotely. If a principal does not feel comfortable being physically on campus, AASD believes that all leadership duties can be done remotely (minus an actual onsite emergency). It is understandable that principals may find themselves torn on whether or not to physically report to campus and AASD understands it is a hard decision to make. Please make the decision that is best for you personally and for your family.
- DISTRICT COMMUNICATIONS
The following communication was sent from the district to principals on October 7:
- DRINKING WATER
- PPO has secured drinking fountains across the district to help reduce the possible spread of COVID-19 and is in the process of procuring and installing bottle fillers at each site.
- Once complete, staff and students are encouraged to bring their own water/water bottles from home.
- To ensure staff and students have available drinking water as we start Phase 1, cases of bottled water are being delivered to all elementary schools that do not yet have bottle fillers on campus.
- The water is intended for consumption while on campus, not as a take home item.
- For more information, please contact John Hensley.
- PPO UPDATE: CLASSROOM VENTILATION AND AIR PURIFIERS
- Please review this information regarding classroom ventilation and the use of air purifiers for Phase 1.
- ELEMENTARY UPDATES
- Elementary Math
- All are invited to attend Elementary Math Professional Learning: October 20, November 10, and December 8.
- In the first session, (Oct 20th, 2-3 pm), we will be exploring the use of the digital toolbox and how it can be used to help students make sense of mathematics.
- RSVP for our first event here!
- Special Education Updates for ECSE Teachers/Service Providers
- ECSE services will be supported through district Early Learning programs.
- For students enrolled outside the district in private schools, families would receive an offer of FAPE that aligns with the student’s service needs. A student’s IEP should not be written to a particular program, but rather according to the needs of the child. The various Early Learning programs would then be considered based on needs that may include, Preschool Language Groups (PLG), general education-part day blended and TK/4, as well as ECSE separate setting classrooms.
- Families submit an online application via Neighborhood Schools and Enrollment Options-School Mint Application.
- Special Education assessments for preschool students are administered at the individual school site and mirrors TK-6.
- Intake packets will be forwarded to individual school sites that had been collected in spring 2020. Students are either enrolled through TK/4 or the Part Day Blended program.
- SECONDARY UPDATES
- Secondary Math
- SPECIAL GRATITUDE
If an AASD member has a department or individual that deserves special recognition during this time of crisis, please use the link below for reporting issues/questions/concerns/gratitude to show your gratitude for the department or individual. AASD will publish that special thanks in our next Daily Update.
Susan Park, AASD Member is Good Standing shared the following gratitude: “Veronica Ortega, Operations Specialist, SDUSD Office of Secondary Schools, is awesome. Veronica is always responsive, pleasant, and knowledgeable in solving problems, answering questions, and developing systems to prevent repeat issues. The way Veronica communicates is appreciated, even more so during these busy and challenging times. Veronica's positive energy is contagious.”
- OTHER NEWS
How schools are navigating privacy concerns in COVID-19 contact tracing (Education Dive, October 5)
California school districts spurn Trump food box letter (including quotes from Superintendent Marten) (Politico, October 7)
- AASD/DISTRICT "HOTLINE" INFORMATION
The hotline established with the District is available to AASD unit members and other management who are charged with enforcing the health and safety policies and procedures. Call the hotline when you need immediate assistance when conflicts arise, clarification is needed, or decisions must be made regarding health and safety matters.
This hotline is for ALL AASD represented members, both classified and certificated. The hotline phone number is (619) 981-0760. The hotline is available on all District workdays, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. In the rare event that a message must be left, all calls will be returned promptly, within the same day.
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE
AASD will be sending out a Daily Update, Monday-Friday, throughout the return to instruction/school reopening period. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with the typical news and information for AASD members. The AASD Office continues to remain closed. AASD staff are working remotely and can be reached via the contact information at the end of this Update.
AASD has created a Google Form for AASD Members to report issues, questions or concerns regarding work-related issues, COVID-19, return to instruction and school reopening. AASD will provide answers to issues, questions or concerns submitted as answers become available. You may also share your gratitude for another AASD member, district personnel, etc., via the same link.
The link to share issues/questions/concerns/gratitude is:
Please do not share this link outside of AASD membership (classified and certificated management/supervisors). The link will be active until this crisis is over.
NOTE: All previous AASD Daily Updates and Weekly Updates are located on the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org if you need to refer back to them for information.
- DISTRICT WEBSITE
For your convenience, the District has created a list of Frequently Asked Questions. To access that list, click the link https://sites.google.com/sandi.net/covid19/staff-info
- AASD CONTACT INFORMATION
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- email@example.com 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.