DAILY UPDATE #185 -- 1/07/2021
- NEW ITEMS
- LETTER TO THE GOVERNOR FROM CA LARGE DISTRICT SUPERINTENDENTS ON REOPENING FUNDING PROPOSAL
- A communication was shared with the community and media yesterday.
- A joint letter was sent to Governor Newson from SDUSD, LAUSD and other big districts. Below is an introduction to the letter from Board President Barrera.
- A copy of this communication will be sent to all district staff and families.
- Dear San Diego Unified community,
As we continue working together to support students and protect our community from the spread of COVID-19, we wanted to provide an important update on developments in Sacramento. Recently, Gov. Gavin Newsom put forward an education plan which could result in millions of dollars in education spending being diverted from San Diego classrooms and into other districts or directed to non-educational purposes. As the Los Angeles Times reported, “It’s entirely possible that low-income schools [like many of those in San Diego Unified] will receive the worst of everything — no new funding, kids still stuck learning from home — while those in more affluent areas open for business and get $450 per student extra to boot.” (Source: Los Angeles Times, Dec. 30, 2020)
Despite these concerns, we are encouraged that the Governor and Sacramento are focused on helping schools reopen in a safe and responsible way. For that reason, we delivered the letter below to the Governor this morning. We want to work with state leaders to provide vaccines to all teachers and other workers required to safely reopen schools for in-person learning. This would be a huge step towards the protection of our community. We are also urging the state to support our testing efforts – another major step towards improved safety.
We continue to monitor the spread of the virus in our community, and we encourage all families to follow public health guidance to protect themselves. Our next update on the timing and steps towards reopening classrooms is scheduled for Jan. 13. Thank you again for all your support at this difficult time.
President, San Diego Unified Board of Education
School Districts' Joint Letter to Gov. Newsom
SD Union Tribune Article (January 6)
10 News (January 6)
- IMPORTANT REGARDING COVID LEAVE
The following message was shared yesterday with Principals. It is important that all employees have this information:
- The Families First Coronavirus Response Act’s (FFCRA), passed by Congress in March 2020, included important paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave benefits. However, these benefits have expired as of December 31, 2020.
- The 2021 Consolidated Appropriations Act (CAA) was recently signed into law; however, it does not provide the same level of leave benefits as the FFCRA. This law instead provides employer tax credits for paid sick leave--which is not particularly useful for public sector employers like SDUSD.
- We are studying the impacts of this new law. Stay tuned for future updates. In the interim, regular leave balances will need to be utilized for any COVID related leave.
- From AASD – What this means is that the 80 hours of COVID leave provided under FFCRA is no longer available to any employee who is absent due to being ill with COVID or is in quarantine. Employees will need to use their own personal leaves. AASD will be in discussions with the district regarding this matter.
- DISTRICT COMMUNICATIONS
The following communication was sent to principals on January 6:
- ONSITE UCSD TESTING UPDATE
- On January 18, we are expanding our testing program by adding 10 new school sites each week.
- The initial 10 pilot sites were chosen in early November based on participation numbers for onsite appointment based learning. We wanted a good sample size for our testing.
- Each identified school site will have a testing day every two weeks.
- We will start with school sites in areas where community COVID infection rates are highest.
- As your site comes up in the schedule for testing, Principals will be notified by email.
- Testing for both students and staff is entirely voluntary.
- We are also training the health office staff for each site to assist families.
- If you have questions, please reach out to your site nurse, health tech or cluster nurse coordinator.
- Please see here for a list of frequently asked questions.
- RFEP FOLLOW UP
- The state requires sites to monitor RFEP (Reclassified Fluent English Proficient) students for four years.
- It is expected that interventions for all RFEP students who are receiving failing grades in core subjects be entered into PowerSchool.
- PARENTS AS PARTNERS
- Please encourage your parents to join us for Parents as Partners session
- Topic: Wellness and Self Care
- January 13, 2021 from 5:30-6:45
- Flyers: English/Spanish
- RESTORATIVE JUSTICE PRACTICES
- The RJP Department has created a new webpage including a Professional Development Calendar.
- Upcoming sessions are open to all employees: administrators, certificated, and classified
- All courses are posted on the Professional Learning (formerly ERO) site. Most sessions have limited capacity, register early to avoid the waitlist.
- For questions, please contact at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BLACK HISTORY MONTH & SAN DIEGO PUBLIC LIBRARY CARD CONTEST
- We are excited to partner with the San Diego Public Library for an awesome Black History Month event and the production of a student-created, limited edition SD Public Library Card celebrating Black JOY, Black history, and Black PRESENCE!
- Please share with all students and families-contest ends January 11, 2021!
- Email Ebonee Weathers (she/her) at email@example.com for more information.
- CALLING ALL ARTISTS, ART TEACHERS, AND BLACK HISTORY AFICIONADOS!
- We are inviting artist/art teacher volunteers to lead a group of young scholars in completing a Black History Month art project through live, virtual instruction (45 minutes-1 hour) the week of 2/22.
- It can be a subject/topic of your choosing (related to Black History), but must be ability-level appropriate for the group(s) you select (PK-3rd, 4th-6th, 7th-12th).
- Materials provided to students in advance.
- Fill out the proposal form to volunteer! (Open to all staff, families, students, community members).
- Email Ebonee Weathers (she/her) at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- SECONDARY UPDATES
- Please plan on joining us to learn more about the McAlister Program and the process of how, when, who, and why – McAlister is the district contracted drug/alcohol/tobacco education program that secondary schools should use in place of suspension (in some instances).
- If you have any questions, please reach out to Sharon Rubalcava, email@example.com.
- JOIN US AS WE CELEBRATE OUR RECENT RETIREES!
AASD will be holding a Zoom celebration tomorrow, Thursday, January 7, 2021, at 4:00 p.m. for all of our Members in Good Standing and Affiliate Members who retired on December 31. The Zoom information is below. For a list of the retirees we will be honoring, refer back to the AASD Weekly Update dated 12/17/2020.
AASD Retiree Celebration Zoom Information:
AASD Retiree Celebration, January 7, 4:00pm
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 829 4933 2778
One tap mobile
+16465588656,,82949332778#,,,,,,0#,,748096# US (New York)
+16699009128,,82949332778#,,,,,,0#,,748096# US (San Jose)
Dial by your location
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington D.C)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
Meeting ID: 829 4933 2778
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/keI84i9GBz
- AASD/DISTRICT "HOTLINE" INFORMATION
The hotline established with the District is available to AASD unit members and other management who are charged with enforcing the health and safety policies and procedures. Call the hotline when you need immediate assistance when conflicts arise, clarification is needed, or decisions must be made regarding health and safety matters.
This hotline is for ALL AASD represented members, both classified and certificated. The hotline phone number is (619) 981-0760. The hotline is available on all District workdays, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. In the rare event that a message must be left, all calls will be returned promptly, within the same day.
- SPECIAL GRATITUDE
If an AASD member has a department or individual that deserves special recognition during this time of crisis, please use the link below for reporting issues/questions/concerns/gratitude to show your gratitude for the department or individual. AASD will publish that special thanks in our next Daily Update.
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE
AASD will be sending out a Daily Update, Monday-Friday, throughout the return to instruction/school reopening period. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with the typical news and information for AASD members. The AASD Office continues to remain closed. AASD staff are working remotely and can be reached via the contact information at the end of this Update.
AASD has created a Google Form for AASD Members to report issues, questions or concerns regarding work-related issues, COVID-19, return to instruction and school reopening. AASD will provide answers to issues, questions or concerns submitted as answers become available. You may also share your gratitude for another AASD member, district personnel, etc., via the same link.
The link to share issues/questions/concerns/gratitude is:
Please do not share this link outside of AASD membership (classified and certificated management/supervisors). The link will be active until this crisis is over.
NOTE: All previous AASD Daily Updates and Weekly Updates are located on the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org if you need to refer back to them for information.
- DISTRICT WEBSITE
For your convenience, the District has created a list of Frequently Asked Questions. To access that list, click the link https://sites.google.com/sandi.net/covid19/staff-info
- AASD CONTACT INFORMATION
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- email@example.com 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.
AASD Board of Directors - http://aasdcs.org/board-of-directors/
AASD Office Staff - http://aasdcs.org/staff/