DAILY UPDATE #231 -- 3/19/2021
- NEW ITEMS
- REQUEST FOR ACCOMMODATION
AASD Members – Please pay attention to the “Request for Accommodation” below. If any AASD Member in Good Standing has a need for an accommodation, please contact AASD Executive Director, Donis Coronel, asap! Please do not wait any longer as we need to start the process. Understand that all AASD unit members will be REQUIRED to physically report to work at some point prior to teachers/students returning.
- If you, the AASD member, have a disability, defined by the ADA as a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, a person who has a history or record of such an impairment, or a person who is perceived by others as having such an impairment. The ADA does not specifically name all of the impairments that are covered.
- If you, the AASD member, wish to engage in this process, please complete the ADA Intake Packet. This ADA Flowchart provides a simple overview of the process.
- If AASD members do not have a disability, but would like to request a modification to their work due to demonstrable hardships, including but not limited to being a caregiver for a child or other family member who is at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19, please submit a letter outlining your request and any supporting documentation to this link.
- Q and A (Friday, March 19, 2021)
Q: I have been told that teachers are required to be tested for COVID-19, and AASD is following close behind. Is testing going to be required for individuals who have been COVID-19 vaccinated? Individuals who have already been vaccinated with both doses should not have to be tested if fully vaccinated.
A: (Answer provided by AASD) Thank you for sharing your concern. AASD already negotiated language around COVID testing in an MOU dated February 11, 2021 which was shared with the membership via our Daily/Weekly Update. The MOU is below. Yes, all AASD members who are physically reporting to work will have to take a COVID test every two weeks beginning with Phase 2 (scheduled to begin on April 12) whether vaccinated or not.
AASD TA Comprehensive COVID-19 Testing Plan, Corrected
- DISTRICT COMMUNICATION
The following communication was sent to principals today:
- INSTRUCTIONAL MODEL CHOICE FORM - translations now available
- Translated letters/surveys are now available within the Instructional Model Choice form. Please send the survey to your families.
- Our goal is to have the responses gathered by Monday, March 22.
- Reminder: The communication has been carefully crafted to reflect our tentative agreement, as we respond to the needs of our families and content should not be altered.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with further questions.
- LABOR RELATIONS
- Labor Relations provides an annual update to a Memo and Waiver Request form pursuant to SDEA CBA Article 24.3.
- The Contract Waiver for the 2021-2022 school year is available and can be accessed here.
- It provides examples of various education reforms that may give rise to the necessity of its use as well as guidelines each site must follow to complete the form.
- The waiver form must be received by Labor Relations no later than April 1, 2021.
- If you have any specific questions please feel free to contact Christine Houston email@example.com in Labor Relations.
- SPECIAL EDUCATION
- Here is a guidance document for education specialists and the FAQ for onsite implementation from our Zoom meeting.
- SUMMER SCHOOL & ESY
- We have reimagined our 2021 Summer School Program to provide engaging opportunities for students to rediscover their love of learning.
- Summer Experience: The goal of the summer experience is to support the wellbeing of the students and afford the educator, as the project facilitator, the chance to learn alongside students while developing relationships and community.
- This is important for our community, and we need the expertise and experience of our educators. Educators have the option to apply for multiple opportunities.
- Please encourage your teachers to apply for summer school. Applications will be opened on April 1, 2021 and the circular will be posted later today.
- Please contact Nicole Dewitt firstname.lastname@example.org or Lisa Sheldon email@example.com for any questions on the summer experience.
- PRIMETIME & FEE-BASED LICENSED CHILD CARE PROGRAMS
- Extended Learning Office (ELO) is working on transitioning PrimeTime and Fee-Based Licensed Child Care Programs services for students to an onsite format.
- The goal is to provide these services onsite as we reopen our schools on April 12, 2021.
- You will receive an email from our ELO with information on program overview, procedures, and facility identification by Monday, March 22, 2021.
- PARA AGREEMENT: INCREASING PARTICIPATION DURING PHASE ONE
- New $300 monthly stipends for PARAs related to supervision of Learning Labs, Classroom Labs, Childcare Cohorts, and Health Office
- The Payroll Department is working with IT to develop a user-friendly stipend entry page to process the $300 stipend within Peoplesoft for timekeepers.
- Principals will be notified once the new page has been deployed and is ready for timekeepers.
- Payroll will also send a separate communication along with detailed instructions to the timekeepers at that time.
- Entry page will be made available to timekeepers at the end of March.
- Entry page will allow current periods, past periods, and the ability to adjust stipends already paid in the past.
- Time will be allotted to enter these stipends before the April Monthly timekeeper cutoff date.
- Starting on the April 30th monthly payroll, stipends will be paid.
- Stipend payments pertaining to February or March may be entered during this time and paid on the April payroll.
- FOOD SERVICES: FOOD BOXES AT SELECT CURBSIDE GRAB N’ GO MEAL LOCATIONS
- Extra grocery items available (while supplies last) at select schools on a rotating basis. Check the schedule for grocery distributions for next week - Grocery Item Schedule for Week of 3/22-3/26
- Special giveaways of PPE items, library kits, and once a month food drives will be taking place next week. Please check the schedule for dates and locations and share with your families!
- Spring Break Meal Distribution
- We will have 18 curbside meal locations open Monday 3/29, Tuesday 3/30, and Wednesday 3/31 for children 18 years and younger to receive meals at no cost. Meals can be picked up from 12-2 p.m.
- Please share this information with your families Spring Break Meals Flyer
- Curbside Meal Location Changes Beginning Monday, April 5
- In preparation for the reopening of schools for onsite/online hybrid learning, we are making changes to our curbside meal distribution.
- Beginning Monday, April 5, we will have 19 school sites designated for curbside meal pick-up, Monday-Friday from 12-2 p.m.
- More details can be found on this flyer.
- Please share this information with your school families!
- For questions, please contact Gary Petill firstname.lastname@example.org.
- OTHER NEWS
Teachers reflect on a year of COVID (including SDUSD teachers) (Ed Source, March 19)
- HOTLINE FOR AASD MEMBERS – THIS WILL BECOME IMPORTANT AS STAFF RETURNS TO CAMPUS AND STUDENTS RETURN ON APRIL 12
The hotline AASD negotiated with the District is available to all AASD unit members (classified and certificated) who are charged with enforcing the health and safety policies and procedures at the school site. Call the hotline when you need immediate assistance when conflicts arise, clarification is needed, or decisions must be made regarding health and safety matters. Once we have staff and students back on campus, issues may arise where site AASD members don’t have direction or an answer. Call the hotline for help! Put the hotline number in your cell phone so you have it when needed.
This hotline is for ALL AASD represented members, both classified and certificated. The hotline phone number is (619) 981-0760. The hotline is available on all District workdays, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. In the rare event that a message must be left, all calls will be returned promptly, within the same day. The hotline is answered by our AASD member, Brian Kenworthy, Operations Specialist who has access to materials and district leadership as necessary.
- SPECIAL GRATITUDE
If an AASD member has a department or individual that deserves special recognition during this time of crisis, please use the link below for reporting issues/questions/concerns/gratitude to show your gratitude for the department or individual. AASD will publish that special thanks in our next Daily Update.
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE
AASD will be sending out a Daily Update, Monday-Friday, throughout the return to instruction/school reopening period. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with the typical news and information for AASD members. The AASD Office continues to remain closed. AASD staff are working remotely and can be reached via the contact information at the end of this Update.
AASD has created a Google Form for AASD Members to report issues, questions or concerns regarding work-related issues, COVID-19, return to instruction and school reopening. AASD will provide answers to issues, questions or concerns submitted as answers become available. You may also share your gratitude for another AASD member, district personnel, etc., via the same link.
The link to share issues/questions/concerns/gratitude is:
Please do not share this link outside of AASD membership (classified and certificated management/supervisors). The link will be active until this crisis is over.
NOTE: All previous AASD Daily Updates and Weekly Updates are located on the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org if you need to refer back to them for information.
- DISTRICT WEBSITE
For your convenience, the District has created a list of Frequently Asked Questions. To access that list, click the link https://sites.google.com/sandi.net/covid19/staff-info
- AASD CONTACT INFORMATION
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- email@example.com 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- email@example.com
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.