DAILY UPDATE #201 -- 2/2/2021
- NEW ITEMS
- Q and A (Tuesday, February 2, 2021)
Q: Will SDUSD apply for a waiver to NOT participate in state testing if that becomes available? I really hope so. I feel remote testing will cause more stress and frustration to all stakeholders. I also don’t think it will give us any data that we don’t already have. I feel very worried about this. Thanks for listening.
A: (Answer provided by the District) At this time there is not a waiver available. We are monitoring the state's position on this and will update as information becomes available.
Q: I love the implementation of Central Office Champions as part of the restorative discipline policy. The concept being the central office will take an active role in the implementation of this program at the site level. I noticed the central office has limited their interaction to the 2020-21 school year only. Given the fact we do not expect school to return to traditional operation during the 2020-21 school year and that the total number of discipline events potentially involving a Champion is down due to online learning, wouldn't it make sense for the district to extend the Central Office Champion program to the 2021-22 school year? It seems like this would be a great way to honor the original intent of their involvement.
A: (Answer provided by the District) The original intent of the adult champion was for students to have a trusted adult on campus. As we work towards returning to campus, guidelines and professional development will be shared to help support the implementation of site level champions for the 2021-22 school year. Input sessions for site level champions occurred in December and January and more details about site level champions will be shared soon.
Q: Can you please create and share district organization charts that show the structure of the district, especially all central offices? There have been so many changes and there hasn't been any updated organization charts in several years. Maybe this will help with transparency the district is trying to achieve.
A: (Answer provided by the District) We are currently revising our Quality Service Guide and will share it in the Principal Updates once it is finalized.
- DISTRICT COMMUNICATIONS
The following communication was sent to principals on February 1:
- BLACK HISTORY MONTH CELEBRATIONS
- Today is the first day of Black History Month. We have worked with community partners to provide a variety of activities that teachers, schools, families, and communities can engage in throughout the month.
- All events can be accessed through this link on the district webpage.
- We encourage everyone to participate. We hope teachers and schools will use the links to share their celebrations with us so that we can highlight celebrations across the district.
- EMOTIONAL SUPPORT RESOURCES AVAILABLE FOR CHILDREN, YOUTH AND FAMILIES
- E3 SITE LEADER GOAL WRITING PD
- Don’t miss the E3 Site Leader Goal Writing PD in the next 2 weeks to support your teachers with their goal writing.
- Please complete this Google Form to notify us of who is participating in E3 from your site.
- Share your E3 Google Classroom with your E3 teachers.
- If you have questions, use this Job Aid to add your teachers as “Students” so we can push out assignments.
- E3 OFFICE HOURS FOR SITE ADMINISTRATORS
- E3 Office Hours for Site Administrators to provide you with support and answer any questions that you may have regarding the E3 Process.
- Tuesdays from 2:00 to 3:00 p.m. via Zoom ID# 361 289 6400
- PARAEDUCATOR PD
- ParaEducators are invited to attend PD opportunities during the month of February. Topics included:
- Behavior Support Resources: Executive Functioning
- Instructional Technology: Google Suite
- Restorative Justice Practices: Laying the Foundation-Practice Courage
- ParaEducator Officer Hours
- To register for the courses, please register in Professional Learning or visit the PD Paras Calendar.
- For more information, visit the Para PD Website and/or contact Amanda Hale.
- OTHER NEWS
Teachers up next for vaccinations; should those now in classroom go first? (SD Union Tribune, February 2)
LAUSD considers adding 10 days to school year (EdSource, February 1)
- AASD/DISTRICT "HOTLINE" INFORMATION
The hotline established with the District is available to AASD unit members and other management who are charged with enforcing the health and safety policies and procedures. Call the hotline when you need immediate assistance when conflicts arise, clarification is needed, or decisions must be made regarding health and safety matters.
This hotline is for ALL AASD represented members, both classified and certificated. The hotline phone number is (619) 981-0760. The hotline is available on all District workdays, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. In the rare event that a message must be left, all calls will be returned promptly, within the same day.
- SPECIAL GRATITUDE
If an AASD member has a department or individual that deserves special recognition during this time of crisis, please use the link below for reporting issues/questions/concerns/gratitude to show your gratitude for the department or individual. AASD will publish that special thanks in our next Daily Update.
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE
AASD will be sending out a Daily Update, Monday-Friday, throughout the return to instruction/school reopening period. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with the typical news and information for AASD members. The AASD Office continues to remain closed. AASD staff are working remotely and can be reached via the contact information at the end of this Update.
AASD has created a Google Form for AASD Members to report issues, questions or concerns regarding work-related issues, COVID-19, return to instruction and school reopening. AASD will provide answers to issues, questions or concerns submitted as answers become available. You may also share your gratitude for another AASD member, district personnel, etc., via the same link.
The link to share issues/questions/concerns/gratitude is:
Please do not share this link outside of AASD membership (classified and certificated management/supervisors). The link will be active until this crisis is over.
NOTE: All previous AASD Daily Updates and Weekly Updates are located on the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org if you need to refer back to them for information.
- DISTRICT WEBSITE
For your convenience, the District has created a list of Frequently Asked Questions. To access that list, click the link https://sites.google.com/sandi.net/covid19/staff-info
- AASD CONTACT INFORMATION
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- email@example.com 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.