DAILY UPDATE #249 -- 4/22/2021
- NEW ITEMS
- DISTRICT COMMUNICATION
The following communication was sent to principals on April 21:
- SERVING STUDENTS AT OUR SITES
- We are gathering information regarding student experiences in our schools including the use of alternative/additional spaces for classrooms and are asking leaders to complete a 3-minute survey to be clear on how we are serving students on our sites.
- Some members of the community have the perception that many of our students are not being directly supported by their classroom teacher when they are at school.
- Please complete this survey by Friday April 23, 2021.
- COVID TESTING UPDATE
- Based on input to improve testing service, we collaborated with UCSD to update the process for your site’s assigned COVID testing day. Here are some important highlights:
- To streamline testing and for efficiency, testing will be located in a designated central area on campus (i.e., auditorium). There will be no “mobile” testing service class to class to maximize the testing staff’s time.
- If possible, and if you have the space, please reserve two parking spaces for testing staff.
- It is now very important for all staff to schedule appointments ahead of the testing day.
- Priority will be given to those with scheduled appointments. Walk-ins may be accommodated after appointments, only if time permits.
- Testing teams will post signage as a reminder about this process.
- Testing teams will display QR codes so staff can easily register for ongoing appointments.
- Auto scheduling: For students who either schedule an appointment or turn in their paperwork, UCSD staff will automatically populate another appointment every two weeks for that student through July 30th. Staff are responsible to schedule themselves.
- IN-PERSON LEARNING
- Per Ed Code 43504 and 48200 for Compulsory Education, LEAs must provide in person learning to the “greatest extent possible.”
- Please work with your Area Superintendent for solutions to requests for in-person learning from families:
- New to district
- Originally signed up for online and now want “in person”
- Who did not respond to the original survey and now want in person.
- RESOURCES FOR EDUCATORS TO SUPPORT DISCUSSIONS ON RACIAL VIOLENCE AND INJUSTICE
- Teachers, counselors, leaders and families may be seeking resources to support student and/or staff discussions about racial violence and injustice in light of the guilty verdict of Officer Chauvin, the death of Daunte Wright by a police officer, and the increase in hate crimes against the Asian Pacific Islander community.
- There are several resources posted here on the Ethnic Studies website. There are many resources available, select the resources that will work best for your community.
- INSTRUCTIONAL TECHNOLOGY SUPPORT
- New classes for May! Boxlight System Integration, MimioStudio, and LanSchool.
- Learn more about LanSchool, a tool for monitoring and engaging students on devices.
- Please note, this tool will only work with students who are in class and on i21 WIRELESS. With LanSchool you can:
- View students’ screens, send messages to students, block particular websites, and more.
- Join us for Q&A around technology. Click here for calendar of days and times: Weekly Zoom Rooms
- E3 GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT SYSTEM
- Here is an FAQ for E3 process.
- For further questions, join us at Office Hours: Tuesdays 3:00-4:00 Zoom ID: 361 289 6400
- Please reach out to Marisol Marin at E3@sandi.net if you have additional questions or concerns.
- ASB ACCOUNTING SOFTWARE
- On January 26, 2021, the Board approved a contract with KEV Group School Solutions for new ASB financial software, called SchoolCash, which will replace QuickBooks.
- Implementation is scheduled to begin in May 2021 starting with the elementary schools.
- Please share this link with your admin assistant/financial clerk.
- For questions, contact Tiffany Lilley at 619-537-6139, Patricia Toledo, Ivan Villanueva, or Susan Jarrold.
- SECONDARY UPDATES
INTERIM MIDDLE SCHOOL MATH POLICY UPDATE
- OTHER NEWS
As CA schools reopen to in-person instruction, students and families decide if it’s right for them (includes reference to SDUSD) (EdSource, April 22)
Pandemic summer school (SDUSD referenced in article) (Washington Post, April 22)
CA Coronavirus case rate among nation's lowest (SD Union Tribune, April 21)
Los Angeles Unified Superintendent departing June 30 (LA Daily News, April 22)
- THE CERTIFICATED WORKLOAD WORK GROUP IS MEETING NEXT WEEK. PLEASE SHARE YOUR WORKLOAD CONCERNS BY CLICKING THE LINK BELOW. The certificated workload work group will be meeting April 29. Please share CURRENT workload concerns (principals, vice principals and central office certificated administrators). While there are certainly “past” issues, please only share CURRENT concerns regarding workload. Your AASD Certificated Workload Work Group representatives are: Donis Coronel (AASD), Peg Crane (Elem), Brandon Lemmon (VP), Susan Levy (Middle), MC Patton (Elem), Carly Romero (Elem), Stacey Simpson (VP), Ethan Williams (Sr High) and Michelle Spence (Central Office Certificated Managers).
The deadline to take this very brief survey is April 25 at 5pm.
- HOTLINE FOR AASD MEMBERS – A VERY USEFUL TOOL
The hotline AASD negotiated with the District is available to all AASD unit members (classified and certificated) who are charged with enforcing the health and safety policies and procedures at the school site. Call the hotline when you need immediate assistance when conflicts arise, clarification is needed, or decisions must be made regarding health and safety matters. Once we have staff and students back on campus, issues may arise where site AASD members don’t have direction or an answer. Call the hotline for help! Put the hotline number in your cell phone so you have it when needed.
This hotline is for ALL AASD represented members, both classified and certificated. The hotline phone number is (619) 981-0760. The hotline is available on all District workdays, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. In the rare event that a message must be left, all calls will be returned promptly, within the same day. The hotline is answered by our AASD member, Brian Kenworthy, Operations Specialist who has access to materials and district leadership as necessary.
- SPECIAL GRATITUDE
If an AASD member has a department or individual that deserves special recognition during this time of crisis, please use the link below for reporting issues/questions/concerns/gratitude to show your gratitude for the department or individual. AASD will publish that special thanks in our next Daily Update.
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE
AASD will be sending out a Daily Update, Monday-Friday, throughout the return to instruction/school reopening period. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with the typical news and information for AASD members. The AASD Office continues to remain closed. AASD staff are working remotely and can be reached via the contact information at the end of this Update.
AASD has created a Google Form for AASD Members to report issues, questions or concerns regarding work-related issues, COVID-19, return to instruction and school reopening. AASD will provide answers to issues, questions or concerns submitted as answers become available. You may also share your gratitude for another AASD member, district personnel, etc., via the same link.
The link to share issues/questions/concerns/gratitude is:
Please do not share this link outside of AASD membership (classified and certificated management/supervisors). The link will be active until this crisis is over.
NOTE: All previous AASD Daily Updates and Weekly Updates are located on the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org if you need to refer back to them for information.
- DISTRICT WEBSITE
For your convenience, the District has created a list of Frequently Asked Questions. To access that list, click the link https://sites.google.com/sandi.net/covid19/staff-info
- AASD CONTACT INFORMATION
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- email@example.com 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- email@example.com
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.