AASD Weekly Update 04-22-2021
- THE CERTIFICATED WORKLOAD WORK GROUP IS MEETING NEXT WEEK. PLEASE SHARE YOUR WORKLOAD CONCERNS BY CLICKING THE LINK BELOW. The certificated workload work group will be meeting April 29. Please share CURRENT workload concerns (principals, vice principals and central office certificated administrators). While there are certainly “past” issues, please only share CURRENT concerns regarding workload. Your AASD Certificated Workload Work Group representatives are Donis Coronel (AASD), Peg Crane (Elem), Brandon Lemmon (VP), Susan Levy (Middle), MC Patton (Elem), Carly Romero (Elem), Stacey Simpson (VP) and Ethan Williams (Sr High) and Michelle Spence (Central Office Certificated Managers).
The deadline to take this very brief survey is The link to the brief survey is April 25 at 5pm. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdiCFEbiR0nWeAf5PB6pG4QjRK4kFyUFavOvPI-ZxWKe7y3sg/viewform?usp=sf_link
- CONGRATULATIONS TO JENNIFER MARRONE, MEMBER, AASD BOARD OF DIRECTORS. Food Services is pleased to announce the election by acclimation of the next CASBO (California Association of School Business Officials) San Diego/Imperial Section State Director – Jennifer Marrone, SDUSD Food Services Business Manager. Jennifer volunteered to serve out the remaining term of the recently elected Vice President and ran unopposed for the position. Jennifer’s term of service as San Diego/Imperial Section State Director will begin immediately after the close of the 2021 Annual Conference. AASD is proud of Jennifer and wish her the best in this new leadership position in CASBO.
- SIGN UP NOW! AASD GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING VIA ZOOM ON APRIL 28. At the direction of the AASD Executive Board, AASD will be holding a General Membership Meeting via Zoom on April 28 from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m. There will be AASD business announcements and information about voting for the AASD Board of Directors. Our AASD Member Relations Committee will be helping with some fun activities and lots of gift card door prizes will be given away to those in attendance.
All Members in Good Standing, Affiliate Members and Retired Members are invited! The event requires pre-registration. Once you click on the link below, you will be able to pre-register and will receive a confirmation. The confirmation email contains a link that allows you to put the event on your calendar. Only those who pre-register will be able to attend this virtual event. Pre-registration qualifies you to be entered in the drawing for some fabulous door prizes, as long as you are present when your name is called throughout the meeting.
We hope to see you at the meeting! You are important to us and this is a time for us to connect as a Union!
Donis Coronel, AASD is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
AASD General Membership Meeting
April 28 at 4pm
Important: Pre-Register Now by Clicking this link:
Meeting ID: 851 0762 7397
One tap mobile
+16699009128,,85107627397#,,,,*010464# US (San Jose)
+13462487799,,85107627397#,,,,*010464# US (Houston)
Dial by your location
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
Meeting ID: 851 0762 7397
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kwTqyXYCi
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-Represented CERTIFICATED Job Postings
None at this time.
AASD-Represented CLASSIFIED Job Postings
None at this time.
- NEGOTIATED HOTLINE FOR AASD MEMBERS IS UP AND RUNNING! In the Return to Instruction MOU, AASD negotiated the following language:
The District will establish a “hotline” available to AASD unit members and other management who are charged with enforcing the health and safety policies and procedures where they can call or e-mail and get immediate assistance when conflicts arise, clarification is needed, or decisions must be made regarding health and safety matters. This hotline will be available on all District workdays, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and will be staffed with a person in authority who has the capability to make decisions or who has direct access to those who can make decisions. In the rare event that a message must be left, all calls will be returned promptly, within the same day.
The Hotline is up and running. AASD is pleased to announce that our AASD member, Brian Kenworthy, who is a classified manager (Operations Specialist) is the voice on the other end of the hotline. Many of you know Brian as he has worked for the district for 18 years in departments such as Human Resources, Summer School/ESY, Leadership and Learning, Labor Relations, Office of the Superintendent and the Charter School Office. Brian will be a great resource for our members and is a well-respected manager. Thank you, Brian!
This hotline is for ALL AASD represented members, both classified and certificated. The Hotline phone number is (619) 981-0760.
AASD acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
- IMPORTANT FOR ALL AASD MEMBERS IN GOOD STANDING AND RETIRED MEMBERS WHO ARE WORKING FOR SDUSD – KNOW YOUR RIGHTS! If any AASD Member in Good Standing or Retired Member who is working is contacted by the Quality Assurance Office (QAO) to attend an interview (whether they are the subject of a complaint or a witness in regards to a complaint), AASD highly suggests that the member respond that they would like to have their AASD representative present for the interview and copy the AASD Executive Director on the correspondence. If any member is denied the right to have their AASD representative present, please contact the AASD Executive Director immediately for assistance. While AASD highly suggests you have your union representative present, it is the member’s personal choice to attend alone if they wish.
- "HONORING OUR OWN" – ACSA REGION 18 ADMINISTRATOR OF THE YEAR HONOREES. Please join ACSA Region 18 at a virtual celebration on May 1 at 5:30 PM to honor Region 18 awardees. Click below for more information.
- AASD DISTINGUISHED LEADER AWARDS. Each year, AASD honors a number of members as AASD Distinguished Leaders. Please consider nominating a colleague for this award. We have wonderful co-workers throughout our AASD bargaining unit and in our retiree ranks who are worthy of recognition. The AASD Member Relations Committee is hopeful that you will take the time to nominate someone who goes "Above and Beyond!" You can nominate a co-worker from any category. The winners will be recognized on June 18 at the Zoom Celebration.
The following link will lead you to the nomination form. Nominations are due by April 30, 2021. Click below for the link to the form and criteria.
- ELEMENTARY PRINCIPALS – COULD YOUR KINDERS BENEFIT FROM AASD'S FUNDRAISER? If you have attended some of AASD’s social events over the years, you may have participated in the 50/50 raffle. The proceeds from the 50/50 raffle – which began in 2014 – have been used to supply incoming Kindergarten and TK students at a deserving elementary school (or schools) with a wonderful homework kit full of school supplies.
If you would like your elementary site to be considered for the Homework Kits for the opening of the 2021-22 school year, please complete and submit the application no later than April 30, 2021. The Member Relations Committee will review the applications and select the next school(s) to receive the Homework Kits. The lucky school(s) will be announced in the beginning of June. The following link will lead you to the form for consideration. Forms are due by April 30, 2021. Click below for the link to the form.
- AASD IS AWARDING $750 SCHOLARSHIPS TO CHILDREN OF OUR AASD MEMBERS IN GOOD STANDING. The AASD Scholarship Committee is pleased to announce that sons/daughters (including step-sons and step-daughters) of AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Retired members and AASD Affiliate members who are graduating seniors this year are eligible for a scholarship of $750 each to be used towards higher education. The AASD Scholarship Program is funded by dues from AASD Retired Members and from monies raised via fundraising. All members/students who apply and are qualified will receive a $750 scholarship. The application submission deadline is April 30 2021. Please click the link below for information on how to apply and for the application.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the school closures, the requirement for obtaining a signature on the form from a school official will be waived. An e-mail from the school official is acceptable. Since the AASD office remains closed, please mail your application and required essay to the AASD office via U.S. mail or scan and e-mail it to email@example.com by the deadline. APPLICATION
- FROM RANCH EVENTS – CONTINUING TO PROVIDE GREAT MEALS AT A GREAT PRICE. TIRED OF COOKING? CHECK THIS OUT https://mdp-catering-events-inc.square.site/
Tired of cooking? As many of you know, all of the AASD events at Marina Village and Scottish Rite Center are catered by Ranch Events. They make and serve delicious meals! Ranch Events opened their kitchen at the Scottish Rite Event Center (in Mission Valley) for “take out” meals – breakfast, lunch and dinner. A dinner that serves 4 adults and 2 children is just $30 and individual meals or meals for 3 can also be purchased. A great deal for home cooked food. The website link is above, meals can be ordered in advance or the order can be placed on the same day (see website for more information). This is a great way to take a night day off from cooking and still be able to feed yourself and/or your family at a reasonable price. They also have vegetarian meals, soups and desserts as well as group platter meals. AASD has partnered with Ranch Events for many years and we are pleased they are able to provide this service which allows them to continue to employ staff. Feel free to share this information with anyone you wish to. Many of our AASD members have tried the meals and the feedback has been positive.
- AFSA SCHOLARSHIP FOR GRADUATING SENIORS
The AFSA Diann Woodard Scholarship is available exclusively to the children of AFSA members in good standing. The AFSA General Executive Board selects the awardees based on academic excellence, passion for volunteerism and display of exceptional work ethic.
All AASD Members in Good Standing and Affiliate Members with AFSA are eligible for their graduating senior to apply for the American Federation of School Administrators Diann Woodard scholarship. Five $2500 scholarships will be awarded. The deadline to apply is May 28, 2021. (Last year an AASD member’s child was awarded one of the scholarships!). All applicants must be a graduating high school senior who will be attending college for the first time in 2021.
Students who apply must clearly express their goals for the future and appropriately tie these goals to their higher education aspirations. https://afsascholarshipapplication.org/
- SEE'S CANDIES See's is now offering gift cards instead of the paper gift certificates. The paper gift certificates are no longer available for purchase, but if you have any of the paper gift certificates, they are still valid and will be honored at stores.
The new gift cards are available for purchase from AASD by members in good standing, affiliate members and retired members. The gift cards are valued at $25, but the discounted cost for our members is just $21.25. This is a savings of $3.75 per gift card!
As you know, the AASD office is closed and staff is working remotely, but we can still offer this benefit to you. If you are interested in purchasing gift cards, simply email Linda Crout-Hamel (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please email your request and provide your phone number so she can call you to discuss your order and payment options (credit or debit card, check). The gift cards will then be mailed to the address you provide.
In addition to these gift cards, Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount store on Rosecrans. To redeem your discount, show a valid photo ID, your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612 or the office phone number 619-295-2118. Note: the acronym "AASD" will not work for the business name. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE. The AASD office remains closed, and staff are working remotely, until further notice.. The Daily Update will continue to answer any questions and address any of your concerns with regard to school closures, return to instruction and COVID-19 updates. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with a variety of news and information for AASD members.
- IMPORTANT - PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If you know of a colleague that is not receiving the Update, or if your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org.
- UNION PLUS - MONEY-SAVING PROGRAMS FOR AFSA MEMBERS! AFSA membership is provided to all AASD Members in Good Standing at no additional cost. For more information regarding AFSA and Union Plus benefits, please visit their website: https://www.theschoolleader.org/
IMPORTANT: For Members in Good Standing and Affiliate Members who have added AFSA -- If you have not turned in the “Combined AFSA Benefits Information Form,” please submit the form immediately. This form must be submitted in order to be eligible for the professional liability, legal services, etc. You do not need to list your full social security number on the form; however, AFSA has requested that you provide at least the last four digits. For a copy of the form, click here
For all our Members in Good Standing, and Affiliates and Retirees who have selected to be members of AFSA, there are many money-saving programs offered to you. Click here to review your many options!
- IMPORTANT – ELECTRONIC LINK AVAILABLE! FILL OUT YOUR AASD MEMBERSHIP RECOMMITMENT FORM NOW! This information pertains to current AASD members who were AASD members prior to June 28, 2018. It does NOT apply to Affiliate members or Retired members. Many have asked how to “re-join” AASD in light of the Supreme Court Decision, Janus v. AFSCME. If you were an AASD member on June 27, 2018, per the Decision, you automatically stayed as an AASD "Member in Good Standing" and will remain so. However, we are asking all AASD members to re-commit to AASD by completing the google form (link below). This re-confirms your AASD membership and ensures that you have access to the benefits of being an AASD member – legal representation, AASD representation, discounted services, scholarships for your children, professional development reimbursements, etc.
Some of you have already filled out the new membership form over the past year – if so, it is not necessary to complete it again. If you have any questions regarding the re-commitment form, please contact the AASD office at 619-295-2118 or e-mail one of the AASD staff members for assistance. Thank you in advance for your commitment to our Union – AASD.
To review the benefits of being an AASD member, please Click here.
- AASD COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS POSTED ON THE AASD WEBSITE. The collective bargaining agreements (contracts) for the AASD classified unit and the AASD certificated unit are posted on the AASD website. The District no longer provides a hard copy to AASD members. You are welcome to view the contracts on our website and feel free to print a copy, if you wish. To view the contracts, visit the AASD website at www.aasdcs.org and click on Governance/Contracts or Collective Bargaining/Contracts.
- AASD WEBSITE. Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website is kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (members in good standing, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information on our Union, as well as discounts for members.
If you have any feedback on the website, please e-mail email@example.com with your comments. We hope our website is a great resource for you!
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD has a partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 19th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members in Good Standing, AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
- MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA).
There are many benefits of being an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout. (click on link) Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in membership with ACSA, please click on link for information on applying via the website.
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
The Benefits Portal - In addition to discounts and specials, BenefitHub also offers CASH BACK on some products and services! Get to know the benefit portal by visiting the BenefitHub website. The site is very user friendly. It is easy to do a search under various headings and categories, including Newest, Most Popular, Local Deals, Health and Wellness and Pay Over Time, just to name a few.
Benefit Hub Service - Gift Card Outlet - Save up to 15% on gift cards from over 70 popular merchants. The NEW Gift Card Outlet is in the Discount Marketplace.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- AASD Contact Information During the District Closure:
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- email@example.com 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- email@example.com
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily and Weekly Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.