AASD Weekly Update 10-29-2020
- AASD MEMBER SURVEY REGARDING UPCOMING PHASES OF REOPENING
The AASD bargaining teams would like input from all AASD Members in Good Standing. We will be entering into bargaining at an upcoming date and we want to hear from our members. In order to take the survey, you will need to review the district’s PowerPoint (link below) on the upcoming phases of school reopening/return to onsite instruction. Remember the PowerPoint is the district’s draft plan – many aspects must be negotiated with the various unions. As of the press conference on Tuesday, we know the District’s plan is to expand phase 1 to select secondary students and begin phase 2 for elementary student after winter break on January 4 and for secondary students on January 25.
Link to Phased Implementation
Once you have reviewed the proposed plan for the phases, then please take the survey below so that AASD has your input. The survey closes on November 1 at 10pm.
AASD Bargaining Teams:
Donis Coronel, Chief Negotiator
Patti Burch, Official Notetaker
Certificated Bargaining Team:
Scott Thomason, Principal, CPMA Middle (Bargaining Chair)
Kristin Makena, Program Manager, SPED
Jonathan McDade, Principal, Correia Middle
Ernie Remillard, Principal, Mission Bay High
Lauren Robinson, Principal, Hawthorne Elementary
Niecy Watkins, Principal, Jerabek Elementary
Classified Bargaining Team:
Jesus Montana, Sergeant, School Police (Bargaining Chair)
Bill Cheney, Area Supervisor, Food Services
Bryan Ehm, Manager, Physical Plant Operations
Brian Kenworthy, Operations Specialist, Charter Schools/Leadership and Learning
Lumumba Mushonga, Supervising Rehabilitation Specialist, MHRC
- IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO ALL AASD MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
While AASD does not know when Phase 2 will begin, it is likely that school site employees will be required to physically return to the school site. Currently there are certain departments where employees are required to report (Food Services, Custodial, Landscape, etc.) The reality is that there will be a point where all employees at school sites will be expected to return to the physical site.
If any AASD member (assigned to a school site or department that is currently being required to report or will be required to report to work once Phase 2 is implemented) will not be able to return to the physical work site (school or department) for various reasons (ill, underlying medical condition preventing return to site before a vaccine is available, caring for family members who are in a high risk category, childcare, etc.), NOW IS THE TIME TO START THE PROCESS WITH HUMAN RESOURCES FOR ANY SORT OF SOLUTION/POSSIBLE ADA ACCOMMODATION. The purpose of ADA is to find solutions for the employee to be able to report to work. If you are in this category where you cannot report to the physical work site now or at a future date, please contact Donis Coronel, Executive Director, AASD (email email@example.com or 619-813-8792) and she will help you and support you through this process. The time to start this process is NOW in order to have a timely resolution.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT
AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-Represented CERTIFICATED Job Postings
Director, Teaching and Learning Support Closes 11/8
Director, Instructional Technology Closes 11/8
AASD-Represented CLASSIFIED Job Postings
None at this time.
- THE ANNUAL SDUSD EMPLOYEE BENEFITS OPEN ENROLLMENT HAS BEGUN!
Open enrollment is October 19 through November 13, 2020. There are no new plan options for 2021 and no significant changes to the plans. However, employees or retirees who wish to make changes in their plan selections or renew/start a Flexible Spending Account must do so during this time period.
Also, free flu shots are available at no cost. Visit KP.org/flu (Kaiser) or uhc.com/flu (United Health Care) for more information.
To reach the Employee Benefits Department call 619-725-8130 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PAYROLL IMPLEMENTATION OF COVID LEAVES
The following message went from Payroll to timekeepers. By reviewing the forms (linked below) the various types of leaves that can be taken related to COVID are explained. This is very helpful in learning what leaves and what pay is available in the event any employee is out due to being ill with COVID, exposed to COVID, in a high risk category, living with someone in a high risk category or with childcare issues related to COVID closures.
From Payroll, October 20
Good Morning Timekeepers,
The Payroll Department would like to thank you for your continued patience as we work to provide sites with information and instructions regarding timekeeping for the Families First Coronavirus Response Act.
The attached timekeeping document provides the new time reporting/earnings codes that have been created for reporting absences specifically for the Emergency Paid Sick Leave Act (EPSLA) and the Emergency Family and Medical Leave Expansion Act (EFMLEA). Please review this document carefully.
The Certification/Request forms that employees must complete in order to request leave are also attached. Please follow the instructions, and forward to the appropriate departments or retain at the site for auditing purposes.
For instances where time needs to be reported and the timekeeping deadline has passed, please contact your Payroll Specialist so that they can work with you to pull the absences onto the open payroll. You can find the most updated contact list on the Payroll website with each specialist's email address.
This has been a challenging year for all of us, and it is encouraging to see so many of us working together in order to move forward during this most difficult time. Payroll would like to express our gratitude to each and every one of you for your perseverance and continued support!
The Payroll Department
- INTRODUCING THE NEW UNION PLUS ALL-IN ONE PREPAID VISA CARD. SIMPLE TO GET, EASY TO USE - JUST IN TIME.
Life can change overnight. Suddenly, we’re keeping safe social distances and things that were once commonplace — such as paying cash at the register — are no longer accepted.
In response to the many hardships created by our new reality and economic landscape, Union Plus is pleased to introduce the Union Plus All-in-One Prepaid Visa® Card. This card can help your members gain financial independence and develop positive spending habits while offering exclusive, union member protections.
Union Plus All-In-One Prepaid Visa® Card is accepted everywhere Visa Debit is accepted, is Federally-insured, and:
- You are eligible, with no bank account, credit check1 or account minimum
- Easily manage your card through your mobile phone, tablet or computer
- Get your money automatically deposited and enjoy being paid up to 2 days earlier2
- Eliminate banking fees and overdrafts caused by overspending3
- You can access cash from more than 32,000 surcharge-free MoneyPass ATMs nationwide
- Exclusive benefits for union members:
- Guaranteed Issue Term Life Insurance4
Guaranteed issue term life insurance is a game-changer for families who struggle with the unexpected financial impacts of losing a loved-one.
- Mobile Device Protection — includes phone, tablet and hotspot5
The cost of replacing a mobile device for most working people can be a struggle. We’re here to remove that unnecessary financial burden with our mobile device protection plan.
- No credit checks.1 No activation fees. No overdraft fees.3
It is an all-in-all smart move. GET ALL-IN-ONE NOW
- COVID-19 TESTING AVAILABLE FOR ALL SDUSD EMPLOYEES – IF YOU ARE REPORTING TO A SCHOOL SITE/WORK SITE, PLEASE CONSIDER TESTING.
Any employee of SDUSD can receive a COVID test at the four sites listed below. If any employee is reporting to a school/work site, they are encouraged to take advantage of testing to help ensure everyone is safe and healthy. There is no cost for this testing. It is recommended that all employees returning to a physical site be tested every two weeks. The testing is available for all SDUSD employees.
Metro Region School Personnel Testing Site Harold J. Ballard Parent Center (2375 Congress St., San Diego, CA 92110) Operates Tuesday-Saturday from 11:30 am to 7 pm
East County School Personnel Testing Site Mollison Complex (301 N. Mollison Ave., El Cajon, CA 92021) Operates Monday-Friday from 10:30 am to 6 pm
North County School Personnel Testing Site Del Mar Fairgrounds (2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd., Del Mar, CA 92014) Use the Fire Entrance at the Fairgrounds. Operates Monday-Friday from 10:30 am to 6 pm
South County School Personnel Testing Site, 650 L St., Chula Vista, CA 91911. Operates Monday-Friday from 10:30 am to 6 pm
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE. The AASD office remains closed, and staff are working remotely, until further notice.. The Daily Update will continue to answer any questions and address any of your concerns with regard to school closures, return to instruction and COVID-19 updates. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with a variety of news and information for AASD members.
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
- DROP OFF LOCATIONS FOR MAIL-IN BALLOTS.
Please click on the link for the drop off locations for mail-in ballots for the very important upcoming election. Click here for locations.
- NEGOTIATED HOTLINE FOR AASD MEMBERS IS UP AND RUNNING!
In the Return to Instruction MOU, AASD negotiated the following language:
The District will establish a “hotline” available to AASD unit members and other management who are charged with enforcing the health and safety policies and procedures where they can call or e-mail and get immediate assistance when conflicts arise, clarification is needed, or decisions must be made regarding health and safety matters. This hotline will be available on all District workdays, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and will be staffed with a person in authority who has the capability to make decisions or who has direct access to those who can make decisions. In the rare event that a message must be left, all calls will be returned promptly, within the same day.
As of September 17, the Hotline is up and running. AASD is pleased to announce that our AASD member, Brian Kenworthy, who is a classified manager (Operations Specialist) is the voice on the other end of the hotline. Many of you know Brian as he has worked for the district for 18 years in departments such as Human Resources, Summer School/ESY, Leadership and Learning, Labor Relations, Office of the Superintendent and the Charter School Office. Brian will be a great resource for our members and is a well-respected manager. Thank you, Brian!
This hotline is for ALL AASD represented members, both classified and certificated. The Hotline phone number is (619) 981-0760.
- IMPORTANT - PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If you know of a colleague that is not receiving the Update, or if your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org.
- UNION PLUS - MONEY-SAVING PROGRAMS FOR AFSA MEMBERS! AFSA membership is provided to all AASD Members in Good Standing at no additional cost. For more information regarding AFSA and Union Plus benefits, please visit their website: https://www.theschoolleader.org/
IMPORTANT: For Members in Good Standing and Affiliate Members who have added AFSA -- If you have not turned in the “Combined AFSA Benefits Information Form,” please submit the form immediately. This form must be submitted in order to be eligible for the professional liability, legal services, etc. You do not need to list your full social security number on the form; however, AFSA has requested that you provide at least the last four digits. For a copy of the form, click here
For all our Members in Good Standing, and Affiliates and Retirees who have selected to be members of AFSA, there are many money-saving programs offered to you. Click here to review your many options!
- FROM RANCH EVENTS – DINNERS THAT FEED UP TO 6 PEOPLE FOR $25
Tired of cooking? As many of you know, all of the AASD events at Marina Village and Scottish Rite Center are catered by Ranch Events. They make and serve delicious meals! Ranch Events has opened their kitchen at the Scottish Rite Event Center (in Mission Valley) for “take out” meals that feed up to 4-5 adults and 1-2 children for $25! Such a deal. And delicious, home style cooked meals. The website is above, meals can be ordered in advance or the order can be placed on the same day, as long as it is placed by 12 noon that day. Pick up times are 3:00 PM to 5:30 PM each day at the Scottish Rite Event Center in Mission Valley. In addition, Ranch Events has just added a family meal pick up during the lunch hour. This is a great way to take a night off from cooking and still be able to feed your family at a reasonable price. They also have individual vegetarian meals, soups and desserts as “add-ons.” AASD has partnered with Ranch Events for many years and we are pleased they are able to bring some staff back to work. Feel free to share this information with anyone you wish to. Many of our AASD members have tried the meals and the feedback has been positive.
- IMPORTANT – ELECTRONIC LINK AVAILABLE! FILL OUT YOUR AASD MEMBERSHIP RECOMMITMENT FORM NOW! This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to Affiliate members or Retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the google form (link below). This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Some of you have already filled out the new membership form over the past year – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again. If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member, please Click here.
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- AASD WEBSITE. Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail email@example.com with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD has a partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 19th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
- MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA).
There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout. (click on link) Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please click on link for information on applying via the website.
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
The Benefits Portal - In addition to discounts and specials, BenefitHub also offers CASH BACK on some products and services! Get to know the benefit portal by visiting the BenefitHub website. The site is very user friendly. It is easy to do a search under various headings and categories, including Newest, Most Popular, Local Deals, Health and Wellness and Pay Over Time, just to name a few.
Benefit Hub Service - Gift Card Outlet - Save up to 15% on gift cards from over 70 popular merchants. The NEW Gift Card Outlet is in the Discount Marketplace.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- AASD Contact Information During the District Closure:
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- email@example.com 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- email@example.com
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily and Weekly Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.