AASD Weekly Update 07-22-2021
- BARGAINING UPDATES AS OF JULY 22, 2021. CLASSIFIED AASD MEMBERS, PLEASE READ. As some of you are aware, another union recently reached tentative agreement with the district which included compensation for employees who were required to physically report to work on a daily basis between July 1, 2020 and April 5, 2021. AASD is in the process of also negotiating similar compensation for our members who were required to physically report during the time period above for at least 50% of workdays within a month. While we do not yet have a tentative agreement, it is safe to say that all BSS III’s, POS’, Food Services Supervisors, Food Services Area Supervisors and school police supervisory personnel will be eligible as long as they meet the criteria.
If you are an CLASSIFIED AASD member NOT in one of the categories listed above AND you were required to physically report to work between July 1, 2020 and April 5, 2021, AND you were required to physically report to work at least 50% of the month, then we need to know about you. Please click the link below and complete the Google Form. If you are in the five categories listed above, it is NOT necessary to complete the Google Form.
AASD Bargaining Teams:
Certificated Bargaining Team
Donis Coronel, AASD Executive Director (Chief Negotiator)
Patti Burch, Official Notetaker
Scott Thomason, Principal, CPMA (Bargaining Chair)
Jason Babineau, Principal, Hoover High
Heather Harris, Program Manager, Teacher Prep and Induction
Jonathan McDade, Principal, Correia Middle
Lauren Robinson, Principal, Hawthorne Elementary
Niecy Watkins, Principal, Jerabek Elementary
Classified Bargaining Team
Donis Coronel, AASD Executive Director (Chief Negotiator)
Patti Burch, Official Notetaker
Jesus Montana, Sergeant, School Police (Bargaining Chair)
Bill Cheney, Food Services Area Manager, Morse Cluster
Bryan Ehm, Manager, Physical Plant Operations Program Management, PPO
Brian Kenworthy, Operations Manager, Leadership and Learning
Ivan Martinez, Plant Operations Supervisor, Hoover High
Lumumba Mushonga, Supervising Rehabilitation Specialist, Marcy Center
- SPECIAL GRATITUDE
When members wish to show their gratitude for other district staff, please use this Google Form and AASD will publish that message of gratitude in the next Weekly Update.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT
AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days).
AASD-Represented CERTIFICATED Job Postings
Principal, Longfellow K-8, Re-Post Closes 7/31
Principal, Chesterton Elementary, Re-Post Closes 7/31
Principal, Mission Bay High, Re-Post Closes 7/31
Principal, Millenial Tech Middle, Re-Post, Closes 7/31
Principal, New School in Mission Valley, Re-Post Closes 7/31
Principal, Walker Elementary, Closes 7/25
Vice Principal, Morse High, Closes 7/25
AASD-Represented CLASSIFIED Job Postings
Operations Auditor, Closes 7/31
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
AASD sends our sincere condolences to our Affiliate Member, Mary Wager, Human Resources Officer, on the passing of her father, Mr. Ryan, on July 19 in Sarasota, Florida, with his wife, his son and his daughter, Mary, by his side. AASD sends our positive thoughts to the entire Wager/Ryan family on the loss of a devoted husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather and friend.
- AASD OFFICE HAS REOPENED
The AASD Office has reopened with health and safety measures in place. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m, Monday-Thursday. Staff will be working remotely on Fridays. We ask that you call the office before visiting to ensure staff are not offsite at an appointment, running work-related errands or at lunch. Also, if visitors are not vaccinated, we ask that you wear a face mask when visiting the office. To check in before visiting, the office phone number is 619-295-2118.
The AASD Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with important news and information for AASD members.
The Google Form created during the pandemic is a great tool for members to share any questions or concerns and will remain active. Please share your questions and/or concerns regarding any issues you would like AASD to follow up on. Please be specific. AASD will then obtain answers to the questions or concerns which will be published in the Weekly Update. Members may also show their gratitude for other district staff in this Google Form and AASD will publish that message of gratitude.
The link to share issues/questions/concerns/gratitude is:
- BRANDMAN UNIVERSITY JOB OPPORTUNITY
Brandman University is looking to hire a student teacher supervisor with a single subject credential and teaching experience to begin Fall 2021. Most of their supervisors also have administrative background. The supervisor needs to be current and knowledgeable with technology. Please send your vitae to Laurel Lamb and feel free to contact her if you have questions.
Laurel Lamb, Campus Clinical Coordinator Brandman University
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's is now offering gift cards instead of the paper gift certificates. The paper gift certificates are no longer available for purchase, but if you have any of the paper gift certificates, they are still valid and will be honored at stores.
The new gift cards are available for purchase from AASD by members in good standing, affiliate members and retired members. The gift cards are valued at $25, but the discounted cost for our members is just $21.25. This is a savings of $3.75 per gift card!
If you are interested in purchasing gift cards, simply email Linda Crout-Hamel (email@example.com). Please email your request and provide your phone number so she can call you to discuss your order and payment options (credit or debit card, check). The gift cards will then be mailed to the address you provide or you may make arrangements to pick up after the office reopens on July 12.
In addition to these gift cards, Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount store on Rosecrans. To redeem your discount, show a valid photo ID, your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612 or the office phone number 619-295-2118. Note: the acronym "AASD" will not work for the business name. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.
- IMPORTANT - PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If you know of a colleague that is not receiving the Update, or if your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org.
- UNION PLUS - MONEY-SAVING PROGRAMS FOR AFSA MEMBERS! AFSA membership is provided to all AASD Members in Good Standing at no additional cost. For more information regarding AFSA and Union Plus benefits, please visit their website: https://www.theschoolleader.org/
IMPORTANT: For Members in Good Standing and Affiliate Members who have added AFSA -- If you have not turned in the “Combined AFSA Benefits Information Form,” please submit the form immediately. This form must be submitted in order to be eligible for the professional liability, legal services, etc. You do not need to list your full social security number on the form; however, AFSA has requested that you provide at least the last four digits. For a copy of the form, click here
For all our Members in Good Standing, and Affiliates and Retirees who have selected to be members of AFSA, there are many money-saving programs offered to you. Click here to review your many options!
- IMPORTANT – ELECTRONIC LINK AVAILABLE! FILL OUT YOUR AASD MEMBERSHIP RECOMMITMENT FORM NOW! This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to Affiliate members or Retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the google form (link below). This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Some of you have already filled out the new membership form over the past year – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again. If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member, please Click here.
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- AASD WEBSITE. Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD has a partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 19th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail email@example.com or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
- MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout. (click on link) Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please click on link for information on applying via the website.
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB". Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
The Benefits Portal - In addition to discounts and specials, BenefitHub also offers CASH BACK on some products and services! Get to know the benefit portal by visiting the BenefitHub website. The site is very user friendly. It is easy to do a search under various headings and categories, including Newest, Most Popular, Local Deals, Health and Wellness and Pay Over Time, just to name a few.
Benefit Hub Service - Gift Card Outlet - Save up to 15% on gift cards from over 70 popular merchants. The NEW Gift Card Outlet is in the Discount Marketplace.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- AASD Contact Information ON REMOTE WORKING DAYS:
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- email@example.com 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- firstname.lastname@example.org