DAILY UPDATE #207 -- 2/10/2021
- NEW ITEMS
- FEEDBACK FROM TODAY’S MEETING FOR PRINCIPALS/VICE PRINCIPALS REGARDING ADDITIONAL SERVICES DURING PHASE ONE
Thank you to all members who reached out to AASD Executive Director, Donis Coronel, during the meeting, with their concerns regarding the roll out of additional services for Phase One. Donis received quite a bit of input from members concerned about the implementation timeline for the additional services and was in immediate contact during the meeting with Chief of Staff Dr. Sofia Roditti. Based on principal/vice principal input/concerns, shared by AASD with Dr. Roditti, and the comments in the meeting chat, the District agreed during the meeting to move the expectation for implementation from February 17 to February 22. While there are still many issues to work through, the additional days for implementation were necessary and appreciated. Dr. Roditti also clarified at the end of the meeting that while there are “bumpers,” there is flexibility in terms of site to site implementation and that it is reasonable to roll this out in manageable segments.
AASD does not yet have a signed Agreement with the District regarding the additional services in Phase One. We have been at the bargaining table but have not signed off yet. More information to come.
Additionally, the District must bargain with the other unions (particularly CSEA) regarding whether or not attendance of the employee on campus is voluntary or not. This is not a subject of AASD bargaining. We can not bargain the working conditions of non-AASD represented members.
- DISTRICT COMMUNICATIONS
The following communication was sent to principals on February 9:
- DISTRICT - SDEA JOINT STATEMENT ON GRADING
- SDEA and SDUSD have had the chance to engage in discussions around the District’s new grading policy. The revised District grading policy establishes that:
- Educators will create opportunities for revision and reassessment.
- Educators will determine the type, quantity and form of revisions and reassessments based on their content area.
- Educators may determine which assignments will have a grace period for all students and the length of the grace period per assignment.
- Due dates for class assignments, late submissions, revisions and reassessments will also be established by the educator in order to allow for enough time to enter scores into the final grade.
- The District's focus continues to be on educating the whole child and providing quality, standards-based instruction for each child in every neighborhood.
- For more information, please see the Standards-Based Grading FAQ.
- PRINCIPAL INSTITUTE #3 FEBRUARY 17, 2021 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Keynote speaker: Zaretta Hammond, author of Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain.
- To prepare for the Institute, principals are asked to please:
- Invite vice principals and up to 3 educators by sharing the invite with registration link.
- Have invited educators complete this form by February 11th.
- Register for the institute - Registration Link
- Set up your own site’s Zoom Room. We will have time for a site debrief 10:00-10:30 am.
- Click here for more information.
- CLASSROOM EQUIPMENT - WEBCAMS AND TRIPODS
- Over a month ago, every site received a webcam, cable, and tripod for each Core classroom to support teaching from the site.
- In Wednesday’s Teacher Update page, teachers will receive documentation and sample videos for connecting the classroom webcams to laptops for teaching online.
- We anticipate teachers might begin to request access to these materials.
- Here are instructions on how to connect the webcam and project through Zoom.
- For questions or support, please contact Julie Garcia at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ELEMENTARY UPDATES
VAPA’s Arts Education Project (AEP)
- The VAPA’s Arts Education Project (AEP) provides elementary schools a service that combines regular grade-level PLC collaboration time for teachers with Visual and Performing Arts learning for students.
- AEP provides each grade level team a ½ day of PLC release time while their students receive a ½ day of VAPA learning either once or twice a month throughout the school year.
- AEP is a TK-5 program open to all San Diego Unified Elementary schools. Principals, start here.
- The following email was sent to Building Services Supervisors and Plant Operations Supervisors from Custodial Services. Note that although it states “starting next week,” the District agreed to February 22 implementation:
Continual change is a common thread with the ongoing pandemic requirements, guidelines and procedures. Your hard work and efforts are greatly appreciated in these challenging times.
More students will return to campus as the district transitions to an expanded phase one. This is work that was discussed with your principals earlier today. You can expect more students on site, for longer periods of time, starting next week.
In addition, students that stay on site into the afternoon will be provided a box lunch. In order to remain safe, meals are to be consumed outdoors with a minimum of 6 feet physical distancing between students. Also, note for now we will continue operating our 77 Grab & Go food distribution sites, so the box lunches for students on campus will be delivered daily to your site’s kitchen and you will need to provide access for storage and distribution purposes. Delivery drivers are required to check-in at all sites, and contact will be made at that time for kitchen access requests.
It is also a good time to make sure your site is ready – ensure you have a plan, supplies are in place, PPE is available, signage is up, ventilation is good, drinking fountains secured (shut-off and taped), bottle fillers are flushed, etc. Not all classrooms will be used, focus on those that will be.
Based on changes to health and safety guidelines, classrooms, restrooms, and occupied workspaces will be cleaned daily (in lieu of disinfected daily), and will only be disinfected in accordance with current guidance (e.g.- if a COVID positive person occupied the room or there was a potential COVID exposure that resulted in quarantine). Please contact your CSS if a positive case is reported on your site. They will coordinate with health officials and dispatch crews to properly disinfect areas of concern.
As activity increases on site, it is important to follow health guidance to clean frequently-touched surfaces using the appropriate approved district product by means of a manual application (e.g. spray bottles, rags, sponges, mop bucket, buckets, ringers, mops, etc.). Always wear the recommended personal protective equipment required by the product Safety Data Sheet.
And finally, connect with your principal, they have a lot going on, do your best to support them.
Please read this email in its entirety and share the information with all custodial and site staff. Your attention to these important changes is very important and appreciated.
Custodial Operations Program Supervisor
San Diego Unified School District
Physical Plant Operations
Telephone: (858) 627-7148
Cell: (619) 273-9076
Fax: (858) 496-1737
- AASD/DISTRICT "HOTLINE" INFORMATION
The hotline established with the District is available to AASD unit members and other management who are charged with enforcing the health and safety policies and procedures. Call the hotline when you need immediate assistance when conflicts arise, clarification is needed, or decisions must be made regarding health and safety matters.
This hotline is for ALL AASD represented members, both classified and certificated. The hotline phone number is (619) 981-0760. The hotline is available on all District workdays, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. In the rare event that a message must be left, all calls will be returned promptly, within the same day.
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE
AASD will be sending out a Daily Update, Monday-Friday, throughout the return to instruction/school reopening period. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with the typical news and information for AASD members. The AASD Office continues to remain closed. AASD staff are working remotely and can be reached via the contact information at the end of this Update.
AASD has created a Google Form for AASD Members to report issues, questions or concerns regarding work-related issues, COVID-19, return to instruction and school reopening. AASD will provide answers to issues, questions or concerns submitted as answers become available. You may also share your gratitude for another AASD member, district personnel, etc., via the same link.
The link to share issues/questions/concerns/gratitude is:
Please do not share this link outside of AASD membership (classified and certificated management/supervisors). The link will be active until this crisis is over.
NOTE: All previous AASD Daily Updates and Weekly Updates are located on the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org if you need to refer back to them for information.
- DISTRICT WEBSITE
For your convenience, the District has created a list of Frequently Asked Questions. To access that list, click the link https://sites.google.com/sandi.net/covid19/staff-info
- AASD CONTACT INFORMATION
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- email@example.com 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- email@example.com
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.