DAILY UPDATE #158 -- 11/06/2020
- NEW ITEMS
- Q and A (Friday, November 6, 2020)
Q: I see that SDEA members may bring their own children on campus during Phase One. Can AASD members bring their own children?
A: (Answer provided by AASD) The district is not presenting AASD with that option. AASD members on school sites are principals, vice principals, instructional coordinators, POS/BSS III, Food Services Supervisors/Area Supervisor. AASD members are required to have confidential conversations, respond to emergencies, handle discipline of other employees and students and these type of things aren’t conducive to having a child in the room as the situation is occurring or taking a child out of an office to accompany the leader on an emergency call. POS/BSSIII and Food Services Supervisors are “in the field” and it would be impossible to manage their own child in that situation.
- DISTRICT COMMUNICATIONS
The following email was sent to all employees from Superintendent Marten on November 5:
Dear San Diego Unified community,
Last month, we began a program to gradually bring some students back on campus, starting with those who are most in need of in-person instruction and assessments. Participation by both students and educators in this first phase of reopening is voluntary.
Yesterday, state officials announced https://www.countynewscenter.com/covid-19-case-rate-lands-county-in-first-week-of-purple-tier/ that the COVID-19 virus is widespread within San Diego County. In technical terms, the Governor has moved our county from the red tier to purple https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/COVID19CountyMonitoringOverview.aspx. If San Diego County remains in the purple tier range for another week, additional restrictions may be placed on schools and businesses.
At this time, we plan to continue with Phase 1 of our reopening plan. We will continue to offer appointment-based, in-person learning for small numbers of our students with the greatest need. This decision is also consistent with the gradual, phased reopening plan created with our panel of UCSD experts in August
The health and safety of our students, parents and employees continue to be our highest priority, as we support all students during the COVID-19 crisis. We hope all San Diegans will wear masks and take other protections to keep the case count low, prevent the county from being fully moved into purple restrictions and allow schools to continue with our careful reopening plans.
Thank you for all you have done already to support our students during this challenging year, and thank you for the continued commitment to public education in San Diego Unified.
Superintendent Cindy Marten
The following communication was sent to principals on November 5:
- LEARNING CONTRACT
- REQUESTS FOR ACCOMMODATION (ADA)
- Many employees have questions about the ADA process. Please see the Disability Accommodation & the ADA Process circular that was posted today.
- The purpose of the circular is to provide guidance to employees on the process to request an ADA Meeting with special attention to questions raised by COVID-19 as employees return to the workplace.
- COMMENTS FROM AASD -- ANY AASD MEMBER WHO IS CONSIDERING INVOKING THE ADA PROCESS IS ENCOURAGED TO CONTACT AASD, DONIS CORONEL, FOR ASSISTANCE PRIOR TO SUBMITTING PAPERWORK.
- ELEMENTARY UPDATES
- Early Learning Programs Update:
- Parent Conferences: All school sites with either a part-day blended preschool program and/or the TK/4 Early Learning program, follow the same parent conference schedule as the school site calendar. Parent conferences (twice annually) for Early Learning are also a state required compliance item for the program.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- SECONDARY UPDATES
- Athletics and Conditioning
- Student Athletes will be coming back to our high schools to condition in preparation for certain CIF Season 1 sports.
- There will be a Zoom meeting on Monday, November 9th, from 2:30-3:30pm to share details of the timeline and phase-in approach the district is taking to support our student athletes:
- The meeting will consist of expectations and things that need to happen before a site can begin conditioning workouts.
- More details will be provided in the Zoom invite that is going out tomorrow to Athletic Directors, Site Principals and Vice Principals who oversee athletics
- Please contact Scott Giusti at email@example.com with questions.
- OTHER NEWS
If SD County moves to purple tier, here’s how schools may be affected (SD Union Tribune, November 6)
Schools That Haven’t Reopened Yet Might Not Get the Chance (VOSD, November 5)
- AASD/DISTRICT "HOTLINE" INFORMATION
The hotline established with the District is available to AASD unit members and other management who are charged with enforcing the health and safety policies and procedures. Call the hotline when you need immediate assistance when conflicts arise, clarification is needed, or decisions must be made regarding health and safety matters.
This hotline is for ALL AASD represented members, both classified and certificated. The hotline phone number is (619) 981-0760. The hotline is available on all District workdays, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. In the rare event that a message must be left, all calls will be returned promptly, within the same day.
- SPECIAL GRATITUDE
If an AASD member has a department or individual that deserves special recognition during this time of crisis, please use the link below for reporting issues/questions/concerns/gratitude to show your gratitude for the department or individual. AASD will publish that special thanks in our next Daily Update.
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE
AASD will be sending out a Daily Update, Monday-Friday, throughout the return to instruction/school reopening period. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with the typical news and information for AASD members. The AASD Office continues to remain closed. AASD staff are working remotely and can be reached via the contact information at the end of this Update.
AASD has created a Google Form for AASD Members to report issues, questions or concerns regarding work-related issues, COVID-19, return to instruction and school reopening. AASD will provide answers to issues, questions or concerns submitted as answers become available. You may also share your gratitude for another AASD member, district personnel, etc., via the same link.
The link to share issues/questions/concerns/gratitude is:
Please do not share this link outside of AASD membership (classified and certificated management/supervisors). The link will be active until this crisis is over.
NOTE: All previous AASD Daily Updates and Weekly Updates are located on the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org if you need to refer back to them for information.
- DISTRICT WEBSITE
For your convenience, the District has created a list of Frequently Asked Questions. To access that list, click the link https://sites.google.com/sandi.net/covid19/staff-info
- AASD CONTACT INFORMATION
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- email@example.com 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.