DAILY UPDATE #210 -- 2/17/2021
- NEW ITEMS
- Q and A (Wednesday, February 17, 2021)
Q: On February 9 we had a principals PD scheduled from 9 to 12. Also today I have 45 students coming onto campus for the first time at 8:00 for Phase 1 instruction during synchronous learning. I think a lot of other principals have students on campus at this time. Luckily I have my vice principal on site tomorrow to help but ideally I would have liked to spend the day making sure this very complicated endeavor goes smoothly. Most days I am the only one in the office in the morning. My health tech who has been an amazing help was exposed to COVID and now can't come on campus for 14 days. My nurse who has been vaccinated is refusing to help. Many principals have even less help than I do. So during Phase 1 if there are any problems with students getting sick, misbehaving, etc., I am the one who is going to help. Also, my three VTs are each going to need a 10-minute bathroom/snack break between 8:00 and 12:00. That will take up 30 minutes of my day. I do not think that the district should be scheduling any meetings or PDs between 8:00 and 12:00. We also have a Phase 1 meeting on Wednesday from 8:00 to 9:00. I will be busy at the front gate every morning between 8:00 and 8:30 checking in the arriving students, so I will miss out on this important information about Phase 1. I am concerned because all of these meetings are about important topics and I do not want to miss the information. Perhaps they should offer two sessions, a morning and an afternoon choice. Or, if that is not possible, record everything and give the option of watching it later. I think the district needs to understand that during Phase 1, principals are not necessarily available to attend meetings when students are on campus.
A: (Answer provided by the district) Thank you for your feedback. The meeting was recorded. Please note that the link for the video is included in this Landing Page Link. https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1xIjQmy2qlkEiWkr6OhtfwxqifJFiSwrbVHhXzr9K8tw/copy
- DISTRICT COMMUNICATIONS
The following communication was sent to principals on February 17:
- ATTENDANCE ‘H’ CODE REMINDERS
- For students participating in Classroom Lab, Learning Lab and Appointment Based Learning/Services, please ensure their attendance is reported as an ‘H’ into PowerSchool.
- For more information on this process, please see language included in this link.
- TECHNOLOGY UPDATE FOR EXPANDED PHASE I
- To assist with the preparation for Expanded Phase I/Safe Learning Labs, IT would like to share the following information/recommendations to help ensure technology needs for students and staff are supported.
- COMMUNITY PLANNED PROTESTS
- We are aware of several protests planned at some school sites this Thursday morning. The protests have been called to demand schools reopen immediately in-person. All indications are the organizers plan a peaceful, respectful event.
- We anticipate significant media interest in the protest. As a reminder, the media is welcome to interview parents on the sidewalk in front of school, but they should not come onto campus without permission.
- Please reach out to Maureen Magee directly for communications help.
- School police are organizing to assist operations on Thursday morning.
- If you receive additional information from any of your families, please share that with your Area Superintendent.
- PARENT EDUCATION WORKSHOP: VACCINE EDUCATION
- Two sessions offered: Vaccine Education Workshops for Parents. Flyers: English / Spanish
- Thursday, February 18 @ 10:15 a.m.
- Wednesday, February 24 @ 5:15 p.m.
- E3 GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
- Differentiated Site Leader Trainings are now available live or via Screencastify. If possible, we encourage you to attend educator training with your staff to support their E3 learning.
- SPECIAL EDUCATION VOLUNTARY OFFICE HOURS
- Please join our Special Education Voluntary Office Hours for Principals to Support Phase 1 Implementation to brainstorm ideas and answer questions to support you in bringing students with disabilities, especially students in our moderate/severe program, on campus.
- When: February 23 from 2:00 to 3:00 p.m.
- Zoom Link /Zoom ID: 898 0459 4165 / Password: 456456
- ELEMENTARY UPDATES
VAPA’s Arts Education Project (AEP) Reminder
- VAPA’s Arts Education Project (AEP) provides elementary schools a service that combines regular grade-level PLC collaboration time for teachers with VAPA learning for students.
- AEP provides each grade level team a ½ day of PLC release time while their students receive a ½ day of VAPA learning either once or twice a month throughout the school year.
- AEP is a TK-5 program open to all San Diego Unified Elementary schools. Principals, start here.
- The following communications were sent to school site custodial staff from Custodial Operations:
Evening work hours for custodial staff servicing classrooms and common areas during the expanded phase one schedule can remain the same with no one starting later than 1:00pm. Please assess which classrooms are actually being used during the expanded phase, for work schedule purposes. If you have questions please reach out to your CSS for consideration and direction.
Also concerning barriers, tape and feet, if you are able to space student desks six feet apart, barriers are not required. If you are in need of barriers etc., please send your request via email to PPE@sandi.net. Please communicate with your principal and staff on the process and procedure. Thank you all for your efforts to have our sites ready for the expanded phase.
Custodial Operations Program Supervisor
San Diego Unified School District
Physical Plant Operations
Telephone: (858) 627-7148
Cell: (619) 273-9076
Fax: (858) 496-1737
- OTHER NEWS
Who is Lamont Jackson, SDUSD's Interim Superintendent? (SD Union Tribune, February 13)
- AASD/DISTRICT "HOTLINE" INFORMATION
The hotline established with the District is available to AASD unit members and other management who are charged with enforcing the health and safety policies and procedures. Call the hotline when you need immediate assistance when conflicts arise, clarification is needed, or decisions must be made regarding health and safety matters.
This hotline is for ALL AASD represented members, both classified and certificated. The hotline phone number is (619) 981-0760. The hotline is available on all District workdays, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. In the rare event that a message must be left, all calls will be returned promptly, within the same day.
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE
AASD will be sending out a Daily Update, Monday-Friday, throughout the return to instruction/school reopening period. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with the typical news and information for AASD members. The AASD Office continues to remain closed. AASD staff are working remotely and can be reached via the contact information at the end of this Update.
AASD has created a Google Form for AASD Members to report issues, questions or concerns regarding work-related issues, COVID-19, return to instruction and school reopening. AASD will provide answers to issues, questions or concerns submitted as answers become available. You may also share your gratitude for another AASD member, district personnel, etc., via the same link.
The link to share issues/questions/concerns/gratitude is:
Please do not share this link outside of AASD membership (classified and certificated management/supervisors). The link will be active until this crisis is over.
NOTE: All previous AASD Daily Updates and Weekly Updates are located on the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org if you need to refer back to them for information.
- DISTRICT WEBSITE
For your convenience, the District has created a list of Frequently Asked Questions. To access that list, click the link https://sites.google.com/sandi.net/covid19/staff-info
- AASD CONTACT INFORMATION
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- email@example.com 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- email@example.com
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.