AASD Weekly Update 02-11-2021
- ENJOY THE FOUR-DAY WEEKEND! AASD wishes all of our members a great 4-day weekend in celebration of Lincoln’s Birthday and President’s Day. Relax and recuperate! The AASD staff will be doing the same. The Daily Update will not be produced on February 12 or 15 and will resume on February 16.
- VERY IMPORTANT FOR ALL AASD MEMBERS IN GOOD STANDING AND AFFILIATE MEMBERS WITH AFSA BENEFITS. PLEASE READ THIS ACTION ITEM. All AASD Members in Good Standing are automatically members of the American Federation of School Administrators (AFSA) of which AASD is Local 134. This also applies to AASD Affiliate Members who have elected to be members of AFSA. NEW THIS YEAR -- YOU MUST UPDATE YOUR UNION BENEFIT FORM FOR 2021.
Each AFSA member, as part of their membership, receives AT NO CHARGE:
$2 million Educators Professional Liability Policy
$25,000 Criminal Defense Coverage
$15,000 Total Disability Benefit
$10,000 Accidental Death Insurance
To qualify for these specific benefits, your most current information must be on file with AFSA or you may be denied coverage. Once you click the link below, you will need to register or sign in. Please take the time to update your information so you don’t take a chance on being denied coverage at a later date. This is a very important action item. You may complete the form online or download it and send via e-mail or US mail. Don’t delay – this is critical for all members! https://AFSAbenefits.org
- FORMER PRINCIPAL AND LIFELONG EDUCATOR, LELYA SAMPSON, HONORED ON HER 100th BIRTHDAY
- AASD MEMBERS IN GOOD STANDING AND AASD AFFILIATE MEMBERS WITH AFSA – FREE COLLEGE! You are all members of AFSA/UNION PLUS. Union Plus is offering the following free college for members:
New Short-Term Certificates
You can now earn a skill-focused certificate if you are enrolled in the Business Management degree with Union Plus Free College, brought to you in partnership with AFSCME. These certificates will show any employer that you have the knowledge of a particular in-demand area of study. TELL ME MORE
For all Union Plus members and eligible family members -- get started by completing our online inquiry form. Free college advisors will follow up. Next classes begin March 29.
START ONLINE NOW
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-Represented CERTIFICATED Job Postings
None at this time.
AASD-Represented CLASSIFIED Job Postings
Building Services Supervisor III, Closes 02/28
Food Services Supervisor, Closes 02/17
Contracts Administration Supervisor, Closes 02/19
Supervising Stock Clerk, Closes 02/23
- ADVANCED FRISK TRAINING OFFERED – A GREAT OPPORTUNITY
The FRISK model was developed by AALRR law partner Steven Adelson. The FRISK methodology was designed to help supervisors effectively create legally sufficient documents for the purpose of addressing employee substandard performance issues and misconduct. FRISK training is essential for all managers and supervisors. The training by AALRR is a Zoom webinar and is offered on the dates below for $89. They are also selling the FRISK manual for $34.
Did you know that the AASD Professional Growth Fund will reimburse AASD Members in Good Standing up to $100 for professional development such as FRISK Training/Book? So if a member in good standing wants to attend this training AASD reimburses the full $89. If the member purchases the book, AASD reimburses $100 of the $123 for the webinar AND the book. Click below for information on reimbursement.
For information about the FRISK webinar on either February 17 or 24 from 8:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., click:
February 17: https://www.aalrr.com/newsroom-events-4024
February 24: https://www.aalrr.com/newsroom-events-4025
For information on the AASD Professional Growth Fund up to $100 reimbursement click:
Questions regarding the reimbursement can be addressed to AASD Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at email@example.com.
- FOR FOOD SERVICES SUPERVISORS AND AREA SUPERVISORS ONLY
The information regarding the Summer Assistance Program has been posted. The deadline to sign up is March 1, 2021.
- CoTA (Collaborations: Teachers and Artists) STEAM Institute
CoTA is excited to invite you to their 2021 Virtual Institute. Engage students through meaningful art strategies geared towards the NGSS framework and enhance deeper understanding of science concepts.
- 6 experiential sessions exploring the Science Practices through visual art, theatre, and creative movement
- 13.5 hours professional development
- collaborative learning environment
- come away with lessons you can use remotely and in the classroom
2021 VIRTUAL LEARNING WORKSHOPS
February 20 & 27, 9:00a- 12:45p
March 13 & 20, 9:00a - 12:00p
Click below for registration ($75 deposit required; refunded after attendance)
- AMERICAN FIDELITY – SPECIAL ENROLLMENT OPPORTUNITY FOR AASD MEMBERS
For the past few years, American Fidelity has conducted annual site visits at San Diego USD to educate AASD members on the benefits available to them and to update their disability coverage. Due to the current environment, American Fidelity has transitioned to assisting members virtually using “screen sharing” software. They are making plans to service SDUSD employees/AASD members this year from January 18 – February 28, 2021.
Whether you currently have benefits through American Fidelity, or you wish to enroll for the first time, this special enrollment opportunity is important for you. Please click on the following link for information on the various insurance products and to schedule an appointment. American Fidelity Special Enrollment
Please don’t hesitate to contact American Fidelity directly at 1-800-365-9180 if you have any questions.
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
- FROM RANCH EVENTS – CONTINUING TO PROVIDE GREAT MEALS AT A GREAT PRICE. TIRED OF COOKING? CHECK THIS OUT https://mdp-catering-events-inc.square.site/
Tired of cooking? As many of you know, all of the AASD events at Marina Village and Scottish Rite Center are catered by Ranch Events. They make and serve delicious meals! Ranch Events opened their kitchen at the Scottish Rite Event Center (in Mission Valley) for “take out” meals – breakfast, lunch and dinner. A dinner that serves 4 adults and 2 children is just $30 and individual meals or meals for 3 can also be purchased. A great deal for home cooked food. The website link is above, meals can be ordered in advance or the order can be placed on the same day (see website for more information). This is a great way to take a night day off from cooking and still be able to feed yourself and/or your family at a reasonable price. They also have vegetarian meals, soups and desserts as well as group platter meals. AASD has partnered with Ranch Events for many years and we are pleased they are able to provide this service which allows them to continue to employ staff. Feel free to share this information with anyone you wish to. Many of our AASD members have tried the meals and the feedback has been positive.
- AFSA SCHOLARSHIP FOR GRADUATING SENIORS
The AFSA Diann Woodard Scholarship is available exclusively to the children of AFSA members in good standing. The AFSA General Executive Board selects the awardees based on academic excellence, passion for volunteerism and display of exceptional work ethic.
All AASD Members in Good Standing and Affiliate Members with AFSA are eligible for their graduating senior to apply for the American Federation of School Administrators Diann Woodard scholarship. Five $2500 scholarships will be awarded. The deadline to apply is May 31, 2021. (Last year an AASD member’s child was awarded one of the scholarships!). All applicants must be a graduating high school senior who will be attending college for the first time in 2021.
Students who apply must clearly express their goals for the future and appropriately tie these goals to their higher education aspirations. https://afsascholarshipapplication.org/
- ACSA REGION 18 SCHOLARSHIPS FOR STUDENTS IN SAN DIEGO AND IMPERIAL COUNTIES
Region 18 of the Association of California School Administrators (San Diego and Imperial Counties) and the San Diego County School Boards Association are again pleased to offer ten (10) $1,000 scholarships as a result of donations made by both organizations and their generous business partners.
Students are encouraged to apply no later than March 29, 2021 by 4:00pm. Click on the link below to access the application. Application
If you are unable to access the link, please contact Stephanie Napier at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SEE'S CANDIES See's is now offering a new product! Instead of the paper gift certificates, they now have plastic gift cards. (The paper gift certificates are no longer available for purchase through their discount program.) Of course, if you have any of the paper gift certificates, they are still valid and will be honored at stores.
The new gift cards are available for purchase from AASD by members in good standing, affiliate members and retired members. The gift cards are valued at $25, but the discounted cost for our members is just $21.25. This is a savings of $3.75 per gift card!
As you know, the AASD office is closed and staff is working remotely, but we can still offer this benefit to you. If you are interested in purchasing gift cards, simply email Linda Crout-Hamel (email@example.com). Please email your request and provide your phone number so she can call you to discuss your order and payment options (credit or debit card, check). The gift cards will then be mailed to the address you provide.
In addition to these gift cards, Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount store on Rosecrans. To redeem your discount, show a valid photo ID, your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612 or the office phone number 619-295-2118. Note: the acronym "AASD" will not work for the business name. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.
- NEGOTIATED HOTLINE FOR AASD MEMBERS IS UP AND RUNNING! In the Return to Instruction MOU, AASD negotiated the following language:
The District will establish a “hotline” available to AASD unit members and other management who are charged with enforcing the health and safety policies and procedures where they can call or e-mail and get immediate assistance when conflicts arise, clarification is needed, or decisions must be made regarding health and safety matters. This hotline will be available on all District workdays, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and will be staffed with a person in authority who has the capability to make decisions or who has direct access to those who can make decisions. In the rare event that a message must be left, all calls will be returned promptly, within the same day.
The Hotline is up and running. AASD is pleased to announce that our AASD member, Brian Kenworthy, who is a classified manager (Operations Specialist) is the voice on the other end of the hotline. Many of you know Brian as he has worked for the district for 18 years in departments such as Human Resources, Summer School/ESY, Leadership and Learning, Labor Relations, Office of the Superintendent and the Charter School Office. Brian will be a great resource for our members and is a well-respected manager. Thank you, Brian!
This hotline is for ALL AASD represented members, both classified and certificated. The Hotline phone number is (619) 981-0760.
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE. The AASD office remains closed, and staff are working remotely, until further notice.. The Daily Update will continue to answer any questions and address any of your concerns with regard to school closures, return to instruction and COVID-19 updates. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with a variety of news and information for AASD members.
- IMPORTANT - PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If you know of a colleague that is not receiving the Update, or if your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org.
- UNION PLUS - MONEY-SAVING PROGRAMS FOR AFSA MEMBERS! AFSA membership is provided to all AASD Members in Good Standing at no additional cost. For more information regarding AFSA and Union Plus benefits, please visit their website: https://www.theschoolleader.org/
IMPORTANT: For Members in Good Standing and Affiliate Members who have added AFSA -- If you have not turned in the “Combined AFSA Benefits Information Form,” please submit the form immediately. This form must be submitted in order to be eligible for the professional liability, legal services, etc. You do not need to list your full social security number on the form; however, AFSA has requested that you provide at least the last four digits. For a copy of the form, click here
For all our Members in Good Standing, and Affiliates and Retirees who have selected to be members of AFSA, there are many money-saving programs offered to you. Click here to review your many options!
- IMPORTANT – ELECTRONIC LINK AVAILABLE! FILL OUT YOUR AASD MEMBERSHIP RECOMMITMENT FORM NOW! This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to Affiliate members or Retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the google form (link below). This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Some of you have already filled out the new membership form over the past year – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again. If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member, please Click here.
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- AASD WEBSITE. Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD has a partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 19th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail email@example.com or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
- MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA).
There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout. (click on link) Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please click on link for information on applying via the website.
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
The Benefits Portal - In addition to discounts and specials, BenefitHub also offers CASH BACK on some products and services! Get to know the benefit portal by visiting the BenefitHub website. The site is very user friendly. It is easy to do a search under various headings and categories, including Newest, Most Popular, Local Deals, Health and Wellness and Pay Over Time, just to name a few.
Benefit Hub Service - Gift Card Outlet - Save up to 15% on gift cards from over 70 popular merchants. The NEW Gift Card Outlet is in the Discount Marketplace.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- AASD Contact Information During the District Closure:
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- email@example.com 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily and Weekly Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.