DAILY UPDATE #155 -- 11/03/2020
- NEW ITEMS
- ELECTION DAY 2020
AASD hopes that all AASD Members in Good Standing, Affiliate Members and Retired Members exercised their right as an American Citizen to VOTE. The polls are open in San Diego until 8:00 PM today, November 3. It’s not too late!
As a reminder, AASD endorsed school board candidates Richard Barrera and Sharon Whitehurst-Payne for SDUSD school board. Our national affiliate, the American Federation of School Administrators (AFSA) endorsed Biden/Harris for President/Vice President.
- DISTRICT COMMUNICATION
The following communication was sent to principals on November 2:
- VEBA - NOVEMBER RESOURCE CALENDAR
- EXTENDED SCHOOL YEAR SERVICES
- STANDARDS-BASED GRADING POLICY - INPUT SESSIONS
- As part of the follow-up for the implementation of the Standards-Based Grading Policy and the Restorative Discipline Policy, we will be conducting a series of input sessions to revise the grading comments within PowerSchool and further define the role of the adult "champion." Below are the dates and times for the input sessions:
- Dec. 1st, 2pm - 3pm: Elementary Grading Comments
- Dec. 2nd, 1pm - 2:30pm: Secondary Grading Comments
- Dec. 10th, 2:30pm - 4pm: Adult "Champion" role
- Jan. 11th, 2:30 - 4pm: Adult "Champion" site-level implementation
- If you are interested in being part of any of the above input sessions, please email Nicole DeWitt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ELEMENTARY UPDATES
Considerations for Standards-Based Grading/Learning Contracts/Report Cards
- At last our Operation Meeting, we discussed providing support for sites regarding standards-based grading during online learning. In consideration of scheduling and being able to provide the information for both principals and teachers, we created a screencast as a resource for you.
- Please review the screencast as it will be sent to teachers in the Educator’s Update as well. You may also choose to send the link to your teachers directly.
- The screencast (approximately 18 minutes) includes:
- A brief interview with Doug Fisher
- An overview of Standards-Based Progress Reporting and Information (8:27)
- The purpose and content of the Learning Contract (11:47)
- Considerations for the complexities of the Retention Policy during online learning (14:36)
- Here is the link to the Screencast Video and ink to Presentation Slides.
- SECONDARY UPDATES
Standards-Based Grading: Entry Points
- The following slide deck was created to assist principals in leading discussions around standards-based grading and next steps with their teams: SBG: Entry Points
- The slide deck will immediately force copy so that each principal can adjust to fit their needs.
- Key “entry points” for implementing standards-based grading are included.
- Sites can utilize the slide deck to examine where there are now, what steps can be taken first, and how to build upon those initial steps throughout the year.
- OTHER NEWS
More than 61,000 children got COVID-19 last week, a record (NBC News, November 2)
A Person Born in 1900 Experienced These Events – a short video eye-opener (Diane Ravitch, November 3)
- AASD/DISTRICT "HOTLINE" INFORMATION
The hotline established with the District is available to AASD unit members and other management who are charged with enforcing the health and safety policies and procedures. Call the hotline when you need immediate assistance when conflicts arise, clarification is needed, or decisions must be made regarding health and safety matters.
This hotline is for ALL AASD represented members, both classified and certificated. The hotline phone number is (619) 981-0760. The hotline is available on all District workdays, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. In the rare event that a message must be left, all calls will be returned promptly, within the same day.
- SPECIAL GRATITUDE
If an AASD member has a department or individual that deserves special recognition during this time of crisis, please use the link below for reporting issues/questions/concerns/gratitude to show your gratitude for the department or individual. AASD will publish that special thanks in our next Daily Update.
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE
AASD will be sending out a Daily Update, Monday-Friday, throughout the return to instruction/school reopening period. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with the typical news and information for AASD members. The AASD Office continues to remain closed. AASD staff are working remotely and can be reached via the contact information at the end of this Update.
AASD has created a Google Form for AASD Members to report issues, questions or concerns regarding work-related issues, COVID-19, return to instruction and school reopening. AASD will provide answers to issues, questions or concerns submitted as answers become available. You may also share your gratitude for another AASD member, district personnel, etc., via the same link.
The link to share issues/questions/concerns/gratitude is:
Please do not share this link outside of AASD membership (classified and certificated management/supervisors). The link will be active until this crisis is over.
NOTE: All previous AASD Daily Updates and Weekly Updates are located on the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org if you need to refer back to them for information.
- DISTRICT WEBSITE
For your convenience, the District has created a list of Frequently Asked Questions. To access that list, click the link https://sites.google.com/sandi.net/covid19/staff-info
- AASD CONTACT INFORMATION
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- email@example.com 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- email@example.com
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.